OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1291, 1292, 1293 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
I already said in an earlier post that IT is only keeping it real and saying what all competitors think in their minds publicly. Do you really want floating players with Sacre's mentality who are just happy to be on the bench?

Any player worth their salt wants to start. Julius was pissed when he was benched... he just looked annoyed and didn't say it out loud.

I have no problem with IT wanting to start as long as he doesn't actively sabotage the team, which so far it seems like he hasn't

It's pretty self-defeating to say that you're preemptively not happy about the only role that would be available for you on the Lakers. It reveals a lot about the kind of expectations he has and would have on the team.

This is less than 10 games in that he's already signaled that he's not going to be a 6th man.

Do you deny that most all star caliber players would want to start even though they don't have the balls to be honest and say it publicly?

It's pretty simple really... either he accepts the role available and signs the contract or he doesn't. But I think you are exaggerating the impact of a player being honest for a change vs. simply giving the traditional politically correct answer.

But he's not an all star caliber player right now, ergo, why he will be looking for a team to take him. He's already probably shooting himself in the foot with his statement to Amick.

It's not like, "I believe I can be a starter, but I understand teams want to see if I can contribute off the bench. I'll be a team player and do whatever is asked of me."

He fired a shot across the bow already. That's self-defeating. It's not like teams need to be reminded that IT has confidence or that he lacks confidence.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject:

I think there is a good chance that we get LeBron but PG stays in OKC, this is where pursuing a 2nd superstar via trade makes sense.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
I think there is a good chance that we get LeBron but PG stays in OKC, this is where pursuing a 2nd superstar via trade makes sense.

i think there is absolutely 0 chance Lebron comes here by himself.

if anything it will be Lebron + PG + another star( Kawahi) in a trade
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
I already said in an earlier post that IT is only keeping it real and saying what all competitors think in their minds publicly. Do you really want floating players with Sacre's mentality who are just happy to be on the bench?

Any player worth their salt wants to start. Julius was pissed when he was benched... he just looked annoyed and didn't say it out loud.

I have no problem with IT wanting to start as long as he doesn't actively sabotage the team, which so far it seems like he hasn't

It's pretty self-defeating to say that you're preemptively not happy about the only role that would be available for you on the Lakers. It reveals a lot about the kind of expectations he has and would have on the team.

This is less than 10 games in that he's already signaled that he's not going to be a 6th man.

Do you deny that most all star caliber players would want to start even though they don't have the balls to be honest and say it publicly?

It's pretty simple really... either he accepts the role available and signs the contract or he doesn't. But I think you are exaggerating the impact of a player being honest for a change vs. simply giving the traditional politically correct answer.

But he's not an all star caliber player right now, ergo, why he will be looking for a team to take him. He's already probably shooting himself in the foot with his statement to Amick.

It's not like, "I believe I can be a starter, but I understand teams want to see if I can contribute off the bench. I'll be a team player and do whatever is asked of me."

He fired a shot across the bow already. That's self-defeating. It's not like teams need to be reminded that IT has confidence or that he lacks confidence.

So what, you know where he stands. Why aren't you more annoyed that a player who is shooting 44% TS is guaranteed a starting position no matter what and why are you willing to sign a journeyman to back him up?

Why aren't you annoyed that this player's father is already insisting that his son will only play for the Lakers if we sign both of his brothers?

My point isn't that Lonzo isn't worth it... my point is that you ignore all the red flags involved in that narrative because you've set your mind on the two max plan and continually hammer home the message that it is the only way to go. You are right that it is the best outcome... but where we disagree is how to handle it if it doesn't come to fruition.

For all the arguing I've done in favor of IT... I'm not locked in to signing him either... I'd still like to explore the viability of signing Seth... I'm still worried as you are about his hip... I am concerned about defense despite my advocacy for him. But I'm also afraid we are letting a golden opportunity slip through our fingers... I'm worried Lonzo might not fix his shot for another year or too... I'm worried a direct competitor will sign him and give us fits.

If I saw you effectively arguing many different scenarios... I'd be much less concerned about your bias. But basically it's either sign the two maxes... or sign one year deals until we can acquire someone next year.

No one is arguing the two max plan... it's a good one. Where we differ is perhaps your optimism at easily replacing a player with IT's skill set.

Maybe you are right... and some unforeseen combination of players comes and fixes everything... maybe all the youngsters make quantum leaps like Julius and Ingram and we don't need anyone. But whatever it is the only narrative you argue convincingly is the two max plan... and in that respect you are preaching to the converted. The rest still seems fuzzy to me.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject:

If IT didn't say what he said, at least learned the politics of the free agency game/Lakers cap situation, I'd argue he'd have a chance.

By coming out and saying he's not a 6th man, effectively taking himself out of what the Lakers need him to be.

I'm really not that worried about another team having IT on a 2-4 year deal when he hits his 30s.

And you discount the myriad of plans and alternatives offered. Not sure why you want to force him into a role he clearly does not want.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:

Utah -- Yes, but he doesn't provide spacing with Gobert on the floor.

Indiana -- Could be a yes depending on how they handle afew contracts. Probably not a high need with Turner and Sabonis on the roster as young bigs. Maybe their FO might not be interested in pursuing a Mintz client.

Other than Dallas, these two teams that could really make a run at him.

Indiana looked to be fully rebuilding, but actually look to be pretty close to being a very good team. Randle aligned with their timeline and is actually a really good pairing with Turner. They also haven't invested much in Leaf or Sabonis.

Utah could decide that they want Randle and not Favors. Again, he aligns with their timeline.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
If IT didn't say what he said, at least learned the politics of the free agency game/Lakers cap situation, I'd argue he'd have a chance.

By coming out and saying he's not a 6th man, effectively taking himself out of what the Lakers need him to be.

I'm really not that worried about another team having IT on a 2-4 year deal when he hits his 30s.

And you discount the myriad of plans and alternatives offered. Not sure why you want to force him into a role he clearly does not want.

It's a given that IT wants to be a starter not a 6th man in the same way a single straight man would want to sleep with his gorgeous Instagram model platonic friend if given the chance. You are penalizing him for only saying aloud what every competitive athlete is thinking. What Julius thought before being restored to the starting lineup. Can it be a problem? Sure... but it doesn't have to be one. I'd rather someone tell me how they feel to my face and upfront, then give the convenient answer only to be stewing inside.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject:

I originally was fine with (in fact preferred) IT resigning with us. As time goes on, the pendulum has swung other way. He is a to much of a "me first" type of player and that will not change. I think he would damage the culture that we have built/trying to build if he was here long term. I laughed at reports that he would go back to the Celtics. The Celts were glad they offed him, especially after the immaturity he displayed after he was traded. What irritates me the most about him is when he drives to the basket and things do not go his way (turnover, has shot blocked, etc.), He sulks and walks back every single time. This is the crap that JR did in the beginning of the year and never does it anymore.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

It's a given that IT wants to be a starter not a 6th man in the same way a single straight man would want to sleep with his gorgeous Instagram model platonic friend if given the chance. You are penalizing him for only saying aloud what every competitive athlete is thinking. What Julius thought before being restored to the starting lineup. Can it be a problem? Sure... but it doesn't have to be one. I'd rather someone tell me how they feel to my face and upfront, then give the convenient answer only to be stewing inside.

And that’s not a role they will offer. So he’s basically taking himself out of the running. It’s really simple man.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
I originally was fine with (in fact preferred) IT resigning with us. As time goes on, the pendulum has swung other way. He is a to much of a "me first" type of player and that will not change. I think he would damage the culture that we have built/trying to build if he was here long term. I laughed at reports that he would go back to the Celtics. The Celts were glad they offed him, especially after the immaturity he displayed after he was traded. What irritates me the most about him is when he drives to the basket and things do not go his way (turnover, has shot blocked, etc.), He sulks and walks back every single time. This is the crap that JR did in the beginning of the year and never does it anymore.

Agreed. He's really trying to rehab his career so that he can be a starter/"star" again. Seems pretty clear that's his priority at this point.

That just doesn't align with what the Lakers need him to do, and even with his flaws (he's only a rookie/20), Lonzo is the PG of the future.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, he's basically closed off a potential return. Pretty foolish move by him IMO. Sticking in LA with bird rights would be his best option imo save a large cap room offer which seems unlikely). Probably a pride before the fall situation.

I know Gilbert was a huge fan of IT's and moving him was in part an attempt to please LeBron. I wonder if they were interested if there was a way to S&T Thomas and a few other assets in trade for LeBron that didn't require you to open up quite as much cap room to add George, keep Jules and make an offer to KCP.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

And that’s not a role they will offer. So he’s basically taking himself out of the running. It’s really simple man.

If you simply say... I don't think they will sign him... I'm not going to argue with that because it is your opinion and you have the right to think whatever you please.

However, if you say how they won't sign him because he announced publicly that he's not a sixth man... I take issue with that because I think all good players think that and it should be their mindset. Maybe it moves the needle a tiny bit, but I think insiders already know his mentality.

I think if you just said that you didn't want him here because you don't like his play... I think I'd be a lot less vocal about contradicting your points.

It's when you try to bring it up like it should be an accepted universal truth that I start to take object. You don't say "it's a universal truth" but you present it like one, and you say it over and over again as an influential poster on the board so it begins to stick. I don't even disagree with you much of the time... but when I do, I feel compelled to play devil's advocate because you say your thoughts with so much conviction and repetition.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, he's basically closed off a potential return. Pretty foolish move by him IMO. Sticking in LA with bird rights would be his best option imo save a large cap room offer which seems unlikely). Probably a pride before the fall situation.

I know Gilbert was a huge fan of IT's and moving him was in part an attempt to please LeBron. I wonder if they were interested if there was a way to S&T Thomas and a few other assets in trade for LeBron that didn't require you to open up quite as much cap room to add George, keep Jules and make an offer to KCP.

Yeah. This sort of stuff won't play with a lot of front offices IMO who can't guarantee him a starting job. It would have been in his own financial interest to at least fake the funk and TRY to do whatever the team asks of him.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

If you simply say... I don't think they will sign him... I'm not going to argue with that because it is your opinion and you have the right to think whatever you please.

However, if you say how they won't sign him because he announced publicly that he's not a sixth man... I take issue with that because I think all good players think that and it should be their mindset. Maybe it moves the needle a tiny bit, but I think insiders already know his mentality.

I think if you just said that you didn't want him here because you don't like his play... I think I'd be a lot less vocal about contradicting your points.

It's when you try to bring it up like it should be an accepted universal truth that I start to take object. You don't say "it's a universal truth" but you present it like one, and you say it over and over again as an influential poster on the board so it begins to stick. I don't even disagree with you much of the time... but when I do, I feel compelled to play devil's advocate because you say your thoughts with so much conviction and repetition.

This is not even a devil's advocate position. You're just not taking IT's words at face value. It's not like teams were inquiring, "man, I wonder if IT is still confident." It's the opposite. Shows a long history of IT being IT. Probably cost him some money in FA.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Pretty crazy article on ESPN on how LBJ spends over 1m/year on maintaining his body. Dang.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

This is not even a devil's advocate position. You're just not taking IT's words at face value. It's not like teams were inquiring, "man, I wonder if IT is still confident." It's the opposite. Shows a long history of IT being IT. Probably cost him some money in FA.

My point is that it doesn't matter what IT says. In a way it's a cousin to when LaVar tries to speak something into existence. He can say it all he wants, but the only thing that matters is whether a GM will let him start, whether they will pay him what he wants, and give him the length of contract he desires. In that context I agree with you in the sense that if a playoff caliber team offers him a starting job with a long term contract then yes, he won't be playing in the P & G next year. But considering that maybe only bad teams like Atlanta may offer him that job... or that no one offers him a long term deal... we as much as anyone have a chance of signing him if no one gives him a big offer. Some of this is due to cap issues, some of it is due to fit, and some of this will be due to worries about his injury.

My only concern is that we keep the option open if LBJ and PG don't come. As long as we try, if plan A falls through... I will have no complaints about losing out on him... but I would be annoyed if we lost due to lack of foresight or respect for the player.

Last edited by Sentient Meat on Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
jg77
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject:

In honor of our game tonight...maybe we shouldn't always be after big names and actually be trying to find the next Victor Oladipo.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
My point is that it doesn't matter what IT says. In a way it's a cousin to when LaVar tries to speak something into existence.

Nah. If IT's dad was talking smack who cares. If Lonzo says it, different story. IT is pretty clear about his expectations.

I can see a team like the Knicks, who are a bit rudderless outside of KP trying him on a 1 year starting deal. That's the kind of team I think he will end up on.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
My point is that it doesn't matter what IT says. In a way it's a cousin to when LaVar tries to speak something into existence.

Nah. If IT's dad was talking smack who cares. If Lonzo says it, different story. IT is pretty clear about his expectations.

I can see a team like the Knicks, who are a bit rudderless outside of KP trying him on a 1 year starting deal. That's the kind of team I think he will end up on.

If we lost him to the Knicks for a large multiyear deal... I'd have no problem with that... and I agree he'd be a good fit there. However, if we don't sign PG and LBJ... we need to sign Randle... and give IT and Brook good offers. If we make the Knicks overpay... fine... but if we don't even try I would consider that a poor decision if we didn't land someone like Seth in his place.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

If we lost him to the Knicks for a large multiyear deal... I'd have no problem with that... and I agree he'd be a good fit there. However, if we don't sign PG and LBJ... we need to sign Randle... and give IT and Brook good offers. If we make the Knicks overpay... fine... but if we don't even try I would consider that a poor decision if we didn't land someone like Seth in his place.

Which is why we are back to IT's comment about not wanting to be a 6th man, which he would be. So I think it would be a mutual parting.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Which is why we are back to IT's comment about not wanting to be a 6th man, which he would be. So I think it would be a mutual parting.

You keep missing my point that no good players want to be a sixth man.

You also discount the possibility of starting IT and using him in a three man rotation with Hart.

If IT cares only about playing more minutes and the NY lifestyle then that's where he might end up. If he wants to win, he might accept a lesser role if it was presented in a way that was palatable to him. A clever GM makes an offer that might convince him to stay.
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject:

jg77 wrote:
In honor of our game tonight...maybe we shouldn't always be after big names and actually be trying to find the next Victor Oladipo.

Victor Oladipo was the number 2 pick in the draft. He's suppose to be doing this.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

You also discount the possibility of starting IT and using him in a three man rotation with Hart.

If IT cares only about playing more minutes and the NY lifestyle then that's where he might end up. If he wants to win, he might accept a lesser role if it was presented in a way that was palatable to him. A clever GM makes an offer that might convince him to stay.

But that's not the point. It's not about mentality. It's about coming out, on the eve of your FA, and telling prospective employers that your expectation is to start. Frankly, it's his demand.

Lakers aren't starting him, and doubt he starts with Lonzo b/c of defensive reasons. Why can't we just accept at face value, what IT said he wants? I don't understand the difficulty of that.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

But that's not the point. It's not about mentality. It's about coming out, on the eve of your FA, and telling prospective employers that your expectation is to start. Frankly, it's his demand.

Lakers aren't starting him, and doubt he starts with Lonzo b/c of defensive reasons. Why can't we just accept at face value, what IT said he wants? I don't understand the difficulty of that.

I can concede that you may be right... but you should also concede you might be wrong. You as a slight IT detractor should not have been surprised by his words... I know I wasn't.

I think it's all about options... if he has a lot of options then he's probably gone... if he doesn't then maybe he's here if we don't sign the two big agents. What ironic here is a lot of you think he's a cancer that few will want to sign... yet somehow he will be difficult to sign at a fair price.

Both things can't be true simultaneously.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
Bard207 wrote:

Utah -- Yes, but he doesn't provide spacing with Gobert on the floor.

Indiana -- Could be a yes depending on how they handle afew contracts. Probably not a high need with Turner and Sabonis on the roster as young bigs. Maybe their FO might not be interested in pursuing a Mintz client.

Other than Dallas, these two teams that could really make a run at him.

Indiana looked to be fully rebuilding, but actually look to be pretty close to being a very good team. Randle aligned with their timeline and is actually a really good pairing with Turner. They also haven't invested much in Leaf or Sabonis.

Utah could decide that they want Randle and not Favors. Again, he aligns with their timeline.

Nets without Joe Harris has $18mil cap space plus J.Lin’s is gonna be $12.5mil expiring next season. Don’t sleep on them trying to get Randle
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1291, 1292, 1293 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 1292 of 2680
Jump to: