OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2055, 2056, 2057 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirby Brian
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject:

Wildchild027 wrote:
CantStopJM wrote:
June 29th is the date that matters first. That's Lebron's opt in date. If he opts out, good news which means it's most likely between us and the Cavs. Opts in, he's going to Houston.

LeBron is making his decision on his website. It's hard to create drama by opting in.

Is he going to do it on Kobe's website the same way Durant and Hayward did...the player's tribune?
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
scoobs wrote:
] The thinking behind such a trade would be to allow us to sign James, George and Randle without having to stretch Deng and cripple our cap for the next 5 years. 7.6 million per year is a lot of money, even with the cap going up a little bit every year.

If we stretch Deng, his $7.6m will have no impact on our cap...

We would only stretch him if we need the space for 2 max contracts and at that point, we wouldn't have cap-room for the next 5 years anyway.

Negative, ghost rider.

The reality of the situation is $7.6 won't impact our ability to sign future FAs because we will be capped out anyway.

It will just push us deeper into the luxury tax.

If you were only meaning after this year, perhaps. But having that on the books just for this year absolutely would affect us. For one thing, it automatically means you have to renounce Randle's cap hold, shutting down any chance on his return. For another, it would take away any chance of trading for a 3rd star, because we just don't have enough space to be able to accommodate more salary. In addition, even if we renounced Randle and didn't make a trade, it would take away the ability to use that money on a meaningful player that could help us for this coming season.

I mean, we'd stretch him as a last resort, I'm sure, but I'm guessing that Maginka really don't want to stretch him.

There is no doubt that stretching Deng would have a major impact this year. It also means that we are signing 2 stars and will be at or above the salary cap moving forward.

I also wouldn't say we are automatically renouncing Randle's cap-hold because I don't think it is out of the question that 2 stars each take $2.5m discount to keep him. There also could be the chance that Randle actually signs a deal below his cap-hold amount.
RusselDoeee01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
if free agency comes up snake eyes in regards to star players.....there will be very team friendly deals to be had that could still improve our team next season. Some players that may be in a situation where the money is simply not out there for them this summer....

JJ Redick - Philly picked up three perimeter players that are either good shooters or in theory good shooters in Zhaire Smith, Landry Shamet, and Shake Milton. I doubt they will want to invest significant money into Redick. If not, he will be lucky to get a 2 or 4 year MLE offer in my opinion this summer.

Trevor Ariza - UFA - I think Houston will ultimately bring him back, but if they have to max out Capella....they may just decide to let him exit. He will likely be in a similar situation to Redick if Houston will not pay him.

Tyreke Evans - UFA - The Grizz may use their MLE the keep him....but if they pass, he may be seeking a Room Exception type contract.

Will Barton - UFA - He likely will be looking for a full MLE type offer....but if one does not present itself, he could be forced into very team friendly deal.

Avery Bradley - UFA - I think his time with the Clippers may be ending with the Clippers recent draft. It seems half their roster is now combo guards. He will likely be seeking a full MLE type deal....but it may not be there.

Wayne Ellington - UFA - Miami will have Early Bird Rights, and that should be enough to keep him.....but it will put them very close to the tax.

Kentavious Caldwell-Pope - UFA - Similar to others. the type of offer he desires will likely not be available. No more $18 Million deals from the Lakers.

Brook Lopez - UFA - Much will depend on what the Lakers plan on doing with the young 5's on the roster. I expect the market to be cool for Lopez.

Rodney Hood - RFA - if he is hanging out on the market, and there is doubt the Cavs are interested in paying him....he would be worth a under market type deal.

Elfrid Payton - RFA - There is some speculation that the Suns do not have much interest and may not start a traditional PG. If he in on the market without an offer, and we still do not have a backup PG.....he is better than Ennis.

Nerlens Noel - UFA - If his market is cool as expected, would provide a true rim protector.

Marco Belinelli - UFA - If the 76'ers do not bring him back, he may be seeking a Room Exception type deal.

I would not want to "punt" more than enough for a single max deal, and if players are obtained on value deals, they will also be solid trade pieces if needed.

Tyreke is the best player available. He probably could start over Lonzo even tho we know that won’t happen.
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
scoobs wrote:
] The thinking behind such a trade would be to allow us to sign James, George and Randle without having to stretch Deng and cripple our cap for the next 5 years. 7.6 million per year is a lot of money, even with the cap going up a little bit every year.

If we stretch Deng, his $7.6m will have no impact on our cap...

We would only stretch him if we need the space for 2 max contracts and at that point, we wouldn't have cap-room for the next 5 years anyway.

the 7.6 million would count against the cap the next 5 years, that's big....to say it doesn't is patently false.

kupchak really screwed them over with those '16 deals.
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Newest news is that Philly is clearing cap space or working to do so.

They are also now a favorite to land Kawhi from San Antonio.

I'd expect tomorrow the story will be "Can Philly land Kawhi and LeBron?" because that's how these flip floppy stuff goes.

no one wants to play there. hard core fans and solid young core, but city is a pit.
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject:

Kirby Brian wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
CantStopJM wrote:
June 29th is the date that matters first. That's Lebron's opt in date. If he opts out, good news which means it's most likely between us and the Cavs. Opts in, he's going to Houston.

LeBron is making his decision on his website. It's hard to create drama by opting in.

Is he going to do it on Kobe's website the same way Durant and Hayward did...the player's tribune?

No, he's doing on his platform, Uninterrupted.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject:

Sean Cunningham

Verified account

@SeanCunningham
Follow
Follow @SeanCunningham

More
Sacramento native (Laguna Creek HS) & San Diego State star Malik Pope will be joining the Los Angeles Lakers for Summer League,according to sources. That means he'll be playing in his hometown during the California Classic - before heading to Vegas.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Sean Cunningham

Verified account

@SeanCunningham
Follow
Follow @SeanCunningham

More
Sacramento native (Laguna Creek HS) & San Diego State star Malik Pope will be joining the Los Angeles Lakers for Summer League,according to sources. That means he'll be playing in his hometown during the California Classic - before heading to Vegas.

Nice. I know some here were really high on him a year or 2 ago.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Sean Cunningham

Verified account

@SeanCunningham
Follow
Follow @SeanCunningham

More

Nice. I know some here were really high on him a year or 2 ago.

Yeah, I remember him being talked about in the draft threads over the past couple of years, more before this year's thread, though.
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers Sign Malik Pope To Summer League Lakers

Sean Cunningham Verified account @SeanCunningham Follow Follow @SeanCunningham

Sacramento native (Laguna Creek HS) & San Diego State star Malik Pope will be joining the Los Angeles Lakers for Summer League, according to sources. That means he'll be playing in his hometown during the California Classic - before heading to Vegas.

https://twitter.com/SeanCunningham/status/1010713612132839424
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject:

I always had the feeling the Lakers were gonna take a flyer on Pope. I didn't think it would stayed in school this long though.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject:

LEonard in PHila is a great fit.

If he likes it there, cool. He’ll resign with the Sixers next summer. Fine.

If he doesn’t like it, cool too. He’ll sign with the Lakers next summer. Great.

This is whatnot I do know though: If the Lakers sign James and George to 4 million under max deals, let Randle walk, and subsequently create 26 million in space for next summer (after a Deng’s dump), the Sixers will Ben shaking in their boots. If the LAkers make these moves before he is traded to Phila, the threat of the LAKers signing him outright in 2019 may just be enough to prevent Phila from even making a deal to begin with.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:07 am    Post subject:

RusselDoeee01 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
if free agency comes up snake eyes in regards to star players.....there will be very team friendly deals to be had that could still improve our team next season. Some players that may be in a situation where the money is simply not out there for them this summer....

JJ Redick - Philly picked up three perimeter players that are either good shooters or in theory good shooters in Zhaire Smith, Landry Shamet, and Shake Milton. I doubt they will want to invest significant money into Redick. If not, he will be lucky to get a 2 or 4 year MLE offer in my opinion this summer.

Trevor Ariza - UFA - I think Houston will ultimately bring him back, but if they have to max out Capella....they may just decide to let him exit. He will likely be in a similar situation to Redick if Houston will not pay him.

Tyreke Evans - UFA - The Grizz may use their MLE the keep him....but if they pass, he may be seeking a Room Exception type contract.

Will Barton - UFA - He likely will be looking for a full MLE type offer....but if one does not present itself, he could be forced into very team friendly deal.

Avery Bradley - UFA - I think his time with the Clippers may be ending with the Clippers recent draft. It seems half their roster is now combo guards. He will likely be seeking a full MLE type deal....but it may not be there.

Wayne Ellington - UFA - Miami will have Early Bird Rights, and that should be enough to keep him.....but it will put them very close to the tax.

Kentavious Caldwell-Pope - UFA - Similar to others. the type of offer he desires will likely not be available. No more $18 Million deals from the Lakers.

Brook Lopez - UFA - Much will depend on what the Lakers plan on doing with the young 5's on the roster. I expect the market to be cool for Lopez.

Rodney Hood - RFA - if he is hanging out on the market, and there is doubt the Cavs are interested in paying him....he would be worth a under market type deal.

Elfrid Payton - RFA - There is some speculation that the Suns do not have much interest and may not start a traditional PG. If he in on the market without an offer, and we still do not have a backup PG.....he is better than Ennis.

Nerlens Noel - UFA - If his market is cool as expected, would provide a true rim protector.

Marco Belinelli - UFA - If the 76'ers do not bring him back, he may be seeking a Room Exception type deal.

I would not want to "punt" more than enough for a single max deal, and if players are obtained on value deals, they will also be solid trade pieces if needed.

Tyreke is the best player available. He probably could start over Lonzo even tho we know that won’t happen.

Evans will be a good signing as he can play 3 positions including pg which is a problem area for us. Barton is going to want too much money as he turned down a good offer from the Nuggets. Ariza and Bradley will be too much money and years. Noel would be a low risk/high reward signing. Sign him to a team option for the 2nd year. One player we should really look at is Looney. The Warriors can not offer him over 2.5. He would be a very good signing.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:13 am    Post subject:

Zach LaVine an Option? Bulls unwilling to match big offer in RFA?

According to ESPN.com's Nick Friedell, "the near-universal support LaVine once had internally isn't there anymore," and the front office will not blindly match any offer sheet he signs. Friedell noted the Bulls "will wait to see if he can find big [money] elsewhere first and then decide if they want to match."

(5:50)

So.... anyone up for a backcourt of Lonzo and LaVine?

Also

Quote:
Mavs will forgive Deandre Jordan: expected to pursue him in Free Agency

@fishsports
EXCLUSIVE: Source - #Mavs would 'forgive' DeAndre Jordan; The path to how he'd help the @DallasMavs rebuild (link: https://247sports.com/Article/Source-Dallas-Mavs-would-forgive-DeAndre-Jordan-The-path-to-how-hed-help-the-rebuild-119283599/

PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:43 am    Post subject:

hard pass on each of them
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:44 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

According to ESPN.com's Nick Friedell, "the near-universal support LaVine once had internally isn't there anymore," and the front office will not blindly match any offer sheet he signs. Friedell noted the Bulls "will wait to see if he can find big [money] elsewhere first and then decide if they want to match."

Also

Quote:

@fishsports
EXCLUSIVE: Source - #Mavs would 'forgive' DeAndre Jordan; The path to how he'd help the @DallasMavs rebuild (link: https://247sports.com/Article/Source-Dallas-Mavs-would-forgive-DeAndre-Jordan-The-path-to-how-hed-help-the-rebuild-119283599/

I've been a Zach Lavine fan since he moved to the 2 spot from the 1.

Preinjury he was 86%ile on catch and shoot and 79%ile on transition. Two things he would get lots of opportunities in here. His numbers dropped last year as he was trying to play into rhythm. He did increase his pnr handler %ile to 70+ last year while raising his FTr to 30%+ which surprised me especially after coming off injury. He didn't seem hesitant at all. I think he comes back strong offensively this year.

The 2 questions are:
1. Is he back to 100% health wise
2. Can he play smart team defense

His max is $25.2 M. I don't think you go that price for him.
And then at what price does Chicago match?
Seems like too much of a headache to play the RFA game with them.

I would take Zach at $19M though.
El Seano
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject:

'Melo literally trolling OKC fans on social media after opting into the 28 million is absolutely priceless.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:13 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
MJST wrote:

Also

Quote:

@fishsports

Preinjury he was 86%ile on catch and shoot and 79%ile on transition. Two things he would get lots of opportunities in here. His numbers dropped last year as he was trying to play into rhythm. He did increase his pnr handler %ile to 70+ last year while raising his FTr to 30%+ which surprised me especially after coming off injury. He didn't seem hesitant at all. I think he comes back strong offensively this year.

The 2 questions are:

If the Lakers struck out in Free Agency, getting LaVine for 17-19M, Chicago not matching, and re-signing Randle would be a fine off-season, the only thing is we'd need to get a center, or this would be the year we see what Zubac's got as a starting center in this league. We'd probably re-sign Isaiah Thomas after that to his low cap hold in a 1+1 deal.

The roster would look like this

Lonzo Ball
Zach LaVine
Brandon Ingram
Julius Randle
Ivica Zubac

Bench:
Isaiah Thomas
Josh Hart
Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk
Kyle Kuzma / Channing Frye
Mo Wagner / Thomas Bryant

we'd also have a lot of money left over to spend in free agency, especially if we still stretched Deng, and there's a couple of Free Agents out there such as Dedmon and other role players, etc.

I'd say Chicago matches anything 16M or below for LaVine.
mixtim
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject:

Ball-Lavine would be the worst shooting starting backourt duo in the league by a mile
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
epak wrote:
MJST wrote:

Also

Quote:

@fishsports

The 2 questions are:

If the Lakers struck out in Free Agency, getting LaVine for 17-19M, Chicago not matching, and re-signing Randle would be a fine off-season, the only thing is we'd need to get a center, or this would be the year we see what Zubac's got as a starting center in this league. We'd probably re-sign Isaiah Thomas after that to his low cap hold in a 1+1 deal.

Lonzo Ball
Zach LaVine
Brandon Ingram
Julius Randle
Ivica Zubac

Bench:
Isaiah Thomas
Josh Hart
Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk

we'd also have a lot of money left over to spend in free agency, especially if we still stretched Deng, and there's a couple of Free Agents out there such as Dedmon and other role players, etc.

If we missed out on free agents, we wouldn’t stretch deng.

Dedmon opted into his deal. He’s not a FA.

If we are giving Lavine $19M, I’m going to throw up in my mouth.

Last edited by HOF Rookie on Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:08 am; edited 1 time in total
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject:

HOF Rookie wrote:

Desmond opted into his deal. He’s not a FA.

Also, we're not missing out. It's all ceremonial now & an act of God is the only thing that can stop LBJ, or LBJ + PG, or LBJ + CP from coming.
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject:

cyborgspider wrote:
HOF Rookie wrote:

Desmond opted into his deal. He’s not a FA.

Also, we're not missing out. It's all ceremonial now & an act of God is the only thing that can stop LBJ, or LBJ + PG, or LBJ + CP from coming.

I agree, but wanted to play along. Nothing wrong with a plan B or C
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject:

It's amazing how Amick's two tweets yesterday has controlled the narrative on social media this weekend. It's still going strong on twitter.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
It's amazing how Amick's two tweets yesterday has controlled the narrative on social media this weekend. It's still going strong on twitter.

That's good for us, less likely that beeyatches like Gilbert can whine tampering.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
epak wrote:
MJST wrote:

Also

Quote:

@fishsports

The 2 questions are:

Lonzo Ball
Zach LaVine
Brandon Ingram
Julius Randle
Ivica Zubac

Bench:
Isaiah Thomas
Josh Hart
Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk

I think so little of Lavine that i would rather Hart started at the sg

17-19 million...that's outrageous
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2055, 2056, 2057 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 2056 of 2680
Jump to: