OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject:

LMA could have been unhappy, he recently sat down with Pop to clear the air/get on the same page.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject:

Aldrige opting in as part of the extension makes no sense to me.

The only way this makes sense for the Spurs is if he opts out of the 22 mil option and they give him a long term deal for a lower amount that helps with their cap space next summer.

As reported this is another very questionable move of this terrible Spurs offseason.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject:

How about Deng (3yr, $54 million) for Dellavedova (3yr, $29 million) and Teletovic (2yr, $21 million)

Milwaukee takes on $4 million total in salary but defers a lot of their obligation to year three. Deng is a good fit on their roster, both on and off the court. LA breaks Deng's contract into smaller parts making it easier to reduce the stretch costs. Chances are better they are able to move Teletovic for an expiring via modest sweeteners than Deng. Some team may want frontcourt shooting for a playoff run (e.g. Minnesota, Philly). Delly gives LA a legit vet at backup PG. He also may appeal to LeBron come free agency time, though obviously that creates other cap space considerations.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject:

3 year 72M deal per Woj...

Does that hurt there chances at pursuing LeBron?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject:

I'm not sure why the Spurs felt the need to lock LMA up for 3 more years.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

Probably got a word from LeBrons camp that he’s not interested in joining the Spurs and they went ahead and used some of the cap on LMA, seems like the Spurs are willing to take some step back as a top encholon team in the NBA which is good for us.
HAWAIIGUY27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject:

In keeping the Orlando Magic-LA Lakers history going, one player I'm keeping an eye on this season as a potential MAX offer guy next season is Aaron Gordon, who, like Julius, did not receive an extension offer from his current team. Since the Magic are already tied up in big salaries owed to Biyombo ($17M), Fournier ($17M), Vucevic ($12.75M), and Ross ($10.5), unless a trade is made mid-season, there's a good chance they don't match a MAX offer sheet for him.

And not just because I met the guy earlier this year, or because he's on my fantasy team, but he looks to me like a budding superstar after three very pedestrian seasons and is a much better fit in this offense, contributing more on the defensive end and displaying more versatility on the offensive end than Julius. I know it's a small sample size, but in 5 preseason games this year, he averaged 18.4ppg, 7.4rpg, 0.6apg, 0.4spg, 0.4bpg in just 24.0mpg. He also shot .536 (7.4/13.8) from the field and .429 (1.8/4.2) from three.

Both guys are listed at 6'9", but I've always felt like Julius has always played (or at least appeared to play) smaller than his size, whereas Gordon's superior athleticism and ability to play above the rim would make him especially dangerous with a passer like Ball. With Julius, I think we kind of know what player he will be in this league and his skill set isn't going to change much from where it is now. But watching Gordon this preseason and how's he's developing a legit jumper, he looks like a healthy, poor man's Blake Griffin who's just as athletic and six years younger.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

Me neither. I've never seen LMA as a good fit in Pop's system.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject:

HAWAIIGUY27 wrote:
In keeping the Orlando Magic-LA Lakers history going, one player I'm keeping an eye on this season as a potential MAX offer guy next season is Aaron Gordon, who, like Julius, did not receive an extension offer from his current team. Since the Magic are already tied up in big salaries owed to Biyombo ($17M), Fournier ($17M), Vucevic ($12.75M), and Ross ($10.5), unless a trade is made mid-season, there's a good chance they don't match a MAX offer sheet for him.

And not just because I met the guy earlier this year, or because he's on my fantasy team, but he looks to me like a budding superstar after three very pedestrian seasons and is a much better fit in this offense, contributing more on the defensive end and displaying more versatility on the offensive end than Julius. I know it's a small sample size, but in 5 preseason games this year, he averaged 18.4ppg, 7.4rpg, 0.6apg, 0.4spg, 0.4bpg in just 24.0mpg. He also shot .536 (7.4/13.8) from the field and .429 (1.8/4.2) from three.

Both guys are listed at 6'9", but I've always felt like Julius has always played (or at least appeared to play) smaller than his size, whereas Gordon's superior athleticism and ability to play above the rim would make him especially dangerous with a passer like Ball. With Julius, I think we kind of know what player he will be in this league and his skill set isn't going to change much from where it is now. But watching Gordon this preseason and how's he's developing a legit jumper, he looks like a healthy, poor man's Blake Griffin who's just as athletic and six years younger.

Two Words: Kyle Kuzma
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:32 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
3 year 72M deal per Woj...

Does that hurt there chances at pursuing LeBron?

It certainly doesn't help them. LMA shouldn't entice LeBron or any big time FA for that matter. Spurs bailing on next summer. The Pau deal put a dent in their cap space and now this one. Spurs are gonna waste Kawhi's prime years.
Dilla_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject:

If near the trade deadline Detroit start to tank and blow it up, would anyone try and trade for Avery Bradley?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject:

Spurs are making very Lakers-2013-17 level moves recently. Puzzling. Locking up Pau/LMA?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I think that Philly hopes to jump into FA pursuit in the next couple of seasons so I could see them trying to dump salary, not add it.

With Embiid now locked in, they won't be FA players this offseason or the next. (And Covington may be the next).
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Spurs are making very Lakers-2013-17 level moves recently. Puzzling. Locking up Pau/LMA?

Wasting Kawhi's prime years. Oh well, I do not mind it at all.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
HAWAIIGUY27 wrote:

Two Words: Kyle Kuzma

Three words: Restricted Free Agent.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject:

Woj says San Antonio didn't have a better alternative available in free agency to partner with Leonard.
ESPN
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject:

HAWAIIGUY27 wrote:

recently a Magic fan suggested a trade involving BI and Gordon....no real details on what else would be involved....but in the end it was something like BI & Randle for Gordon + something else + 2018 Pick. At first, sounded crazy....but his argument was more compelling if you accept that Gordon has a higher ceiling and is a superior player to Randle, and you believe that Kuzma will ultimately be as good or nearly as good as BI will be.

He was looking at it from the Magic standpoint of getting BI, and possibly letting Randle walk (or resign if reasonable). He thinks Gordon is going to have a break out year and expect to get paid this summer.

Last edited by adkindo on Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:50 am; edited 1 time in total
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
I think that Philly hopes to jump into FA pursuit in the next couple of seasons so I could see them trying to dump salary, not add it.

With Embiid now locked in, they won't be FA players this offseason or the next. (And Covington may be the next).

Yinoma, how bad did you hate my LA/Philly trade suggestion on previous page?
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Woj says San Antonio didn't have a better alternative available in free agency to partner with Leonard.
ESPN

Evidently no whispers of something being possible from LeBron or Paul George.

Cousins?
Doesn't seem like a player Pop would want to deal with for an entire season.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Yinoma, how bad did you hate my LA/Philly trade suggestion on previous page?

I've been in vacation, ironically in LA for the last week so I'm just catching up. What's the trade proposal?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject:

this was it....keep in mind, it's goal is trying to achieve the 2 Max cap space

adkindo wrote:
recently was listening to a segment on SiriusXM's NBA channel focused on how Jahlil Okafor has been overly criticized and basically being misused in Philly. A fantasy trade that could be beneficial to the Lakers long term....

Lakers get:
Jahlil Okafor
Justin Anderson

76'ers get:
Julius Randle
Jordan Clarkson

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y7h4c9l9

Lakers do it because they get to take a flyer on an extremely talented offensive big man, and get a tough defensive minded wing player. Both under contract for 2 more years, and Lakers would have their Bird Rights.

Most importantly, they will both count for less than $7 Million against the 2018/19 cap, while shedding Clarkson's salary (and Randle's cap hold)....which I think puts them in close position to the 2 Max slots by stretching Deng.

Also clears the logjam at the #4....provides Kuzma more minutes, and Anderson could be a long term backup for BI.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

76'ers do it because Randle and Clarkson would be a nice bump to their bench. Randle may even be a long term fit as a more traditional #4 with their young core, while Clarkson would come off the books before they have to begin making large commitments to Simmons and Faulk. They are currently almost $20 Million under the cap which would allow them to take on the salary this season.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
32 wrote:
ESPN

Cousins?

Correct. Pop is the alpha for that team, not the players. A wild card like
Cousins would be anti-everything that team stands for.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
this was it....keep in mind, it's goal is trying to achieve the 2 Max cap space

adkindo wrote:
recently was listening to a segment on SiriusXM's NBA channel focused on how Jahlil Okafor has been overly criticized and basically being misused in Philly. A fantasy trade that could be beneficial to the Lakers long term....

Lakers get:
Jahlil Okafor
Justin Anderson

76'ers get:
Julius Randle
Jordan Clarkson

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y7h4c9l9

Lakers do it because they get to take a flyer on an extremely talented offensive big man, and get a tough defensive minded wing player. Both under contract for 2 more years, and Lakers would have their Bird Rights.

Most importantly, they will both count for less than $7 Million against the 2018/19 cap, while shedding Clarkson's salary (and Randle's cap hold)....which I think puts them in close position to the 2 Max slots by stretching Deng.

Also clears the logjam at the #4....provides Kuzma more minutes, and Anderson could be a long term backup for BI.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

76'ers do it because Randle and Clarkson would be a nice bump to their bench. Randle may even be a long term fit as a more traditional #4 with their young core, while Clarkson would come off the books before they have to begin making large commitments to Simmons and Faulk. They are currently almost $20 Million under the cap which would allow them to take on the salary this season.

I would like this for no other reason its free's up time for Kuzma and Deng, I think Deng given around 24 mins could add some value to himself, also though I dont like Okafor I always liked Anderson.

Randle and especially Clarkson in alot of ways is also addition by subtraction with the direction this team is going
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:

I would like this for no other reason its free's up time for Kuzma and Deng, I think Deng given around 24 mins could add some value to himself, also though I dont like Okafor I always liked Anderson.

Randle and especially Clarkson in alot of ways is also addition by subtraction with the direction this team is going

I am in the minority on Okafor, but I do think he has value in the right situation, which is probably a highly offensive producing big off the bench....looks to be in better shape this season, and the guy gets buckets when he is on the floor. I think he has much more value than Zubac in that role.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
32 wrote:
ESPN

Cousins?

I don’t think that Lebron was a fit there and maybe SAS knows that PG isn’t in play. Cousins there is intriguing, that one bears more thought.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 9 of 2680
Jump to: