OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2047, 2048, 2049 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rst08tierney
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject:

greek laker wrote:
i m starting to have that irrational feeling that our true target is chris paul

Wonder if PG,LBJ,CP3 would all take cuts to play together if KL came now or even in 19?

CP3 has what? At least 3 good years left in the tank and then just pass the torch over to Ball
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Melo is another Dwight Howard. Subtraction by addition. Wouldn't take him for free.

What if you had advance knowledge that he'd go to the Warriors if we didn't sign him?

I would love it, because it would weaken their team. Again, subtraction by addition. I don't just mean that for us, I mean that in general. Dude is about to be on his 6th team in, what, 4 years, if you count Brooklyn? They got him and want nothing to do with him. Dude is a clown and a cancer.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Melo is another Dwight Howard. Subtraction by addition. Wouldn't take him for free.

What if you had advance knowledge that he'd go to the Warriors if we didn't sign him?

I would love it, because it would weaken their team. Again, subtraction by addition. I don't just mean that for us, I mean that in general. Dude is about to be on his 6th team in, what, 4 years, if you count Brooklyn? They got him and want nothing to do with him. Dude is a clown and a cancer.

I disagree... I'd pay him and have him sit in a room and play cards with Deng.

You do not let him go play with the Warriors or Celtics if you can stop it.

I get what you mean but you act like he's walking around with an Ebola virus that will immediately kill everyone in the vicinity. He's just an immature man... not the antichrist. I can see how he would cause problems but not nearly the trouble he could cause us on the court... even in his diminished state.
CalisFinest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject:

Just 8 more days... "Now this is going to be fun" . Let's hope this year is more fruitful than previous years.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

I get what you mean but you act like he's walking around with an Ebola virus that will immediately kill everyone in the vicinity. He's just an immature man... not the antichrist. I can see how he would cause problems but not nearly the trouble he could cause us on the court... even in his diminished state.

Of course he's not, like, an evil human being (as far as I know), but when it comes to basketball, I believe his presence on a team is a net negative. He will want to play and he won't just sit there and be cool with a very limited role. When he was a superstar, it's different, because he was so good that you deal with the baggage. When you're merely an OK-to-decent player, it's just not worth the baggage.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:

You don't sign guys that you have no intention of playing just to keep some other team from signing them. Just get the best possible players for you team. Forget about the puerile cockblocking games.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Of course he's not, like, an evil human being (as far as I know), but when it comes to basketball, I believe his presence on a team is a net negative. He will want to play and he won't just sit there and be cool with a very limited role. When he was a superstar, it's different, because he was so good that you deal with the baggage. When you're merely an OK-to-decent player, it's just not worth the baggage.

I just see a line up of Howard/Draymond/KD/Klay/Curry or Howard/Horford/Tatum/Brown/Kyrie as a bridge too far for even LeBron and PG to overcome.

Replacing JaVale with Dwight... Baynes with Dwight = nail in the coffin for the rest of the league.

If he goes anywhere else I think I can probably live with it... but if I'm a GM I wouldn't be sleeping much, knowing that lineup was out there.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject:

I mean, Dwight wouldn't be playing major minutes on Golden State or crunch time minutes. In an absolute best case scenario for them (he magically is OK with a limited JaVale-like role and won't complain), he's still not going to be the reason why the Warriors win and lose. I don't even see them having interest in him; I think they would have a lot more interest in Brook Lopez, honestly.

Better put, a team like Golden State has far more to lose by bringing him in than it can gain. It's just not worth the baggage.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

You don't sign guys that you have no intention of playing just to keep some other team from signing them. Just get the best possible players for you team. Forget about the puerile cockblocking games.

Noble approach... but I respectfully disagree.

Obviously this is extreme levels of micromanagement... but I simply do not want to see him working for cheap for our future arch rivals.
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject:

You WANT Howard on Dubs. He will destroy their chemistry!
JAN24/2/14
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject:

Sign pg resign randle maintain enough flexibility to acquire kawhi in 2019.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject:

YSong wrote:
You WANT Howard on Dubs. He will destroy their chemistry!

The Dubs are so together they'd just laugh at Dwight like we'd laugh at Ball and Kuzma.

Curry is the son of a player... Thompson is the son of a player... No one is going to influence Draymond. KD has matured. Kerr is a solid guy that would put him back in line. Livingston and Iggy are seasoned vets.

You can't do anything to the Warriors... maybe he affects the Celtics negatively... but those kids seem mature beyond their years as well.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject:

If we get LeBron does anybody think that Dwyane Wade would come over here as a backup guard for the vet minimum?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
If we get LeBron does anybody think that Dwyane Wade would come over here as a backup guard for the vet minimum?

I do. And not a bad option either IMO.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
I mean, Dwight wouldn't be playing major minutes on Golden State or crunch time minutes. In an absolute best case scenario for them (he magically is OK with a limited JaVale-like role and won't complain), he's still not going to be the reason why the Warriors win and lose. I don't even see them having interest in him; I think they would have a lot more interest in Brook Lopez, honestly.

Better put, a team like Golden State has far more to lose by bringing him in than it can gain. It's just not worth the baggage.

I don't know what's more comical, that GS would be signing Dwight to be a Javale McGee replacement, or that GS might prefer Javale McGee
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
32 wrote:

yeah that would be great. But I'm not sure if he wants to retire in Miami.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

I don't know what's more comical, that GS would be signing Dwight to be a Javale McGee replacement, or that GS might prefer Javale McGee

Normally I wouldn't give Dwight a second thought... but now that he's in budget ring chasing mode... he's a worry.

Houston has Capela... and some history

Toronto has Valanciunas, Serge, Poeltl

OKC has Adams and Roberson

Jazz have Gobert

Pelicans have Davis... maybe Boogie still

Spurs probably wouldn't sign him

Timberwolves have KAT

Sixers have Embiid

Pacers have Turner/Sabonis/Jefferson

Heat has Whiteside

Bucks have Giannis

So if he's ring chasing... he can go supplement Nurkic in Portland... provide cover for MPJ in Denver... replace Baynes or replace McGee/Looney... or play for us

This isn't paranoia on my part... this is what likely will happen.

My thoughts are... don't let him go to Boston or GSW.

If he goes anywhere else... fine.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:

Trash and he doesnt fit.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
32 wrote:

Yeah. But would be nice to have our Shaun Livingston and at a position of need.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject:

greek laker wrote:
i m starting to have that irrational feeling that our true target is chris paul

Not the target but if Paul George falls through, GM James may want to make it a package deal.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
32 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
32 wrote:

Worked really well for Cleveland. :/

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject:

A couple of things.

The Carroll trade to the Nets, and the Calderon trade to us was done after the draft. Most of the time, trades done on draft night are for players getting drafted that night.

Second, why would OKC trade Melo. They aren't going to have capspace if they sign PG, and stretching him over 3 years is better than giving up a couple of second rounders to move him.
omzzzzz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject:

If there’s one thing that really surprised me last night, it’s that more teams didn’t try and move bad contracts for draft picks. Especially Philly, who has
enough picks to move Bayless and open up a max slot.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject:

If Atlanta really wants to drop Dennis Schroder for nothing, would rather trade Deng for Schroder than Melo.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
32 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
32 wrote:

Worked really well for Cleveland. :/

He wasn’t that bad. 46% from field. Had a couple big games. Just a backup vet for us.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2047, 2048, 2049 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 2048 of 2680
Jump to: