OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1281, 1282, 1283 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
So are we just gonna blow off Windhorsts theory that we can sign 3 max guys?

IG- where did you hear/read this ?

Would like to listen to it/read it.

It’s tough to make that math work, but I’m curious what he’s thinking.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject:

He says we can potentially open up a 3rd max slot
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject:

Yes, all we need is $90+ mil in cap space with a $101 mil cap.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject:

If we could actually mathematically open up a 3rd max slot, that could give us better odds to land LeBron especially since bringing in that 3rd star will put us on the Warriors level, Houston might have a tougher time to convince him since we will have the better team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject:

From parsons777 cap thread. http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=184161

6. Trying for 3 Max, Trade Deng, Zo, Zu and TB with nothing coming back, renounce everyone, cut Ennis
$84 mill available - you still do not get there! But you get closeish

BI 5.76
Kuz 1.69
Hart 1.66
1stRd25 0.00+
Inc9_850k 7.76 ( incomplete roster hold, 9 spots )
Total: 16.76
Cap: 101.00
Available: 84.24
+ this scenario now assumes we have to trade the CLE pick to move Deng

Max Salaries
0-6 years 25% of cap=$25.25 mill
7-9 years 30% of cap=$30.30 mill
10+ years 35% of cap=$35.35 mill

Summer, 2018 years of service for some free agents:
PG13 8 years of service
Boogie 9 years of service
Bron 10+ years of service

Please check my figures.

Redoing with 1st round pick.

Updated incomplete roster hold to $850k

Note: I get the argument that some are making, once we sign one or two max guys the incomplete roster holds drop by those guys. I have just concluded it is easier to do that adjustment in your head, rather than changing the assumptions that we have to count the holds until the moment the signing occurs. Could change this approach later, let's see. It does not impact the numbers much either way.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

It's hard to see it. Its unrealistic but theoretically possible for 3 guys to fit but it's a steap discount they'd have to take. In theory they could deal Deng with Kuzma and/or Hart plus 1sts for a true 3rd star, but you'd have to renounce JR. That circles us back to why keeping Julius, even if you have to hand over two 1sts is a better option.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
My prediction is so many here will be more than happy if lbj/pg/jules are signed and we’re on a 60 win pace in year 1 of the team. We are so accustomed it seems to eschewing talent bc we are so used to them rejecting us (ie “you can’t fire me I quit.”).

LBJ won’t be instigating with Magic acting as an even stronger counterpoint against him in LA.

You think magic is an even stronger counterpart than Riley was?

At this juncture yes. I don’t see LBJ strong arming Magic to fire Luke, trade all the young guys, etc, things that folks worry LeGM May do.

Brother Yinomas I'm more worried about our team changing the way we play with he entrance of Lebron. I still think Kawhi is still a short shot at leaving the spurs. I wanna get PG and wait for Kawhi.

I just don’t see Pg13 coming here without another star so LBJ is my way of ensuring we get pg13.

Just my Opinion but I don't another star is needed especially when we have his stable mate Randle. I agree that having another star in place makes it an edited decision.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Thanks man!
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
My prediction is so many here will be more than happy if lbj/pg/jules are signed and we’re on a 60 win pace in year 1 of the team. We are so accustomed it seems to eschewing talent bc we are so used to them rejecting us (ie “you can’t fire me I quit.”).

LBJ won’t be instigating with Magic acting as an even stronger counterpoint against him in LA.

At this juncture yes. I don’t see LBJ strong arming Magic to fire Luke, trade all the young guys, etc, things that folks worry LeGM May do.

Lebron's MO isn't to strong-arm. It's to subtly undermine. If he's unhappy with Walton, he'll make subtle digs about the team being "out-coached" or "out-schemed," make offhand comments about his disbelief that e.g. David Fizdale is still unemployed. If he's unhappy with his teammates, he'll make comments about how green the team is, how they might be "years" away from true contention...but cap it all off with how he doesn't worry about that stuff, he just "plays." It's why he'll probably sign a 1+1 here, to make sure his comments are really heard.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Yes, all we need is $90+ mil in cap space with a $101 mil cap.

Yeah- it's not happening. They'd need $95m in space for Lebron, PG and a 3rd max.

I was curious to see what he was basing the idea on, but he was just riffing off the top of his head on TD day, which is what I figured, as most of these national guys don't know the detailed cap numbers.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Lakers will swing for this fences. If we connect we get lbj/Pg13/jules/brooks. If we whiff we still have a young and exciting team that will try to compete to make the playoffs and likely we try 2019 FA again (though I don’t want to punt more than 1 max slot).

I'm very confident that we're going to get PG and fairly confident that Lebron is also coming, but I think PG is coming either way.

If we get neither, they will keep both max slots open, but there are plenty of ways to do that while building on this year's success.

Most likely, they'd re-sign JR, keep Deng as cap filler, bring Lopez back on an above-market 1 yr deal and perhaps KCP and/or IT also (if both parties think that's a good idea- TBD).

Sign a player or two on a value deal and rent some capspace out for a 1st rd pick.

Nothing wrong with that summer, and it would give us two more summers to go after big fish, with this young team only getting more appealing each summer as they keep improving.

Even with no PG, if Randle is re-signed and Lopez and KCP brought back, this team will make the playoffs next year, given the rate that the young guys keep improving.

So I see a big difference between keeping their cap flexible in that way vs the days of Carlos Boozer, Jodie Meeks and Jordan Hill, etc.
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Wildchild027 wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
I like LeBron but I am concerned about his mileage. Not sure he wants to play a fast paced game either at this point. Lakers would take him with open arms but I wouldn't trade Randle to sign LeBron. I don't think it will take more than a future 1st and 2nd to get rid of Deng after this year.

Ideally we get LBJ/PG, re-sign Randle and Lopez.

LBJ
PG
Randle
Lonzo
Kuz
Hart
Ingram
Lopez

That team can easily win a few titles.

I don't understand how that team wins more than 2 games against Golden State. Seems like a random assortment of players against an elite offensive scheme with three of the greatest shooters of all time. Lebron operates best drawing defenses in and passing it out to open shooters. Lonzo hasn't proven he can shoot consistently yet, Ingram has been making them but taking less threes, Randle can't hit the broad side of a barn. Paul George is the best shooter of the bunch.

You don't see how a long, athletic team that can switch everything would be a problem for Golden State? I mean, Boston, Houston and OKC gave them problem with Bigs that can switch out on Curry and Thompson. You don't think Randle can do that?

I think it's crazy that Golden State's defense is so underrated. They can throw 5 ELITE 6'7-6'9 defenders at you with Klay, Iggy, Livingston, Draymond and Durant who is playing DPOY defense. Ingram isnt even a GOOD defender yet, Golden State has 5 ELITE LONG defenders. Oh, and they'd be twice the offensive team our Dream Team would be.

I can see LeBron willing us to two wins in the Playoffs but Golden State is going to remind everyone these Playoffs how truly scary they can be. They have the greatest collection of talent ever.

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Brother Yinomas I'm more worried about our team changing the way we play with he entrance of Lebron. I still think Kawhi is still a short shot at leaving the spurs. I wanna get PG and wait for Kawhi.

I just don’t see Pg13 coming here without another star so LBJ is my way of ensuring we get pg13.

Just my Opinion but I don't another star is needed especially when we have his stable mate Randle. I agree that having another star in place makes it an edited decision.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I can see it being possible, because it is in his arsenal, and because he takes over even very strong franchises. That said, I can also see a different scenario. Patience isn’t likely to be his calling card though.

What he does will signal his intent. He doesn’t do things by accident. It wouldn’t be surprising to see him come here, let things develop as they develop, win 50 games, go out of the playoffs in the first or second round, make $35 mil, work on his off court interests, and go after it again the next season. Magic gets the accolades for bringing him here and getting back to the playoffs. In short, I have always thought that if Lebron comes here then winning titles is in the rear view mirror. And the Warriors juggernaut is the main reason that might happen.

I wouldn't say there are any guarantees because of how Lebron likes to control things. But talent wise this trio could compete with anyone.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Dante Exum will be a potential target for back up PG void this summer.. he’s a former client of Pelinka.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject:

watchME wrote:
I would bench ball next season and start Kuzma

PG.Lebron vs Curry
SG.PG13 vs Klay
SF.Ingram vs Durant
PF.Kuzma vs Draymond
C.Randle vs Pachulia

Ball, Hart, Bryant, Zubac

Who does curry guard? Can Pachulia keep up with Randle? What happens to their interior defense when Draymond has to stay on the perimeter with Kuzma? Can they keep launching 3s if our team full of athletes keep on getting easy transition points with Lebron and ball leading the break with 4 elite athletes?

I like our chances.

Lebron can't defend PGs full time and A Healthy Curry will light his ass up. PG will be the guy they put him. And don't be surprised if he gets stripped by Curry. But at the end of the day I doubt Ball gets benched.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Dante Exum will be a potential target for back up PG void this summer.. he’s a former client of Pelinka.

We already have a point guard who struggles with his shot... please don't let us sign two of them. Seth Curry is fine if we pass on IT... hard pass on Exum unless he went to some unknown shooting rehabilitation center that I'm unaware of.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
If you are playing better than both guards on your team, I think it is natural to want to start. I'm pretty sure most of his career, IT has played behind guards who were worse than him, but because he's short he's had to take a back seat.

Season 1
Tyreke and John Salmons (began as bench and played himself to starter)

Anyone argue that John Salmons is better than IT?

Season 2
Tyreke and IT

Season 3

Got benched behind Greivis Vasquez and Ben McLemore

What's better about Greivis Vasquez? Nothing, except he's tall.

Any wonder why he'd want to leave Sacramento? I'd be pretty bitter if I were IT too.

Season 4 (Phoenix)

Had to play behind Dragic and Bledsoe. At least these are both decent players... but none have had the season IT had in Boston.

Season 5 (Boston)
Had to play behind Avery Bradley and Marcus Smart
Eventually worked his way into position as a starter.

Season 6 (Boston)

Has all star/MVP quality season averaging 29 points a game.

Season 7 (Cleveland)

Due to hip injury aggravated by playing through pain in the playoffs... he is unable to play. Plays poorly during 15 game spell... traded to Lakers

Season 7 (Lakers)

Agrees to play behind KCP and Josh Hart (rookie)

Finally starts when Hart and Kuzma are injured and KCP is moved to small forward.

The poor man has been pushed behind John Salmons, Greivis Vasquez, and Marcus Smart... also Bledsoe who you can at least understand but I still think IT is better than him. And some of you call him a cancer because he wants to start?

Every place he's ever played at except a bad Sacramento team... he's had to start from scratch... play on the bench behind inferior players... patiently outplay the starter and regain his position.

And for no other reason than because he's short.

If we don't resign him and sign the journeyman trash I see listed above, we deserve the karma we get for letting prejudice get in the way.

Every other GM has done it so far... why should some of you be any different?

Look man, say what you want but in the end, if you can't play defense, you aren't starting for a a championship team. As good as he is, and he does have skills, he also has deficiencies.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
If you are playing better than both guards on your team, I think it is natural to want to start. I'm pretty sure most of his career, IT has played behind guards who were worse than him, but because he's short he's had to take a back seat.

Season 1
Tyreke and John Salmons (began as bench and played himself to starter)

Anyone argue that John Salmons is better than IT?

Season 2
Tyreke and IT

Season 3

Got benched behind Greivis Vasquez and Ben McLemore

What's better about Greivis Vasquez? Nothing, except he's tall.

Any wonder why he'd want to leave Sacramento? I'd be pretty bitter if I were IT too.

Season 4 (Phoenix)

Had to play behind Dragic and Bledsoe. At least these are both decent players... but none have had the season IT had in Boston.

Season 5 (Boston)
Had to play behind Avery Bradley and Marcus Smart
Eventually worked his way into position as a starter.

Season 6 (Boston)

Has all star/MVP quality season averaging 29 points a game.

Season 7 (Cleveland)

Due to hip injury aggravated by playing through pain in the playoffs... he is unable to play. Plays poorly during 15 game spell... traded to Lakers

Season 7 (Lakers)

Agrees to play behind KCP and Josh Hart (rookie)

Finally starts when Hart and Kuzma are injured and KCP is moved to small forward.

The poor man has been pushed behind John Salmons, Greivis Vasquez, and Marcus Smart... also Bledsoe who you can at least understand but I still think IT is better than him. And some of you call him a cancer because he wants to start?

Every place he's ever played at except a bad Sacramento team... he's had to start from scratch... play on the bench behind inferior players... patiently outplay the starter and regain his position.

And for no other reason than because he's short.

If we don't resign him and sign the journeyman trash I see listed above, we deserve the karma we get for letting prejudice get in the way.

Every other GM has done it so far... why should some of you be any different?

Look man, say what you want but in the end, if you can't play defense, you aren't starting for a a championship team. As good as he is, and he does have skills, he also has deficiencies.

I've suggested him in a three man platoon with Lonzo and Hart where you'd play him when you needed offense and you'd play Lonzo and Hart when you were protecting a lead down the stretch.

This is also my plan B if and only if we don't sign LBJ and PG13

Lonzo isn't quite ready yet either physically or mentally to deal with a serious playoff challenge, so IT would provide a good backup in case he got hurt or went into a bad slump.

IT may not want to accept anything less than guaranteed starter... if so, we part ways... he might not accept anything less than a long term contract... if so, we also part ways. But if he's willing to accept a more modest role to play for a future contender... then we should sign him.

But only if the PG/LBJ dream falls through.
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
I like LeBron but I am concerned about his mileage. Not sure he wants to play a fast paced game either at this point. Lakers would take him with open arms but I wouldn't trade Randle to sign LeBron. I don't think it will take more than a future 1st and 2nd to get rid of Deng after this year.

LBJ
PG
Randle
Lonzo
Kuz
Hart
Ingram
Lopez

I don't understand how that team wins more than 2 games against Golden State. Seems like a random assortment of players against an elite offensive scheme with three of the greatest shooters of all time. Lebron operates best drawing defenses in and passing it out to open shooters. Lonzo hasn't proven he can shoot consistently yet, Ingram has been making them but taking less threes, Randle can't hit the broad side of a barn. Paul George is the best shooter of the bunch.

You don't see how a long, athletic team that can switch everything would be a problem for Golden State? I mean, Boston, Houston and OKC gave them problem with Bigs that can switch out on Curry and Thompson. You don't think Randle can do that?

I think it's crazy that Golden State's defense is so underrated. They can throw 5 ELITE 6'7-6'9 defenders at you with Klay, Iggy, Livingston, Draymond and Durant who is playing DPOY defense. Ingram isnt even a GOOD defender yet, Golden State has 5 ELITE LONG defenders. Oh, and they'd be twice the offensive team our Dream Team would be.

I can see LeBron willing us to two wins in the Playoffs but Golden State is going to remind everyone these Playoffs how truly scary they can be. They have the greatest collection of talent ever.

I'm sorry, if you think 35 y/o Iggy is elite, and a 34 y/o Livingston is elite, I don't know what to tell you. And what about the horrible spacing with Iggy , Livingston and Green. It's a reason that the Warriors have trouble with OKC, Houston and Boston. They all have 6'8 guys to throw at Golden State wings . I will be very surprise if the Warriors run thru the playoffs. This will be year 4 of their run and you already see slippage in their defense.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject:

Who is the 3rd max player that we even want?
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject:

Wildchild027 wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

LBJ
PG
Randle
Lonzo
Kuz
Hart
Ingram
Lopez

I'm sorry, if you think 35 y/o Iggy is elite, and a 34 y/o Livingston is elite, I don't know what to tell you. And what about the horrible spacing with Iggy , Livingston and Green. It's a reason that the Warriors have trouble with OKC, Houston and Boston. They all have 6'8 guys to throw at Golden State wings . I will be very surprise if the Warriors run thru the playoffs. This will be year 4 of their run and you already see slippage in their defense.

The problem is the core four is still there. We have to deal with that still.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

LakerLogic wrote:
Who is the 3rd max player that we even want?

We could use the 3rd max slot to absorb contracts which could help us fill our bench in case we are stuck with no depth.
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

It's crazy how we overate players. We will have spacing issues with Ingram and Ball playing with LeBron, but a Iggy, Livingston, Green, Thompson and Durant fivesome wouldn't have spacing issues at all. Eventhough Green shoots 29% from three and Iggy shoots 26% from three .
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1281, 1282, 1283 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 1282 of 2680
Jump to: