OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1064, 1065, 1066 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Wow, Houston has really grown in the last 20 years.

In looking up some numbers, it might depend on which parts of each city are considered incorporated/unincorporated, as to which city is actually the largest by land area. Both are somewhere near 600 square miles, give or take.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
Quote:
[Katz] Silver on if the NBA should just put the 16 best teams in the playoffs and not deal with conferences: "That is something that's gotten serious attention."

My crazy prediction of the future: LeBron going to the Lakers leads to the playoff conferences ending due to the biggest stars in the league and best 2 teams being the Warriors & Lakers. Best 16 teams in the playoffs makes the most sense and much more intriguing than the current playoff format.

Ya if Bron goes West.. it's in the NBAs best monetary interest to eliminate the conferences. East will have no competition for GSW, Finals will have no juice

Boston...

They're a legacy team.. but they're not competition..Not close. Hawyward is a borderline allstar in the West

If Tatum gets to Durant's level, (which I don't seeing happening at all) this Celtics team still not going to be able to compete with this Warriors team. Unless they trade for Anthony Davis or somehow able to trade for Kawhi Leonard who isn't going to re-up with the Spurs, Celtics need at least 4 All-Star players to match-up with the Warriors. Kyrie, Hayward, & Horford are a really good core, but not even close enough to match up shooting and scoring wise with the Warriors. Celtics have Kyrie who can match Curry, but now need another player the caliber of Durant to really beat the Warriors.

Yea.. you need about 3 legit stars to compete with the Warriors..they have one. Lol.

I disagree. Not everyone can mesh that many stars together and win. Houston is doing just fine with two stars

I'm with Van Gundy...GS beats Hou with minimal problems in May
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
Quote:
[Katz] Silver on if the NBA should just put the 16 best teams in the playoffs and not deal with conferences: "That is something that's gotten serious attention."

My crazy prediction of the future: LeBron going to the Lakers leads to the playoff conferences ending due to the biggest stars in the league and best 2 teams being the Warriors & Lakers. Best 16 teams in the playoffs makes the most sense and much more intriguing than the current playoff format.

Ya if Bron goes West.. it's in the NBAs best monetary interest to eliminate the conferences. East will have no competition for GSW, Finals will have no juice

Boston...

They're a legacy team.. but they're not competition..Not close. Hawyward is a borderline allstar in the West

If Tatum gets to Durant's level, (which I don't seeing happening at all) this Celtics team still not going to be able to compete with this Warriors team. Unless they trade for Anthony Davis or somehow able to trade for Kawhi Leonard who isn't going to re-up with the Spurs, Celtics need at least 4 All-Star players to match-up with the Warriors. Kyrie, Hayward, & Horford are a really good core, but not even close enough to match up shooting and scoring wise with the Warriors. Celtics have Kyrie who can match Curry, but now need another player the caliber of Durant to really beat the Warriors.

Yea.. you need about 3 legit stars to compete with the Warriors..they have one. Lol.

They have 2 with the chance of either Tatum or Brown becoming the third. No one's competing with the Warriors in the next couple years, but Boston will likely be the second best team in the league as early as next season.

Why can't there be a distinction between a really good player and a star.. Hayward is not a star.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject:

Maybe the Warriors are bored or going through the motions, but this will not be as easy as last season. They haven’t looked like a championship team, something seems off. They might get it all together May/June, but right now they don’t look like that unbeatable team that many think they are...
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
Quote:

Boston...

They have 2 with the chance of either Tatum or Brown becoming the third. No one's competing with the Warriors in the next couple years, but Boston will likely be the second best team in the league as early as next season.

Why can't there be a distinction between a really good player and a star.. Hayward is not a star.

There is. I just disagree on which of those groups he belongs to.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Maybe the Warriors are bored or going through the motions, but this will not be as easy as last season. They haven’t looked like a championship team, something seems off. They might get it all together May/June, but right now they don’t look like that unbeatable team that many think they are...

I agree that it won't be as easy, but when you've played as much basketball as these guys have played over the past 3 seasons, it feels like they are going through the motions for much of the regular season. You have to pick your spots. They know that better than anyone. In that amazing season two seasons ago, they failed to win the championship, and part of that was because they expended so much energy to get the wins record, that they were a bit spent during the playoffs. Remember, they were lucky just to get by the Thunder even before the Finals. Everyone talks about how they blew the 3-1 lead in the Finals, but they almost lost to OKC and probably should have.

It's also why I am not just anointing them as the champion next season or certainly after that. If we could get LeBron and PG, I'm conceding nothing to that team.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

I agree that it won't be as easy, but when you've played as much basketball as these guys have played over the past 3 seasons, it feels like they are going through the motions for much of the regular season. You have to pick your spots. They know that better than anyone. In that amazing season two seasons ago, they failed to win the championship, and part of that was because they expended so much energy to get the wins record, that they were a bit spent during the playoffs. Remember, they were lucky just to get by the Thunder even before the Finals. Everyone talks about how they blew the 3-1 lead in the Finals, but they almost lost to OKC and probably should have.

It's also why I am not just anointing them as the champion next season or certainly after that. If we could get LeBron and PG, I'm conceding nothing to that team.

I don't think that had anything to do with them losing. The Thunder were simply more talented than they were, and a suspension and an injury did them in against Cleveland.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

I don't think that had anything to do with them losing. The Thunder were simply more talented than they were, and a suspension and an injury did them in against Cleveland.

Steph was not 100%, if I recall correctly, and I absolutely believe it was a factor. I think they've talked about it, from what I remember. Last year, they noticeably took it much easier during the regular season, and the same with this season. Kerr has basically turned into Popovich with how he gives his guys periodic rest. They didn't do that during the chase for the wins record.
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
mookielala wrote:
Quote:
Oklahoma City is the capital of the U.S. state of Oklahoma. It's known for its cowboy culture and capitol complex, surrounded by working oil wells. The reflecting pool and empty glass and bronze chairs of the Oklahoma City National Memorial recall the victims of the 1995 bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building. The Survivor Tree, an American elm nearly destroyed in the attack, is also part of the memorial.
Population:638,367 (2016)
Elevation:1,201′
Metro population:1,373,211

https://goo.gl/maps/63SxTDK3HPM2

Should also note that at one time OKC had KD/Harden/WB on the same team but decided to break it all up piece by piece.

Before their primes too. Could have been a dynasty if they valued winning over profits.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject:

scooterp10 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
mookielala wrote:
Quote:
Oklahoma City is the capital of the U.S. state of Oklahoma. It's known for its cowboy culture and capitol complex, surrounded by working oil wells. The reflecting pool and empty glass and bronze chairs of the Oklahoma City National Memorial recall the victims of the 1995 bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building. The Survivor Tree, an American elm nearly destroyed in the attack, is also part of the memorial.

Should also note that at one time OKC had KD/Harden/WB on the same team but decided to break it all up piece by piece.

Before their primes too. Could have been a dynasty if they valued winning over profits.

A screw-up of epic proportions. They let James Harden get away over a few million dollars, and/or amnestying Kendrick Perkins.
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
mookielala wrote:
Quote:

A screw-up of epic proportions. They let James Harden get away over a few million dollars, and/or amnestying Kendrick Perkins.

Hopefully we don't do the same thing with Julius.
crucifixion
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject:

scooterp10 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
mookielala wrote:
Quote:

Considering Julius is no where near what harden was at that time, including sixth man of the year, we don't have anything to worry about if he leaves
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject:

Warriors have a different gear than everyone else. Don't be fooled by regular season Warriors in the 4th year of their run. Rockets are outstanding so if they stay healthy that would be a different challenge than they got last year. Unfortunately for the Rockets they can be a great team that in a different year might win a championship but facts are they are still in the Warriors era.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:06 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

For sure, they still get the benefit of the doubt. It’s most likely just pacing themselves just like the Cavs did prior to this year.

We will find out in May and June.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject:

LeBron + pg can take down the warriors

Last edited by Jesusdelonla on Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Victorious
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:33 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
Kyle Kuzma and Ingram already have more commercials than Paul and he's an Allstar

This. You naysayers are corrrect that endorsement opportunities are more prevelant than ever. However, there are very few inner city opportunities in OKC and the exposure they provide. There are countless more car dealerships in LA proper not to mention expos from LA to south Orange County begging for a draw to their corner of the room. True, Kevin Durant made A movie, albeit somewhat iffy in terms of its production value or advancing the overall outcome of advancing his KD’s reputation. How many lead roles is George pulling in as 2nd fiddle in OKC? This is his shot at being the star for an up n coming team to which Hollywood is desperate for. I think many of us are misreading the room here.
Victorious
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:26 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
Kyle Kuzma and Ingram already have more commercials than Paul and he's an Allstar

This. You naysayers are corrrect that endorsement opportunities are more prevelant than ever. However, there are very few inner city opportunities in OKC and the exposure they provide. There are countless more car dealerships in LA proper not to mention expos from LA to south Orange County begging for a draw to their corner of the room. True, Kevin Durant made A movie, albeit somewhat iffy in terms of its production value or advancing the overall outcome of advancing his KD’s reputation. How many lead roles is George pulling in as 2nd fiddle in OKC? This is his shot at being the star for an up n coming team to which Hollywood is desperate for. I think many of us are misreading the room here.
rogers49
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:49 am    Post subject:

scooterp10 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
mookielala wrote:
Quote:

Julius is not in the same league with Harden.
Maybe three steps below?
jg77
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject:

rogers49 wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
mookielala wrote:
Quote:

Maybe three steps below?

Three steps below? You're being kind.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject:

rogers49 wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
mookielala wrote:
Quote:

Maybe three steps below?

I don't think Harden was held in high regard around that time. He was a sixth man who didn't show up in the finals. That's not really far from from where Jules in viewed right now. I'm not saying Jules is gonna be what harden is today because I don't believe that. But in terms of the value they both had I don't think it's as lopsided as you're thinking
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
rogers49 wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
mookielala wrote:
Quote:

Maybe three steps below?

I don't think Harden was held in high regard around that time. He was a sixth man who didn't show up in the finals. That's not really far from from where Jules in viewed right now. I'm not saying Jules is gonna be what harden is today because I don't believe that. But in terms of the value they both had I don't think it's as lopsided as you're thinking

JC has also been in discussion of 6th MOY
I think if talking about potentials, it's not a gulf of difference between young Harden and young Julius... it's just that Harden was a jackpot, Jules is still a mistery
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Car54 wrote:
rogers49 wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
mookielala wrote:
Quote:

Maybe three steps below?

JC has also been in discussion of 6th MOY
I think if talking about potentials, it's not a gulf of difference between young Harden and young Julius... it's just that Harden was a jackpot, Jules is still a mistery

Agreed
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject:

Paul George just the latest homegrown star to feel Lakers’ love in free agency

Quote:
Asked Saturday if he already knew what he would do this summer, George responded, “I don’t.”

If he had left it there, the comments would have been innocuous enough.

“I know what I feel is best,” he said, “but it’s a long ways until the end of the season.”

Maybe, then, he does know.

markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject:

I'm very confident that PG is coming to L.A., and I expect LeBron to also. Hopefully the Lakers can find a way to hold on to JR. Even without picking up anybody else, a 10-man rotation of Lonzo, BI, PG, LeBron, Randle, Kuz, Hart, Zu, Bryant, and Caruso would be tremendous:

Lonzo/BI/Caruso
BI/PG/Hart
PG/LeBron/Hart
LeBron/Kuz/Randle
Randle/Zu/Bryant

I am salivating at the suffocating defense, especially in the playoffs when LeBron kicks into higher gear after cruising a bit in the regular season. To be honest, I think this team could win the championship next year.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject:

WE WANT PAUL!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1064, 1065, 1066 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 1065 of 2680
Jump to: