OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1786, 1787, 1788 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
raffi wrote:
Quote:
Lakers general manager Rob Pelinka told The Times on Friday that the Lakers' front office is constantly in touch with Julius Randle's representatives, and there has been "a mutual exchange of interest and hoping that we can work something out for both sides."

Randle's camp is unsure of how mutual the interest has been.

"We still have no indication of where Julius stands among the Lakers' priorities, or if he is a priority at all," Randle's agent Aaron Mintz said Saturday in response to Pelinka's comments. "We are looking forward to the marketplace in July, when we will get a clear picture of Julius' future."

That marketplace is expected to include the Lakers. They'll make him a qualifying offer in order to retain his rights in free agency. Then Randle, whom the Lakers drafted seventh overall in 2014, will become a restricted free agent once the league year ends. The Lakers must wait, just like the rest of the league, to offer him a contract on July 1.

. . .

Pelinka said he does not have an upper-limit figure in mind for Randle.

"I think going into a process with kind of a position of entrenchment or here's the thin red line that we will not cross isn't necessarily the best way to approach something with an open-mindedness," Pelinka said. "I think any negotiation is between two sides. Ultimately you're hoping to find a partnership."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-randle-20180520-story.html

Sounds like Lakers want to keep Jules for a good price, but Mintz obviously knows it very much hinges on our signing FAs goes and wants to squeeze the Lakers for more money.

Yeah, and there’s some residual issues from Dlo, and the fact that while you respect a team not doing a deal last year, you know that it’s only recently that they’ve actually realized what they have in him. The small slights and nuances matter.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
trablos wrote:
raffi wrote:
Quote:
Lakers general manager Rob Pelinka told The Times on Friday that the Lakers' front office is constantly in touch with Julius Randle's representatives, and there has been "a mutual exchange of interest and hoping that we can work something out for both sides."

"We still have no indication of where Julius stands among the Lakers' priorities, or if he is a priority at all," Randle's agent Aaron Mintz said Saturday in response to Pelinka's comments. "We are looking forward to the marketplace in July, when we will get a clear picture of Julius' future."

That marketplace is expected to include the Lakers. They'll make him a qualifying offer in order to retain his rights in free agency. Then Randle, whom the Lakers drafted seventh overall in 2014, will become a restricted free agent once the league year ends. The Lakers must wait, just like the rest of the league, to offer him a contract on July 1.

. . .

"I think going into a process with kind of a position of entrenchment or here's the thin red line that we will not cross isn't necessarily the best way to approach something with an open-mindedness," Pelinka said. "I think any negotiation is between two sides. Ultimately you're hoping to find a partnership."

Sounds like Lakers want to keep Jules for a good price, but Mintz obviously knows it very much hinges on our signing FAs goes and wants to squeeze the Lakers for more money.

Yeah, and there’s some residual issues from Dlo, and the fact that while you respect a team not doing a deal last year, you know that it’s only recently that they’ve actually realized what they have in him. The small slights and nuances matter.

I wouldn't consider anything he said eyebrow-raising. Typical agent-speak, pretty much. One thing I will say is that it's very unlikely that Julius does anything to give the Lakers a discount. It's going to cost the Lakers market value.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
trablos wrote:
raffi wrote:
Quote:

. . .

I wouldn't consider anything he said eyebrow-raising. Typical agent-speak, pretty much. One thing I will say is that it's very unlikely that Julius does anything to give the Lakers a discount. It's going to cost the Lakers market value.

Exactly. Mintz needs to make other teams think they can make Julius an offer and the Lakers will think twice about matching. Pelinka needs to make other teams cautious about tying up their cap-space when the Lakers could match.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
epak wrote:
Car54 wrote:
This morning I watched the Lakers vs Philly game 1. Ingram and Kuzma should be untouchable unless you’re getting Anthony Davis or someone like that. Ingram and Kuzma kept us in that game and if it wasn’t for Brook disappearing act Ingram probably would have had close to triple dub. What I seen in that game was how both of these guys was comfortable in big moments and wasn’t afraid or in awe of Ben and Joel. Kuzma even tried to dunk on Embiid. Ingram took it to him as well. Ingram also blocked Embiid a shot. I’d trade Ball before I let one of them go.

Now will you go back and watch the other 81 games before making your decision about who to let go?

There’s more games to point why we shouldn’t trade them than there are that would suggest we do. You’ve been really aggressive this morning. Struck out last night didn’t you? Go rub one out to ease tension

Yeah, uh, no.
jankobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 2:29 am    Post subject:

cyborgspider wrote:
jankobe wrote:

Its important for a team to have an allstar C, allstar Guard, allstar Forward in their fold.

Is there an allstar C involved in the Conference Finals right now? Just Horford, right? So is it actually really important? Unless you're counting a PF that can move up to C in small ball lineups, like a Davis or Love...

Do we have a coach named Brad Stevens? Or just Luke Walton?
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:25 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Car54 wrote:
epak wrote:
Car54 wrote:
This morning I watched the Lakers vs Philly game 1. Ingram and Kuzma should be untouchable unless you’re getting Anthony Davis or someone like that. Ingram and Kuzma kept us in that game and if it wasn’t for Brook disappearing act Ingram probably would have had close to triple dub. What I seen in that game was how both of these guys was comfortable in big moments and wasn’t afraid or in awe of Ben and Joel. Kuzma even tried to dunk on Embiid. Ingram took it to him as well. Ingram also blocked Embiid a shot. I’d trade Ball before I let one of them go.

Now will you go back and watch the other 81 games before making your decision about who to let go?

There’s more games to point why we shouldn’t trade them than there are that would suggest we do. You’ve been really aggressive this morning. Struck out last night didn’t you? Go rub one out to ease tension

Yeah, uh, no.

lol to which part?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:30 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Sherwob Holmes
@World_Wide_Wob

Well we now know what contract DeMarcus Cousins will be asking for this Summer

https://twitter.com/World_Wide_Wob/status/998444245672480768
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Quote:
Sherwob Holmes
@World_Wide_Wob

Pass
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:14 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Clippers are gonna be in play for KAT, you just know it, especially considering they have 2 lottery picks to dangle and the fact that if DJ opts out... it gives them more reason to go after a C and Towns would be perfect for them.

Ingram >>>>> 12+13 picks

The Wolves are in an interesting spot this summer. Having Butler didn't quite work out as hoped; I'm sure they were thinking about being a top-tier playoff team in the West with him. And while it's true that they may have contended for the 3 or 4 spot had Butler not gotten hurt, the fact remains that they had defensive issues all year, and that the clock is ticking on them. Both Butler and KAT would need to get paid after next season, with Wiggins already on a gigantic deal. Can they really max out all 3 of those players, if they are just a mediocre playoff team that is more likely to lose a 1st Round series?

If I were them, I would strongly consider moving Butler (I think moving KAT would be nuts) and getting back some more young talent/picks in return. Oh, and blowing out Thibs.

They might have been better off, in hindsight, with Lavine/Dunn/Markkenen. Wow.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:16 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Quote:
Sherwob Holmes
@World_Wide_Wob

Pass

Pass x2.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Clippers are gonna be in play for KAT, you just know it, especially considering they have 2 lottery picks to dangle and the fact that if DJ opts out... it gives them more reason to go after a C and Towns would be perfect for them.

Ingram >>>>> 12+13 picks

The Wolves are in an interesting spot this summer. Having Butler didn't quite work out as hoped; I'm sure they were thinking about being a top-tier playoff team in the West with him. And while it's true that they may have contended for the 3 or 4 spot had Butler not gotten hurt, the fact remains that they had defensive issues all year, and that the clock is ticking on them. Both Butler and KAT would need to get paid after next season, with Wiggins already on a gigantic deal. Can they really max out all 3 of those players, if they are just a mediocre playoff team that is more likely to lose a 1st Round series?

If I were them, I would strongly consider moving Butler (I think moving KAT would be nuts) and getting back some more young talent/picks in return. Oh, and blowing out Thibs.

The owner either didn't realize what was going to happen with the hiring of Thibodeau or getting into the playoffs was so important to him (the owner) that the costs incurred by Thibodeau were considered to be minor at the time.

If owners could just avoid making these Faustian Bargains , the league would be better for it.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Quote:
Sherwob Holmes
@World_Wide_Wob

He turns 28 in August and is rehabbing from a major injury. Seeking a contract for the most money possible is the logical thing for him to do.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Ingram >>>>> 12+13 picks

The owner either didn't realize what was going to happen with the hiring of Thibodeau or getting into the playoffs was so important to him (the owner) that the costs incurred by Thibodeau were considered to be minor at the time.

If owners could just avoid making these Faustian Bargains , the league would be better for it.

I do think Butler is a big flight risk as a FA in 2019. He wants to be in a bigger market.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject:

Lakers FO will look like idiots offering Cousins a big contract. Is the dude even walking yet without a walking boot? Yikes.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
Lakers FO will look like idiots offering Cousins a big contract. Is the dude even walking yet without a walking boot? Yikes.

The last word is that rehab is going well he's pushing to be ready for training camp.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Car54 wrote:
epak wrote:
Car54 wrote:

Yeah, uh, no.

lol to which part?
To the inappropriate personal remark.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
anth2000 wrote:

The last word is that rehab is going well he's pushing to be ready for training camp.

Of course he's saying that. If he wouldn't be ready for training/beginning of season he'd stand to lose a lot of money. I'm doubtful he will be playing come November.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:

Wish the discussion of even the remote possibility of signing Cousins would end. It makes me nervous that the Lakers would be willing to do it for the "WOW" factor alone. Then watch him miss half the season .

Curious why doesn't the same reasoning apply to Leonard? Is he working out yet? Or still rehabbing? Yet how many can't wait to trade away valuable young assets for another headline grabbing move.

No interest in Cousins. Even before his injury. Would love to sign Leonard next year if he proves himself healthy in body and mind. No interest in getting into trade wars with teams with many more assets especially for a player that may have a long term lingering issue or quit on his team for personal reasons.

Prefer seeing him prove his he is still the player he was then chasing him as a free agent next year.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Ingram >>>>> 12+13 picks

I do think Butler is a big flight risk as a FA in 2019. He wants to be in a bigger market.

Perhaps it will be similar to Paul George in OKC. If Minnesota could win 60 games next season and make the Conference Finals, then Butler would have some reasons to consider staying with a team that is improving. Towns and Wiggins don't appear to be buying what Thibodeau is selling, so 60 wins and the Conference Finals are unlikely for Minnesota next season.

Thibodeau comes across as somewhat like Phil in they are not very adaptive and think that past success will follow them to a position they have no training and/or aptitude for.

Since the hiring procedure for FO executives is done at the team level rather than centralized & coordinated by the league, mistakes happen such as the decision to hire Thibodeau.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject:

IIRC, Butler wasn't happy about being traded to Minny.

I'd say his chances of bolting there in FA is over 50%. If I were them, I'd look to recoup something for him.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I'd say his chances of bolting there in FA is over 50%. If I were them, I'd look to recoup something for him.

I agree with that, but it would surprise me if Thibodeau (the coach) was able to accept that would be the likely course of events next summer and that Thibodeau (head of basketball operations) needed to take charge of the situation and do the right thing which is move Butler this offseason.

Their current roster without Butler would probably be worse than Denver and likely fall out of the playoffs which would frustrate Thibodeau (the coach).
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I agree with that, but it would surprise me if Thibodeau (the coach) was able to accept that would be the likely course of events next summer and that Thibodeau (head of basketball operations) needed to take charge of the situation and do the right thing which is move Butler this offseason.

Their current roster without Butler would probably be worse than Denver and likely fall out of the playoffs which would frustrate Thibodeau (the coach).

You are assuming Thibodeau will still be making the calls.

Wolves are finally improving after years of not making the playoffs. They have some exciting young players and some solid vets. But the players are starting to become disgruntled?

Who usually wins in these player vs HC issues. Would it surprise you to see Thibs removed if the players continue to gripe? Ownership would replace him in a minute with a "player friendly" HC if it keeps the peace and keeps butts in the seats.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

The head coach/president of basketball ops dinosaur needs to be extinct. SVG is out. Doc was stripped/relinquished his basketball ops duties.

Thibs needs to as well.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:

Is there any link/article of Lakers interest in cousins?

Or just a self assumption & then panic?
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

The head coach/president of basketball ops dinosaur needs to be extinct. SVG is out. Doc was stripped/relinquished his basketball ops duties.

Thibs needs to as well.

Yupe. No idea why they have him both in the first place.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1786, 1787, 1788 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 1787 of 2680
Jump to: