OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1815, 1816, 1817 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject:

UKUGA wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
If the goal is keeping Randle after adding Lebron and PG, it makes no sense to trade #25 and Hart to do so.

Much better to trade 2019 and 2021 1sts to dump Deng, and keep Hart and #25 as part of the core. The addition of Lebron and PG puts us in win now mode. You want as much young talent around those guys now.

Hart is already a proven NBA contributor. You don’t throw him away to replace him with a guy who may or may not work out in 2021.

And it’s better to bring #25 into the program now. You want that player to start developing as soon as possible. If things go well, he could be a contributor in year 1. You want to maximize the amount of young talent on the team now, as opposed to bringing in rookies next year and in 2021.

Ya, as much as I'd like to keep Randle, I'm not giving up on Hart this quickly.

In fact, it's not even "giving up", it's more like "giving away". The guy can play. We need more guys like him, not one less.

I agree
Don't trade away young 2 way players
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
If the goal is keeping Randle after adding Lebron and PG, it makes no sense to trade #25 and Hart to do so.

Much better to trade 2019 and 2021 1sts to dump Deng, and keep Hart and #25 as part of the core. The addition of Lebron and PG puts us in win now mode. You want as much young talent around those guys now.

Hart is already a proven NBA contributor. You don’t throw him away to replace him with a guy who may or may not work out in 2021.

And it’s better to bring #25 into the program now. You want that player to start developing as soon as possible. If things go well, he could be a contributor in year 1. You want to maximize the amount of young talent on the team now, as opposed to bringing in rookies next year and in 2021.

That's preferable in many ways (although refilling the cupboard a few years down the road on rookie salaries is also important), but I wouldn't let a 2018 1st rounder be a red line.

There’s definitely a trade off between keeping Julius and losing picks, but I think he’s worth keeping. The Stepien rule helps keep the cupboard full with the 2020 1st, and I’d look to buy as many picks as possible over the next few years if this scenario played out. But I agree with your overall idea that you want a consistent flow of young talent into the program. That’s one of the reasons that if we don’t get Lebron this summer, I’d like to see us use some of that cap space to take on a deal like Faried’s in return for a first. You literally can never have too many 1sts, given their value in roster construction and trades.

Also agree on not making this year’s pick a red line, but I think most teams would rather get future picks than get a guy who has already been drafted at #25, unless it was a player that team loved. A player who’s already been drafted is now a known quantity, with warts and weaknesses for fans to focus on, as opposed to future picks, which fans can spend countless hours getting excited about and the potential players who might be picked at those slots. A lot of the bad franchises (PHX, Orl, Sac, etc) are in the business of selling hope, and they are also the types of teams with the space to take on Deng’s deal, so I think it’s more likely he gets moved for two future picks instead of the player drafted at 25 and a future pick.

More importantly than #25 for me, though, is Hart. There’s no way I’m trading Hart instead of future picks to move Deng. He’s way too valuable- especially if you’re trying to win now.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Yes, I'm hoping that a team like ATL will take Deng for the '19 and '21 1st's, along with $5.2MM cash and 2 of the following 3 things:

--Zubac
--'19 CHI 2nd
--#47 pick this year

Obviously, if they don't even require that, awesome. But I'd definitely still do the deal involving 2 of those 3 things, or even all 3, honestly. As long as Hart or Kuzma or BI/Ball are not involved in a Deng dump, or a third 1st rounder, I'm OK with it. This is only in a scenario where we need space for LeBron and PG, though. Otherwise, just keep Deng and wait.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Endless3D wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
scoobs wrote:
scoobs wrote:
It is to my understanding that the 2nd round picks dont count as salary until they are signed. Before that time, they count as a minimum roster hold. I hope Im wrong about this. Or, if Im correct, can the Lakers hurry up and sign the 2nd round picks on July 6th? I dont know about the timing of when the 2nd round picks sign. Anybody have info?

Crap, my bad. The website I was looking at didn't have the accurate 2017 rookie minimum, so there would be no savings. Sorry to get anyone excited.
So, basically the only way we are able to afford James, George and Randle if we absorb Asik, is to also trade the #25 and an additional $650,000 Or so in salary. We could accomplish this by trading Hart for. Future 1st or expanding the trade by including Ingram and the #7 pick (The pick is about 1.5 million cheaper than Ingram). Of course, if you are going to do all that , we probably wouldn't have to absorb Asik.

Ok if you come up with one more stupid ass Ingram trade idea your Laker fan card will be revoked. Just like what I told you on realgm because I'm larry14r is my screen name.

Man, dudes entire posting history is making trades involving Brandon Ingram.

I can't be the only one getting annoyed by this right? The only time he posts in this thread is when he's proposing a trade involving Brandon Ingram.

every. single. time.

I also post about the draft.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:

That's preferable in many ways (although refilling the cupboard a few years down the road on rookie salaries is also important), but I wouldn't let a 2018 1st rounder be a red line.

There’s definitely a trade off between keeping Julius and losing picks, but I think he’s worth keeping. The Stepien rule helps keep the cupboard full with the 2020 1st, and I’d look to buy as many picks as possible over the next few years if this scenario played out. But I agree with your overall idea that you want a consistent flow of young talent into the program. That’s one of the reasons that if we don’t get Lebron this summer, I’d like to see us use some of that cap space to take on a deal like Faried’s in return for a first. You literally can never have too many 1sts, given their value in roster construction and trades.

Also agree on not making this year’s pick a red line, but I think most teams would rather get future picks than get a guy who has already been drafted at #25, unless it was a player that team loved. A player who’s already been drafted is now a known quantity, with warts and weaknesses for fans to focus on, as opposed to future picks, which fans can spend countless hours getting excited about and the potential players who might be picked at those slots. A lot of the bad franchises (PHX, Orl, Sac, etc) are in the business of selling hope, and they are also the types of teams with the space to take on Deng’s deal, so I think it’s more likely he gets moved for two future picks instead of the player drafted at 25 and a future pick.

More importantly than #25 for me, though, is Hart. There’s no way I’m trading Hart instead of future picks to move Deng. He’s way too valuable- especially if you’re trying to win now.

Obviously, if you're trading this year's pick, you likely shape a deal with someone before the draft if you can. I'd just rather have 19 and 21 over 18 and 20. I think that sets your finances and needs up better.

And I definitely would trade two firsts for julius. He's a lotto hit, and those are worth multiple late picks.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

That's what you would think but it doesn't always work out that way. I hope he comes to the Lakers but we'll be fine regardless so I'm not too worried about it.

I just think PG13 is playing it coy right now. Lakers already fined for tampering, so he can feign the "it's such a difficult decision" when he's sitting across the table (meeting in LA of course) with the OKC staff. Then he's going to look Magic in the eye and say no? I don't see it.

I’m sure Shaw will be there as well making it hard to say no
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

That's what you would think but it doesn't always work out that way. I hope he comes to the Lakers but we'll be fine regardless so I'm not too worried about it.

I just think PG13 is playing it coy right now. Lakers already fined for tampering, so he can feign the "it's such a difficult decision" when he's sitting across the table (meeting in LA of course) with the OKC staff. Then he's going to look Magic in the eye and say no? I don't see it.

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:

Obviously, if you're trading this year's pick, you likely shape a deal with someone before the draft if you can. I'd just rather have 19 and 21 over 18 and 20. I think that sets your finances and needs up better.

And I definitely would trade two firsts for julius. He's a lotto hit, and those are worth multiple late picks.

Yeah. I don't even see how #25 could be involved if it was after the draft, right? Because then you have to wait the 30 days, I think. And that timeline doesn't work. If we have a Deng trade announced before or during the Draft, it will be a very strong signal that we think we're getting 2 maxes.
Endless3D
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Jeanie Buss tweeted a bunch of heart eyes at the Brandon Ingram workout video lol
ToastedMuffins
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:

Yeah. I don't even see how #25 could be involved if it was after the draft, right? Because then you have to wait the 30 days, I think. And that timeline doesn't work. If we have a Deng trade announced before or during the Draft, it will be a very strong signal that we think we're getting 2 maxes.

The 30 day limit only comes into effect when a player puts pen to a paper and signs a contract.

Lakers won't actually sign their draft pick until after free agency is over and this benefits them for two reasons.

1. Lakers can trade the player's draft rights without having to wait 30 days after he signs a contract.

2. The 1st round draftee's cap hold is less than the traditional amount that rookies are signed for (120%) giving the Lakers slightly more cap space in free agency.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject:

ToastedMuffins wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:

The 30 day limit only comes into effect when a player puts pen to a paper and signs a contract.

Lakers won't actually sign their draft pick until after free agency is over and this benefits them for two reasons.

1. Lakers can trade the player's draft rights without having to wait 30 days after he signs a contract.

2. The 1st round draftee's cap hold is less than the traditional amount that rookies are signed for (120%) giving the Lakers slightly more cap space in free agency.

Thanks...I always get that mixed up.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:

I think it depends on the cost.

If the FO is offered a great deal for Deng - say just #25 and a future 2nd, they likely make the trade no matter what.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
epak wrote:
32 wrote:
Quote:
Anthony Davis has now met the super max criteria (All-NBA in 2 out of 3 seasons) and is eligible to sign the largest contract in NBA history next summer (2019). The extension projects to be worth $230 million with a cap hit in 2020-21 starting at $39.7 million.

https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/999712654514995201

I don't mind passing on AD

I predict that contract ends badly

This really makes it hard for NO to sign Cousins too.

Talk about luxury tax hell.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
epak wrote:
32 wrote:
Quote:
Anthony Davis has now met the super max criteria (All-NBA in 2 out of 3 seasons) and is eligible to sign the largest contract in NBA history next summer (2019). The extension projects to be worth $230 million with a cap hit in 2020-21 starting at $39.7 million.

This really makes it hard for NO to sign Cousins too.

Talk about luxury tax hell.

The stupid small market owners panicked with the new CBA after Durant left and ended up screwing themselves worse with their super max idea. Less profitable teams like New Orleans are going to end up bankrupting themselves without an amnesty provision.
Endless3D
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject:

AD might be the highest paid player of all time based on just NBA salaries if his game ages well.

He's already started on a 4 year max contract that'll end when he's 27. Then he gets the 5 year supermax which ends when he's 32.

If he's good enough to command another super max at 32 then I think he should be somewhere near the top right
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject:

I don't see LA trading Deng prior to the summer. It would be too blatant of a sign that they know both guys are coming. Just can't see it happening.

Also- Lebron seems to like having the league grind to a halt when he's a FA. Doubt he would want the Lakers letting the cat out of the bag early.

I could see the FO working out a deal with someone like ATL if there is a player that the Lakers and Hawks both want, where the Lakers keep the player if Lebron doesn't join up, and trade that player and the 2020 pick to offload Deng if Lebron signs, but that feels like a longshot- lots of moving parts.

Much more likely imo that they keep #25 (especially if it's someone they're excited about) and trade '19 and '21 1sts plus whatever small sweetener they may need to add, such as Zu.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject:

ToastedMuffins wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

They took away the loophole in the latest CBA that teams used with a base rookie scale cap hold versus the traditional 120% overpay.

50. Are draft picks included in team salary? If so, for how much?

Quote:

Unsigned first round picks are included in team salary at 120% of the player's scale salary amount immediately upon their selection in the draft. Once a first round pick signs a contract, his actual salary is included in the team salary, of course.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject:

I'm chilling with a nice cigar and whiskey listening to Simmons and Lowe passive aggressively discuss the Lakers - "I can see them striking out and making a panic trade for Westbrook" - and my competitive juices are flowing.

(bleep) Simmons and the Celtics. I want this Lebron/George/Randle off-season, and I want Simmons to choke on his bile on his free agency podcast in two months. I want Magic to take his victory lap on every damn ESPN segment available and I want the league to be put back on notice that the Los Angeles Lakers are coming to (bleep) their (bleep) up.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

On midnight July 1 they will be on a fishing boat together.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject:

I'm chilling with a nice cigar and whiskey listening to Simmons and Lowe passive aggressively discuss the Lakers - "I can see them striking out and making a panic trade for Westbrook" - and my competitive juices are flowing.

(bleep) Simmons and the Celtics. I want this Lebron/George/Randle off-season, and I want Simmons to choke on his bile on his free agency podcast in two months. I want Magic to take his victory lap on every damn ESPN segment available and I want the league to be put back on notice that the Los Angeles Lakers are coming to (bleep) their (bleep) up.

I have noticed that Lowe and Simmons love making crazy predictions together when both of them are talking on the podcast..I wouldn’t take what they say seriously.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject:

Now we’re talking
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Simmons has no right talking sh*t about triple double threats who can't shoot.

At least Russ can shoot a little from range.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject:

If Magic and Pelinka are able to get rid of Mozgov and Deng AND kill it in the draft AND sign us an all star FA all in less than 2 years, then they need to be automatic execs of the year.
Kookie Monster
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject:

Heck yeah.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
epak wrote:
32 wrote:
Quote:

In trying to incentivize teams to grow their own stars, the NBA owners may have achieved the opposite. Small market teams wanted to prevent franchises like the Lakers from taking away their stars and now they'll be spending almost half their salary cap to do so.

All of sudden I'm liking the idea of drafting not-quite-superstar players and getting actual superstars through supermax-proof free agency.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1815, 1816, 1817 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 1816 of 2680
Jump to: