OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1553, 1554, 1555 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Godbe wrote:
Randle gets an 80+ million offer that we don't match, George goes to Philly and Lebron goes to Houston. There's actually a decent chance none are on the Lakers next year.

chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Godbe wrote:
Randle gets an 80+ million offer that we don't match, George goes to Philly and Lebron goes to Houston. There's actually a decent chance none are on the Lakers next year.

Let me guess. Kawhi goes to the clippers as well
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject:

chantruong wrote:
Godbe wrote:

Speaking of the Clippers, I have noticed that a lot of people are putting the Clippers on the list of teams who might look to create a super team. and then I get numbed trying to realize how a team with no winning history will have the credibility to bring in star players... it’s crazy that people actually believe that the Clippers might get Paul George and LeBron.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
chantruong wrote:
Godbe wrote:

Speaking of the Clippers, I have noticed that a lot of people are putting the Clippers on the list of teams who might look to create a super team. and then I get numbed trying to realize how a team with no winning history will have the credibility to bring in star players... it’s crazy that people actually believe that the Clippers might get Paul George and LeBron.

But Jerry West...
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
chantruong wrote:
Godbe wrote:

Same people prob bashing the Lakers. Haters, nothing more. What's appealing about the Clippers? Beverly, Gallinari and Tobias Harris?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject:

chantruong wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
chantruong wrote:
Godbe wrote:

But Jerry West...

He’s old man
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject:

Yahoo Sports: Kawhi’s group shielded him from contact with the Spurs while in NY

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-kawhi-loenard-return-san-165832211.html
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject:

lakers4life78 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
chantruong wrote:
Godbe wrote:

Same people prob bashing the Lakers. Haters, nothing more. What's appealing about the Clippers? Beverly, Gallinari and Tobias Harris?

Almost every scenario involving the Clippers bringing in a star player revolves around dumping Gallo in a trade
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject:

Godbe wrote:

meh. too pessimist for my taste

randle is not going anywhere unless we don't him. in ur scenario if george goes to philly and lebron goes to houston, u bet we match Randle's offer.

Last edited by Jesusdelonla on Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
chantruong wrote:
Godbe wrote:

Almost every scenario involving the Clippers bringing in a star player revolves around dumping Gallo in a trade

Sure teams lining up for him, can give a team 25 games a year.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Yahoo Sports: Kawhi’s group shielded him from contact with the Spurs while in NY

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-kawhi-loenard-return-san-165832211.html

Not true, Spurs medical people attended all his doctor appointments. Of course the article didn’t say what your title says.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject:

lakers4life78 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
chantruong wrote:
Godbe wrote:

Sure teams lining up for him, can give a team 25 games a year.

and has 44m left on his contract for 2 more years
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Judah wrote:
MJST wrote:
Judah wrote:

Whether he stays or goes becomes a very simple decision if OKC loses to UTA. What about that don't you get

That doesn't mean he's leaving for us.

The two aren't related.

Losing to UTAH does not equal LEAVING FOR THE LAKERS

and even if it equaled LEAVING.. "TO THE LAKERS" isn't related to it, nor is it a guaranteed prerequisite. "If he leaves, it's obviously to the Lakers." it isn't.

That's why I said it's not "our ticket" if Utah beats them, even if he wound up leaving.

”That doesn't mean he's leaving for us.”

So freaking what? Per usual, you conveniently picked out a single sentence and ignored the entirety of what I said.

Your argument would hold less weight as an individual one and more as an all around one if every time OKC started failing there wasn't a "soon we'll get Paul george!" attached to it as the consensus.

Yes, there is a group of fans with which my point was addressing that are waiting with baited breath because they consider it a near forgone conclusion that if Paul George leaves OKC it will be for the Lakers.

So that is why I'm addressing the reality that leaving OKC =/= Going to the Lakers.

You can argue "Well him leaving period gives us a chance to sign him, if OKC losses in the first round, that makes his decision to leave that much easier."

Yet how does that increase our chances of signing him? If winning is his primary goal and he gets bounced out of the first round with the reigning MVP, wouldn't that make him less likely to sign with a team that he feels is first round bound? ie a rebuilding team with kids that are 2-3 seasons away? like us.

If anything, a first round exit would make him more likely to start eyeing teams like Houston, Boston, Portland, Cleveland, as destinations because it lessens the chances of him having to deal with another first round exit.

But we add him as our primary off-season acquisition in theory... we're a first round exit, and we don't have the reigning MVP on our team that can do what Russ did last night to save them from elimination.

It's not an exact science, even down to him losing in the first round. So before you preach about "we want him to lose as fast as possible because it makes his decision to leave easier thus increasing our chances of signing him.". Does losing in the first round make it more.. or less likely that he's going to sign with a team destined to the same fate if he's their primary off-season acquisition? I'll go with less likely.

On the flip side, let's assume they beat Utah and go against Houston and lose. You could make the argument that losing to Houston effectively eliminates them as an off-season destination. Which is again, something Lakers fans should want. ESPECIALLY given that he's currently on the Thunder who just dealt with a "leaving for the team that beat you" narrative. Do you think Paul George wants that attached to his name as well?

See? It ain't as simple as you want to make it out to be. There's multiple variants. Which is why I said what I said, that leaving OKC =/= going to the Lakers. Even in the first round. My point was addressing the sect that believe that it's a near forgone conclusion that if he leaves OKC its for the Lakers. That's all.

Brevity is the soul of wit!!!
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
chantruong wrote:
Godbe wrote:

Due to constraints in the CBA and a limited amount of resources available to send out in trades, the Lakers will hit a wall in regards to the number of stars that they will be able to add to the roster this summer or a combination of this summer and next summer.

Even if the Clippers aren't able to redo their roster with the addition of stars this summer, they will be in position to add stars in the future that want to come to LA because the Lakers will have already used their cap space and/or their assets in trades to obtain their stars.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
MJST wrote:
Judah wrote:
MJST wrote:
Judah wrote:

Whether he stays or goes becomes a very simple decision if OKC loses to UTA. What about that don't you get

That doesn't mean he's leaving for us.

The two aren't related.

Losing to UTAH does not equal LEAVING FOR THE LAKERS

and even if it equaled LEAVING.. "TO THE LAKERS" isn't related to it, nor is it a guaranteed prerequisite. "If he leaves, it's obviously to the Lakers." it isn't.

That's why I said it's not "our ticket" if Utah beats them, even if he wound up leaving.

”That doesn't mean he's leaving for us.”

So freaking what? Per usual, you conveniently picked out a single sentence and ignored the entirety of what I said.

Your argument would hold less weight as an individual one and more as an all around one if every time OKC started failing there wasn't a "soon we'll get Paul george!" attached to it as the consensus.

Yes, there is a group of fans with which my point was addressing that are waiting with baited breath because they consider it a near forgone conclusion that if Paul George leaves OKC it will be for the Lakers.

So that is why I'm addressing the reality that leaving OKC =/= Going to the Lakers.

You can argue "Well him leaving period gives us a chance to sign him, if OKC losses in the first round, that makes his decision to leave that much easier."

Yet how does that increase our chances of signing him? If winning is his primary goal and he gets bounced out of the first round with the reigning MVP, wouldn't that make him less likely to sign with a team that he feels is first round bound? ie a rebuilding team with kids that are 2-3 seasons away? like us.

If anything, a first round exit would make him more likely to start eyeing teams like Houston, Boston, Portland, Cleveland, as destinations because it lessens the chances of him having to deal with another first round exit.

But we add him as our primary off-season acquisition in theory... we're a first round exit, and we don't have the reigning MVP on our team that can do what Russ did last night to save them from elimination.

It's not an exact science, even down to him losing in the first round. So before you preach about "we want him to lose as fast as possible because it makes his decision to leave easier thus increasing our chances of signing him.". Does losing in the first round make it more.. or less likely that he's going to sign with a team destined to the same fate if he's their primary off-season acquisition? I'll go with less likely.

On the flip side, let's assume they beat Utah and go against Houston and lose. You could make the argument that losing to Houston effectively eliminates them as an off-season destination. Which is again, something Lakers fans should want. ESPECIALLY given that he's currently on the Thunder who just dealt with a "leaving for the team that beat you" narrative. Do you think Paul George wants that attached to his name as well?

See? It ain't as simple as you want to make it out to be. There's multiple variants. Which is why I said what I said, that leaving OKC =/= going to the Lakers. Even in the first round. My point was addressing the sect that believe that it's a near forgone conclusion that if he leaves OKC its for the Lakers. That's all.

I guess the warning flew over his head.
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Clippers got a mascot, though, guys. Can you imagine Chuck the Condor walking into a free agent pitch meeting with Kawhi or Lebron? Maybe with a hot dog bazooka?

"Where do I sign?"
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Godbe wrote:

And we still make the playoffs
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject:

”On the flip side, let's assume they beat Utah and go against Houston and lose. You could make the argument that losing to Houston effectively eliminates them as an off-season destination. Which is again, something Lakers fans should want. ESPECIALLY given that he's currently on the Thunder who just dealt with a "leaving for the team that beat you" narrative. Do you think Paul George wants that attached to his name as well?”

...So let me get this straight: Laker fans should want the Thunder to win this series against the Jazz, just so they can subsequently lose to the Rockets, because that would take the Rockets off the board as a potential suitor for George’s services?

And this is actually a more reasonable way of looking at it to you? Well, I'll say it this way- There's a reason why you stand alone with this cooky perspective. But I'll leave it to you to figure it out.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject:

MJST calculating the optimal game theoretical playoff outcomes to maximize Paul George to the Lakers: zachgalifianakisnumbers.gif

unrecognized genius
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject:

chantruong wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
chantruong wrote:
Godbe wrote:

But Jerry West...

But Blake Griffin in counterpoint
It's about 100% certain that every free agent in the world watched the Clips pursuit and romancing of Griffin to sign a long term deal, just to get traded away the very next year.
And Austin Rivers as additional counterpoint
if I'm a tomp free agent, I'm really going to trust the Clippers to treat me with respect and not trade me next year? Or not to show continued favoritism to the coaches son?
uhmmmm....no
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject:

@LarryCoon
Quote:
Catch me on @SpectrumSN tonight at 7 PT on Access Lakers talking @Lakers offseason and @SportsBizClass

MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
”On the flip side, let's assume they beat Utah and go against Houston and lose. You could make the argument that losing to Houston effectively eliminates them as an off-season destination. Which is again, something Lakers fans should want. ESPECIALLY given that he's currently on the Thunder who just dealt with a "leaving for the team that beat you" narrative. Do you think Paul George wants that attached to his name as well?”

...So let me get this straight: Laker fans should want the Thunder to win this series against the Jazz, just so they can subsequently lose to the Rockets, because that would take the Rockets off the board as a potential suitor for George’s services? .

I said you could argue that if the Thunder lose to The Rockets that George is less likely to go there. Do you see Paul George going there and having the "he left for the team that beat him" rhetoric put over his head as well?

Won't be as visceral as it was for Durant, but the point and rhetoric would remain.

Either way, my stance about George, remains the same. He's going to go to the team that he feels he can do the most winning with while making the most money. That hasn't changed.

I'm saying you could argue that if he lost in the first round, he's less likely to pick a team in free agency that is destined for the same fate if he's their primary off-season signing.

And you can also argue that if the Thunder lose a hard fought series to the Rockets, that George won't entertain going there, with the whole "going to the team that beat you' rhetoric hanging over his head in the shadow of Durant.

The point is, it isn't an exact science, and my statement was primarily for the fans that think that it's a forgone conclusion that if George left OKC that it would undoubtedly be for the Lakers. Dunno what you aren't getting about that. But as I'd have to repeat myself to address it further, that's the last time I'm addressing it with you.

yinoma2001 wrote:

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio.

Last edited by MJST on Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
chantruong wrote:
Godbe wrote:

Due to constraints in the CBA and a limited amount of resources available to send out in trades, the Lakers will hit a wall in regards to the number of stars that they will be able to add to the roster this summer or a combination of this summer and next summer.

Even if the Clippers aren't able to redo their roster with the addition of stars this summer, they will be in position to add stars in the future that want to come to LA because the Lakers will have already used their cap space and/or their assets in trades to obtain their stars.

Stars lining up to play for the Clippers? Nah I doubt it
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject:

chantruong wrote:
Godbe wrote:

Nope... to Philly for Fultz, Saric, Covington and the 10th pick.... and then Boston trades for Klay Thompson using Brown, Morris and two 1st round picks.

We then sign Cousins and IT to long term deals, who are then both out of the league due to career ending injuries with the next two years.

Finally, immediately after those signings are announced, Santa Claus holds a press conference in the North Pole to confirm his existence, but is immediately assassinated by a left wing atheist and right wing anarchist who teamed up because they don't like people to have nice things.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:

...So let me get this straight: Laker fans should want the Thunder to win this series against the Jazz, just so they can subsequently lose to the Rockets, because that would take the Rockets off the board as a potential suitor for George’s services?

And this is actually a more reasonable way of looking at it to you? Well, I'll say it this way- There's a reason why you stand alone with this cooky perspective. But I'll leave it to you to figure it out.

That worked really well for Golden State... where is Kevin Durant playing these days anyway?

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1553, 1554, 1555 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 1554 of 2680
Jump to: