OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 214, 215, 216 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
davidse wrote:
We have the cap room for George.
Magic could just be preparing us for the possibility that we'll stop there, keep our your core, and won't necessarily make the extra steps we'd need to make to create and use another max slot.

I would be very happy with PG13, but if the dream is to punt a max into 2019, that means we can't extend Jules, so we have to trade him? And what to do with Brook/KCP? The latter already took a 1 year punt deal.

Imo, recent years have proven that great value deals > cap room when it comes to getting star players.

And looking at next year's free agent market, I think the conditions are right for us to be able to sign Randle to a very good value deal.

Plus the dumping price tag for Deng drops with each passing season or even months...

Not saying this is where this goes, or even that I prefer it, but it's very possible that this is what Magic meant, because you know any Lebron scenario includes maximizing cap room and assets for win now.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
davidse wrote:
Magic could just be preparing us for the possibility that we'll stop there, keep our your core, and won't necessarily make the extra steps we'd need to make to create and use another max slot.

I would be very happy with PG13, but if the dream is to punt a max into 2019, that means we can't extend Jules, so we have to trade him? And what to do with Brook/KCP? The latter already took a 1 year punt deal.

If PG is in KCP is out. Brook ? Don’t know.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Wait. The whole deal was we had to clear room for two guys because there was this backroom deal, and I wasn't supposed to judge the trade until we saw whether they got the two max guys. We're two months into the season and already that's getting shelved?

Guess LeBron told Magic “nevermind”.

Magic’s a hype man. All talk. He hasn’t really delivered anything he’s hyped up last summer.

Last edited by Nash Vegas on Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject:

deal wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
davidse wrote:

It's weird to say, but you still need Brook. There's still a lot of big dudes at C out there, and Lopez is capable of competently staying on the floor.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject:

davidse wrote:

But we already did...
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
deal wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
davidse wrote:

It's weird to say, but you still need Brook. There's still a lot of big dudes at C out there, and Lopez is capable of competently staying on the floor.

Regardless of any backroom dealings or promises, it's not unthinkable that Lopez would choose to take a room exception contract from us, (or a 1 year deal for any excess cap room we'll have) to preserve his bird rights. Kind of like what Shabazz did this summer even though we probably offered him more money than the Wolves.

Lopez could have Mle size offers and opt for that, but it's not impossible that he'd prefer a possible long term future here or testing free agency a year later when the market is probably better for bigs.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
davidse wrote:

But we already did...

Which is how we got the cap room for George...

You know that had that package been able to get us George straight up - they would have done it.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject:

^We'll have to see how much he loves his hometown.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject:

My only concern is I'm not 100% sold that PG13 comes by himself. If he does, great. Just had a feeling that it'll take another star or group of vets to come with him.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
davidse wrote:

If they decided on the George "only" FA plan. How many players from this current roster could be kept assuming reasonable contracts?

Wouldn't it realistic to keep the majority? Only KCP stands out to me as not realistic. Only because George basically takes his role on the team. Would there be a way financially to re-sign him for a backup role?

KCP currently playing about 35mpg. Perhaps George reduced to around 30mpg and KCP willing to reduce to 20-24mpg by absorbing Brewer's mins and use a split of Ball and Clarkson at PG.

Somehow rolling over the 12-14 of the 17 man roster? Maybe adding a min vet or two but more relying on chemistry and development.

Just spitballing here. But I would love to see some continuity. Being one of those teams next year that is stable instead of significant roster turnover.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
^We'll have to see how much he loves his hometown.

Just saying that the alternatives are unlikely to include an 8 figure yearly salary which could impact his decision.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject:

These things are so fluid because of calculated Lebron. I’m sure one day he has Magic all jacked up, feeling good and then the next day a little less confident. That’s how Lebron rolls.

Who knows what PG13 is thinking these days. My guess is he still has a dream of saving the lakers but obviously he could get over that quick. Cousins seems interested too but there are questions with him.

I guess the positive for now is that Clarkson and Randle are performing really well and looking like keepers tbh. Long way to go. The rumors will change and unchange 3000 times between now and next summer.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
davidse wrote:

If they decided on the George "only" FA plan. How many players from this current roster could be kept assuming reasonable contracts?

Wouldn't it realistic to keep the majority? Only KCP stands out to me as not realistic. Only because George basically takes his role on the team. Would there be a way financially to re-sign him for a backup role?

KCP currently playing about 35mpg. Perhaps George reduced to around 30mpg and KCP willing to reduce to 20-24mpg by absorbing Brewer's mins and use a split of Ball and Clarkson at PG.

Somehow rolling over the 12-14 of the 17 man roster? Maybe adding a min vet or two but more relying on chemistry and development.

Just spitballing here. But I would love to see some continuity. Being one of those teams next year that is stable instead of significant roster turnover.

Assuming PG13 is 100% committed to joining the Lakers regardless, AND if the plan is to punt to 2019, I would be curious to see how it goes. IIRC if we just renounce our FAs (including Jules), we would have around 47m in cap space this summer. PG13 would take 30 of that so we would have 17m. Theoretically, could keep Jules' b/c his cap hold is 12.4-5m, but then he'd want an extension. That would eat into the 2019 plan. So this is why it gets dicey to want 1 max + 2019 max. And do you think Klay is leaving a championship core Warriors team? I don't see it. I don't think a 30 year old Jimmy Butler is worth a probably then-37m year max either.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject:

I don't think a long term team of just PG13 + JC/extended Jules is enough to be a top 3 team in the West.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Magic is walking back his two max player plan. He said if they only get one, they can preserve the money for the following season's FA class. He mentions how well just adding Kyrie to the young Celtics has worked out for them.

http://www.lakersnation.com/nba-free-agency-magic-johnson-lakers-cap-space-two-max-contracts/2017/12/11/

I personally like this idea. If we only add PG13 and get to watch our young core grow, I'll be more than happy with that.

I am just glad there are signs that the FO is not blindly committed to any plan until we see how things and players....well play out.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
The good out weighs the bad with Cousins. You just can't pass with arguably the best center in the league.

The last time that the best center in the league won a title was 2003.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
Magic is walking back his two max player plan. He said if they only get one, they can preserve the money for the following season's FA class. He mentions how well just adding Kyrie to the young Celtics has worked out for them.

http://www.lakersnation.com/nba-free-agency-magic-johnson-lakers-cap-space-two-max-contracts/2017/12/11/

I personally like this idea. If we only add PG13 and get to watch our young core grow, I'll be more than happy with that.

I am just glad there are signs that the FO is not blindly committed to any plan until we see how things and players....well play out.

That's the way it should have always been.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Nate Duncan and Leroux in their podcast brought up an interesting theory. Nate doesn't think Lonzo/LBJ work out, and that if we got LBJ, they may have to trade Lonzo.

I have heard more than one media/talking head/former player speculate that if Lebron goes to LA, Lonzo will likely be playing in another city. I do not know if it is true, but it makes some sense on the court....Lebron has little use for a primary facilitator that is not a good shooter. That is Lebrons role, although he is a better facilitator and shooter. If Ball could become a much better shooter, and would play off ball....that may change the fit.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
How good can Noel be? .

Still think he has the talent to be a defensive monster...his ability to defend in space, ability to switch and block shots with both hands makes him unique.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
Illyasova with a nice game last night for the Hawks

There are actually a pretty good number of FA shooters this summer - I hope that we pick up at least 2

Have you seen the Hawks roster....I think you and I could put up 7 & 5 a night.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Nate Duncan and Leroux in their podcast brought up an interesting theory. Nate doesn't think Lonzo/LBJ work out, and that if we got LBJ, they may have to trade Lonzo.

I have heard more than one media/talking head/former player speculate that if Lebron goes to LA, Lonzo will likely be playing in another city. I do not know if it is true, but it makes some sense on the court....Lebron has little use for a primary facilitator that is not a good shooter. That is Lebrons role, although he is a better facilitator and shooter. If Ball could become a much better shooter, and would play off ball....that may change the fit.

I don’t buy this for one reason: you could say the same thing for philly with Simmons. I just don’t see lakers or philly giving up either player this early into their careers and not for a 33 year old, no matter how great Lebron is. Just my opinion, though. Maybe Magic thinks otherwise.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject:

davidse wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

At this point, while I acknowledge that LBJ is the best player of the 2018 FAs, I may be leaning more to a PG13/Boogie/Jules/room exception summer b/c I think it's holistically a better fit all around. Of course I'll take LBJ if he comes but it would be interesting to see what happens with Lonzo with LBJ as he is a ball dominant player. Lonzo could play off ball but his shooting obviously leaves much to be desired.

In any scenario where we get Boogie, it makes even less sense to keep Randle over Clarkson.

unless Nance is moved?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yeah, people forget that one point, LBJ had:

Kyrie
JR Smith (the killer shooter version)
Love
Korver
Frye

amongst others surrounding him as shooters. Love Ingram's improvement, but he'll need to pick it up from outside too (and Lonzo is just lost right now there).
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Wait. The whole deal was we had to clear room for two guys because there was this backroom deal, and I wasn't supposed to judge the trade until we saw whether they got the two max guys. We're two months into the season and already that's getting shelved?

Guess LeBron told Magic “nevermind”.

Magic’s a hype man. All talk. He hasn’t really delivered anything he’s hyped up last summer.

I like the enthusiasm he brings but it is hollow.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
davidse wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

At this point, while I acknowledge that LBJ is the best player of the 2018 FAs, I may be leaning more to a PG13/Boogie/Jules/room exception summer b/c I think it's holistically a better fit all around. Of course I'll take LBJ if he comes but it would be interesting to see what happens with Lonzo with LBJ as he is a ball dominant player. Lonzo could play off ball but his shooting obviously leaves much to be desired.

In any scenario where we get Boogie, it makes even less sense to keep Randle over Clarkson.

unless Nance is moved?

Nance + 10 mil $ in cap room > Randle.

Never mind minutes for Ingram and Kuzma.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 214, 215, 216 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 215 of 2680
Jump to: