OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1529, 1530, 1531 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Have your opinions on PG changed one way or another after watching his performance in these playoffs?

27/6/2 on 62% TS%.

Yeah. My opinion went from cant wait to GET HIM OVER HERE NOW!
Do it Mitch!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
If OKC offered WB for any combo of BI/Lonzo/Kuz/Hart/picks/cap space, would you do it?

At this point, I can’t think of many teams in the entire NBA that would trade core pieces to land Russell Westbrook and his Supermax contract. Perhaps Brooklyn or New York, but probably not many
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject:

WB has bad knees too. Before the season started he needed PRP injections.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Boogie is coming off of a major injury and has a history of clashing with headcoaches, what kind of team desperate enough to offer him the max? I wouldn't give him more than $20M/yr with team options. I'd let other more desperate teams outbid me for him. We are only just getting out of the Deng and Moz deals. I don't want Deng and Moz 2.0.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Megaton wrote:
leor_77 wrote:
Have your opinions on PG changed one way or another after watching his performance in these playoffs?

27/6/2 on 62% TS%.

Yeah. My opinion went from cant wait to GET HIM OVER HERE NOW!

Same here my man!!!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

Do it Mitch! wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
If OKC offered WB for any combo of BI/Lonzo/Kuz/Hart/picks/cap space, would you do it?

At this point, I can’t think of many teams in the entire NBA that would trade core pieces to land Russell Westbrook and his Supermax contract. Perhaps Brooklyn or New York, but probably not many

Yeah. The supermax for a player closer to 30 can be a burden.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

Remember that most of us are only discussing this as a contingency plan if LBJ and PG falls through.

I'm still operating under the assumption that Magic and Rob made the trade knowing two FAs were in place.

Why else would we get rid of Nance and Clarkson after already getting rid of DLO?

So most of this should just be fun banter to kill time while waiting for the playoffs to finish and the draft.

LBJ/PG are most likely because of the two trades I feel.

But if one does fall through... we need a backup point guard.

IT checks that box

Then we need a true center whether it's Lopez or Boogie.

We shouldn't be having full blown arguments because probably the two elites are coming.

Some of you all are crazy though... it's like if you can't marry Kate Upton or Katy Perry... you are going to remain celibate for the rest of your lives.

If you don't get your first pick... you have to make the best of what is left.

This is reality.

Meat- The reality that you've never come to grips with is that this isn't a one summer window. The Lakers will play this out to construct the best possible team.

If they get PG this summer but not Lebron, they're not going to then use up their capspace on post-Achilles Boogie.

KL is a FA next summer, and he very much looks like he's leaving SA, and we've heard from numerous sources over the course of months that he wants to play in a major market. That's LA.

They will wait for him. I'm sure Rob and KL's uncle have been talking about this for months.

I've said that I'm fine with signing Kawhi next season for free after we watch him play for a year. I'm only against giving up significant assets to acquire him.

I'm good with PG... signing a one year backup point guard and rim protector and seeing what the core can do.

We were only discussing Boogie as a backup plan if the two max failed.

Would not sign Boogie for more than a year if we knew we had the inside track on Kawhi.

Thanks for clarifying. That makes a lot more sense.

Boogie isn't signing a one year deal, so when you bring him up as a guy to sign, unless you spell it out that it's only for a year, most people will assume you're talking about a multi-year signing.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:

Thanks for clarifying. That makes a lot more sense.

Boogie isn't signing a one year deal, so when you bring him up as a guy to sign, unless you spell it out that it's only for a year, most people will assume you're talking about a multi-year signing.

Yeah, I think most people are in agreement that PG/LBJ/Kawhi are the best to choose... it's mostly that some want to trade the core to have all three... and some want to have two and keep the core intact.

I'm one of those who prefers two agents with the core.

I was mostly playing devil's advocate that it wasn't crazy to target Boogie if those three fell through... especially as we need a stretch five next to Randle if we sign him.

The going rate for a good stretch five seems to be 20 million... so signing Boogie for a 20 million show me contract wouldn't be a bad experiment.

But he seems to like New Orleans so I think all of this is moot anyway.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

Nope.

Same. It's not like anyone thinks George is the key addition that catapults the Lakers into elite status in the NBA. If something like that were to happen he would obviously be central to it, but it wouldn't be because he's a super transcendent player. As good of a player as he is, I think most recognize that he's just outside of that upper echelon of players.

But with that said, he's one of the top two-way players in the league. He's an All-Star. He's definitely good enough to ensure that the Lakers are in the playoff hunt next year. If you add him, you have potentially six guys on your team who are capable of throwing up 20 point scoring games (Lopez, Ingram, Kuzma, Randle, and Thomas being the others). His length and smarts on defense would probably make the Lakers even better on that end. It's pretty incredible how seamlessly he seems to fit with what the Lakers are and what they're building.

And what's arguably the most valuable thing his addition brings is the official end of the rebuild. If you want to attract that ever so important transcendent player that leads you to a championship, George’s presence as the established, veteran star is necessary. In short, his addition would mean the franchise has officially taken one huge step forward in becoming a contender again and isn't that far away from it.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

No. I've grown so tired of that miserable pull up middy in transition.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:

If anything, I'm encouraged.

The Lakers move the ball and don't get guys out of rhythm offensively.

The Lakers basically run the plays tailor made for what PG brings.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:

No, he is the player I thought he was.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

dennisgreen.gif
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

dennisgreen.gif

Good one!
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Hate it but our big off season can be signing PG and getting Whiteside on the cheap..
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Boogie is coming off of a major injury and has a history of clashing with headcoaches, what kind of team desperate enough to offer him the max? I wouldn't give him more than $20M/yr with team options. I'd let other more desperate teams outbid me for him. We are only just getting out of the Deng and Moz deals. I don't want Deng and Moz 2.0.

Amazing after he got out of Sacramento he hasn't been an issue at all.

Also Cousins didn't class with Miller, and the Kings FO responded by firing him when the Kings were losing while Cousins was out.

That's the kind of FO we're dealing with. Then George Karl came in and on day one entertained the idea to the media he'd trade Cousins if a scenario came up to do so on the first day. You're asking for issues at that point.

Case in point why I've always said the best way to get a guy like Cousins is in Free Agency as opposed to in a trade. Because in Free Agency he has the choice, and there is no "I didn't decide to be a part of this" in it.

There's a vision and expectation that would be asked of him by both Magic and Luke, and if he made the choice to be a part of that you're already starting on the right foot. If he didn't, he wouldn't sign, and you then don't have to deal with it. Again, win/win either way.

Omar Little wrote:

There are some posters, like Larry Coon, for whom the sight of a page-long post is, "Ooh, this is gonna be good, I gotta read this". Larry is an example of a guy who is too complete a thought guy for a twitter post.

Then there are other guys, like say, you, who would be well served to pretend this is twitter. If you hit, say, 150 characters and your thought isn't finished, trust me, it is, about 75 characters ago. Oh, and never, never, never quote themselves into an already long post. Less is more.

Think about this so I don't have to.

Thanks for the insinuation that I don't put thought into my posts in comparison, and picking a post with which I actually didn't constantly repeat myself to get the point across (which I've actually been working on).

Sometimes I find myself needing to repeat myself because I could put an explanatory post (such as A timeline of an achillies injury), which I actually put and time and effort in that will pretty much get passed over in a debate from someone that pulled their numbers from nowhere. Such as if I breakdown the percentile of a player that shows they're a great spot up shooter and that they're a terrible driver to the basket, and then about two posts below the person you've shown this to acts like they didn't see any of that whatsoever or moves the goal posts.

So then, from now on when people do that, instead of repeating myself to try to get them to answer the question/response/debate at hand I just won't address it or them till they answer what I asked or stats, etc I bring forth. No point in getting further into that point if I'm going to be eviscerated like I intentionally am repeating myself intentionally just to be annoying and add no substance to a post because of it.

Last edited by MJST on Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:45 pm; edited 4 times in total
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Hate it but our big off season can be signing PG and getting Whiteside on the cheap..

Whiteside is horrible. I don’t know why you want him for
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

see only you would consider that not a big offseason. you love the tabloids and gossip so regardless of how this summer ends, you're going to be ready to post some other comment from some poster on some obscure forum.

they're not going to go after Whiteside so just chill with that nonsense.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject:

0514 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

People wanted Whiteside because

1) we passed over him because Byron Scott chose Ellington and felt Jordan Hill was a better option at the 5.

2) when he played with determination he was a solid top center in the league.

The problem is, once he got his mom that house, he seems to have accomplished all he wanted at the NBA level, got his max contract, proved his point and now the fire isn't there. Textbook example of the fire leaving with the paycheck. Sadly his work ethic and love for the game of basketball was questioned and why he was out of the league in the first place. Now with 'nothing to prove', it's back again. Oh well.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject:

0514 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Hence... “hate it”?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

see only you would consider that not a big offseason. you love the tabloids and gossip so regardless of how this summer ends, you're going to be ready to post some other comment from some poster on some obscure forum.

they're not going to go after Whiteside so just chill with that nonsense.

I hope you are right...
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject:

I don't think Whiteside is on anyone's radar right now.

He's slowly entering Josh Smith territory with this season.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject:

I believe Whiteside signed last year so he has a few years left.

Inspector Gadget wrote:
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject:

Whiteside will be a free agent in 2020 and till then he'll be making 26-27M a year.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject:

The anticipation is building. 68 days to go...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1529, 1530, 1531 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 1530 of 2680
Jump to: