OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1298, 1299, 1300 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Crazy how LBJ’s possible last stand in Clev is with KLove and a bunch of role players. That went downhill pretty fast.

And it will get tougher from here for him because if he signs here then Houston and GS will do everything in their power to keep LeBron out of the NBA finals in fact they will make sure he will never see the NBA finals again.
Robster8989
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Could also mean that you get an enhanced endorsement earning though if they were in the La market. Many shoe companies offer such enhancements if you’re in LA/NY for example.

If you’re making THAT much in Clev or Portland it will be enhanced in LA.

The shoe companies are a huge driver behind the scenes that don't get talked about that much. My understanding is that Nike wanted KD in GS badly for his increased exposure, bigger market and to offset Steph/UA.

He didn't go to GS because of that, but knowing that Nike was going to increase his endorsement deal made it a wash in terms of taking less money to sign there.

Adidas could do something similar in a Kawhi to LA move. If they gave him enough to offset two years of lesser salary and cover the cost of an insurance policy that would protect him against career-ending injury, the move becomes a lot easier to make.

He could also use the threat of Adidas to get Nike/Jordan to step up. He'd be a lot more valuable to any company as the face of the Lakers than as the face of the Spurs, who are as low-profile as any team in the NBA, despite their success over the last two decades.

I would imagine PG13 would get a sizeable bump in his Nike deal and increased shoe sales (I pledge to buy one of his dope shoes if he signs).

You going to buy a left shoe or a right?
Maybe we could split a pair?

West Point '88
UCLA '92
75th Ranger Regiment '88-'04
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Cleveland had too many high first round picks that disappointed and it has now caught up with them.

Bennett -- #1 (2013)
Waiters -- #4 (2012)
Thompson -- #4 (2011)
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Robster8989 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Could also mean that you get an enhanced endorsement earning though if they were in the La market. Many shoe companies offer such enhancements if you’re in LA/NY for example.

If you’re making THAT much in Clev or Portland it will be enhanced in LA.

The shoe companies are a huge driver behind the scenes that don't get talked about that much. My understanding is that Nike wanted KD in GS badly for his increased exposure, bigger market and to offset Steph/UA.

He didn't go to GS because of that, but knowing that Nike was going to increase his endorsement deal made it a wash in terms of taking less money to sign there.

Adidas could do something similar in a Kawhi to LA move. If they gave him enough to offset two years of lesser salary and cover the cost of an insurance policy that would protect him against career-ending injury, the move becomes a lot easier to make.

He could also use the threat of Adidas to get Nike/Jordan to step up. He'd be a lot more valuable to any company as the face of the Lakers than as the face of the Spurs, who are as low-profile as any team in the NBA, despite their success over the last two decades.

I would imagine PG13 would get a sizeable bump in his Nike deal and increased shoe sales (I pledge to buy one of his dope shoes if he signs).

You going to buy a left shoe or a right?
Maybe we could split a pair?

We are all going to buy PGs!!!
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Cleveland had too many high first round picks that disappointed and it has now caught up with them.

Bennett -- #1 (2013)
Waiters -- #4 (2012)
Thompson -- #4 (2011)

still can't believe anthony bennett was a number one pick lol
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject:

Freddie Buckets wrote:
Bard207 wrote:

Bennett -- #1 (2013)
Waiters -- #4 (2012)
Thompson -- #4 (2011)

Yeah, pretty much the worst #1 pick of all time.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject:

So if LBJ wants to come here you think Magic says “no thanks?”
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject:

Channing Frye: Lakers are ‘appealing place’ for free agents like LeBron James, Paul George

Quote:
“I think you’re going to see a lot of guys this summer who want to play with Lonzo and Kuz and Brandon and guys that they have here and just build from that,” Frye said. “This is a pretty appealing place. It doesn’t hurt that it’s the Lakers and that these young guys are some of the best young guys in the NBA.”

With just 12 games remaining in the regular season, Frye said he wants to see where he “could fit in for the future.” If it’s with the Lakers, he also can envision himself serving as a bit of a matchmaker.

Quote:
“I think a lot of vets are going to ask me how it is,” Frye said. “They’re going to ask I.T. (Isaiah Thomas) how it is.”
And yes, if his former teammate James is the target, Frye will happily make a phone call.

“I’ll make a call to Jesus if I have to,” Frye said, “if that’s going to help get a win.”

Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject:

I have always loved Frye
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject:

I hope Lakers keep him if he helps us land star FAs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject:

Frye is the kind of player that would take the vet minium to join a contender.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
I hope Lakers keep him if he helps us land star FAs

I assume at this stage of his career Frye is going to to go into veteran minimum terrain. If that's the case, he can go to pretty much any team in the league, cuz everyone would want him as a cheap veteran deep on the bench. It will just be a case of where he wants to play.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:

he's going to be here next year for sure, IMO.

don't count out Chris Bosh as well who wants to make a comeback.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject:

watching that Cleveland / Toronto game tonight made it pretty clear to me Cleveland will be back in the Finals most likely. The whole game it looked like Lebron was going about 75%....almost like he refused to appear to give great effort against Toronto. Even when they were down big in the 3rd, it felt like Cleveland was somewhat in control.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
watching that Cleveland / Toronto game tonight made it pretty clear to me Cleveland will be back in the Finals most likely. The whole game it looked like Lebron was going about 75%....almost like he refused to appear to give great effort against Toronto. Even when they were down big in the 3rd, it felt like Cleveland was somewhat in control.

Raptors remind of the Hawks when they had the best record in the East a few years back. It doesn't mean a damn thing.
Fracture
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject:

LeBron has been coasting all year. He'll make the finals. And he will lose again
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject:

Fracture wrote:
LeBron has been coasting all year. He'll make the finals. And he will lose again

And if he tries to come west he might not see the finals again because Houston and GS will try and stop him.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Raptors remind of the Hawks when they had the best record in the East a few years back. It doesn't mean a damn thing.

Cleveland will have to beat both Boston and Toronto to get back to the finals again without home-court advantage. So the Cavs better learn how to win road games.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
Fracture wrote:

And if he tries to come west he might not see the finals again because Houston and GS will try and stop him.

I catch your drift but if he plays any where near the way he's playing here, with PG, and these kids + all the ring chasing vets we'd inevitably get.. we're just as good as anyone in the NBA.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Cleveland will have to beat both Boston and Toronto to get back to the finals again without home-court advantage. So the Cavs better learn how to win road games.

at this point, it is not clear Irving will return this season.....and if he does not, that path gets much easier.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:

Frye has already won a ring, so I don't know that he'd sacrifice money to go for another, especially since he's likely to be a deep backup. More likely, he'll take the vet minimum because that's all he'll be offered. If he's available for the minimum, I assume the Warriors, Rockets and most of the other top teams will offer him a slot. He's the type of player that every team loves to have at the end of the bench.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject:

It's funny how some here think almost 33 year old Chris Paul is made out of vibranium and just turned 29 IT is about to liquefy like a mummy. And no I am not saying IT is better than Paul... I'm only noting that you all think LeBron wants to go to Houston like CP3 is going to last forever and we will destroy our future if we sign a 29 year old to anything more than a one year contract.

Be consistent... just saying.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Channing Frye: Lakers are ‘appealing place’ for free agents like LeBron James, Paul George

Quote:
“I think you’re going to see a lot of guys this summer who want to play with Lonzo and Kuz and Brandon and guys that they have here and just build from that,” Frye said. “This is a pretty appealing place. It doesn’t hurt that it’s the Lakers and that these young guys are some of the best young guys in the NBA.”

With just 12 games remaining in the regular season, Frye said he wants to see where he “could fit in for the future.” If it’s with the Lakers, he also can envision himself serving as a bit of a matchmaker.

Quote:
“I think a lot of vets are going to ask me how it is,” Frye said. “They’re going to ask I.T. (Isaiah Thomas) how it is.”
And yes, if his former teammate James is the target, Frye will happily make a phone call.

“I’ll make a call to Jesus if I have to,” Frye said, “if that’s going to help get a win.”

How mind blowing would it be if it turned out that the key to getting Lebron James was our acquisition of Channing Frye
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject:

Freddie Buckets wrote:
Bard207 wrote:

Bennett -- #1 (2013)
Waiters -- #4 (2012)
Thompson -- #4 (2011)

That was such a bad draft.......congrats on the teams that actually got something of value....the Cavs certainly didn't.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
It's funny how some here think almost 33 year old Chris Paul is made out of vibranium and just turned 29 IT is about to liquefy like a mummy. And no I am not saying IT is better than Paul... I'm only noting that you all think LeBron wants to go to Houston like CP3 is going to last forever and we will destroy our future if we sign a 29 year old to anything more than a one year contract.

Be consistent... just saying.

James Harden is also on the team, soooo.....yeah. There's that
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1298, 1299, 1300 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 1299 of 2680
Jump to: