OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 216, 217, 218 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
FWIW, I agree with Magic that they shouldn't be tied to 2 maxes, in fact, I didn't think they should go for that now anyway, given the teams that are currently out there. One of the reasons I didn't hate the MozDeng deals (although I wanted Deng's to be much shorter given the mileage) is that the Lakers have a great young core that needs to grow together for a few years before they are really ready to add the big piece or pieces, and you can then move more defined assets to get that done.

Ingram and Lonzo and Kuzma are a couple years away from being a couple years away from being core title pieces (although I think all of them have a great chance of being that), and I'd like to either have or extract the most value out of Randle Clarkson and Dlo, which you have the time to do if you're not salary dumping for a quick double max rebuild.

Is Magic creating some distance from the 2018 two Max plan because:

1. Back channels have informed him that one of the free agents that he was counting on is having second thoughts?

2. A 2019 free agent has raised his hand and asked them to save a spot for him?

3. Magic realizes that the young players aren't going to be ready enough to get the most use of two 2018 Max free agents?

4. Some other reason?
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
FWIW, I agree with Magic that they shouldn't be tied to 2 maxes, in fact, I didn't think they should go for that now anyway, given the teams that are currently out there. One of the reasons I didn't hate the MozDeng deals (although I wanted Deng's to be much shorter given the mileage) is that the Lakers have a great young core that needs to grow together for a few years before they are really ready to add the big piece or pieces, and you can then move more defined assets to get that done.

Ingram and Lonzo and Kuzma are a couple years away from being a couple years away from being core title pieces (although I think all of them have a great chance of being that), and I'd like to either have or extract the most value out of Randle Clarkson and Dlo, which you have the time to do if you're not salary dumping for a quick double max rebuild.

1. Back channels have informed him that one of the free agents that he was counting on is having second thoughts?

3. Magic realizes that the young players aren't going to be ready enough to get the most use of two 2018 Max free agents?

4. Some other reason?

Going with #4.

FO seeing a more interesting potential roster then expected. Unexpectedly willing to be bit more patient and watch them grow together.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

4. Some other reason?

Anyone telling you they know entirely for sure is lying to you, but it is pretty clear Magic doesn't say things without specific intent (either selling a vision or in the case of Lonzo, a misdirection). In this case he is clearly selling a reduced expectation. Could mean he's hearing something, could also just mean he's learning on the job
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

4. Some other reason?

Anyone telling you they know entirely for sure is lying to you, but it is pretty clear Magic doesn't say things without specific intent (either selling a vision or in the case of Lonzo, a misdirection). In this case he is clearly selling a reduced expectation. Could mean he's hearing something, could also just mean he's learning on the job

Isn't this what they were saying from the start?
Yes they mentioned they would have space for 2 max guys.
But I thought they mentioned early on that they would have to see and in no way guaranteed they were getting 2 max guys. I thought the latter was a fandom dream/hope... yet still possible.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
32 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
my guess is if the trading deadline passes, and George and Cousins remain on their current teams......those FO's at least feel they have an even or better chance at retaining them. Other FO's also have connections and back channels for insight.

Not necessarily. I think the playoffs are the priority for both of those teams this season. Doesn't mean they will be able to retain them in free agency.

right, nothing is for certain,,,,definitely not "my guesses"....but if I am GM and people are telling me that it is likely that Cousins is bolting, and I know I am capped out either way....I think I would consider some assets like Clarkson and Randle in return...or even Hart, Randle and Brewer. Same situation with George. It is just how I would act if in that position.

Right. Unless you seek to tank (which doesn't seem possible b/c you have WB and AD). JC/Jules have played their way into being a respectable trade asset. Could get 1/salary relief (i.e. Brewer)/2nd rounder.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

4. Some other reason?

But I thought they mentioned early on that they would have to see and in no way guaranteed they were getting 2 max guys. I thought the latter was a fandom dream/hope... yet still possible.

They were playing the two max card pretty hard (remember, that was the prime thing people hung support of the DLo trade on) both directly and through channels. They made a couple of tepid statements about things not being for sure (primarily after the tampering accusations surfaced), but they were pretty bullish on their ability to close. They definitely weren't selling, "we're going to talk a lot of (bleep) and basically come back to the reality Mitch was accepting".
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

4. Some other reason?

But it felt extreme to give up so early on D'LO, a #2 pick, virtually having nothing to show for the struggles of of the 14/15 season. That's where the expectations of 2 max guys come from.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
not sure if anyone has noticed....but Jrue Holiday and E'Twaun Moore have been playing really well the last few weeks...and if they continue to play well in combination with AD remaining mostly healthy....the Pelicans have a chance to be pretty solid....and increase the chances they go all in with a commitment / offer to Cousins.

true words

they're also relatively recently incorporated rondo into the mix
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

I mostly agree....shortcuts do not seem to work as well as they once did in the NBA.

I look at it this way.....who are the most excited fan bases in the NBA right now? Philly? Boston? Milwaukee? Houston? even Brooklyn fans seem pretty excited compared to previous years. Besides Houston, all those teams are mostly excited about young internally developed talented youth. (Boston 50/50) I think it would have been a fun ride with Ball, DLo, Ingram, Randle, Clarkson, Kuzma, Nance, Zubac etc., and those guys would have likely been ready to contend at the ideal time. At that point, you can look at your talent pool, overlaps, and make a deal to bring in a piece or two to fill a hole(s).

If Ball, Dlo, Ingram, Randle and Kuzma reached their ceilings, each have the potential to be top 10 players at their position...a couple even top 5.

Last edited by adkindo on Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject:

Any of the 4 is possible and like Omar said anyone saying they know is lying. The vibe to me is it’s the way Clarkson/Randle are playing coupled with some back and forth in the media (Lebron to philly or houston).

Magic could also be playing the media game. Basically, telling interested teams that Clarkson or Randle won’t come cheap. Seems to me a few rival GMs think they can take advantage of Magic so this might be a cat and mouse type game with other teams as well as with prospective FAs.

No one knows for sure, though.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
my guess is if the trading deadline passes, and George and Cousins remain on their current teams......those FO's at least feel they have an even or better chance at retaining them. Other FO's also have connections and back channels for insight.

I don’t see either player being traded during the season
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Any of the 4 is possible and like Omar said anyone saying they know is lying. The vibe to me is it’s the way Clarkson/Randle are playing coupled with some back and forth in the media (Lebron to philly or houston).

Magic could also be playing the media game. Basically, telling interested teams that Clarkson or Randle won’t come cheap. Seems to me a few rival GMs thunk they can take advantage of Magic so this might be a cat and mouse type game with other teams as well as prospective FAs.

I would bet you that nobody outside of himself, his wife, and maybe Rich Paul know how or what Lebron is thinking....and none of them will tip their hand to anyone.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject:

davidse wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
davidse wrote:
adkindo wrote:
davidse wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Nate Duncan and Leroux in their podcast brought up an interesting theory. Nate doesn't think Lonzo/LBJ work out, and that if we got LBJ, they may have to trade Lonzo.

At this point, while I acknowledge that LBJ is the best player of the 2018 FAs, I may be leaning more to a PG13/Boogie/Jules/room exception summer b/c I think it's holistically a better fit all around. Of course I'll take LBJ if he comes but it would be interesting to see what happens with Lonzo with LBJ as he is a ball dominant player. Lonzo could play off ball but his shooting obviously leaves much to be desired.

In any scenario where we get Boogie, it makes even less sense to keep Randle over Clarkson.

unless Nance is moved?

Nance + 10 mil $ in cap room > Randle.

Never mind minutes for Ingram and Kuzma.

You won’t get a player of Randle’s caliber for $10 mil and if Ingram and Kuzma can’t earn minutes, that is on them.

So now Nance is "magically" out of the equation, ha ?

Anyway, wrong way of looking at it.

You don't need to get a player of Randle's caliber for 10 mil $ for this to be a good move.

You need to be able to build a better roster with Nance, and an ADDITIONAL 10 mil $ in cap room (after already having signed Cousins) than you'd have with only Randle added to Cousins instead - which you absolutely will because there are only so many minutes to go around in the front court while the backcourt is super thin.

Nance shouldn’t be part of the equation
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
But it felt extreme to give up so early on D'LO, a #2 pick, virtually having nothing to show for the struggles of of the 14/15 season. That's where the expectations of 2 max guys come from.

I think that was the toughest part for many of us....as far as fandom goes, we suffered and paid a high price for these recent top draft picks....it's hard to give any of them away before we know what they will become.

I am selfish....I didn't even want to give up on Anthony Brown (especially for MWP).
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject:

Why would Lebron play with two of the greatest playmakers of all time in Harden and CP3 in a high-octane offense surrounded by snipers when he could kick it out to Lonzo shooting 27% from three?

Magic did not plan this two-max idea through.

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Magic could also be playing the media game. Basically, telling interested teams that Clarkson or Randle won’t come cheap. Seems to me a few rival GMs thunk they can take advantage of Magic so this might be a cat and mouse type game with other teams as well as prospective FAs.

I would bet you that nobody outside of himself, his wife, and maybe Rich Paul know how or what Lebron is thinking....and none of them will tip their hand to anyone.

I would bet that Lebron has no idea what he is going to do right now. That is how he has historically operated.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

lebron has always been the biggest pipe - I've personally never really considered it an option

PG is probably our only realistic shot at a max guy this year
Omar Little

Nance is a tough one for them. Setting aside the fact that they seem to love him far beyond his on court contribution and fit (only seems to work with Lopez), his value vs salary isn't that great for trades. He's neither the key piece of sweetener to dump a bad contract nor is he large enough to provide any contract relief himself.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Nance is a tough one for them. Setting aside the fact that they seem to love him far beyond his on court contribution and fit (only seems to work with Lopez), his value vs salary isn't that great for trades. He's neither the key piece of sweetener to dump a bad contract nor is he large enough to provide any contract relief himself.

Nance + a first could be enough to get rid of Deng?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I would bet that Lebron has no idea what he is going to do right now. That is how he has historically operated.

so he claims...I never really bought it...I think this guy is extremely strategic, measured, and has a pretty good idea what he will be doing next year, in 5 years, 10 years, etc.....but he absolutely loves leverage and control.....and once you tip your hand in any direction, leverage and control begin to erode.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

I don’t see Nance moving the needle. I like him and if we keep him then fine, if not fine. He doesn’t bring value that is hard to replace. Randle can guard 1-5, that is valuable.
Omar Little

PHILosophize wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Did you read the word neither and think that meant either?
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

Bard207 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

4. Some other reason?

if i had to pick one, id go with 2, he did hint at 19 free agency in his interview after all. its just bad that the numbers dont add up with Randle staying long term
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

And what happens if we strike out (again) in FA this year and lose ANOTHER high lottery pick?

I think the loss of this year's pick won't hit Laker fans until lottery night. What a devastating blow for a rebuilding franchise. Would hate to willingly set us back again losing another pick for a CHANCE to be mediocre (because adding PG13 to this team makes them a first round exit.)

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Did you read the word neither and think that meant either?

No I just think that's possible - the 1st would be the key sweetener and he would be the secondary sweetener.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 216, 217, 218 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 217 of 2680
Jump to: