OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1070, 1071, 1072 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
^ In that scenario would we have enough to get 1 max in 2019?

Come on 32, these questions have been answered a million times. The answer is yes, assuming a reasonable number for Randle and Deng getting traded/stretched in 2019.

Last edited by PRLakeShow on Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
LakeShow500 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Maybe, maybe not. A lot can happen during a season. And it wouldn’t be to help OKC out, it would be to help keep the roster strong, just as KD did in GS.

If Carmelo gave a crap about winning, he wouldn't have signed that massive Knicks extension and would've spent his years in a franchise better suited to win games. Carmelo's priorities are, firstly, Carmelo getting paid, and then a very distant secondly, winning IMO.

Money is the reason he let the Knicks trade away their roster so the Knicks could keep his bird rights.

He didn't let the Knicks do anything. They did it of their own accord and stupidity to gut their roster for just Carmelo instead of waiting 2 months.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
I could see a scenario where Melo opts out, but only if he gets a sizable guarantee for, say, 3 years. Something like 3 years and $50MM, perhaps. But OKC is still locked into that team if they do that. It's not like it changes the situation that much, materially speaking, unless they could flip Adams' salary for another star. But then they lose their defensive anchor.

I don't underestimate Presti's ability to get creative, but they aren't going to be able to just get rid of a big commitment to Melo.

It really depends on the postseason. If they can reach the WCF and push the Warriors to 6 or 7, PG might not think they need much more than a little more time together. And the gap between a team 1 win away from the Finals and 10 wins away from .500 basketball may seem too vast.

I agree with the notion that he'll likely stay with OKC if they reach the WCF. However, they are probably 50/50 just to win in the first round, at this point. And if they fail to win in the first round, I think the odds are overwhelming that he's gone.

I like them against Minnesota. If they move up to 3-seed and play Denver? Not so sure. Denver could run them off the floor or choke under the weight of their inexperience. But with or without home court, i like them in a 4-5 seed matchup with Minny. A Houston series would be very interesting. Which Houston team shows up? The regular season juggernaut or the postseason jugger-not?
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
32 wrote:

Come on 32, these questions have been answered a million times. The answer is yes, assuming a reasonable number for Randle and Deng getting traded/stretched in 2019.

Read that scenario. The scenario was not trading or stretching Deng.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
32 wrote:

Read that scenario. The scenario was not trading or stretching Deng.

In 2018.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject:

The decision on whether or not Paul George stays in OKC or whether LeBron stays in Cleveland won't be made in February. It will be made in June.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
32 wrote:

Well, it would depend on what we did with the rest of the cap space, but, yes, we should have enough for a full max in '19 if we either simply absorbed expiring contracts into our space, or gave out 1-year deals a la KCP last summer. I still believe we could hand out affordable multi-year contracts in this market, though, and then trade those players to open up another max slot, if necessary.

Thanks. We have a lot of flexibility for the next two years.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
32 wrote:

Well, it would depend on what we did with the rest of the cap space, but, yes, we should have enough for a full max in '19 if we either simply absorbed expiring contracts into our space, or gave out 1-year deals a la KCP last summer. I still believe we could hand out affordable multi-year contracts in this market, though, and then trade those players to open up another max slot, if necessary.

I did fail to mention that we would have to do something with Deng at that point, next summer (2019), but getting rid of his contract with just one year to go should be quite do-able with only 1 first round pick.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
32 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
32 wrote:

I did fail to mention that we would have to do something with Deng at that point, next summer (2019), but getting rid of his contract with just one year to go should be quite do-able with only 1 first round pick.

So we would have to trade him with nothing coming back?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
I could see a scenario where Melo opts out, but only if he gets a sizable guarantee for, say, 3 years. Something like 3 years and $50MM, perhaps. But OKC is still locked into that team if they do that. It's not like it changes the situation that much, materially speaking, unless they could flip Adams' salary for another star. But then they lose their defensive anchor.

I don't underestimate Presti's ability to get creative, but they aren't going to be able to just get rid of a big commitment to Melo.

this is definitely an option that is out there....Melo knows if he opts in, after that year he is a MLE guy at best, which can be embarrassing for a guy like Carmelo. Opting out, and signing a 3 year respectable deal helps OKC and likely puts more money in his bank account.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
32 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
32 wrote:

So we would have to trade him with nothing coming back?

You should consider doing the calculations yourself.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Car54 wrote:
LakeShow500 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Maybe, maybe not. A lot can happen during a season. And it wouldn’t be to help OKC out, it would be to help keep the roster strong, just as KD did in GS.

If Carmelo gave a crap about winning, he wouldn't have signed that massive Knicks extension and would've spent his years in a franchise better suited to win games. Carmelo's priorities are, firstly, Carmelo getting paid, and then a very distant secondly, winning IMO.

Money is the reason he let the Knicks trade away their roster so the Knicks could keep his bird rights.

He didn't let the Knicks do anything. They did it of their own accord and stupidity to gut their roster for just Carmelo instead of waiting 2 months.

Because he didn't want to wait til free agency
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Car54 wrote:
LakeShow500 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Quote:
He stood to become the headliner of the 2011 free-agent class but didn't want to risk free agency knowing a new collective bargaining agreement could cost him millions

Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
The decision on whether or not Paul George stays in OKC or whether LeBron stays in Cleveland won't be made in February. It will be made in June.

the recruitment start's way in advance. Not in june
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Actually July.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject:

The more I think about things, the more I think that if Cleveland gets back to the finals, win or lose, Lebron stays. It will take a lot for Lebron to leave Cleveland twice.

I also think that George cares much less about another star coming with him to LA than Lebron does. This is all speculation (and hopeful thinking in the case of George), but still what my better senses are telling me.

In an ideal world, I'd also rather have George and one of Kawhi or Klay over George and Lebron as well.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject:

Would anyone trade Ingram for Butler if PG and Lebron agrees to join in that scenario? Those two would want as many veteran stars they could team up with.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Actually July.

Actually MJST is right, there is tons of whispers of were players are planning to do before July
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject:

LakeShow500 wrote:
The way I see it, OKC needs almost as many dominoes to fall as the Lakers do to re-sign PG13. The Lakers likely need the commitment from LeBron to a PG13-James duo team-up, while OKC needs either George or Melo to give up major money and/or rely on wink agreements to avoid a very punitive tax. Realistically I think a third team somehow finds its way into the PG13 mix and steals him. Someone like the Spurs, or even the Jazz.

I have thought about the Spurs, George and Leonard would be scary. We will have to see if ending contracts are worth anything. I doubt that George would be interested in Utah.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

MJST wrote:
Dude "being a Laker" doesn't mean you're gonna get all these thousands of endorsement deals you can't get anywhere else.

Being a solid NBA player does. Paul george got a national ad campaign because he's a good player.

Kyrie Irving got a national ad campaign AND the Uncle Drew stuff while being in Cleveland and Kevin Love was in Minnesota.

This whole "You gotta come to LA to get endorsements" is irrelevant when you're already a star player in the league.

You think that if you're putting up 20/7/6 and with the media behind you that you're NOT going to get an offer from Gatorade or Nike or a National ad campaign strictly because you aren't playing for the Lakers?

And for the record a lot of these stars already own homes in Los Angeles and don't need to live there during the season to take advantage of those business opportunities.

Let go of the arrogance and the fantasy that you need to be a Laker to be successful in the market place. Those days are over and have BEEN over.

It's just a select few Lakers fans that hold onto them because the team doesn't have anything else to offer free agents in terms of winning.

Aldridge said it best when we tried to recruit him. The 2nd meeting that was focused on basketball and how he'd be used was the best one. the first one, that Jeanie took over and wasted time on Los Angeles and the business opportunities etc etc was the one that bombed because they didn't get to talk basketball.

If ya'll don't realize by now that these "business opportunities" are a minuscule worry for players that are already stars, and that they are more concerned with finding the best combination of winning + money, than ypu'll never realize it.

The players that were going to get national ad campaigns anyway were going to get them whether or not they were Lakers.

You wanna talk about "Ingram's commercial" alright, well Jamal Murray was in that commercial too, do you have to go to Denver to get a national ad campaign now too? How about John Collins in Atlanta? It's getting ridiculous.

Was waiting for you to drop a "the fish rots from the head down" line
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

LeBrons decision to stay in Cleveland was made in June, most of the top tier FAs always decide fast
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
The more I think about things, the more I think that if Cleveland gets back to the finals, win or lose, Lebron stays. It will take a lot for Lebron to leave Cleveland twice.

I also think that George cares much less about another star coming with him to LA than Lebron does. This is all speculation (and hopeful thinking in the case of George), but still what my better senses are telling me.

In an ideal world, I'd also rather have George and one of Kawhi or Klay over George and Lebron as well.

In my Ideal World, I much rather have Klay as first choice even over Kawhi and Lebron. Why? Because we don't just add a max player, we subtract a max player from Golden State and since they're over the cap anyway, they can't get another max player from free agency.

This would instantly open up our window and make the NBA championship anyone's game instead of waiting 3-4 years for GS's core to get old.
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject:

Possible for Lebron and KD to come to Lakers?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject:

BigBallerBrand wrote:

in 2K when you create the roster yourself.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
BigBallerBrand wrote:

in 2K when you create the roster yourself.

Haha, it actually would be possible logistically, but there has been absolutely ZERO indication that KD is considering leaving the Warriors.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1070, 1071, 1072 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 1071 of 2680
Jump to: