OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1480, 1481, 1482 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject:

JPaulK0n wrote:
Quote:
The Los Angeles Lakers plan to aggressively pursue Miami Heat center Hassan Whiteside when NBA free agency starts, according to league sources.

Quote:
Hassan Whiteside won’t meet with the Lakers. He’ll hold three meetings – with the Heat, Mavericks and Blazers – in New York.

From 2 offseasons ago.

Thank you for finding that for me Boss

Whiteside thought he was too good for the Lakers, he wanted Dallas or the Heat. Now he is looking like a dude that should be cut. Hahahajajajjajajaja
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Lakers talk, they always talk about off season moves for the Lakers which is hosted by Allen Silwa, and also afternoon talk with Ireland and Mason, I remember clearly that radio hosts and fans were trying to find what if we can sign Whiteside but like I mentioned he didn’t care about the pitch meeting.

can't comment on Ireland and Mason....but I have listened to Allen Silwa, and in my opinion he knows nothing about what is going on in El Segundo....and his callers are often hilariously uninformed about the CBA, the cap and other basketball related topics.

Allen Silwa definitely knows things in the Lakers basketball world, he goes to Laker games and has access to speak with players and the GM... but it doesn’t matter I just wanted to point out that Whiteside seemed like a hot topic around the local radio.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
adkindo wrote:

sure, when intelligent trusted voices with a record are on the radio, which is rare. All podcasts are not created equal...i can you give you my playlist if you would like.

always share the wealth, Adkindo

ill listen, but @ 2x speed

Sam Vecenie - Game Theory, Laker Film Room, Zach Lowe - The Lowe Post (depending on guest), ESPN Hoop Collective (Thursday episodes with Windhorst, MacMahon, etc.), Tim Bontemps - Posting Up (depending on guest), The Stepien, The Woj Pod (depending on guest), Howard Beck - The Full 48 (depending on guest)....also, I find the Kamenetzky Brothers podcast entertaining.

If I could do 2x, I would....but I usually can only listen on about 1.4x.

Last edited by adkindo on Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
No point right now to trade for Kawhi UNLESS.....

Unless you think you're a championship contender that year there's no reason to trade BI for Kawhi imo. Other than impatience. But the result may not come as quick, in fact by the time the result came you could have developed BI and Kuzma those 2-3 seasons.

By the time our guys are ready in 2 or so seasons we could be talking about Kuzma and BI not in the same ways as we talk about Kawhi but they'll definitely be top tier at their positions.

Randle, Ingram and Kuzma all have the potential to be top players at their positions, at least in the top 5 of each at their peaks. I do see Kuzma as a starting 3 going forward and I think if he continues to build on the season he had, particularly how he closed it at the 3, he could wind up being top 8 or higher at that position in his 2nd year.

The Top 6 Small Forwards in the NBA

Kevin Durant
Kawhi Leonard
LeBron James
Giannis Antentekoumpo
Paul George
Gordon Hayward

After that imo it's up for grabs(I'm considering Ben Simmons a point guard). When it comes down to it, a lot of people had Otto Porter pegged for that top 7-8 Small Forward spot, but I think both Ingram AND Kuzma arguably outplayed him at the 3 this season. So there's that.

Even if it's disagreed, the fact Ingram is in that discussion in his 2nd season and Kuzma is in it at the end of his 1st season. You don't wanna mess that up (though I think I'd still like to see Ingram played at the 1/2 combo like when he played point guard and you could put Lonzo as the other 1/2 combo to trade ball handling duties with so they both get their off ball opportunities).

Anyway, Kawhi is the kind of deal you make if you think you're contending THAT VERY season, otherwise what was the point?

I'd rather build what we have, and when we're actually realistically at the point where we'd be "one move away" from being a Finals contender is when you start making those moves. But until then you build with what you've got and continue to strengthen the weaker positions around the team.

The weakest positions on the Lakers right now is starting 2(unless we're playing Ingram there) and center. Those are what we should be looking at in free agency imo.

Besides, I think the Kawhi talk is ESPN "making the news" instead of actually reporting it. Which they've made a habit of as of late, trying to dissect every flipping thing Popovich says.

If Popovich said "Well I'm emotionally hurt, but I'll make the game tonight because that comes with the job." that ESPN would run through 5 shows talking about "WAS HE TAKING A SHOT AT KAWHI!?!?!?"

1) ESPN isn't the original source of this Kawhi news. Sporting News is.

2) What you're essentially arguing is that the only sensible way for the Lakers to build a contender is to make every single last one of the dominoes line up at once, which is absurd. But that absurd argument aside, you could at least attempt to meaningfully engage with those advocating for a Kawhi trade by acknowledging that the expectation is for the FO to proceed with either the two max plan (financial constraints aside) or signing at least one other max player to pair with Kawhi.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
adkindo wrote:

sure, when intelligent trusted voices with a record are on the radio, which is rare. All podcasts are not created equal...i can you give you my playlist if you would like.

always share the wealth, Adkindo

ill listen, but @ 2x speed

Sam Vecenie - Game Theory, Laker Film Room, Zach Lowe - The Lowe Post (depending on guest), ESPN Hoop Collective (Thursday episodes with Windhorst, MacMahon, etc.), Tim Bontemps - Posting Up (depending on guest), The Stepien, The Woj Pod (depending on guest), Howard Beck - The Full 48 (depending on guest)....also, I find the Kamenetzky Brothers podcast entertaining.

If I could do 2x, I would....but I usually can only listen on about 1.4x.

thanks Brother, ill start with Sam and then onto Tim. rest we are same

rachel Nichols taught me how to go 2x
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject:

JPaulK0n wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
It's zero chance of happening and probably not possible to happen at all financially, but thought what if the Warriors are able to convince DeMarcus Cousins to sign a 1 year prove it deal with a chance to win a ring, while able to do a sign and trade based around Iggy & Livingston to cut some of that payroll and have a big 5 of Curry, Klay, Durant, Draymond, & Cousins.

A sign-and-trade of Cousins to the Warriors for Iggy and Livingston would work financially, as the two current Warriors combine to make about $24.3MM next season. So Cousins could get something like $25-30MM on a 1-year deal, if that's what you were thinking.

As for the Pels, it's similar to the Otto Porter idea, in that they would help their depth while using Cousins in a sign-and-trade. But in this case, they would be presumably strengthening a conference rival, although perhaps they would think that Cousins won't be the same and that GS was weakening their depth. Who knows.

Oh, and adkindo, to answer your question, I still think Cousins can get $30MM a year, although probably not for 5 years now. My best guess is that his market value will be $25-30MM a year for 3-4 guaranteed years. I thought he'd get a full max from somebody for sure a few months ago, and maybe he still will, but I'm hedging on that now just a bit.

If I'm Cousins, I would jump on that deal ASAP. He would add a ring to his career more than likely with probably the greatest starting 5 assembled and could look to get paid from another team the season after. But, not sure if the Warriors would do that, but they are always looking to add more stars and ways to improve the team. But, would probably leave the team in a weird place with Draymond & Klay being free agents in 2019 along with Cousins hypothetically.

Every NBA team would love if Cousins joined the Warriors. He would make them significantly worse.
JPaulK0n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
Quote:
Whiteside: “Coach wants me to just be in a corner and set picks.”

To think the Lakers couldn't even get a meeting with Whiteside in that summer of 2016. Now he's gonna be traded this offseason probably, ideally seems like Wizards and Bucks would make sense.

Why would we? We had no more Kobe, were a rebuilding team looking like we'd be bottom 3 again while kids developed, and Whiteside was still under the impression they'd have Wade, AND they were already a playoff team.

The only reason we even got meetings with max players from 2012 till Kobe retired was because we still had Kobe on the roster and he was still able to evoke a "what if" in their minds out of their respect for him.

Oh most definitely, just hated during the last 3 seasons of Kobe's career post achilles and that annoying narrative that he was killing the Lakers and that he was the reason why nobody wants to come to the Lakers, etc. I remember that supposedly Jim Buss was waiting for Kobe to leave, and the Jim Buss sources blaming Kobe for the Lakers struggles and able to hide behind the Kobe farewell tour, while that 2 year 48 contract was attributed to Jeanie's idea. Thankfully we don't have to worry about that family struggle anymore so far. Kupchak & Jim had their chance of finally spending in free agency without that Kobe contract and failed badly.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
Here is what I believe:

The Lakers want to keep their young core together and just add to it. Signing Lebron and PG are their first choice. That way they can keep their core and add 2 pieces that would make them instant title contenders.

If they sign 1 of the 2, PG or Lebron, they make an offer for Kawhi. They don't offer too much because they feel that they can get him in 2019. This is a similar situation to the PG scenario last season. I think they feel that with either PG or Lebron( more likely PG because, I don't think Lebron comes without another star player) plus this young core wouldn't be enough to entice him to come next summer.

If they fail to sign either of them, they will go hard after Kawhi. Trading for him would require giving up a lot of assets that i'm not sure the front office want to do. So unless they whiff on signing PG or Lebron, I'm not sure they go all in and give up a Kuzma and Ingram.

I think if they sign Lebron and PG-13, they will go even harder for Kawhi....it will be all about win now.....Kawhi is win now.....Ingram and Kuzma is hopefully win tomorrow.

and that would be totally understandable..... if you get the best player in the NBA, and then another top 5-7, and then another top 15, you do it.

I would think the dream scenario would be sign trade Deng +25 + 2019 Chicago 2nd for cap space, then sign LeBron, PG, and then try and work a S&T with Randle, Ingram, 2020 1st for Kawhi. Sign Brook the the exception:

Lopez
LeBron/Kuzma
George
Kawahi/Hart
Lonzo

However, so many things have to fall into place for that to happen that it feels impossible... And since Randle is a FA, we'd have to wait until July 1st to even discuss a sign n trade option for Kawhi.

Plan A: LeBron + PG + Randle (opens up ability to trade young players if need be)
Plan B: LeBron + PG (no Randle)
Plac C: George + Randle + IT + Brook (on one year deals) until Kawhi in 2019
Plan D: Randle + IT + Brook + shooters everywhere and wait for 2019
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
Here is what I believe:

The Lakers want to keep their young core together and just add to it. Signing Lebron and PG are their first choice. That way they can keep their core and add 2 pieces that would make them instant title contenders.

If they sign 1 of the 2, PG or Lebron, they make an offer for Kawhi. They don't offer too much because they feel that they can get him in 2019. This is a similar situation to the PG scenario last season. I think they feel that with either PG or Lebron( more likely PG because, I don't think Lebron comes without another star player) plus this young core wouldn't be enough to entice him to come next summer.

If they fail to sign either of them, they will go hard after Kawhi. Trading for him would require giving up a lot of assets that i'm not sure the front office want to do. So unless they whiff on signing PG or Lebron, I'm not sure they go all in and give up a Kuzma and Ingram.

I think if they sign Lebron and PG-13, they will go even harder for Kawhi....it will be all about win now.....Kawhi is win now.....Ingram and Kuzma is hopefully win tomorrow.

I completely disagree. You put Lebron and PG, with Ingram, Ball, Kuzma, Hart and a resigned Randle that is a win RIGHT NOW team.

I believe if the Lakers sign Lebron and PG, Randle would except his qualifying offer and get his money next summer, just to be apart of this soon to be Juggernaut. I also believe IT would and Brook would be looking to take a under market deal to stay. Not sure how that would shake out but, if not, other ring chasing vets would be willing to sign on for under the market deals.

If we got Lebron and PG, Randle likely goes in a sign and trade deal for Kawhi.
Killer_Z
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Making a play for KL is tempting, but should not be our Plan A.

Trading away our young pieces hurts for the obvious reason, but also because we need cheap pieces (that still come with talent) as part of the two-max player plan. If we trade away Ingram, Kuz, Ball and/or Hart, we will be forced to utilize the Tyler Ennis type players to fill out our roster.

Signing LBJ and/or George is definitely the way to go. If we only snag one, or even none, we can look to the 2019 UFA class that includes KL.
greek laker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject:

2 questions need to be answered.
1) Are we certain about Kawhis health?
2) Are we certain that we can sign him longterm?
If it s yes to both questions, then you try to keep one of
BI or Kuz, but if its necessary,you give them both.
Kawhi gan get to to top 4 of the west by himself alone.
If we are talking about a longterm george and 2 years at least
of lebron, you do it, you take at least 5 years of serious contention
and that is, in five years from now , lets see if we are alive first
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
I completely disagree. You put Lebron and PG, with Ingram, Ball, Kuzma, Hart and a resigned Randle that is a win RIGHT NOW team.

That team would not be favored against GSW or Houston. It likely would not be favored against Boston with Irving and Hayward either. Probably a couple other teams that would be projected with similar wins/odds. Lebron and PG are not currently destroying teams in the playoffs, and those other guys are setting on their couches.
greek laker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject:

at any circumstance, first think is to sign with paul george.
then we are calm,even if we just keep young core together,
future is great
greek laker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:

That team would not be favored against GSW or Houston. It likely would not be favored against Boston with Irving and Hayward either. Probably a couple other teams that would be projected with similar wins/odds. Lebron and PG are not currently destroying teams in the playoffs, and those other guys are setting on their couches.

it would be toe to toe with these teams.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject:

greek laker wrote:
future is great

Lebron and Kawhi are Top 5 Superstars....but the 1st thing is to sign a player that was an All Star alternative?
greek laker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
greek laker wrote:
future is great

Lebron and Kawhi are Top 5 Superstars....but the 1st thing is to sign a player that was an All Star alternative?

yes, its the easy sign.lbj always needs at least another star and for kawhi
you have to trade.other than that, we are at the same boat about
the value of these players
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject:

greek laker wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:

no it wouldn't....you can claim it would....you can pretend it would...but Lebron may not even get Cleveland past Indiana....PG is a nice player that is capable of having big games, but does not do it nightly....and a 2nd Year Lonzo & Kuzma and 3rd Year Ingram is not better than what those guys currently have around them.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
greek laker wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:

no it wouldn't....you can claim it would....you can pretend it would...but Lebron may not even get Cleveland past Indiana....PG is a nice player that is capable of having big games, but does not do it nightly....and a 2nd Year Lonzo & Kuzma and 3rd Year Ingram is not better than what those guys currently have around them.

why can't he claim they can but you can claim they can't??
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
greek laker wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:

why can't he claim they can but you can claim they can't??

think you misunderstood with what I wrote....I explicitly stated that he or anyone could claim they can. Btw, do you have an opinion to add to the discussion? Not sure why you interjected.
greek laker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject:

lebron and george will be super competitive against harden and paul or curry and durant.i dont say its a sure win but they d be close. lebron stole
a title with irving and jr smith against warriors, there is no need for further
discussion. i m starting to believe that maginka will get us lebron, george and kawhi and we will be thinking " is this team capable of winning against harden
and capela?".oh wait, we are already thinking about that.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject:

greek laker wrote:
lebron and george will be super competitive against harden and paul or curry and durant.i dont say its a sure win but they d be close. lebron stole
a title with irving and jr smith against warriors, there is no need for further
discussion. i m starting to believe that maginka will get us lebron, george and kawhi and we will be thinking " is this team capable of winning against harden
and capela?".oh wait, we are already thinking about that.

Lebron and Kawhi puts us in the tier or range as GSW & Houston....Lebron, Kawhi and Paul George definitely puts us on their level. There is no evidence that PG, who is probably at best a top 20ish player currently, brings us to that level. GSW has 4 All Stars.....3-4 All NBA Players. Houston has two All NBA Superstars surrounded by a deep and experienced cast of role players.
greek laker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject:

on the other hand we are certain that a team with the player that helped lbj to beat warriors, with gordon hayward and a couple of nice young players or a team with two great young players and good shooters are ready to concur the
galaxy.but a team with lbj,kawhi ,george and at least one great young player
cant beat harden or durant.ok, we will wait their psyshical death to have a chance
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject:

LeBron, PG, Randle, Lonzo, Kuzma, Hart, Ingram, Lopez can certainly compete with any team. That is all you can ask for.

I think we would have the best defensive team in the league. Main weakness would be average shooting and that is largely dependent on how much Zo, Ingram improve. I'm assuming Randle stays the same. Hart, Kuz, and PG are already legit threats from deep.

NBA is all about chemistry and complimentary parts.

Look at the Pelicans with Mirotic next to Davis instead of Cousins. They look much more cohesive.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
LeBron, PG, Randle, Lonzo, Kuzma, Hart, Ingram, Lopez can certainly compete with any team. That is all you can ask for.

I think we would have the best defensive team in the league. Main weakness would be average shooting and that is largely dependent on how much Zo, Ingram improve. I'm assuming Randle stays the same. Hart, Kuz, and PG are already legit threats from deep.

Look at the Pelicans with Mirotic next to Davis instead of Cousins. They look much more cohesive.

I think it would take near unrealistic improvements from Ball and for PG to be able to play like he did two seasons ago for that roster to be truly competitive with GSW and Houston in a playoff series. Lebron is great, but I do not think he can carry the load he did 3 or 4 year ago every night....PG is in the 3rd year of a decline....Ball was just not very impactful on offense this season. On paper, it just does not add up immediately.
greek laker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:

this team is actually my summer dream. Then there will be always a non satisfied star or free agent, i can think of lillard, davis, giannis, beal and many others, its not so necessary to transform a lottery team to heavy championship in one summer.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1480, 1481, 1482 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 1481 of 2680
Jump to: