OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1304, 1305, 1306 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Ennis or Jarrett Jack as our backup PG.

Not sure why you keep repeating it. There is a long list of possible FAs but you choose to deliberately cut it down to Ennis or Jack. How about Burke, or the countless other guys who would join a contender?

And based on the recent and immediate contributions from late draft picks like JC, Nance, Hart, Kuz, I think you're discounting the possibilities of finding a cheaper and more team-minded replacement with the Cavs or Denver pick.

We don't need an exact IT replica. The backup PG is open to many iterations.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
It's funny how some here think almost 33 year old Chris Paul is made out of vibranium and just turned 29 IT is about to liquefy like a mummy. And no I am not saying IT is better than Paul... I'm only noting that you all think LeBron wants to go to Houston like CP3 is going to last forever and we will destroy our future if we sign a 29 year old to anything more than a one year contract.

Be consistent... just saying.

One of these two players had major hip surgery and may have a degenerative hip condition. That player is currently a shadow of his peak form with no guarantee he’ll ever get back to what he was.

And what was he ? A guy who had one amazing year in a system with the right personnel to build around him to maximize his strengths and minimize his weaknesses. The rest of his career outside of Boston has been nothing special, as has been the case with a number of players once they are no longer playing in Stevens’ system.

The other player is a future HOF PG generally regarded as top 5 all time at his position, who has been a perennial All Star, made numerous All NBA teams, and has been first team on the all defensive team 6 times.

The second player has had a number of minor injuries over the years, but nothing resembling major hip surgery. Also- his game is not solely dependent on athleticism, whereas the first player’s game is.

Every GM in the NBA would choose player #2 over player #1 despite the age difference.

Let’s state the true facts and not just push a slanted agenda. Just saying.

PS- I don’t know who’s saying CP is indestructible- he’s got a long history of minor injuries, but you can be sure the Rockets would only trade him for a handful of players in the NBA, as he produces at a very high level on both ends of the court and is a perfect fit for their team. They will not hesitate to give him a big $$$ deal this summer.

No one is giving IT that type of deal.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Not sure why you keep repeating it. There is a long list of possible FAs but you choose to deliberately cut it down to Ennis or Jack. How about Burke, or the countless other guys who would join a contender?

And based on the recent and immediate contributions from late draft picks like JC, Nance, Hart, Kuz, I think you're discounting the possibilities of finding a cheaper and more team-minded replacement with the Cavs or Denver pick.

Jarrett is trash.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

No way Ennis is back next year, I much rather have Farmar then Ennis.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Jarrett is trash.

And I even put a list of nearly a dozen current players who would qualify. Add another half dozen possibilities with our draft picks.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

If you want to go reprint your list... go ahead... I'm trying not to draw you in specifically... if you want me to post names like Burke/Chalmers/DRose/Sessions... all the names we all have gone through repeatedly throughout this thread, I can. I just listed every potential point guard available only yesterday... and almost all would require assets in return or were garbage.
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

Jesusdelonla wrote:
IT is not coming back to be a backup to Lonzo

Even if he was, how do you fit him and Randle into multi year deals, and still chase 2 max fa's? Whether we like it or not, they are going to chase two max guys until they have to pay Ingram.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject:

I could see Farmar back with the Lakers next year especially if he doesn’t have any hard feelings toward the Organization
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
It's funny how some here think almost 33 year old Chris Paul is made out of vibranium and just turned 29 IT is about to liquefy like a mummy. And no I am not saying IT is better than Paul... I'm only noting that you all think LeBron wants to go to Houston like CP3 is going to last forever and we will destroy our future if we sign a 29 year old to anything more than a one year contract.

Be consistent... just saying.

One of these two players had major hip surgery and may have a degenerative hip condition. That player is currently a shadow of his peak form with no guarantee he’ll ever get back to what he was.

And what was he ? A guy who had one amazing year in a system with the right personnel to build around him to maximize his strengths and minimize his weaknesses. The rest of his career outside of Boston has been nothing special, as has been the case with a number of players once they are no longer playing in Stevens’ system.

The other player is a future HOF PG generally regarded as top 5 all time at his position, who has been a perennial All Star, made numerous All NBA teams, and has been first team on the all defensive team 6 times.

The second player has had a number of minor injuries over the years, but nothing resembling major hip surgery. Also- his game is not solely dependent on athleticism, whereas the first player’s game is.

Every GM in the NBA would choose player #2 over player #1 despite the age difference.

Let’s state the true facts and not just push a slanted agenda. Just saying.

PS- I don’t know who’s saying CP is indestructible- he’s got a long history of minor injuries, but you can be sure the Rockets would only trade him for a handful of players in the NBA, as he produces at a very high level on both ends of the court and is a perfect fit for their team. They will not hesitate to give him a big $$$ deal this summer.

No one is giving IT that type of deal.

I just finished saying that I want him for... a... BACKUP... point guard... not a first option. IT's lifetime TS is 58%... far better than almost anyone on our team... he didn't have a fluke season... he had two all star seasons and was consistently good in Sacramento and Phoenix as well. He's no CP3, but a good player.

We are not choosing between the two... they have no relationship to each other. My point only was that some who ignore CP3's age... are obsessed with IT's age. End of comparison.

And who is the player on our team who is capable of scoring 53 in a playoff setting by the way? Didn't see your answer.
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Why does the back up point guard, have to be a point guard? Why couldn't it be a wing like Ingram? What's wrong with an Ingram, Hart, vet min SF, being part of your second unit?
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
IT is not coming back to be a backup to Lonzo

He literally just said he would consider it. I'm sure he doesn't want to do it... but he said he would.

i trust what he said to a reporter who wrote an article for him then what he said in a fan Q&A

The Lakers beat reporter covered it in the Times

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-report-20180320-story.html
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Wildchild027 wrote:
Why does the back up point guard, have to be a point guard? Why couldn't it be a wing like Ingram? What's wrong with an Ingram, Hart, vet min SF, being part of your second unit?

B/c what other position can IT play?
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Wildchild027 wrote:

If Lonzo starts shooting 40%... I'm happy with Point Ingram as the backup.

If LBJ signs... I'm happy with Lonzo/LBJ/Ingram running point.

If no LBJ... I think we need IT until two of our draft picks/Caruso or Lonzo prove they can play playoff basketball.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

I wouldn’t mind bringing in Ray Felton, he has had a good season in OKC.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject:

This assumes also that Lonzo won't make a big leap next year. I mean look at BI from year 1 to 2. I could see Lonzo take a huge leap too.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject:

In essence just cause we can bring back IT doesn’t necessarily mean we don’t need a back up PG, cause IT would be playing the super 6th man role so he’s basically back to cover up Lonzo, you would still need a back up PG or someone who can come off the bench and give the 2nd unit some momentum
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Here's how it goes

If IT is willing to be a Super 6th man backup to Lonzo. He'll likely be brought back.

If he tries to leverage us and constantly push to be a starter, he'll be gone.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Here's how it goes

If IT is willing to be a Super 6th man backup to Lonzo. He'll likely be brought back.

That’s how I see it, maybe he wants to be apart of a winning team with the “Lakers” instead of playing for PT and money, I mean he’s gonna be 30 so I think winning a title is his goal which is why he might comeback in a discount if we have a super team
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Here's how it goes

Well. He went from:

1. I'm not a 6th man to

2. OK, maybe I can be one...to

3. Let's see what he says in 2-3 more days.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:

My point only was that some who ignore CP3's age... are obsessed with IT's age. End of comparison.

That's because CP3 has the type of game where he can still be effective when older, and IT doesn't. Plus the fact that he's already had a major injury.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
MJST wrote:
Here's how it goes

That’s how I see it, maybe he wants to be apart of a winning team with the “Lakers” instead of playing for PT and money, I mean he’s gonna be 30 so I think winning a title is his goal which is why he might comeback in a discount if we have a super team

If LBJ does come then IT is absolutely not coming back. If PG comes alone there's a chance IT comes back maybe on a 2 year deal with a team option.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
MJST wrote:
Here's how it goes

Well. He went from:

1. I'm not a 6th man to

I think his play since the "I ain't no 6th man" which means "I am a 6th man" in grammatical terms...

I think he or his agent are realizing their egos are gonna cost him a lot of money. So he makes it sound like it's just his competitive nature "I want to be MVP, I want to be an all-star again.. I want to be etc etc"

his goals are very ME ME ME oriented which makes him sound like a very back of the jersey guy.

That is gonna cost him money. He may have realized the Lakers are probably gonna be the only team that could afford to pay him a lot on a 1+1 deal because of his cap hold, so he shut his mouth.

Now it's up to him to go out and play and prove he can be a Super 6th man going forward that other teams would actually want to spend on. Cause this "starter" stuff, is over outside of teams going nowhere.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Here's how it goes

based on? What's the deal with you always calling it a "super" 6th man? How does that differ from just a 6th man? I would invest in KCP and/or Brook before I would Thomas.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
MJST wrote:
Here's how it goes

If LBJ does come then IT is absolutely not coming back. If PG comes alone there's a chance IT comes back maybe on a 2 year deal with a team option.

You can create a super team with IT on the team even without LeBron, there is still a possibility that quite a few superstars like Walker and Leonard will be available for the FO to pursue.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
MJST wrote:
Here's how it goes

Well. He went from:

1. I'm not a 6th man to

I think his play since the "I ain't no 6th man" which means "I am a 6th man" in grammatical terms...

I think he or his agent are realizing their egos are gonna cost him a lot of money. So he makes it sound like it's just his competitive nature "I want to be MVP, I want to be an all-star again.. I want to be etc etc"

his goals are very ME ME ME oriented which makes him sound like a very back of the jersey guy.

That is gonna cost him money. He may have realized the Lakers are probably gonna be the only team that could afford to pay him a lot on a 1+1 deal because of his cap hold, so he shut his mouth.

Now it's up to him to go out and play and prove he can be a Super 6th man going forward that other teams would actually want to spend on. Cause this "starter" stuff, is over outside of teams going nowhere.

This is precisely why I could only agree to 1 year deal with him. Needs to show me some consistency in his mindset (and health).
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1304, 1305, 1306 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 1305 of 2680
Jump to: