OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1481, 1482, 1483 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
greek laker wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
I completely disagree. You put Lebron and PG, with Ingram, Ball, Kuzma, Hart and a resigned Randle that is a win RIGHT NOW team.

That team would not be favored against GSW or Houston. It likely would not be favored against Boston with Irving and Hayward either. Probably a couple other teams that would be projected with similar wins/odds. Lebron and PG are not currently destroying teams in the playoffs, and those other guys are setting on their couches.

it would be toe to toe with these teams.

no it wouldn't....you can claim it would....you can pretend it would...but Lebron may not even get Cleveland past Indiana....PG is a nice player that is capable of having big games, but does not do it nightly....and a 2nd Year Lonzo & Kuzma and 3rd Year Ingram is not better than what those guys currently have around them.

why can't he claim they can but you can claim they can't??

Lebron just put up 40+ points in the playoffs. At the very least, he can still score. If a player is capable of that kind of offensive production, there's always a chance.

Also with respect to GSW and Houston, we won't know what their health situation is. chris paul isn't exactly the dictionary definition of durable. curry has his injuries. We might not be able to win against a full strength Houston or GSW on paper, but i think we can give then a run for their money with Lebron and PG13. Who's to say we won't win, after an 82 game regular season when the injuries start to pile up.

Last edited by Vanquish on Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
JPaulK0n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject:

FYI here is cyberx on the Kawhi situation and according to cyberx, on April 2nd said that the Lakers plan is to sign Bron/PG & trade for Kawhi:
http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/sources-lakers-plan-this-summer-trade-for-kawhi-sign-bron-pg.289511/
Quote:
The thing is this. They planned to sign him to a super max deal... SA has never given that kind of money out before. Now, with the injuries and everything else that has happened, I dont think even want to shell out that type of money! So now, you are screwed. You lose leverage,,, The guy has one year left on his deal! His value is high, but he pretty much missed the whole season. SA is screwed. People around the league are even questioning if POP is going to coach next year with what has happened. So many things going on for them this summer.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
LeBron, PG, Randle, Lonzo, Kuzma, Hart, Ingram, Lopez can certainly compete with any team. That is all you can ask for.

I think we would have the best defensive team in the league. Main weakness would be average shooting and that is largely dependent on how much Zo, Ingram improve. I'm assuming Randle stays the same. Hart, Kuz, and PG are already legit threats from deep.

NBA is all about chemistry and complimentary parts.

Look at the Pelicans with Mirotic next to Davis instead of Cousins. They look much more cohesive.

I think it would take near unrealistic improvements from Ball and for PG to be able to play like he did two seasons ago for that roster to be truly competitive with GSW and Houston in a playoff series. Lebron is great, but I do not think he can carry the load he did 3 or 4 year ago every night....PG is in the 3rd year of a decline....Ball was just not very impactful on offense this season. On paper, it just does not add up immediately.

it's not simply adding in Lebron and PG's production...those guys average about 40 shots a game combined....that is 40 shots that will be coming from Ingram, Kuz, Ball, Randle's current production....even if you take out KCP....those other guys will be putting up less numbers on offense.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject:

Vanquish wrote:
Lebron just put up 40+ points in the playoffs. At the very least, he can still score. If a player is capable of that kind of offensive production, there's always a chance.

yet Cleveland is a missed 3 pointer from Oladipo away from being down 2 games to zero against a #5 seed in the East....going on the road in the series.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject:

What is happening in New Orleans has me nervous that this front office will make the terrible mistake of signing Cousins to prove that their 2018 plan worked.

What I could see happenings is NO's playing hard-ball with Cousins (probably have doubts about resigning him) and Cousins trying to use the Lakers for leverage and then ultimately NO's decides to go in another direction.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Vanquish wrote:

yet Cleveland is a missed 3 pointer from Oladipo away from being down 2 games to zero against a #5 seed in the East....going on the road in the series.

Cleveland is a dismal defensive team. That is the problem. Lakers are going to be one of the top defenses in the league next year.

You are underestimating the young core.

It is very simple, our team this year despite all of its weaknesses were competitive and beat some of the best teams in the league. You add some veteran All-Star experience to that and they are contenders.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Vanquish wrote:

During the entire 3 peat run, the lakers were always a couple of missed shots from being out of the playoffs. Game 7 against the blazers during championship no 1, Horry 3 against Sac during run no 3. Laker teams repeatedly coming back from 20 points down against Spurs, with Kobe's 4th quarter heroics.

Lakers were always a couple of shots away from losing but yet consistently came up top in those kinds of situations for 3 years straight because they had the superstar personnel plus role players that fit. Superstars like Kobe and Lebron just find ways to win, even when their teams are dangerously close to losing. I would not count out any team with Lebron on it, that's why I won't count out ours if we get Lebron.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject:

Man, Rondo might have been a good pickup.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:

if we had made the playoffs.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
epak wrote:

if we had made the playoffs.

We would have totally just pulled a Brewer and cut him before the playoffs so he could join a playoff team
DangeRuss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject:

Wildchild027 wrote:
DangeRuss wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
defense wrote:
kikanga wrote:
If don't think we can fit contracts for Kawhi, PG13, and Lebron with Deng's 18 mill on the payroll.

Our best assets are Lonzo, Ingram, Randle, and Kuzma. It's gonna be painful if we want to make room for a big 3. We might have to lose 3 our of our 4 best assets.

I don't see how losing 3 of those 4 is a problem in order to put together a team with Lebron, George and Leonard. Magic would have to be crazy to turn that down and fans would have to be brain dead to not love that trio. I would consider it for only 2 of them.

Be nice to have at least a couple home grown Lakers. Would it really be that satisfying watching LeBron/Kawhi/PG hoist a LOB trophy?

LeBron: "it sure feels great winning a title for...[cranes head to read jersey name] the Lakers!"

PG: "I've played for a lot of fans, but the best fans in the world are in [checks GPS on phone] Los Angeles!"

Kawhi: Thanks clipper fans!

I guess it's more emotionally satisfying than just buying a trophy outright, but not my much.

I agree. I’ll take PG, and Kawhi. But lebron is too much of a mercenary for my taste. PG and Kawhi with our young guys as the cast will contend without it feeling too cheap

This is a prime example of a guy who wants to cheer for players he likes. I'm so glad this is just sports to me. LeBron, Kawhi, George, just win. The need to feel like you went on the same journey as the players is funny to me.

No crap I want to cheer for players I like, that’s what makes it even more of an emotional investment when they win. What I find funny is people judging others for their fandom, very immature. I care about the journey just as much as the finish line. I enjoy cheering on players I like for 82 games and that is more satisfying to me than a cheap feeing, bought ring behind a renowned mercenary who represents everything I don’t like in sports. the competitive spirit of beat him don’t join him means a lot to me, if you find that funny then so be it.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject:

well said dangeruss.

I have a different reason for not wanting lebron though. I just find the way he plays basketball to be ugly. ramming into other players on most plays or pass it off to the people that have to stand around waiting is not something I want to watch for 82+ games
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject:

DangeRuss wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
DangeRuss wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
defense wrote:
kikanga wrote:
If don't think we can fit contracts for Kawhi, PG13, and Lebron with Deng's 18 mill on the payroll.

Our best assets are Lonzo, Ingram, Randle, and Kuzma. It's gonna be painful if we want to make room for a big 3. We might have to lose 3 our of our 4 best assets.

I don't see how losing 3 of those 4 is a problem in order to put together a team with Lebron, George and Leonard. Magic would have to be crazy to turn that down and fans would have to be brain dead to not love that trio. I would consider it for only 2 of them.

Be nice to have at least a couple home grown Lakers. Would it really be that satisfying watching LeBron/Kawhi/PG hoist a LOB trophy?

LeBron: "it sure feels great winning a title for...[cranes head to read jersey name] the Lakers!"

PG: "I've played for a lot of fans, but the best fans in the world are in [checks GPS on phone] Los Angeles!"

I guess it's more emotionally satisfying than just buying a trophy outright, but not my much.

I agree. I’ll take PG, and Kawhi. But lebron is too much of a mercenary for my taste. PG and Kawhi with our young guys as the cast will contend without it feeling too cheap

This is a prime example of a guy who wants to cheer for players he likes. I'm so glad this is just sports to me. LeBron, Kawhi, George, just win. The need to feel like you went on the same journey as the players is funny to me.

No crap I want to cheer for players I like, that’s what makes it even more of an emotional investment when they win. What I find funny is people judging others for their fandom, very immature. I care about the journey just as much as the finish line. I enjoy cheering on players I like for 82 games and that is more satisfying to me than a cheap feeing, bought ring behind a renowned mercenary who represents everything I don’t like in sports. the competitive spirit of beat him don’t join him means a lot to me, if you find that funny then so be it.

This. Wildchild. If this is just Sports to you then what you even doing here? Lol.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
What is happening in New Orleans has me nervous that this front office will make the terrible mistake of signing Cousins to prove that their 2018 plan worked.

What I could see happenings is NO's playing hard-ball with Cousins (probably have doubts about resigning him) and Cousins trying to use the Lakers for leverage and then ultimately NO's decides to go in another direction.

"I don't look at July 2018 as the litmus test of success," Pelinka said. "I think that there is a theme, a strategy, that you can see in history that is not going to be just defined by one moment. That will be the next point of time to see what happens, but there is a strong trend of success in our players and how the team is being managed that is going to continue going forward regardless of what specifically happens in July of 2018."

"We are not going to give money away just to say we signed somebody," Johnson said. "We are not going to do that.

MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:

If the Lakers signed Paul George and DeMarcus Cousins and kept Randle and brought back IT on a discount because of his surgery. than yeah, their 2018 plan would have definitely worked. They essentially replace KCP with Paul George and Brook Lopez with DeMarcus Cousins and that wouldn't be a bad off-season at all. Doubt any team would want to match up with us. Too much defense from the 1-4, and Cousins and Randle as a front court, their rebounding and Cousins ability to hit the three, it's a nightmare match up for any and all teams.

Lonzo Ball
Paul George
Brandon Ingram
Julius Randle
DeMarcus Cousins

That's a lovely "problem" to have coming off this season.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject:

Wildchild027 wrote:
DangeRuss wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
defense wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Well congratulations that all that matters is what clothes the players were wearing when they won the title. But yeah, that's me. I think Warriors fans have had a very emotionally satisfying run watching their guys grow up and lead the team to a title. If we go for Lebron/Kawhi/Paul George, our kids will be gone or in the background. The Miami Big 3 had at last had one home grown guy and the percentage of people on this board who snark about their titles is like 90% on here

If we got just Paul George and this team can win a title (even if a few yaers from now), that's the best feeling possible. George didn't win anywhere else, he's born here, so in a way he's like our own. Kawhi would be a little weirder with his whole situation and it's not like he had to come here to win. Seems like his biggest stakes would be wanting to up his next shoe contract.

But Lebron would be weird. He'd be the guy getting the mic first if the Lakers won and it would be all about him winning his 4th, his 3rd on 3 teams and how important is that and does Lebron think he can match/break MJ etc. It would be a Lebron championship first and a Lakers championship second.

Last edited by pjiddy on Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:01 pm; edited 3 times in total
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
I completely disagree. You put Lebron and PG, with Ingram, Ball, Kuzma, Hart and a resigned Randle that is a win RIGHT NOW team.

That team would not be favored against GSW or Houston. It likely would not be favored against Boston with Irving and Hayward either. Probably a couple other teams that would be projected with similar wins/odds. Lebron and PG are not currently destroying teams in the playoffs, and those other guys are setting on their couches.

I'm too lazy to go back pages, but from my understanding Harlemlakerfan gave you a premise that we add Lebron and PG13, and get to keep basically all our guys, Ingram, Lonzo, Kuz and Randle. That is like the best case scenario you can ask for. And you're going on and on about still not being favored. So what do you recommend? What is your alternative to the BEST CASE SCENARIO?
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
well said dangeruss.

I have a different reason for not wanting lebron though. I just find the way he plays basketball to be ugly. ramming into other players on most plays or pass it off to the people that have to stand around waiting is not something I want to watch for 82+ games

That's like a line for line description of Shaq.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:48 pm    Post subject:

Vanquish wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
well said dangeruss.

That's like a line for line description of Shaq.
f

Or Randle.
jankobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject:

The best case scenarion is what was stated by 1 poster... Sign Lebron & PG13... then resign Randle.

Lebron
PG13
Randle
Lonzo
B. Ingram
Kuzma
Hart
Zubac
T.Bryant
A. Ingram
A. Caruso
T. Wear
BLo (Vet Min?)
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:18 am    Post subject:

jankobe wrote:
The best case scenarion is what was stated by 1 poster... Sign Lebron & PG13... then resign Randle.

Lebron
PG13
Randle
Lonzo
B. Ingram
Kuzma
Hart
Zubac
T.Bryant
A. Ingram
A. Caruso
T. Wear
BLo (Vet Min?)

Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:49 am    Post subject:

DangeRuss wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
DangeRuss wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
defense wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Was it a cheap trill to cheer for the team in 2000? You know, the team that traded away three starters? Van Exel, Eddie Jones or Elden Campbell wasn't on that team. Did you cheer less? How was your cheering skills when they hire the mercenary coach, Phil Jackson. Was you outraged when they traded their starting center for a high school kid?

What I find immature are fans who like or dislike someone they don't even know because that person does what's best for their career. And LeBron, Kawhi and George coming together is having a competitive spirit. They are coming together to beat the Warriors. If you have problem with that, than that's a you problem .
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:38 am    Post subject:

Lakesh0wtime wrote:
DangeRuss wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
DangeRuss wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
defense wrote:
kikanga wrote:

This. Wildchild. If this is just Sports to you then what you even doing here? Lol.

Isn't this a Laker's forum? I'm a Laker's fan. I root for WHOMEVER in the Laker's jersey. I don't dislike someone because he played for another team.
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:44 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
DangeRuss wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
defense wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Well congratulations that all that matters is what clothes the players were wearing when they won the title. But yeah, that's me. I think Warriors fans have had a very emotionally satisfying run watching their guys grow up and lead the team to a title. If we go for Lebron/Kawhi/Paul George, our kids will be gone or in the background. The Miami Big 3 had at last had one home grown guy and the percentage of people on this board who snark about their titles is like 90% on here

If we got just Paul George and this team can win a title (even if a few yaers from now), that's the best feeling possible. George didn't win anywhere else, he's born here, so in a way he's like our own. Kawhi would be a little weirder with his whole situation and it's not like he had to come here to win. Seems like his biggest stakes would be wanting to up his next shoe contract.

But Lebron would be weird. He'd be the guy getting the mic first if the Lakers won and it would be all about him winning his 4th, his 3rd on 3 teams and how important is that and does Lebron think he can match/break MJ etc. It would be a Lebron championship first and a Lakers championship second.

Come on man. You really believe that the Rocket's fan are going to feel less jubilation because they only have one homegrown player in their rotation? I think you have to have perspective in professional sports. I agree with you in college football, where a guy has to be with your team for three seasons, but in professional basketball, where a guy can be traded 6 months after being drafted, I disagree.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:46 am    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Vanquish wrote:

Cleveland is a dismal defensive team. That is the problem. Lakers are going to be one of the top defenses in the league next year.

You are underestimating the young core.

It is very simple, our team this year despite all of its weaknesses were competitive and beat some of the best teams in the league. You add some veteran All-Star experience to that and they are contenders.

young talented teams always show flashes of competing with contenders on a Tuesday night....also, Cleveland has yet to allow Indiana to break 100 points....so it's hard to point to their defense as the big issue so far in the playoffs.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1481, 1482, 1483 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 1482 of 2680
Jump to: