OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1257, 1258, 1259 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
adkindo wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
but I'm guessing it will end up being Deng plus the CLE pick and a '20 1st, and possibly with the $5.2MM in cash.

at a minimum in my opinion....think some other asset like Kuzma or Hart would have to included....because those will be expected to be lower value 1st Rounders.

Nah, two first rounders is already above market value... asking for Hart or Kuzma would be ridiculous. I guarantee you there are more than a few teams who wouldn't hesitate to take on Deng if they could get two first round picks. That's worst case scenario - a first, a second (or two) and cash is probably the most likely scenario.

Keep in mind that last year, the Toronto traded Carroll (2 years, $30 million) to Brooklyn - it only cost them their 2019 lottery protected 1st round pick (which was projected to be somewhere in the 24-30 range at the time) and a second round pick. Last summer, the Nets were pretty much the only game in town to absorb contracts. This summer, there will be multiple rebuilding teams who can absorb Deng (Chicago, Atlanta, Phoenix, Indiana, Sacramento, Dallas, etc.). Deng only makes $3 million a year more than Carroll and will only have the same 2 years left this summer. Cleveland's pick is likely better than the one Toronto gave up, making no mention of giving them 2 picks (Denver 2018 and Chicago 2019) plus cash. Its just ridiculous to think we'd have to attach Hart or Kuzma.

I think, barring a $20+ million offer from Dallas, the Lakers keep Randle regardless of what happens this summer. We'll pay him $18 million a year if need be. I'm relatively positive that George comes here. The real wildcard is Lebron, who I think leaves, but who will choose from us, Houston or Philadelphia.

I disagree....Carroll starts for Brooklyn, and Deng is dead money for 2 years.....Caroll's value is actually near his contract (starting forward). I will stick with 2 first rounds picks at a minimum...but it could even take more.

Once again, at the time the Nets were not getting Carroll for any basketball-playing value. I grant you that Deng's contract is more onerous, but if the money is similar, I don't see how a team like Atlanta couldn't justify taking not just the CLE pick, but also another future 1st. And we could also throw in another 2nd if absolutely necessary.

I would be flat-out stunned if we were unable to trade Deng.
Deng, Cavs pick, 2020 Lakers 1st (unprotected), 2019 Bulls 2nd and 5.2 million in cash to Chicago for Asik seems fair. If we are able to do that on draft day, we should jump on it. This way, when free agency comes, we dont have to worry about making a deal all last minute. We could just focus on signing the fee agents.

What becomes of Ingram in this scenario? Death as the result of a mysterious house fire?
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject:

With his injury, and the low historic success rate that anyone in the NBA has had recovering from, I think the Lakers CANNOT risk signing Boogie for any amount unless it is a one year deal!

N.O. seems to talk like they want him back, but they know the risk and it is even greater for them! But if N.O. resigns him to a long max contract and he does not return to form, they are stuck with him and they risk Davis leaving when his contract is up.

I'm pretty sure that the few teams with the cap money to sign Boogie will offer him a long-term max. contract.

That being said there is a chance the Lakers can swoop in and offer him $25mil for one year, so that he can prove himself and go after a long-term big money contract after the 2018-2019 season.

It really all depends on what N.O. offers him at this point...
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
adkindo wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
but I'm guessing it will end up being Deng plus the CLE pick and a '20 1st, and possibly with the $5.2MM in cash.

at a minimum in my opinion....think some other asset like Kuzma or Hart would have to included....because those will be expected to be lower value 1st Rounders.

Nah, two first rounders is already above market value... asking for Hart or Kuzma would be ridiculous. I guarantee you there are more than a few teams who wouldn't hesitate to take on Deng if they could get two first round picks. That's worst case scenario - a first, a second (or two) and cash is probably the most likely scenario.

Keep in mind that last year, the Toronto traded Carroll (2 years, $30 million) to Brooklyn - it only cost them their 2019 lottery protected 1st round pick (which was projected to be somewhere in the 24-30 range at the time) and a second round pick. Last summer, the Nets were pretty much the only game in town to absorb contracts. This summer, there will be multiple rebuilding teams who can absorb Deng (Chicago, Atlanta, Phoenix, Indiana, Sacramento, Dallas, etc.). Deng only makes $3 million a year more than Carroll and will only have the same 2 years left this summer. Cleveland's pick is likely better than the one Toronto gave up, making no mention of giving them 2 picks (Denver 2018 and Chicago 2019) plus cash. Its just ridiculous to think we'd have to attach Hart or Kuzma.

I think, barring a $20+ million offer from Dallas, the Lakers keep Randle regardless of what happens this summer. We'll pay him $18 million a year if need be. I'm relatively positive that George comes here. The real wildcard is Lebron, who I think leaves, but who will choose from us, Houston or Philadelphia.

I disagree....Carroll starts for Brooklyn, and Deng is dead money for 2 years.....Caroll's value is actually near his contract (starting forward). I will stick with 2 first rounds picks at a minimum...but it could even take more.

Once again, at the time the Nets were not getting Carroll for any basketball-playing value. I grant you that Deng's contract is more onerous, but if the money is similar, I don't see how a team like Atlanta couldn't justify taking not just the CLE pick, but also another future 1st. And we could also throw in another 2nd if absolutely necessary.

Deng, Cavs pick, 2020 Lakers 1st (unprotected), 2019 Bulls 2nd and 5.2 million in cash to Chicago for Asik seems fair. If we are able to do that on draft day, we should jump on it. This way, when free agency comes, we dont have to worry about making a deal all last minute. We could just focus on signing the fee agents.

That is a gross overpay. We'd still have to stretch Asik. Comparing his stretch figure to Deng's, you're only saving an extra 3 mil. That 4.5 still stops you from signing LJ/PG to their maxes and keeping Randle, now what do you do?

Brooklyn paid 30 million for a PROTECTED 1st and a 2nd. Basically, 5 years + 2 years of low cost control between two picks. We're talking two first rounders = 5 + 5 years of cost control. If we add 5 million in cash, any team taking Deng is paying 1 million more than Toronto did for a better pick at 3 extra years of cost control. Seems like a slam dunk to me, especially now that GMs have seen how hard it is to actually acquire firsts.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Most of you are happy to sign Brook and even if Boogie wore a lead boot on his foot he'd be more mobile than him.

I get that the price is much different so that is a factor... but if you are willing to sign Brook... then I don't think you should worry about Boogie. He could be a good signing if he gives an Achilles discount.

come on....please just say it....your plan B is a 5'8" guy with a bad hip, and a temperamental guy coming off an Achilles.... (jk with you)

I agree even for me that might be pushing it in terms of risk management... but to me Boogie with no mobility is Love or Brook. And I don't mind signing either of those.

For me it's all about best available player assuming you can properly tailor the fit. So maybe my order is LeBron/PG/Boogie/IT for this year.

I'd take Kemba or Damien over IT, but we'd need to trade away assets to acquire them. Seth is fine too, but I'm not sure we can get him.

For center I'd want Boogie over Brook... I know some of you have been pushing for Noel, but if we are going to play Randle, then I think we need the floor spacing... even with LeBron or George.

I'm not as irrational about IT as some of you think. Sure I like his underdog story... but I wouldn't pass up someone better to sign him. I just wouldn't give him up until someone better was actually secured.

plus, Boogie is the one that wanted IT gone from Sacramento.

Was he? Cause about a year ago wasn't Thomas vouching for Cousins to be on the team if the Celtics traded for him. Saying that one of the major things they had was the respect of the other?

There doesn't seem to be an issue with them now if that's the case.

They love trolling each other though

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C20rBzgUcAAZ7SI.jpg

They was close i never heard of them having a problem until LAKERs fans spewed it.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
scoobs wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
adkindo wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

What becomes of Ingram in this scenario? Death as the result of a mysterious house fire?
No, he ends up being the 6th or 7th man off the bench, backing up both James and Ball. Hopefully puts up a solid 15ppg, 5rpg, 4apg and good defense in 25-30 minutes per night and has a good attitude about, which im sure he will at least in the first year and especially if we start winning. He probably bounces after the 2019-2020 season though.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
To be honest I'm still looking at our two prioritizing targets being Cousins and George. Both for the 30M and thus it wouldn't throw off what we're already doing too much.

It's really that extra you'd throw at James for his max that would throw stuff off.

Stretching Deng still makes it viable for the Lakers to get a two max deal with both being 30M.

I personally feel if you replace KCP with George and Lopez with Cousins you have a team that's going to make a run in the West.

I know the question is whether or not Cousins is still the best center in the league when he comes back, but for all intents and purposes he'll be ready by training camp and already have time to train before training camp begins.

I think the Lakers stand a very good chance of finishing within a few games of New Orleans and THAT can be a very big selling point.

If you're the Lakers, you want to finish this season being within about 5-8 games of the final record of the Pelicans and/or OKC and use that to make your argument in free agency.

IF we can accomplish that, I'd say we stand a very good chance of getting one of those two, and getting one of those two all but ensures imo, getting the second one.

The other side of it is that the Lakers can go over their cap to not just sign Julius Randle, they can go over their cap to re-sign Isaiah Thomas.

My main question really is if Isaiah Thomas will

1) take a paycut or a 'Prove it" contract to show he can 'get back' this off-season.

2) accept being a Super 6th man Lou Williams role.

If Isaiah Thomas is willing to do both of those things, then we can be off to the races.

Julius Randle's cap hold is 12.4 (which will be how much his contract will be against the cap regardless if his first years amount is over that)

Isaiah Thomas's cap hold is 11.2 (which will be how much his contract will be against the cap regardless if his first years amount is over that)

With no Clarkson on the roster, Thomas's cap hold in his first year, would actually make his contract cheaper than Clarkson's by that extension by almost 1M.

So the perfect off-season would be as such (and you can do the numbers to see if it fits)

Would be

Signing Paul George
Signing DeMarcus Cousins
Re-signing Julius Randle
Re-signing Isaiah Thomas to a (prove it 1+1 deal)

it may require renouncing the rights to Thomas Bryant and Ivica Zubac, or it may not, it depends if other teams are interested in them and then you can hopefully re-sign them.

Anyway, if that happens (number crunchers find out if it's possible or the contracts necessary) our roster would look like this going into next season if all else remains the same.

Starters:
Lonzo Ball
Paul George
Brandon Ingram
Julius Randle
Demarcus Cousins

Bench:
Isaiah Thomas
Josh Hart
Kyle Kuzma
Travis Wear / Cav's 1st Rounder
Ivica Zubac / Thomas Bryant

Now assuming Cousins is 80% of what he was and Thomas is able to get back to form enough to be a more improved version of what he is right now (say 44% from the field, 38% from three).

How far does that team go?

$12,447,727......Julius Randle (1)

$7,461,960........Lonzo Ball (2)
$5,757,120........Brandon Ingram (3)
$1,689,840........Kyle Kuzma (4)
$1,655,160........Josh Hart (5)

$2,000,000........2018 Cleveland Draft Pick (6)

$831,311...........Min Salary (7)
$831,311...........Min Salary (8)
$831,311...........Min Salary (9)
$831,311...........Min Salary (10)

$30,300,000......Paul George (11)
$30,300,000......Cousins (12)

$7,362,000........Luol Deng (stretched)
$0.................... Ivica Zubac
$0.....................Thomas Bryant
$0.....................IT

That is over a $101 million salary cap and that is without IT.

Quote:

(number crunchers find out if it's possible or the contracts necessary)

Give a Man a Fish, and You Feed Him for a Day. Teach a Man To Fish, and You Feed Him for a Lifetime.

Download Libre Office

Los Angeles Lakers Team Salary

Give a Man a Fish, and You Feed Him for a Day. Teach a Man To Fish, and You Feed Him for a Lifetime.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
And the Nets weren't trading for Carroll thinking he'd help them. It was bad money, and the motivation was to use their cap space to get assets.

this is not accurate....the Nets were claiming from the beginning that they thought Carroll would fit well with what they were doing....Carroll was never "dead money"....he played 26 MPG (72 games) for Toronto last year. There is nothing similar in regards to Carroll and Deng.

They said the same about mozgov, so
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Slam dunk
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Deng is playing 0 minutes a game. He is completely dead money.

Carroll is playing 30 minutes a game.

They can't be compared.
KendrickLamar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
scoobs wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
adkindo wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

That is a gross overpay. We'd still have to stretch Asik. Comparing his stretch figure to Deng's, you're only saving an extra 3 mil. That 4.5 still stops you from signing LJ/PG to their maxes and keeping Randle, now what do you do?

Brooklyn paid 30 million for a PROTECTED 1st and a 2nd. Basically, 5 years + 2 years of low cost control between two picks. We're talking two first rounders = 5 + 5 years of cost control. If we add 5 million in cash, any team taking Deng is paying 1 million more than Toronto did for a better pick at 3 extra years of cost control. Seems like a slam dunk to me, especially now that GMs have seen how hard it is to actually acquire firsts.

2 firsts a second and cash to save 3 mil l.... yea how about no lmao
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:

They can't be compared.

Is Deng not playing because he's hurt? Deng isn't playing because we don't won't him to.

When both guys are on the floor, they have similar value. Suggesting that Deng's value is considerablely less because WE CHOSE to not play him is silly.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:

They can't be compared.

Myopia.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
Judah wrote:
scoobs wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
adkindo wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

No, he ends up being the 6th or 7th man off the bench, backing up both James and Ball. Hopefully puts up a solid 15ppg, 5rpg, 4apg and good defense in 25-30 minutes per night and has a good attitude about, which im sure he will at least in the first year and especially if we start winning. He probably bounces after the 2019-2020 season though.

Just for that I would rather have Cousins instead of James now.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject:

Larry Nance showing his true colors:

“Upgrade, upgrade” - Larry Nance Jr.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BfB506EhFyu/?utm_source=ig_embed

pic.twitter.com/gpvISZjjzK
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:

that was the first day after he was traded.. probably some resentment there.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject:

IT's cap hold is under $12.
Would PG and LeBron do a 1+1 deal? Take smaller money year one?
I think LeBron likes IT. His master plan to get him to the Lakers
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:

that was the first day after he was traded.. probably some resentment there.

isnt that Collins on the Hawks that he is talking too? anyway, y r we talking about nance?
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject:

OK, so how much would it reasonably cost to sign George, and keep (a) Julius, (b) Lopez, AND (c) Thomas?
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject:

Wildchild027 wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:

They can't be compared.

Is Deng not playing because he's hurt? Deng isn't playing because we don't won't him to.

When both guys are on the floor, they have similar value. Suggesting that Deng's value is considerablely less because WE CHOSE to not play him is silly.

We CHOSE not to play him because he can't play anymore. If Deng could help the team win games, he would be on the court.

The cost to trade Deng right now and the cost to trade an injured Deng would likely be the same because the team acquiring him wouldn't be after him for on the court reasons - he hasn't played in 2 years.

It would have been much easier for the Lakers to trade him if he could have shown he could still play 20-25 minutes a game.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
OK, so how much would it reasonably cost to sign George, and keep (a) Julius, (b) Lopez, AND (c) Thomas?

Completely possible without even trading Deng.

Randle @ 14.5
Lopez @ 8
IT @ 12
PG13 @ 30.3
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
MIMLaker wrote:

Randle @ 14.5
Lopez @ 8
IT @ 12
PG13 @ 30.3

Randles cap hold is lower than that.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject:

Turns out LNJ was fake as hell, never would've guessed he was like that. Hope he enjoys that "upgrade" when Lebron leaves and he spends the rest of his career losing in Cleveland. But at least he'll be at home, right?
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
MIMLaker wrote:

Randle @ 14.5
Lopez @ 8
IT @ 12
PG13 @ 30.3

I know, theoretically we could give Lopez another $2m a year.

I was just looking at what we would want to sign Randle and IT at to give the Lakers a chance for a Max in 2019.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
epak wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
MIMLaker wrote:

Randle @ 14.5
Lopez @ 8
IT @ 12
PG13 @ 30.3

I was just looking at what we would want to sign Randle and IT at to give the Lakers a chance for a Max in 2019.

Ah I see.
Can the Lakers get a super star max in 2019 while paying these guys?
They have to get rid of Deng and some more money right?
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
epak wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
MIMLaker wrote:

Randle @ 14.5
Lopez @ 8
IT @ 12
PG13 @ 30.3

Ideal offseason right there
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1257, 1258, 1259 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 1258 of 2680
Jump to: