OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1497, 1498, 1499 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject:

Vin wrote:
Whats the cap like next year ? Can the Pelicans take a shot at PG next year ?

They are one of the most cap-strapped teams in the league, thanks to Solomon Hill, Ajinca (and deservedly, ADavis & Jrue). They were near Sacramento-levels of cap management and competence until this season when it all worked out.

Put it this way; even if they don't re-sign Boogie, they'll have no cap space. Fortunately, they have his bird rights so they'll be fine. But no-go on PG, Lebron, etc.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Vin wrote:

Not as a free agent; they are capped out. Their only hope to land a high-salaried player would be to execute a sign-and-trade where Cousins ends up somewhere else, and they bring in a similar salaried player to whatever Cousins gets.

Or, of course, they can sign Cousins himself, since they have his Bird rights. But not another free agent like PG.

Last edited by ChickenStu on Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject:

cyborgspider wrote:
Vin wrote:

They are one of the most cap-strapped teams in the league, thanks to Solomon Hill, Ajinca (and deservedly, ADavis & Jrue). They were near Sacramento-levels of cap management and competence until this season when it all worked out.

Put it this way; even if they don't re-sign Boogie, they'll have no cap space. Fortunately, they have his bird rights so they'll be fine. But no-go on PG, Lebron, etc.

Thank you, yeah I just realised that.

I thought the cap would be much higher next season too. That's good for us I guess, cause that could've been a sexy landing spot for PG otherwise.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Vin wrote:
cyborgspider wrote:
Vin wrote:

Thank you, yeah I just realised that.

I thought the cap would be much higher next season too. That's good for us I guess, cause that could've been a sexy landing spot for PG otherwise.

I have a hard time seeing George signing with anyone besides the Lakers or the Thunder. His desire to be a Laker was what got him traded (a desire that strong doesn’t die hard) and he’s developed a bond with Westbrook. If he doesn’t sign with the Lakers it will be because he’s staying in OKC. And if he doesn’t return to OKC it’ll be because he left for the Lakers.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Vin wrote:

Not as a free agent; they are capped out. Their only hope to land a high-salaried player would be to execute a sign-and-trade where Cousins ends up somewhere else, and they bring in a similar salaried player to whatever Cousins gets.

Or, of course, they can sign Cousins himself, since they have his Bird rights. But not another free agent like PG.

Right, thanks.
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject:

Congrats to New Orleans though, I didn't think they'd even make the playoffs with Boogie & Gentry & The Brow and Jrue's injury history. But they're the feel-good story of the West thus far (Pacers in the East if they hold on) and props out to them and their community for believing in themselves and absolutely destroying Portland.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
You guys are ridiculous. Lebron had one unspectacular game and everyone is like "look, he's too old". He played like 40+ minutes for the three playoff games. Last game, he had a godly game so yea, he might be gassed a little. I almost feel sorry for him for having to played so many minutes because his team is complete garbage. Look at Wade playing in the playoffs right now at 36. Lebron will be better than that at 36 (because he is better than Wade at 33). At 36, he would still be better than a lot of the max players out there.

Can't blame the teammates. He forced the organization to sign his friends to ridiculous contracts and now they're sitting on the bench because they're useless. These are the guys he wanted on the team.

Well those guys did help the city win it's first title in forever. $$ well spent, says the fan of a team that hasn't sniffed a Finals in over two decades.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject:

cyborgspider wrote:
They are one of the most cap-strapped teams in the league, thanks to Solomon Hill, Ajinca (and deservedly, ADavis & Jrue).

Crazy to think. If you wrote that just 2 weeks ago, people would've thought you were mad. But boy oh boy, Jrue's showed up BIG this playoffs.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject:

Vin wrote:

They can make room but it is unlikely they will. It is likely that they re-sign Cousins.
George W Buss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
Portland needs to fire both GM and Coach. 0-4 sweep is not acceptable

Niel ashley gave these contracts:
Evan Turner: 70m/4years
Allan Crabbe: $74.8 million/4years
Mo Harkless: 42/4years
Leonard: 41/4years

lucky he got out of crabbe's contract.

They are screwed.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject:

George W Buss wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Portland needs to fire both GM and Coach. 0-4 sweep is not acceptable

Niel ashley gave these contracts:
Evan Turner: 70m/4years
Allan Crabbe: $74.8 million/4years
Mo Harkless: 42/4years
Leonard: 41/4years

lucky he got out of crabbe's contract.

They are screwed.

Harkless contract is movable without adding a lot....Turner is the terrible one left, but in his defense, there were several teams ready to pay Turner over $60 Million that summer
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Turner has dramatically declined.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Vin wrote:

They can make room but it is unlikely they will. It is likely that they re-sign Cousins.

they may not have to max Cousins....Mirotic gives them some leverage with him if no other team is confident enough to pay him big money.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
cyborgspider wrote:
They are one of the most cap-strapped teams in the league, thanks to Solomon Hill, Ajinca (and deservedly, ADavis & Jrue).

Crazy to think. If you wrote that just 2 weeks ago, people would've thought you were mad. But boy oh boy, Jrue's showed up BIG this playoffs.

they probably would have...but probably should not have....Jrue has quietly had one of the best, if not best year of his career. He is one of the many guys that I have been wrong about....thought it was crazy to give him that type of money....not so crazy anymore.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Looks like the Pels are better off without Boogie? I've become a fan of his game lately, but this season has been a big indicator of why it's probably best to not go after him.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
Superstars aren't getting paid enough when you see many scrubs earning 15-18M due to to cap limit. Especially the all time great talents.

It isn't entirely the salary cap that restrains the salaries of the superstars.

The middle class in the players association also is a factor in that situation.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject:

If I'm George, I know resigning with OKC means I'm likely getting Blake Griffin'd. At the very least I figure it's a discussion they have December through February. If I sign a max offer with LA I figure I'm getting at least two years to prove they should keep me for the rest of my career. Feels like a no brainer.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
If I'm George, I know resigning with OKC means I'm likely getting Blake Griffin'd. At the very least I figure it's a discussion they have December through February. If I sign a max offer with LA I figure I'm getting at least two years to prove they should keep me for the rest of my career. Feels like a no brainer.

I don’t think LA will be the only option for him he will have plenty of interest especially if teams clear cap space.
DangeRuss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Playoff P can’t carry OKC on his own, he needs to come here where we play team ball and have a great young cast in place for him.
FanOfFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

I don’t think LA will be the only option for him he will have plenty of interest especially if teams clear cap space.

Sure, except that the Lakers are easily the best fit of any team out there. Number 1, he wanted to be traded to the Lakers. Number 2, the Lakers can pay him as much as anybody but the Thunder. Number 3, he would fit seamlessly into this lineup and on a team that willingly passes the ball around and would designate him the closer right off the bat. He wouldn't even have to work hard to get his shot off or be at the mercy of primary ball-handlers who would ignore him for long stretches.
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

You should listen to Hollywood Hoops podcast by our own emplay, Eric Pincus. Every week they pretty much check-in on the free agent situation and he's made it clear that there AREN'T that many teams that can just clear cap space. If you're not counting BAD teams like Dallas or Atlanta, it's pretty much:

Philly. Lakers (ok, we're bad, but let's make an exception). Pacers.

Every other good team has to go through giant hoops to clear up bad contracts and clear the space. Obviously there will be interest from a ton of teams but clearing cap space is not something that happens out of thin air.

Last edited by cyborgspider on Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject:

PG be like ‘Magic, where do I sign’.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject:

FanOfFour wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

Sure, except that the Lakers are easily the best fit of any team out there. Number 1, he wanted to be traded to the Lakers. Number 2, the Lakers can pay him as much as anybody but the Thunder. Number 3, he would fit seamlessly into this lineup and on a team that willingly passes the ball around and would designate him the closer right off the bat. He wouldn't even have to work hard to get his shot off or be at the mercy of primary ball-handlers who would ignore him for long stretches.

I agree.. I do wonder what PGs role will be if we also get LeBron and Kawhi
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject:

So can we officially start recruiting PG? Do we really have to wait for Game 5? OKC is done, let's start moving.
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
FanOfFour wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

I agree.. I do wonder what PGs role will be if we also get LeBron and Kawhi

Hit open threes all night long. Shut down the 2nd best player on the other team. Think about his speech at the parade.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1497, 1498, 1499 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 1498 of 2680
Jump to: