OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1019, 1020, 1021 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:
adkindo wrote:
MJST wrote:
And the fact Elfrid Payton got sent away for a 2nd round pick.

every time the Magic give up on a young player....hurry and get in line because it is almost automatic they will have big time success in their new city.

Then why is Dlo coming off the bench in a cellar dweller like the Nets?
yep, big time success

try reading it again....then please apologize.
mookielala
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Trade was fine, but ideally it could have been the summer. But a bird in the hand is probably a smart move... I don't know enough about the market to know if we could get a similar deal in the summer. The pick is nice.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject:

chantruong wrote:
CantStopJM wrote:
Lol people crying about Nance and Clarkson.

Unbelievable. Even in a trade that we unanimously got declared as winners from NBA media who hate all things Lakers, people still complain.

Wait till, tommorow, ESPN will say how we got killed in this trade.

All it will take tbh is us losing to New Orleans whom is in a free fall for the narrative to change about Magic going for a 'washed up name' and killing the team's youth and depth for cap space. I don't think IT is washed up btw lol, but that's how the story will become. Lakers traded away youth and depth, for a 'name' player that they should have been unsure about. Again as the old saying goes, "How very New York Knicks of you..."

Then in the off-season when we don't get George or James, all eyes will either be on the front office for stupid decision making, or ESPN is going to blow smoke up the FO's rear by asking for patience and going "it was just his first year as an executive and look at what they did with Kuzma!" -_-

So hopefully for the Lakers sake, they win tomorrow.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
P.K. wrote:
adkindo wrote:
MJST wrote:

every time the Magic give up on a young player....hurry and get in line because it is almost automatic they will have big time success in their new city.

yep, big time success

yep, I read it as everytime Magic (johnson) gives up on a young player
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject:

Abrines is a scrub. SMH
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

CantStopJM wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
CantStopJM wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
MJST wrote:
Clarkson looks the way he's been looking the past few weeks when he got a consistent 6th man role.

Some of ya'll are just NOW acknowledging it cause he isn't wearing a Lakers jersey anymore.

JC was looking like he might be blossoming too. I think we paid too heavy a price in order to keep Jules and sign two max. I don't think PG13 is that good of a player that will make a great impact. Lebron, maybe, he could make the Lakers immediate contender for a few years but seeing as how Cleveland is playing right now, it'd be hard for him to leave Cleveland if they made it the NBA Finals again.

We paid a high price to sign two max and keep Jules? That high price is Nance and Clarkson? So you rather have those two over two MAX FAs? I just want to make sure I understood.

I'm starting to think some of you guys actually like missing the playoffs.

A "chance" at two max. A lot of you guys excited about the trade seem to assume we're going to get two superstars for certain.

So how else are we supposed to get two maxes if we don't clear space?

You clear space AFTER you get commitment.

Like what the Celtics JUST did.

Also don't bring up Miami, they were a top 5 defensive team that made the playoffs the year before and already had a Superstar in Dwyane Wade already on the roster.

If the Heat weren't a playoff team and had no Wade, they'd get no Bosh or LeBron. So it's apples to oranges trying to use that as an example of the same 'chance' the Lakers would be taking.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

Summer pitch:

1. LeBron is PG as your #2 with Lonzo/BI/Kuzma/Hart +/- Randle better than your current squad?
2. PG is LBJ as your running mate, along with Lonzo/BI/Kuzma/Hart +/- Randle better than your current squad?

Oh, by the way, all these guys will get better and we’ll be able to resign all of them
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
It’s not rocket science. Role players play better with better players. I bet Lonzo/bi/Kuz would look amazing too alongside lbj/Pg13 too.

It would be something to watch. Ingram is already up to nearly 40% from 3 this season. Imagine the shots he would be getting with Lebron/PG13 on the floor. Kuzma's 3 has been slipping but I think he will be easily over 40% on that team with a year experience with him taking smarter shots.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Boy, Paul George looked really garbage today. I don't know. I actually prefer to have Kuzma to be our permanent starter at the 4 with Ingram at the 3. I would start Lebron over Kuz but not PG13 over Kuz.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

Nance at his salary was the tough one to lose (and the reason why they gave us a 1st). Having a more dynamic player like LBJ who draws so much gravity makes him so much better too.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

mookielala wrote:
adkindo wrote:
anyone watch the new Showtime Documentary series "The Trade"? That whole NE & Central Ohio area is a drug addiction cesspool....it's pretty sad.

Is it good? I was thinking of watching it.

it is....but it is also very sad if your daily life is not in that world. I hear stories from my hometown in WV, and I think it is much worse than many are aware of....it's no longer just about troubled and poor kids or whatever the perception/stereotype has been in the past....it's across all segments of society.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject:

How would Larry and KLove do at the 4 and 5 spot?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:
adkindo wrote:
P.K. wrote:
adkindo wrote:
MJST wrote:

yep, big time success

yep, I read it as everytime Magic (johnson) gives up on a young player

what does Magic Johnson have to do with Elfrid Payton? Who calls Magic Johnson...."the Magic"?
JPaulK0n
Star Player
Star Player

how reactionary folks are. People assumed the Lakers had to throw in a 1st rounder just to get rid of Clarkson's contract, who is way overpaid in the declining salary cap market, especially with Lou Williams going to make 8 million. Lakers were lucky that a desperate Cav's team actually gave up their own first rounder for Clarkson's bad contract to give Lakers cap space. JC had promise, but paying a bench player close to 13 million a year in the declining salary cap market does not make sense anymore. Trust me, role players are not going to result in LeBron changing his mind to stay, it's about having Superstars, it's LeBron, Love, and role players aren't coming close to competing with the Warriors.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

lakersfever714 wrote:
Boy, Paul George looked really garbage today. I don't know. I actually prefer to have Kuzma to be our permanent starter at the 4 with Ingram at the 3. I would start Lebron over Kuz but not PG13 over Kuz.

Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
CantStopJM wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
CantStopJM wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
MJST wrote:
Clarkson looks the way he's been looking the past few weeks when he got a consistent 6th man role.

Some of ya'll are just NOW acknowledging it cause he isn't wearing a Lakers jersey anymore.

JC was looking like he might be blossoming too. I think we paid too heavy a price in order to keep Jules and sign two max. I don't think PG13 is that good of a player that will make a great impact. Lebron, maybe, he could make the Lakers immediate contender for a few years but seeing as how Cleveland is playing right now, it'd be hard for him to leave Cleveland if they made it the NBA Finals again.

We paid a high price to sign two max and keep Jules? That high price is Nance and Clarkson? So you rather have those two over two MAX FAs? I just want to make sure I understood.

A "chance" at two max. A lot of you guys excited about the trade seem to assume we're going to get two superstars for certain.

Also don't bring up Miami, they were a top 5 defensive team that made the playoffs the year before and already had a Superstar in Dwyane Wade already on the roster.

If the Heat weren't a playoff team and had no Wade, they'd get no Bosh or LeBron. So it's apples to oranges trying to use that as an example of the same 'chance' the Lakers would be taking.

Not so easy to clear space when the league seems to be colluding against you. Not saying that it wouldn't work... but historically speaking it seems as though teams haven't wanted to help us and some have outright worked to sabotage us.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

eureca wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Not that PG is leading the league in steals and deflections, shooting a career high from 3.
Arbitrary
Star Player
Star Player

governator wrote:
Summer pitch:

1. LeBron is PG as your #2 with Lonzo/BI/Kuzma/Hart +/- Randle better than your current squad?
2. PG is LBJ as your running mate, along with Lonzo/BI/Kuzma/Hart +/- Randle better than your current squad?

Oh, by the way, all these guys will get better and we’ll be able to resign all of them

We need to trade Deng if we want to keep Randle. Right? Or was it just doing the extend+stretch scenario?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

yinoma2001 wrote:
It’s not rocket science. Role players play better with better players. I bet Lonzo/bi/Kuz would look amazing too alongside lbj/Pg13 too.

Sorry, but no.

Clarkson and Nance look just like how they've looked with us recently.

it just takes them putting on another jersey before they're actually appreciated for what they bring to the table.

Clarkson's last few weeks with us he was playing like a Super 6th man with a Lou Will-like potential and Larry was a good off the bench energy guy.

Those things didn't 'go away' when they went to the Cavs. they were amplified by the fact they aren't wearing Lakers jerseys anymore and for whatever the [expletive] reason, THAT is when the same fans that complained about them actually notice what they bring to the table.

Heck if I know why.

Same would happen had Jules went somewhere else. He'd have put up 20/10 on any other team and the reason some fans would have went with was "See? He needed to be out of our situation to play this well, good for him." instead of "Well he was already playing that way for us, we just got rid of him to chase free agents we have no clue are coming or not."
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

The summer pitch was made to Klay by PG, we will be the longest team to ever step on the floor.

Ball
Klay
PG
Bi
Lopez
CantStopJM
Star Player
Star Player

MJST wrote:
CantStopJM wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
CantStopJM wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
MJST wrote:

If we cleared space after commitments, we wouldn't have a first rounder
which is huge.

What other team out there was giving us space and a first rounder by free agency? What difference does it make if we clear the space now instead of after the draft aside from the obvious first round pick?

Seriously, you guys are losing your (bleep) over Larry Nance and Jordan Clarkson who was probably the most hated rotational player after Tyler Ennis. All of a sudden he was going to be a key piece to our championship aspirations.

Clarkson playing well on a team he's not allowed to chuck and play like an idiot, good for him. You guys assume he would play like this on our team when history shows he wouldn't.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
The Cavs bench is better than the starters.

I feel a little bit better with this trade after we start winning a few games with IT and Frye.

Think about what you just said.

Yeah, I doesn’t look that good now, but I always look back to the lake show of the 90’s for reference. NVE, Eddie and Ceballos were never winning a chip until FA help came.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

1st rounder is going to land us another impact player on a rookie contract. That is the confidence you need to have in our scouting department at this point.
mookielala
Star Player
Star Player

adkindo wrote:
mookielala wrote:
adkindo wrote:
anyone watch the new Showtime Documentary series "The Trade"? That whole NE & Central Ohio area is a drug addiction cesspool....it's pretty sad.

Is it good? I was thinking of watching it.

it is....but it is also very sad if your daily life is not in that world. I hear stories from my hometown in WV, and I think it is much worse than many are aware of....it's no longer just about troubled and poor kids or whatever the perception/stereotype has been in the past....it's across all segments of society.

I'm actually 23 years in recovery -- had some rough days -- so I know something about that world. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Yeah, I've heard about the opioid crisis in WV. I think I saw a different doc that was based there a few years ago. That was good too.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

MJST wrote:
CantStopJM wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
CantStopJM wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
MJST wrote:

The issue is that you may have to give up more to make space for those guys or there might not even be anyone out there to make a deal with. What would have been the price to move Clarkson in the summer?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1019, 1020, 1021 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 1020 of 2680
Jump to: