OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1922, 1923, 1924 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
LakerBaker wrote:
All this trade talk... we just need to dump Deng, thanks it. I don’t care if it takes 3 first round picks, as long as we don’t trade any of our current players other than Ennis, Zubac, or Bryant... just get it done!

If Lebron isn’t willing to take $2.5m discount so we can just stretch Deng, do we really want him?

I think it says something about his commitment to winning.

Basketball is a business and he knows the Lakers, even without a star, rake in more money per year than any other franchise. It's probably the most valuable in the NBA. The additional revenue he would generate makes even his max a gross underpay. The dude is also a major advocate for the players Union. Of course he shouldn't offer a discount.

Does he want to win another championship or not? Durant took a $9m discount.

It isn't like the Lakers are being cheap and trying to make money off him taking a discount. It is just a reality of the salary cap and Deng.

If Lebron wants to have a team that can compete, he should want the Lakers to keep Randle and their future 1st round picks. In the end, winning a championship will make him more money than getting $36m instead of $33m.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject:

It's not about what the monetary figure is. It's about what the monetary figure represents.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
This article also says he is supermax eligible.

https://www.thescore.com/nba/news/1325795-paul-eligible-for-super-max-extension-with-rockets-next-summer

He was eligible for the SuperMax if he stayed with the Clippers last year. Once he got traded to Houston, he was no longer eligible for the Supermax, but the supermax = the max for a player with 10+ years.

In the end, he gave up money to go to Houston.

Look at the article title though.

It says “paul-eligble-for-super-max-extension-with-rockets”. Not saying you’re wrong, but one of you are.

It is because the Supermax is the same % as a 10+ year vet. The supermax is 35% and a 10+ year vet is 35% of the salary cap.

He was eligible for 35% of the salary cap last year and opted-in to a deal paying him $24m.

That is called taking a major discount.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
LakerBaker wrote:
All this trade talk... we just need to dump Deng, thanks it. I don’t care if it takes 3 first round picks, as long as we don’t trade any of our current players other than Ennis, Zubac, or Bryant... just get it done!

If Lebron isn’t willing to take $2.5m discount so we can just stretch Deng, do we really want him?

Basketball is a business and he knows the Lakers, even without a star, rake in more money per year than any other franchise. It's probably the most valuable in the NBA. The additional revenue he would generate makes even his max a gross underpay. The dude is also a major advocate for the players Union. Of course he shouldn't offer a discount.

It isn't like the Lakers are being cheap and trying to make money off him taking a discount. It is just a reality of the salary cap and Deng.

If Lebron wants to have a team that can compete, he should want the Lakers to keep Randle and their future 1st round picks. In the end, winning a championship will make him more money than getting $36m instead of $33m.

Source on winning a title earning him more than 3 million?

And good for Durant, but he did that because not doing it would mean Livingston and/or Iggy couldn't be resigned. A Lebron max does not preclude them from bringing back Randle or anyone else in last year's rotation provided Magic/Pelinka prove their ability by moving Deng for future picks. If they can't do that, why should LeBron sign with Lakers? Who has to prove they'll do what it takes to win here? LeBron already won titles.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
LakerBaker wrote:

And good for Durant, but he did that because not doing it would mean Livingston and/or Iggy couldn't be resigned. A Lebron max does not preclude them from bringing back Randle or anyone else in last year's rotation provided Magic/Pelinka prove their ability by moving Deng for future picks. If they can't do that, why should LeBron sign with Lakers? Who has to prove they'll do what it takes to win here? LeBron already won titles.

Livingston and Iggy could both have been resigned for any amount. Durant took a discount purely to save the owner money.

Moving Deng for future picks impacts the teams ability to improve through trades.

Adding 2 future 1st to Ingram, Ball or Kuzma could be the difference between getting a 3rd star or not.

(Teams make more that can be distributed to players if the longer they are in the playoffs).

Last edited by LakerMindLA on Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

https://www.thescore.com/nba/news/1325795-paul-eligible-for-super-max-extension-with-rockets-next-summer

He was eligible for the SuperMax if he stayed with the Clippers last year. Once he got traded to Houston, he was no longer eligible for the Supermax, but the supermax = the max for a player with 10+ years.

It says “paul-eligble-for-super-max-extension-with-rockets”. Not saying you’re wrong, but one of you are.

Players with more than 9 years experience aren’t eligible for the DPE, they already qualify for the 35% of the cap salary.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:

You're asking quite a lot for any front office. Deng is not a valuable player and has a horrible contract. Why would any team want to give up future picks for him? That's not a litmus test that Lebron is asking either.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

It is because the Supermax is the same % as a 10+ year vet. The supermax is 35% and a 10+ year vet is 35% of the salary cap.

He was eligible for 35% of the salary cap last year and opted-in to a deal paying him $24m.

Ok, I dont know the particulars so I’ll take your word for it.

Is it a discount if the Clippers werent going to give him the supermax though?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

If the Rockets promised him a wink-wink max deal after last season that would pay him a truckload when he's much older, he may not have really given up money over the long haul, and in fact may have secured himself more of it.
Lakers4Life33
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
It's not about what the monetary figure is. It's about what the monetary figure represents.

This is the realest sh*t i've ever read on LG.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject:

There are no "wink-wink" deals when it comes to the President of the players union.
King Kleazy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject:

Man I’m sorry but we’re 1923 pages in and there’s still post with blatant incorrect details about us HAVING TO lose our core etc...if you don’t know the roster / cap facts that are posted through MULTIPLE pages, why make infuriating comments about our potential moves?

Also the folks so scared that we may miss out on Bron that they’re forcing other teams as the victor weeks before the decision with many tea leaves that can give us others reason to believe LA has a chance. MAN THE HELL UP! We honestly don’t care about Houston, Philadelphia, etc.....take that ISH somewhere bruh.

After the Nash debacle I can understand the hesitancy to move multiple picks, but there’s always risk and Bron is a better bet than Steve was. Not to mention our team is filled with young players in comparison to that team and with Bron an PG the picks would be better off moved because they’ll be late first. Just place more reasonable protections on them this time, and if we crap out it’ll easier and would’ve been worth it.

If moving Deng, it’s the picks that gotta go...especially if we can potentially trade any signed players that will be valuable over the next few seasons.This CP stuff is discouraging but hopefully this is just Bron helping his bioy to keep Houston from thinking twice about playing with his money after that playoff injury and his age comes up. Bron was just complaining about his team needing to be healthy yet wants CP3 as a teammate? Friends or not, that’s stupid.

This wait will be hell but irregardless can we at least be unified in our team getting better and breaking the stigma of FA fools together. Leave the negativity until things don’t go our way. This is with the understanding that everyone doesn’t want Bron here as well. Anything can play out over the next four weeks folks......let’s just get better is all.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
MJST wrote:
Sojo wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
chantruong wrote:
I don't take these Kobe tweets too seriously. He's just schooling these idiots online but no direct jabs.

Pretty much.

Stephen Jackson on the other hand,

That and Barkley prove everything, we don't need LeQuit on this team because that "winning" atmosphere that will come with him is all predicated on the fact that his physical abilities are just so much better than his competition, not his heart, not his mindset and not his determination. These guys need a tiger, not a bear to learn how to win. It's why Buss chose Kobe over Shaq.

Yep, LeBron is 1-4 in his last 5 Finals. Something people seem to like to gloss over, or give him a participation trophy for.

He is 1-4 in championship finals while we were collecting awards for bottom feeders in those years

Some know the reality instead of pretending we r too good for best player in the world

Your alternative is to sign boogie cousins who is 0-0 in playoffs and is coming off of torn Achilles

Warriors was bottom feeders o nce upon a time and kept their youth now they have the same amount as lebron in less time.

We don't have Steph curry on this roster nor did we draft Klay Thompson

How do you know what these guys will be its randles 3rd season (of play) and he just started showing how good he coukd be so how can you say that about these guys? Let me borrow that crystal ball
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

If the Rockets promised him a wink-wink max deal after last season that would pay him a truckload when he's much older, he may not have really given up money over the long haul, and in fact may have secured himself more of it.

This is true - though as someone said, it would look really bad for the President of the Players Union to do wink-wink deals. Also, Houston was sold after CP3 was traded, so any wink-wink deal might not be valid.

At the end of the say, CP3 took about $9m less to last season to go to Houston compared to his FA open market value.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject:

^
I guess we can go back and forth on this all day, but I don't think he took "less money", in the sense that he got paid what his contract said. He made a choice to want to play for the Rockets over the Clippers, basically, and, yeah, I will believe that it's remarkably likely that he was promised a max deal by the Rockets starting this year.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
I guess we can go back and forth on this all day, but I don't think he took "less money", in the sense that he got paid what his contract said. He made a choice to want to play for the Rockets over the Clippers, basically, and, yeah, I will believe that it's remarkably likely that he was promised a max deal by the Rockets starting this year.

So if PG13 opts-in, then gets trades to the Lakers, you wouldn't consider that taking less money?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^

So if PG13 opts-in, then gets trades to the Lakers, you wouldn't consider that taking less money?

I don't expect that he will do that, as a guy with a major leg injury in his fairly recent past and as a guy who has not made the same kind of money that CP3 has in his career. Having said that, if PG did opt in and get traded here, I would expect that he would then sign a 1+1 deal in free agency after next year, so that he would then be eligible to sign a 10+ year max in 2020.

In other words, I am saying that CP3 may have sacrificed 2017-18 dollars for more money over the long haul, and PG would be doing the same if he did opt in, but I find the PG opt-in scenario very unlikely. It should also be noted that in CP3's case, the state of Texas doesn't have income tax, so if he does end up playing there for 4 more years and gets max dollars, he will have made more money than if he had just signed a 5-year deal with the Clippers.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
It should also be noted that in CP3's case, the state of Texas doesn't have income tax, so if he does end up playing there for 4 more years and gets max dollars, he will have made more money than if he had just signed a 5-year deal with the Clippers.

Depends on his primary residence I'd imagine, not just playing 47 games in Texas.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
It should also be noted that in CP3's case, the state of Texas doesn't have income tax, so if he does end up playing there for 4 more years and gets max dollars, he will have made more money than if he had just signed a 5-year deal with the Clippers.

Depends on his primary residence I'd imagine, not just playing 47 games in Texas.

He had homes in CA and TX last year, though both are up for sale as we speak!
jankobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject:

noahp45 wrote:
Lakers are hopefully smart to see what a Bron does to a team. Gutted the Cavs and took off to the Heat. Gutted the heat when he went to the Cavs. He leaves now Cavs are gutted with garbage contacts.

He could also do that to us after signing 3-5 years contract and i dont care. He is 40 by then. Important thing is he will surely improve this team 100% & management will finally end drought of Superstar Free Agent Snubs!
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Well he's gonna have to change his tune if he really wants to assemble a title team like he talks about. KD and CP3 willingly took less money to do exactly that, and they were on the two best teams in the NBA. Lebron can't take a 5m haircut so that we can keep Randle?
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject:

jankobe wrote:
noahp45 wrote:
Lakers are hopefully smart to see what a Bron does to a team. Gutted the Cavs and took off to the Heat. Gutted the heat when he went to the Cavs. He leaves now Cavs are gutted with garbage contacts.

He could also do that to us after signing 3-5 years contract and i dont care. He is 40 by then. Important thing is he will surely improve this team 100% & management will finally end drought of Superstar Free Agent Snubs!

I would not take 3 good years of LeBron over 8-10 years of great, fun Lakers basketball thats waiting ahead.
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject:

JeezyXVII wrote:
jankobe wrote:
noahp45 wrote:

I would not take 3 good years of LeBron over 8-10 years of great, fun Lakers basketball thats waiting ahead.

I don’t understand this thinking. Why can’t you have both?
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject:

JeezyXVII wrote:
jankobe wrote:
noahp45 wrote:

I laughed when I read this. We did take a few years of horribly boring championship level basketball in exchange for a long term entertaining but perhaps non-winning team. It was called the 'triangle', where we replaced our starting point guard nick van exel with derek fisher. And sort of swapped Eddie Jones for Rick Fox.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject:

Vanquish wrote:
JeezyXVII wrote:
jankobe wrote:
noahp45 wrote:

I laughed when I read this. We did take a few years of horribly boring championship level basketball in exchange for a long term entertaining but perhaps non-winning team. It was called the 'triangle', where we replaced our starting point guard nick van exel with derek fisher. And sort of swapped Eddie Jones for Rick Fox.

Horrobly boring during our 3 peat years?

oh geez
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1922, 1923, 1924 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 1923 of 2680
Jump to: