OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1071, 1072, 1073 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
BigBallerBrand wrote:
Possible for Lebron and KD to come to Lakers?

in 2K when you create the roster yourself.

It's very possible if they want to come.

If they want to come just deal Deng and remove qo for Randle
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Car54 wrote:
LakeShow500 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Maybe, maybe not. A lot can happen during a season. And it wouldn’t be to help OKC out, it would be to help keep the roster strong, just as KD did in GS.

If Carmelo gave a crap about winning, he wouldn't have signed that massive Knicks extension and would've spent his years in a franchise better suited to win games. Carmelo's priorities are, firstly, Carmelo getting paid, and then a very distant secondly, winning IMO.

Money is the reason he let the Knicks trade away their roster so the Knicks could keep his bird rights.

He didn't let the Knicks do anything. They did it of their own accord and stupidity to gut their roster for just Carmelo instead of waiting 2 months.

False- it’s well-known he and his reps were pushing for a S&T to maximize his money. They were worried about the new CBA.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Car54 wrote:

Funny how you and Ventura are the only ones seeing these commercials outside of the markets he play in lol meanwhile in NY I'm seeing a second year player and rookie Kyle commercials on NY tv

So you're going to pretty much ignore the nationally televised Gatorade commercial that was everywhere cause you personally didn't see it?

Jesusdelonla wrote:
MJST we know you don't want pg so no need to go in circles

And that has nothing to do with the point.

When you reply to an actual point with "Well you don't like Paul George anyway!" it doesn't make the point wrong, it just means you're deflecting away from it.

Address the actual point if you have a comment to make

How Is it nationally televised if I didn't see it? lol Ingram and Kyle commercial is nationally televised. Neither guy has made a Allstar game.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
MJST wrote:
Car54 wrote:
LakeShow500 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Maybe, maybe not. A lot can happen during a season. And it wouldn’t be to help OKC out, it would be to help keep the roster strong, just as KD did in GS.

If Carmelo gave a crap about winning, he wouldn't have signed that massive Knicks extension and would've spent his years in a franchise better suited to win games. Carmelo's priorities are, firstly, Carmelo getting paid, and then a very distant secondly, winning IMO.

Money is the reason he let the Knicks trade away their roster so the Knicks could keep his bird rights.

He didn't let the Knicks do anything. They did it of their own accord and stupidity to gut their roster for just Carmelo instead of waiting 2 months.

False- it’s well-known he and his reps were pushing for a S&T to maximize his money. They were worried about the new CBA.

He knows that he's just doing what he always does.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
The more I think about things, the more I think that if Cleveland gets back to the finals, win or lose, Lebron stays. It will take a lot for Lebron to leave Cleveland twice.

I also think that George cares much less about another star coming with him to LA than Lebron does. This is all speculation (and hopeful thinking in the case of George), but still what my better senses are telling me.

This has been my "gut" also....if Lebron thinks Cleveland is his best chance at winning a title, he will not leave (have to get to to Finals to win), and PG-13 can be sold on being the guy to step up and lead this historic franchise back to relevance as the clear #1 option. But I think there is almost zero chance Klay or Kawhi come unless something major took place that caused them to want to exit their current teams. I would give Klay about a 0.00001% chance and Kawhi about a 3% chance.
mookielala
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject:

I think Lebron is aware how much he means to Cleveland and Ohio. Things would have to get really messed up for him to leave. Just a month ago, it looked like they were. But it's leveled out now and they look in pretty good shape. If Gilbert decides to sell, I wouldn't be surprised if Lebron puts some deal together where he could share ownership.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject:

I think Kawhi might leave if either a) Pop actually leaves/retires or lets Kawhi know he's going to leave/retire sometime by 2023 or b) if the team just completely sucks and implodes in the 2018-2019 season (which is actually very possible). I don't think Kawhi wants to stick around for a post-Parker and post-Ginobili rebound. They really don't have a lot of talent on that team and would have to pull some free agents. I'm not sure many guys want to come to San Antonio, even with Pop there (no less the reality Pop could retire sometime soon). If they strike out on free agents in 2018 and/or 2019, he could very well leave just as Aldridge left Portland.

As for Klay, only way he leaves is if Golden State doesn't want to pay him because of the luxury tax bill. This is another very large possibility when you consider that re-signing Klay could cost them over $100 million in a year (including both his salary and their luxury tax bill). Even without going cheap, Golden State is going to have some very big decisions coming up with how much they are already paying Steph/Durant. Durant is likely to opt out this summer and then sign a new deal for about $10m more a year than he is currently getting paid. Even if he didn't, they are already on the hook for $130 Million in salary in 2018-2019 (and that's only including Klay, Steph, Green, Durant, Iggy and Livingston as guaranteed salary). If Durant re-signs, you can make that $140 million n committed salary + whoever they bring in to fill out the roster. They were already in the repeater tax this year, and will be next no matter what. Every year you remain in the repeater tax, it compounds itself. By 2019, you're talking a $200+ million tax bill alone (not even counting salary) if they keep Klay. That means a payroll of something like $350 million if the keep Klay. Who can afford that? Again, frankly, they may just not be able to afford him which is the entire reason why people think Klay may be up for the taking.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost

Last edited by LakerSanity on Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
The more I think about things, the more I think that if Cleveland gets back to the finals, win or lose, Lebron stays. It will take a lot for Lebron to leave Cleveland twice.

I also think that George cares much less about another star coming with him to LA than Lebron does. This is all speculation (and hopeful thinking in the case of George), but still what my better senses are telling me.

This has been my "gut" also....if Lebron thinks Cleveland is his best chance at winning a title, he will not leave (have to get to to Finals to win), and PG-13 can be sold on being the guy to step up and lead this historic franchise back to relevance as the clear #1 option. But I think there is almost zero chance Klay or Kawhi come unless something major took place that caused them to want to exit their current teams. I would give Klay about a 0.00001% chance and Kawhi about a 3% chance.

I think Kawhi is a possibility I don't see Klay leaving GSW but who knows what could happen in a year. Last summer PG being a laker was Guaranteed now it's not so clear months later.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject:

As far as Lebron goes him leaving wasn't only about team wins it's also about his relationship with the owner.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
I think Kawhi might leave if either a) Pop actually leaves/retires or lets Kawhi know he's going to leave/retire sometime by 2023 or b) if the team just completely sucks and implodes in the 2018-2019 season (which is actually very possible). I don't think Kawhi wants to stick around for a post-Parker and post-Ginobili rebound. They really don't have a lot of talent on that team and would have to pull some free agents. I'm not sure many guys want to come to San Antonio, even with Pop there (no less the reality Pop could retire sometime soon). If they strike out on free agents in 2018 and/or 2019, he could very well leave just as Aldridge left Portland.

As for Klay, only way he leaves is if Golden State doesn't want to pay him and the luxury tax bill - which is another very large possibility when you consider that re-signing Klay could cost them over $100 million in a year (when you include both his salary and their luxury tax bill). Even without going cheap, Golden State is going to have some very big decisions coming up with how much they are already paying Steph/Durant. Durant is likely to opt out this summer and then sign a new deal. Even if he didn't, they are already on the hook for $130 Million in salary in 2018-2019 (and that's only including Klay, Steph, Green, Durant, Iggy and Livingston as guaranteed salary). If Durant re-signs, you can make that $140 million. They were already in the repeater tax this year, and will be next no matter what. Every year you remain in the repeater tax, it compounds itself. By 2019, you're talking a $200 million tax bill if they keep Klay. Again, frankly, they may just not be able to afford him which is the entire reason why people think he may be up for the taking.

in general I agree....Pop retiring could be one way for Kawhi to exit....and GSW not paying Klay would be the only reason I can imagine Klay bouncing....but I have to think Draymond is the guy that does not get paid if they are choosing one....If I am GSW....I a keeping Klay even if I have to make other moves to shed salary....to me, if I was a GSW fan, I am demanding we keep Steph and Klay above everyone else.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject:

I think there's an angle that should be mentioned (forgive me if it has been somewhere in this vast thread), and that is that the league could do away with the current playoff format as soon as next season. If the league goes to conference-less playoffs, there would be nothing to preclude LeBron from going West, if he believed that a team in the West gave him the best chance to win a championship.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject:

A couple Lebron loving Los Angeles tweets/comments

https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/965458078308098048 His quote

https://twitter.com/haladjianchris/status/965460276211417088 His Snapchat
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
I think there's an angle that should be mentioned (forgive me if it has been somewhere in this vast thread), and that is that the league could do away with the current playoff format as soon as next season. If the league goes to conference-less playoffs, there would be nothing to preclude LeBron from going West, if he believed that a team in the West gave him the best chance to win a championship.

honestly, I do not see it.....I really do not. Why would the East owners ever agree to conference-less playoffs? I do not even think there is much of a chance East owners would support the reseeding of the top 8 teams from each conference....and honestly, I hope they do not.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

Great point. It will be interesting to see if this gets implemented quick. Some eastern conference owners may fight it.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Great point. It will be interesting to see if this gets implemented quick. Some eastern conference owners may fight it.

maybe like all of them?
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
If I am GSW....I a keeping Klay even if I have to make other moves to shed salary....to me, if I was a GSW fan, I am demanding we keep Steph and Klay above everyone else.

So, by your post, I think you understand than that by keeping Klay and Steph, the only way to avoid paying a $200+ luxury tax bill is by letting Durant walk then, right? If so, why aren't you advocating that we make a push for Durant and PG this summer? Screw Lebron and PG.

I just looked it up. If Larry Coon or Emplay are around, they can probably do a better job than me. Assuming this is the first year GSW paid the luxury tax (which may be false), they owe something around $30 million in luxury taxes THIS season based on the luxury tax level of $119 million and their current salary of $135 million.

Next year in 2018-2018, assuming a Durant extension, GSW's salaries will go up to around $145 million with a luxury tax line of about $121 million... which means $24 million above the luxury tax line. That means they'll be a repeater though and, thus, owe about $90 million NEXT season in luxury taxes alone. That means, in 2018-2019, GSW will be shelling out around $235 million dollars in salary/taxes.

In 2019-2020, if they re-sign Klay, you're talking about a minimum of $155 million in salary (and that's basically with just Klay, Green, Durant, Steph, Iggy and 8 minimum salary players). That increases their luxury tax level to about $130 million. In other words, if they re-sign Klay in 2019, for the 2019-2020 season, GSW will have spent about $285 million in salaries/taxes.

That's all approximate numbers, but you get the gist. Either way, if you say they want to keep Klay and let others go, or I am right that they may want to let Klay go, in either scenario, they no longer have their championship team. I don't see it feasible that GSW will be okay with paying nearly $300 million no matter the results in wins/losses.

Last edited by LakerSanity on Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

honestly, I do not see it.....I really do not. Why would the East owners ever agree to conference-less playoffs? I do not even think there is much of a chance East owners would support the reseeding of the top 8 teams from each conference....and honestly, I hope they do not.

Well as long as 8 teams from the East still get in, I think they might go for it, particularly if Silver is able to convince them that it will create far more intrigue in the earlier rounds of the playoffs. Silver was mentioning that he thinks the biggest issue will be the travel, not traditional reasons. So we'll see what happens.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

As for Klay, only way he leaves is if Golden State doesn't want to pay him because of the luxury tax bill. This is another very large possibility when you consider that re-signing Klay could cost them over $100 million in a year (including both his salary and their luxury tax bill). Even without going cheap, Golden State is going to have some very big decisions coming up with how much they are already paying Steph/Durant. Durant is likely to opt out this summer and then sign a new deal for about $10m more a year than he is currently getting paid. Even if he didn't, they are already on the hook for $130 Million in salary in 2018-2019 (and that's only including Klay, Steph, Green, Durant, Iggy and Livingston as guaranteed salary). If Durant re-signs, you can make that $140 million n committed salary + whoever they bring in to fill out the roster. They were already in the repeater tax this year, and will be next no matter what. Every year you remain in the repeater tax, it compounds itself. By 2019, you're talking a $200+ million tax bill alone (not even counting salary) if they keep Klay. That means a payroll of something like $350 million if the keep Klay. Who can afford that? Again, frankly, they may just not be able to afford him which is the entire reason why people think Klay may be up for the taking.

1 point regarding kawahi is that his uncle has taken over his agent duties and I don't think he likes the attention kawahi is getting compared to other stars
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject:

Also, bears mentioning that Kawhi went to school at SDSU and was born in LA. Like PG, he's a local kid too.

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject:

^^when I said move other pieces, I was referring to Iguodala, Livingston and even Green if needed. My guess would be the FO priorities would be...

1. Steph
2. Durant
3. Klay

but I would not be surprised if their fans priorities are...

1. Steph
2. Klay
3. Durant
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
^^when I said move other pieces, I was referring to Iguodala, Livingston and even Green if needed. My guess would be the FO priorities would be...

1. Steph
2. Durant
3. Klay

1. Steph
2. Klay
3. Durant

Even if that's true, Klay, Durant and Steph will combine for approximately $100 million in salary in 2019. They'll be severely weakened. I think at that point, they'd choose Green/Iggy + real depth over Klay + a bunch of minimum players. Either way, they aren't going to be the same team come 2019-2020. I think Klay has a real chance of leaving.

LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

maybe like all of them?

Without a doubt, the ones that settle for mediocrity and there are quite a few of them.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
adkindo wrote:

1. Steph
2. Durant
3. Klay

1. Steph
2. Klay
3. Durant

Even if that's true, Klay, Durant and Steph will combine for approximately $100 million in salary in 2019. They'll be severely weakened. I think at that point, they'd choose Green/Iggy + real depth over Klay + a bunch of minimum players. Either way, they aren't going to be the same team come 2019-2020. I think Klay has a real chance of leaving.

I think we just disagree....his dad tells everyone that he is not leaving....Klay has even made statements about not having a desire to be "the man" on a team or in one of the traditional big markets, etc. It seems like every bit of evidence points to he has no interest in leaving GSW or playing for the Lakers (which he has been asked about since being drafted). I think it is the height of wishful thinking by Lakers fans at this point.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

It's gonna happen lol
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject:

Adkindo - my point is that he may not have a choice. Getting into his desires makes me think you're missing my point, because what he desires is irrelevant in the scenario I am describing. However, I also understand that you think GSW will do what it takes to keep him regardless of the financial/roster consequences... while I'm not guaranteeing the opposite, I'm not as sure as you are about that.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1071, 1072, 1073 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 1072 of 2680
Jump to: