OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1258, 1259, 1260 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:47 pm    Post subject:

Lebron or PG13, I'll take either. Our players are making me hope Bron and PG13 don't collude and tell Maginka they are a package deal. Hopefully one of them have the guts to come alone. Honestly, it makes the most sense for PG13. He's never won and OKC is a 5-8 seed for the forseable future. Why wouldn't you want to be 5-8 in LA and get a boatload of credit? I think Lebron is the one who would require another max player for him to leave the kosher East. PG13 doesn't have the pressure that Lebron has. PG13 would simply be going home to a team with a brighter future than OKC. Then keep Brook, IT and Randle.

Brook
Randle
Ingram
Lonzo
PG13

Ivica or Cleveland pick
Thomas Bryant promotion or Cleveland pick
Kuzma
Hart
IT
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:51 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
epak wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
MIMLaker wrote:
OK, so how much would it reasonably cost to sign George, and keep (a) Julius, (b) Lopez, AND (c) Thomas?

Completely possible without even trading Deng.

Randle @ 14.5
Lopez @ 8
IT @ 12
PG13 @ 30.3

Randles cap hold is lower than that.

I know, theoretically we could give Lopez another $2m a year.

I was just looking at what we would want to sign Randle and IT at to give the Lakers a chance for a Max in 2019.

Ah I see.
Can the Lakers get a super star max in 2019 while paying these guys?
They have to get rid of Deng and some more money right?

Would need to get creative with Randle and IT and likely have their salaries drop by 8% for 2019.

Lopez would have to dumped or resigned with an exception.

Trading Deng would then give Lakers about 33 in space.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject:

The only problem is that Lopez will have to be resigned immediately because otherwise his cap hold is a problem.

Alternatively we can waive his rights but then we can only bring him back on the room exception if we want the bird rights

Last edited by Chronicle on Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject:

Then again, we're all thinking from selfish fan point of views. IT or Brook may not give a ratz azz about what we want. LOL! They get a crazy offer somewhere else with the promise of a starting job, and they bolt!!
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:09 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Then again, we're all thinking from selfish fan point of views. IT or Brook may not give a ratz azz about what we want. LOL! They get a crazy offer somewhere else with the promise of a starting job, and they bolt!!

I can tell you one thing... lowballing them with pathetic offers is the surest way to drive them away. You identify their market value in advance... and come up with a proposal that's within reason and appeal to their love of Los Angeles and the Lakers. It might not work anyway, but I know some of the ridiculous offers I hear bandied about would just piss me off if I were IT or Brook.

They are humans, not avatars in your personal video game. Thank God management hopefully is not saying the same stupid ish. Fair market value... not crazy maxes... not room exceptions... something you wouldn't be ashamed to look a person in the eye when you were offering it.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:11 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

I can tell you one thing... lowballing them with pathetic offers is the surest way to drive them away. You identify their market value in advance... and come up with a proposal that's within reason and appeal to their love of Los Angeles and the Lakers. It might not work anyway, but I know some of the ridiculous offers I hear bandied about would just piss me off if I were IT or Brook.

They are humans, not avatars in your personal video game. Thank God management hopefully is not saying the same stupid ish. Fair market value... not crazy maxes... not room exceptions... something you wouldn't be ashamed to look a person in the eye when you were offering it.

But then we can't keep all of them
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:13 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

But then we can't keep all of them

Hard choices will have to be made... the thing in our favor is you can tell they want to be here... so there seems to be wiggle room if we don't insult them. But yeah, we are going to probably lose out on someone unless no elites want to come.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:17 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
epak wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
MIMLaker wrote:
OK, so how much would it reasonably cost to sign George, and keep (a) Julius, (b) Lopez, AND (c) Thomas?

Randle @ 14.5
Lopez @ 8
IT @ 12
PG13 @ 30.3

I was just looking at what we would want to sign Randle and IT at to give the Lakers a chance for a Max in 2019.

Ah I see.
Can the Lakers get a super star max in 2019 while paying these guys?
They have to get rid of Deng and some more money right?

2019-20

$32,400,000......2019 Mid Tier Max (1)
$31,815,000......Paul George (2)

$13,000,000......Julius Randle (3)

$8,719,320........Lonzo Ball (4)
$7,265,485........Brandon Ingram (5)
$1,974,600........Kyle Kuzma (6)
$1,934,160........Josh Hart (7)

$2,200,000........Cleveland 2018 first (8)
$2,200,000........LA 2019 first (9)

$888,927............Min Salary (10)
$888,927............Min Salary (11)
$888,927............Min Salary (12)

$6,270,000.........Luol Deng - stretched

$0......................Ivica Zubac
$0......................Thomas Bryant
$0......................IT
$0......................Lopez

Give a Man a Fish, and You Feed Him for a Day. Teach a Man To Fish, and You Feed Him for a Lifetime.

Download Libre Office

Los Angeles Lakers Team Salary

Give a Man a Fish, and You Feed Him for a Day. Teach a Man To Fish, and You Feed Him for a Lifetime. [/quote]
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:20 am    Post subject:

Thanks.
Point him to an all you can eat sushi restaurant and he'll be a happy man.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:38 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

I think it might be possible to 'low ball' Lopez with the room exception for 1 year. We just have to copy what the Spurs did with manu and assure Lopez that we will sign him to a big contract in 2019 - which we would be able to since we retain his bird rights after using the room exception (love salary cap loopholes) - to make up for the money he loses in 2018.

If he trusts magic and rob, I think it could be done especially since he (i) gets to stay home in California and (ii) if we bring in pieces that gets him something he hasn't had his whole career, a contending team. Any money he loses would be temporary, since we can sign him to any amount in 2019 as we retain his bird rights.

PS: I still think the rule that we can renounce a player to clear his salary off the cap, then sign him to an exception and yet retain his bird rights allowing us to go over the cap to retain him once his 'exception contract' ends crazy. But who am I to look a gift horse in the mouth.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:59 am    Post subject:

Vanquish wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

I think it might be possible to 'low ball' Lopez with the room exception for 1 year. We just have to copy what the Spurs did with manu and assure Lopez that we will sign him to a big contract in 2019 - which we would be able to since we retain his bird rights after using the room exception (love salary cap loopholes) - to make up for the money he loses in 2018.

If he trusts magic and rob, I think it could be done especially since he (i) gets to stay home in California and (ii) if we bring in pieces that gets him something he hasn't had his whole career, a contending team. Any money he loses would be temporary, since we can sign him to any amount in 2019 as we retain his bird rights.

PS: I still think the rule that we can renounce a player to clear his salary off the cap, then sign him to an exception and yet retain his bird rights allowing us to go over the cap to retain him once his 'exception contract' ends crazy. But who am I to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Yeah, that sounds like a good solution... I've heard that plan mentioned before and I'm all for it. I just used the phrase room exception because I keep hearing people use it disrespectfully like these are scrubs and not former all star talents.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:08 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Vanquish wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

Yeah, that sounds like a good solution... I've heard that plan mentioned before and I'm all for it. I just used the phrase room exception because I keep hearing people use it disrespectfully like these are scrubs and not former all star talents.

Agreed, I don't think anyone can think either IT or Lopez are scrubs if they watch the games.
El Seano
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:51 am    Post subject:

Bored at work I just ran a little math on Luol Dengs contract his year. Now I understand his work isn't just playing in games and that the figure we see isn't what he gets paid with taxes, agency fees, NBA pension etc but for arguments sake...

He has played 13 minutes this year and is getting paid $18,000,000. That's $1,384,615 a minute or $23,076 a second.

He has scored 427 points in his time with the Lakers , which at 36 million paid so far equates to $81,309 per point scored or to put it another way the price of an Audi A7 every time he scores a point.

In fact his time played so far is 1499 minutes...or $24,016 per minute.

I know you could do this with basically any modern professional athlete and get some mind boggling numbers but it made me smile.

EDIT: Actually I read Basketball Reference wrong, turns out he is earning a mere $17,190,000 this season.
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
Deng is playing 0 minutes a game. He is completely dead money.

Carroll is playing 30 minutes a game.

They can't be compared.

Is Deng not playing because he's hurt? Deng isn't playing because we don't won't him to.

When both guys are on the floor, they have similar value. Suggesting that Deng's value is considerablely less because WE CHOSE to not play him is silly.

We CHOSE not to play him because he can't play anymore. If Deng could help the team win games, he would be on the court.

The cost to trade Deng right now and the cost to trade an injured Deng would likely be the same because the team acquiring him wouldn't be after him for on the court reasons - he hasn't played in 2 years.

It would have been much easier for the Lakers to trade him if he could have shown he could still play 20-25 minutes a game.

Again, we are CHOOSING not to PLAY HIM because he isn't better than the guys ahead of him. Hell, we are playing Caruso and Wear. You telling me Deng isn't better than them?

We have made a decision that play Deng. It has noting to do with if he can play or not.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject:

Seems Deng not playing is mutual from what I’ve been seeing.
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
epak wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
MIMLaker wrote:

Randle @ 14.5
Lopez @ 8
IT @ 12
PG13 @ 30.3

Ideal offseason right there

No, it's not. We are trying to win a championship, and spending big money on anyone outside of Randle (playing like an all-star), and the max guys is a mistake. We keep forgetting what our goals are. We aren't trying to make the playoffs, we trying to win the whole dam thing.
jg77
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject:

Wildchild027 wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:

They can't be compared.

Is Deng not playing because he's hurt? Deng isn't playing because we don't won't him to.

When both guys are on the floor, they have similar value. Suggesting that Deng's value is considerablely less because WE CHOSE to not play him is silly.

We CHOSE not to play him because he can't play anymore. If Deng could help the team win games, he would be on the court.

The cost to trade Deng right now and the cost to trade an injured Deng would likely be the same because the team acquiring him wouldn't be after him for on the court reasons - he hasn't played in 2 years.

It would have been much easier for the Lakers to trade him if he could have shown he could still play 20-25 minutes a game.

Again, we are CHOOSING not to PLAY HIM because he isn't better than the guys ahead of him. Hell, we are playing Caruso and Wear. You telling me Deng isn't better than them?

We have made a decision that play Deng. It has noting to do with if he can play or not.

I have a feeling Deng really isn't 32 because if he was there should be plenty of life left in those legs. Chris Webber called out first game and kept pointing out how bad he look and that Luke needed to sit him. It's unfortunate but it is what it is at this point.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject:

Wildchild027 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
epak wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
MIMLaker wrote:

Randle @ 14.5
Lopez @ 8
IT @ 12
PG13 @ 30.3

No, it's not. We are trying to win a championship, and spending big money on anyone outside of Randle (playing like an all-star), and the max guys is a mistake. We keep forgetting what our goals are. We aren't trying to make the playoffs, we trying to win the whole dam thing.

Yeah on one year deals it’s ok as a plan B. But if IT/Brook are eating up a max going forward that’s not ideal. But magic and Pelinka have already Shown great capstinence in 2017 FA and likely won’t panic.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject:

Wildchild027 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

I guess we just rate the players differently. That team is a team that can compete for the next decade and get better every year.
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Seems Deng not playing is mutual from what I’ve been seeing.

That maybe true. It's crazy that we are winning playing two guys who were in the G league. Hell, Ennis and Corey Brewer played ahead of Deng.
daytripper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Lebron or PG13, I'll take either. Our players are making me hope Bron and PG13 don't collude and tell Maginka they are a package deal. Hopefully one of them have the guts to come alone. Honestly, it makes the most sense for PG13. He's never won and OKC is a 5-8 seed for the forseable future. Why wouldn't you want to be 5-8 in LA and get a boatload of credit? I think Lebron is the one who would require another max player for him to leave the kosher East. PG13 doesn't have the pressure that Lebron has. PG13 would simply be going home to a team with a brighter future than OKC. Then keep Brook, IT and Randle.

Brook
Randle
Ingram
Lonzo
PG13

Ivica or Cleveland pick
Thomas Bryant promotion or Cleveland pick
Kuzma
Hart
IT

Seriously this is my hope too that one of them wants to be here enough to come here alone and play with our kids. Frankly having both PG and LeBron on the roster probably stymies the development of Ingram tbh. I might rather give a max 1 year contract to IT and then see how 2019 plays out in FA while our kids keep developing next season.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject:

Wildchild027 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
epak wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
MIMLaker wrote:

Randle @ 14.5
Lopez @ 8
IT @ 12
PG13 @ 30.3

What kind of results are you expecting? Instant Championship next year?

Even if they somehow landed both James and George as many keep insisting is going to happen, are they winning it all next year? I'm skeptical of those unrealistic results.

If the Lakers can get the above signings at that low ball price it would be a incredible off-season. I may like other options better but I could accept that roster.

Main thing is realistic playoff goals. First earning a playoff spot. Then consistently getting in and improving. As the young core develops together they can contend, maybe. Going to take continued growth by multiple players.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject:

IT and Brook are near 30. Eating up future cap space to keep them on 3-4 deals is not a good use of cap space. LBJ is an exception bc I think he’s basically the “Wilt” of this generation.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject:

jg77 wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:

They can't be compared.

I have a feeling Deng really isn't 32 because if he was there should be plenty of life left in those legs. Chris Webber called out first game and kept pointing out how bad he look and that Luke needed to sit him. It's unfortunate but it is what it is at this point.

Welcome to Thibs ball. paying your startes 40+ minutes 80+ games a season
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
IT and Brook are near 30. Eating up future cap space to keep them on 3-4 deals is not a good use of cap space. LBJ is an exception bc I think he’s basically the “Wilt” of this generation.

Just curious, but what are your thought on giving Brook a large contract, after we lock up LBJ, PG13 and Randle. This assumes that it is possible.

So room exception for Brook as your plan A says, then 2-3 year extension at around Clarkson's current contract after.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1258, 1259, 1260 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 1259 of 2680
Jump to: