OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1067, 1068, 1069 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
We need "We want Lebron" chants today.

When Paul George/Lebron are on the floor at the same time we need dueling WWE chants.

"We want Paul"
"Lebron James"

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
MJST wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
https://twitter.com/billoram/status/965085874949009409

Quote:
With All-Star tomorrow and Paul George about to hit free agency, it’s time to address the belief that SoCal superstars all want to come home when its time for a new contract. Is it myth?
“There’s definitely some truth to it,” Klay Thompson said.

Klay should be the target over George imo. Timing matches up better as well.

You don’t think PG13 will leave OKC/WB but Klay will leave KD/Steph/dray?

I don’t think that either would leave the situation they are in but like everyone else here, I have no idea.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject:

I think with Paul, his decision probably rests a lot on how OKC does in the playoffs. First round they should face Min/Den/SA and they should win. 2nd round, GS or Houston. If they can beat either, I think he stays. With GS/HOU/OKC they aren’t going to get any better really, they have their rosters with mature stars on them. I think if OKC can show that they are a top 3 team who could possibly win it all the stars align, he stays. If they are just outclassed, especially by houston...I think there is a chance he leaves.

I’m sure all things being equal, he would like to play in LA...but we are years away from being a title contender, I’m sure winning > than playing in LA for him.

If George comes, then we have a chance at Lebron. So it’s pretty unlikely we get both, but possible.

No inside info or anything, just my thoughts.

Last edited by Fortysixn2 on Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Quote:
With All-Star tomorrow and Paul George about to hit free agency, it’s time to address the belief that SoCal superstars all want to come home when its time for a new contract. Is it myth?

What do you mean by the timing? George is a year younger than Klay.
hdtvset
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
32 wrote:

When Paul George/Lebron are on the floor at the same time we need dueling WWE chants.

"We want Paul"
"Lebron James"

How many fans are actually from LA in the the All Star game? Most of the tickets go to the sponsors right?
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
HOF Rookie wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
I won’t be shocked if we can’t get PG or LeBron and we sign Nurkic to a max offer sheet

You are tapping into Jim buss’s mind like no one ever has.

What about Aaron Gordon?

I like Gordon a lot but not for the max.
ToastedMuffins
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
I think with Paul, his decision probably rests a lot on how OKC does in the playoffs. First round they should face Min/Den/SA and they should win. 2nd round, GS or Houston. If they can beat either, I think he stays. With GS/HOU/OKC they aren’t going to get any better really, they have their rosters with mature stars on them. I think if OKC can show that they are a top 3 team who could possibly win it all the stars align, he stays. If they are just outclassed, especially by houston...I think there is a chance he leaves.

I’m sure all things being equal, he would like to play in LA...but we are years away from being a title contender, I’m sure winning > than playing in LA for him.

If George comes, then we have a chance at Lebron. So it’s pretty unlikely we get both, but possible.

While certainly a contributing factor, it's not that simple. George has attested that he'll make his decision based on where he can build long term. If true, then that couldn't bode any worse for OKC.

Carmelo is exiting his prime and likely will be cut in free agency to mitigate the repeater tax. Westbrook will almost certainly have exited his prime before his up to $46,000,000 per year contract expires and everyone is concerned what Westbrook's game will amount to as his athleticism begins to decline. They have no cap space for the next two seasons to add anything other than veteran minimum players to replace and fill out their porous bench. And they have no 1st round draft picks to trade to get better until 2022.

This is versus the Lakers with several young productive players on cap friendly deals. The flexibility to add another All-NBA talent next to George going forward. All of our 1st round draft picks going forward to facilitate trades to improve the team once exceed the salary cap. At least 5-6 years before we hit repeater tax territory and have to even consider reducing salary. And finally an ownership with both the capital and a record you can cite for spending whatever it takes to be the best possible team.

OKC is a team that is only going to get worse versus the Lakers who will only get better.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject:

ToastedMuffins wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:

While certainly a contributing factor, it's not that simple. George has attested that he'll make his decision based on where he can build long term. If true, then that couldn't bode any worse for OKC.

Carmelo is exiting his prime and likely will be cut in free agency to mitigate the repeater tax. Westbrook will almost certainly have exited his prime before his up to $46,000,000 per year contract expires and everyone is concerned what Westbrook's game will amount to as his athleticism begins to decline. They have no cap space for the next two seasons to add anything other than veteran minimum players to replace and fill out their porous bench. And they have no 1st round draft picks to trade to get better until 2022.

This is versus the Lakers with several young productive players on cap friendly deals. The flexibility to add another All-NBA talent next to George going forward. All of our 1st round draft picks going forward to facilitate trades to improve the team once exceed the salary cap. At least 5-6 years before we hit repeater tax territory and have to even consider reducing salary. And finally an ownership with both the capital and a record you can cite for spending whatever it takes to be the best possible team.

OKC is a team that is only going to get worse versus the Lakers who will only get better.

Agreed. Trade maybe at best 2 good years with WB or 5-7 years with a young core and plenty of assets to get better.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject:

Do you really think Carmelo will be cut in free agency to mitigate the repeater tax? I assume it would be because they sign PG.

Last edited by 32 on Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
MJST wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Quote:

Timing s in where our team will be and where our young core will hopefully be developed to after another season and a half of development.
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Do you really think Carmelo will be cut in free agency to mitigate the repeater tax? I assume it would be because they sign PG.

Nobodys going to pay him $27m if he opts out. He’s opting in.
OKC knows their handicapped with 3 stars.
Do it Mitch!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject:

JeezyXVII wrote:
32 wrote:

Yeah, he’s under contract. They can’t just cut him to get rid of his salary.

No way he opts out
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
MJST wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Quote:

Timing s in where our team will be and where our young core will hopefully be developed to after another season and a half of development.

If LA plays their cards right, they should get PG and build a solid roster for 1 year, then target Kawai or Klay to join forces with PG and our young stars next year. Plus GSW will likely impode in a year or 2, perfect timing for us to be a top West team for about 4-6 years, if not longer.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject:

JeezyXVII wrote:
MJST wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
MJST wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Quote:

If LA plays their cards right, they should get PG and build a solid roster for 1 year, then target Kawai or Klay to join forces with PG and our young stars next year. Plus GSW will likely impode in a year or 2, perfect timing for us to be a top West team for about 4-6 years, if not longer.

Playing their cards right would entail the Lakers finishing within about 4 games or so of OKC's record at the end of the season.

Which the Lakers were on pace for actually, till they traded Clarkson and Nance.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Do it Mitch! wrote:
JeezyXVII wrote:
32 wrote:

No way he opts out

Yeah, but it's doesn't mean that they couldn't trade him.
Do it Mitch!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
Do it Mitch! wrote:
JeezyXVII wrote:
32 wrote:

No way he opts out

With nothing coming back? He’d be on the last year of his deal anyway
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
Do it Mitch! wrote:
JeezyXVII wrote:
32 wrote:

No way he opts out

NTC
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
Do it Mitch! wrote:
JeezyXVII wrote:
32 wrote:

No way he opts out

NTC

Forgot about that. haha
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
JeezyXVII wrote:
MJST wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
MJST wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Quote:

Playing their cards right would entail the Lakers finishing within about 4 games or so of OKC's record at the end of the season.

Which the Lakers were on pace for actually, till they traded Clarkson and Nance.

Oh my Lord.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
If we have We want Paul chants... we need to have We want LeBron chants...

Not because I'm in love with the idea of him coming here... but to cover our bases in case he's been the FA we've been clearing room for and not Paul

Don't want to offend him, if Paul wasn't coming and LBJ was... then we might end up with neither.

No Paul needs to know he's first priority.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
Car54 wrote:
daytripper wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
32 wrote:

No we don't.

This.
I won't deny he's been a great player for a long, long time but the Lakers don't need to be chasing stars on the wrong side of 30 at this point. The CP3, LeBron players from that era just don't fit the timeline tbh esp when younger franchise players will be coming available the next year and a half in FA.

Cp0 has been great next to Harden. I could see LeBron having a great season next to Paul.

Just too bad the team that is still sitting on top will knock out both Houston, and then us because four of a kind always beats a pair.

That hasn't happened yet
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/tasmelas/status/965330572208844801
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
https://twitter.com/tasmelas/status/965330572208844801

It was a joke.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Victorious wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Kyle Kuzma and Ingram already have more commercials than Paul and he's an Allstar

This. You naysayers are corrrect that endorsement opportunities are more prevelant than ever. However, there are very few inner city opportunities in OKC and the exposure they provide. There are countless more car dealerships in LA proper not to mention expos from LA to south Orange County begging for a draw to their corner of the room. True, Kevin Durant made A movie, albeit somewhat iffy in terms of its production value or advancing the overall outcome of advancing his KD’s reputation. How many lead roles is George pulling in as 2nd fiddle in OKC? This is his shot at being the star for an up n coming team to which Hollywood is desperate for. I think many of us are misreading the room here.

Paul George has a national ad campaign with Gatorade and that was playing in Indianapolis. What Laker has a national ad campaign? Lebron’s company has a prime time network show living in Cleveland. “We’re LA” stopped being relevant over a decade ago. Now it is all about putting together winning packages.

Silly he was playing in Indiana I bet you ain't playing no more wake me up when he has commercials in NY like Kyle and Ingram does.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Victorious wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Kyle Kuzma and Ingram already have more commercials than Paul and he's an Allstar

This. You naysayers are corrrect that endorsement opportunities are more prevelant than ever. However, there are very few inner city opportunities in OKC and the exposure they provide. There are countless more car dealerships in LA proper not to mention expos from LA to south Orange County begging for a draw to their corner of the room. True, Kevin Durant made A movie, albeit somewhat iffy in terms of its production value or advancing the overall outcome of advancing his KD’s reputation. How many lead roles is George pulling in as 2nd fiddle in OKC? This is his shot at being the star for an up n coming team to which Hollywood is desperate for. I think many of us are misreading the room here.

Paul George has a national ad campaign with Gatorade and that was playing in Indianapolis. What Laker has a national ad campaign? Lebron’s company has a prime time network show living in Cleveland. “We’re LA” stopped being relevant over a decade ago. Now it is all about putting together winning packages.

Silly he was playing in Indiana I bet you ain't playing no more wake me up when he has commercials in NY like Kyle and Ingram does. dude couldn't even get voted onto the Allstar team lol
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1067, 1068, 1069 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 1068 of 2680
Jump to: