OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
2019 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
governator wrote:
Lonzo-Avery-PG13-Randle/Kuzma-Lopez --> playoff? home court?

Def a playoff team. But is Bradley/Brook enough of an attraction for PG13 to leave WB/Melo?

Not even close enough for him to leave unless Lonzo is the 2nd coming and Ingram looks like a young star.

IMO, PG has every reason to stay in OKC. LeBron would attract him but I'm skeptical (highly skeptical) that he'd even look at a Cousins signing as a more attractive situation-- unless coming home and this brand/platform is bigger than I think he wants.

I think Westbrook being from LA is a huge detriment to our appeal-- Westbrook can make the case to PG in private that he did it.

We'll see. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I still think PG13/Lakers is a very solid chance. It should be interesting to see how he likes playing with a heavy ball dominant WB instead of a ball mover like Lonzo.

Or how he likes playing with the MVP compared to a rookie who hasn’t accomplished anything.

The WB experience isn't for everyone. Even with KD his usage rate was ridiculous. Now he has to share with PG13 AND Melo. Good luck with that.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject:

Magic is good at playing the hype game and those who want to believe will do so. When he took over we were going to be big players in FA, then that became 2018. The hype changes with the circumstances. I love that he is generating interest in the team but choose to ignore his hype. Show it on the floor, not in the media.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
2019 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
governator wrote:

Def a playoff team. But is Bradley/Brook enough of an attraction for PG13 to leave WB/Melo?

Not even close enough for him to leave unless Lonzo is the 2nd coming and Ingram looks like a young star.

IMO, PG has every reason to stay in OKC. LeBron would attract him but I'm skeptical (highly skeptical) that he'd even look at a Cousins signing as a more attractive situation-- unless coming home and this brand/platform is bigger than I think he wants.

I think Westbrook being from LA is a huge detriment to our appeal-- Westbrook can make the case to PG in private that he did it.

We'll see. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I still think PG13/Lakers is a very solid chance. It should be interesting to see how he likes playing with a heavy ball dominant WB instead of a ball mover like Lonzo.

Or how he likes playing with the MVP compared to a rookie who hasn’t accomplished anything.

The WB experience isn't for everyone. Even with KD his usage rate was ridiculous. Now he has to share with PG13 AND Melo. Good luck with that.

The lottery experience isn’t for everyone either. I have no idea what PG will do but if he truly wants to win, as he has said, he won’t come here. We are probably 3-4 years away from being that destination. He used us to get what he wanted and now he will see if that is what he really wanted.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Magic is good at playing the hype game and those who want to believe will do so. When he took over we were going to be big players in FA, then that became 2018. The hype changes with the circumstances. I love that he is generating interest in the team but choose to ignore his hype. Show it on the floor, not in the media.

We had 21m in functional cap space in 2017, as opposed to being able to clear about 60-65m in 2018. You don't think he realized that in a shrinking cap environment, and with 2 big names like LBJ/PG13 being available in 2018, that he realized it's prudent to go after the big game instead of blowing cap space on a 2nd tier player like Hayward?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

We had 21m in functional cap space in 2017, as opposed to being able to clear about 60-65m in 2018. You don't think he realized that in a shrinking cap environment, and with 2 big names like LBJ/PG13 being available in 2018, that he realized it's prudent to go after the big game instead of blowing cap space on a 2nd tier player like Hayward?

Again, it is hype, all PR. We weren’t signing a top FA last offseason and it is doubtful we do next offseason.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
2019 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
governator wrote:

The lottery experience isn’t for everyone either. I have no idea what PG will do but if he truly wants to win, as he has said, he won’t come here. We are probably 3-4 years away from being that destination. He used us to get what he wanted and now he will see if that is what he really wanted.

We wouldn't be a lottery team with him and another max player, as well as continued growth from our core.

If he likes being the unquestioned #2, maybe #3 guy on OKC, so be it.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject:

The question for the board was did Kupchak and Jim have to spend the money to overpay Mosgov/Deng and to some degree
Clarkson?
Where they under a salary cap where they would loose the money if the did not spend it?
Wouldn't it have been smarter to wait until a real max player is there before paying the big bucks.
Like sure PG and James are worth the max. But they will probably want to be on winning teams.
Lopez would seem like a keeper. He is close to an all star and can score 20 ppg.
Randle is a real maybe for he cannot shoot.
Kuzma is a keeper.
Lonzo is a keeper.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Shams Charania‏
Verified account
 @ShamsCharania 49s
49 seconds ago

More
Sources: Bulls forwards Bobby Portis and Nikola Mirotic were involved in serious altercation in practice today, leaving Mirotic hospitalized and out indefinitely. Story coming.

We have a former Bull who is going to start for us at forward that we can give them.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Mirotic was taken to the hospital Tuesday after their shoving altercation during practice ended with an alleged cheap shot from Portis to Mirotic’s face, league sources told The Vertical. Mirotic is undergoing tests, but is expected to be out for the foreseeable future, league sources said.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Shams Charania‏
Verified account
 @ShamsCharania 49s
49 seconds ago

More
Sources: Bulls forwards Bobby Portis and Nikola Mirotic were involved in serious altercation in practice today, leaving Mirotic hospitalized and out indefinitely. Story coming.

We have a former Bull who is going to start for us at forward that we can give them.

Quote:

Bobby Marks‏Verified account
@BobbyMarks42
Following Following @BobbyMarks42
More
There is a clause in the player contract that allows a team to terminate a contract if a violent act is committed.
3:44 PM - 17 Oct 2017

New way to clear cap space!! Come on Corey, piss Deng off and bait him into attacking you and we'll retire your jersey.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject:

Bulls are in some serious trouble
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject:

Portis is a 22-year-old who looks like a decent player, and is on a cheap contract for one more year (this season). I wonder if the Bulls would really release him. If they do, the Nets most likely get the first crack at claiming him, so it would be interesting to see how teams would view him. He's also got to be looking at a suspension from the league, I would imagine.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

We get it. You hate Magic & Pelinka and love Jim & Mitch. You talk about it in every post. Sounds like you want this front office (including Jeanie) to fail.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

We get it. You hate Magic & Pelinka and love Jim & Mitch. You talk about it in every post. Sounds like you want this front office (including Jeanie) to fail.

Didn't someone once say that VLF was Mitch?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

No they said you're Chuck E Cheese
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Well, the speculation was that he was someone close to Mitch or Jim, but based on his responses of late, in guessing he's close to Mitch. Mitch deserves a statue as much as anyone else in this organization. He's done a lot of great things for the Lakers and their fans. The Gasol trade being the highlight in my opinion. But we are on a fan forum, and sometimes you're gonna hear some jokes and criticisms about everyone, including a regime who left us with MozDeng. I just noticed VLF is just pounding on Magic every chance he gets. Not sure if it's personal or he wants to sway our opinions, but it gets a little old after the 1000th time.

Like I said, Mitch deserves a statue. Over Phil even. But give Magic a chance. He's barely gotten his feet. He knows more about basketball than all of us combined. I have no problem stating Magic was wrong, like when he tried to turn Ingram into Kobe overnight. But to call this new regime a "clown show" before they even begin is a bit over-dramatic.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

No you don’t get it, I don’t hate Magic and Pelinka, l just don’t live on their every word like some here. I give credit when it is due and criticism when it is due. Magic spreads it on thick and you can believe him if you want but it is just PR.

Last edited by venturalakersfan on Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

He's not wrong... and I generally never ever agree with him. Just today on Skip and Shannon, Magic was asked about having max cap space for someone next summer and he corrected Skip with "two max spots". Catergorically false. We'd have to trade JC, renounce Julius, and either trade Deng for nothing or stretch him for that us to have 2 max slots to pay out.

(Which is not something you want to keep putting out there for guys like JC and Julius to have in the back of their minds.)

Magic also went open to keep talking about how great OKC will be and how PG is in a perfect situation-- not a very shrewd move if the plan is to convince him to come here next summer.

So yes, VLF is right. Magic gets caught up in the showmanship and the hyperbole far too often.

Last edited by 2019 on Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

He's not wrong... and I generally never ever agree with him. Just today on Skip and Shannon, Magic was asked about having max cap space for someone next summer and he corrected Skip with "two max spots". Catergorically false, we have to trade JC, renounce Julius, and either trade Deng for nothing or stretch him for that us to have 2 max slots to pay out.

Which is not something you want to keep putting out there for guys like JC and Julius to have in the back of their minds.

Magic also went open to keep talking about how great OKC will be and how PG is in a perfect situation-- not a very shrewd move if the plan is to convince him to come here next summer.

So yes, VLF is right. Magic gets caught up in the showmanship and the hyperbole far too often.

I think Magic just wants the Lakers to be great again and is gonna do whatever possible to make that happen.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

No you don’t get it, I don’t hate Magic and Pelinka, l just don’t live on their every word like some here. I give credit when it is due and criticism when it is due. Magic spreads it on thick and you can believe him if you want but it is just PR.

VLF doesn't have the Mitch cadence. If VLF were Mitch, the above post would have read like this:

No, you don't get it...I don't hate Magic and Pelinka...I just don't live on their every word like some here. I give credit when it is due...and criticism when it is due. Magic...spreads it on thick...and you can believe him if you want...but it is just...PR.

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject:

I pictured Steve Mason reading that in his Mitch voice.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

👍🏿 Either way, Mitch deserves a statue.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I pictured Steve Mason reading that in his Mitch voice.

That's what I was going for.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Horrific news on Hayward. Just horrible.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Horrific news on Hayward. Just horrible.

Gruesome injury. I don't care what jersey he is wearing. If you have a heart, you don't want to see that happen.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 11 of 2680
Jump to: