OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 232, 233, 234 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
davidse wrote:
That said, I think theyr'e also a potential destination for Randle.

How do you see Randle being traded to NY and for what package?

Obvious one is expirings + 1st rounder, but there's some flexibility there, depending on how much we/they like Hernangomez.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
They are for one more season assuming Melo opts in. They could try to negotiate a longer term less dollar per deal with him or pay the repeater tax for one season and let him walk.

Once they fill roster spots, will be at or above the luxury line. Could decide not to go above it, but does a WB/Melo/Adams team really do much damage? Would be wasting one of WB's prime years to duck luxury tax and future repeater tax. Not a good look for them.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject:

davidse wrote:
I think the Knicks are a threat for George.

Could think they have a decent shot of convincing him to stay, and they have cap room to gain if he leaves.

Hardaway Jr, Lee
for
George, Roberson

If George truly wants to win. (and I believe he does) staying in the East makes a lot of sense for him.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject:

davidse wrote:

That might be a great fit.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
davidse wrote:

Could think they have a decent shot of convincing him to stay, and they have cap room to gain if he leaves.

Hardaway Jr, Lee
for
George, Roberson

If George truly wants to win. (and I believe he does) staying in the East makes a lot of sense for him.

No one forced him to name the Lakers as his preferred destination...
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
3 team trade idea:

PG to Lakers
Mirotic / Clarkson / future pick to OKC
Deng / Zu / Abrines to Chicago

Thoughts?

KCP and two lightly protected firsts might get it done

And how do you figure Thunder have more leverage then the Pacers when they traded PG? If anything the fact that Sam Amick already reported today that Paul George is still expected to head to Lakers FA will scare teams off and give us a chance to get him for low value.

Amick did speculates= that the Thunder's lack of leverage would prevent the Thunder from getting good offers. But his conclusion was the opposite of yours: He said as a result of the lower offers the Thunder wouldn't trade him, and would just let the situation play out through the summertime.

Who knows? Fans, reporters, rival executives and everyone else can offer up all kind of speculation, but all you need to get a deal done is to have one GM say yes.

My guess is a lot of teams are scheming on how to get him right now, so nothing would surprise me -- either him staying put or going to the Lakers, the Knicks, the Cavs or the 76ers.

Last edited by activeverb on Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Kuzzkontrol wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
3 team trade idea:

PG to Lakers

Thoughts?

2 1st for 2 month rental of PG-13?

Even the realistic OKC fans won't ask for that

If you want to deconstruct the trade that way, then the Deng salary dump is obtained for the cost of Zubac?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject:

davidse wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
davidse wrote:

Hardaway Jr, Lee
for
George, Roberson

No one forced him to name the Lakers as his preferred destination...

As I posted, it depends on how much he wants to win.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
davidse wrote:

Hardaway Jr, Lee
for
George, Roberson

How does that make it easier for him?

There is a lot of rising EC teams
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
3 team trade idea:

PG to Lakers

Thoughts?

And how do you figure Thunder have more leverage then the Pacers when they traded PG? If anything the fact that Sam Amick already reported today that Paul George is still expected to head to Lakers FA will scare teams off and give us a chance to get him for low value.

Amick did speculates that the Thunder's lack of leverage would prevent the Thunder from getting good offers. But his conclusion was the opposite of yours: He said as a result of the lower offers the Thunder wouldn't trade him, and would just let the situation play out through the summertime.

Who knows? Fans, reporters, rival executives and everyone else can offer up all kind of speculation, but all you need to get a deal done is to have one GM say yes.

If they let this play out, it will be like the Harden situation but worse cause they would have no future.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject:

Nice article on George/OKC.

https://www.fanragsports.com/paul-george-returns-to-indianapolis-with-disjointed-thunder/
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Nice article on George/OKC.

https://www.fanragsports.com/paul-george-returns-to-indianapolis-with-disjointed-thunder/

He doesn’t sound off like a guy who is jealous of Indiana being successful, he’s enjoying it. so far he looks like a guy who appreciates and stays humble... just the kind of guy we need with this young team.

Last edited by Inspector Gadget on Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
governator wrote:
OKC not going anywhere, why not try trading KCP + sweetener (?Zubac?) for PG13 now?

Would much rather trade Clarkson for PG13.

If you have PG13, you’ll be in the mix for a 2nd star and will have to trade Clarkson eventually. Might as well shed his long term salary in that deal.

Also, KCP paired with PG13 is a much better defensive lineup.

Doubtful that OKC would agree, it is likely that they won’t want to pay luxury tax on JC. At least KCP would be expiring. Really unlikely that they deal PG at all.

JC makes 41% of what PG13 would make if OKC extended him. The luxury tax would naturally go down.

WB is on a long term deal, so is Adams/Roberson/Patterson. They're not tanking and they also won't have a lot of cap space even if PG13 walks. They'll want to field some semblance of a competitive team.

And paying repeater luxury tax for JC is a good idea? You pretty much listed why trading PG for salary coming back is a bad idea for them, homerism aside.

They would have a full season to move JC for more assets if they determined he wasn't worth paying the repeater tax. They're hamstrung by what they can get for George as a half-season rental, but Clarkson has two years left on an increasingly fairer deal.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
davidse wrote:

Knicks writers were hypothesizing over this last week (forget where exactly). He'd be a fantastic fit alongside Porzingis. Not that I'd do it necessarily, but McDermott + a Knicks first rounder might get it done. The Knicks won't have the cap space to sign Randle as a free agent, so having his bird rights could make it worthwhile, especially since Randle is likely better than anyone they get with that pick.

As it stands, that Knicks pick would be #17 assuming they don't move up in the standings post-trade. Worthwhile? Not to me, but Lakers management might see it as a clean cap space opener while acquiring a 1st that could be attached to Deng. 
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
davidse wrote:

Hardaway Jr, Lee
for
George, Roberson

A rare moment of insight from IG. The East has more supra-.500 teams than the West does. The West still has the two best teams and the Spurs not far behind (assuming Kawhi stays healthy), but Boston will be a juggernaut next year with a healthy Heyward, and Tatum/Brown a year older (plus the Philly pick they still might get--barf). Philly will be one within the next year or two and Giannis is still only 23. Lebron obviously tips things wherever he goes but, but the East isn't the competition wasteland it once was.

Houston has to rely on the aging and always-creaky CP3. The Warriors will be coming off their 4th straight title run and might balk at giving both Dray and Klay extensions (with one of them eligible for their other super-max). Longterm, the West might be more open then the East.

Last edited by pjiddy on Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
davidse wrote:

Knicks writers were hypothesizing over this last week (forget where exactly). He'd be a fantastic fit alongside Porzingis. Not that I'd do it necessarily, but McDermott + a Knicks first rounder might get it done. The Knicks won't have the cap space to sign Randle as a free agent, so having his bird rights could make it worthwhile, especially since Randle is likely better than anyone they get with that pick.

As it stands, that Knicks pick would be #17 assuming they don't move up in the standings post-trade. Worthwhile? Not to me, but Lakers management might see it as a clean cap space opener while acquiring a 1st that could be attached to Deng. 

2 comments -

1. If given the choice, the player I'd want included with the pick is Hernangomez. I like his game, he's out of the rotation, and more than anything it's about his contract vs. McDermott...

2. If possible, I think despite not having a pick in this year's draft, the Lakers may prefer to get a 2019 1st rd pick rather than a 2018 pick - again - because of salary concerns.
May also be able to get less protection on the pick if you take a later one.

I mean, I would love to have a pick in this draft, and an 2018 1st is a better asset to be able to move Deng than a 2019 pick, but I think there's a reasonable chance they'll prefer a 2019 pick so to not have it on next summer's cap numbers.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
https://www.reddit.com/r/lakers/comments/7jln47/zubac_doesnt_want_to_hear_it_anymore/

Zu is probably getting traded soon, he was on twitter criticising Luke.

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic bro.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
davidse wrote:

Hardaway Jr, Lee
for
George, Roberson

A rare moment of insight from IG. The East has more supra-.500 teams than the West does. The West still has the two best teams and the Spurs not far behind (assuming Kawhi stays healthy), but Boston will be a juggernaut next year with a healthy Heyward, and Tatum/Brown a year older (plus the Philly pick they still might get--barf). Philly will be one within the next year or two and Giannis is still only 23. Lebron obviously tips things wherever he goes but, but the East isn't the competition wasteland it once was.

Houston has to rely on the aging and always-creaky CP3. The Warriors will be coming off their 4th straight title run and might balk at giving both Dray and Klay extensions (with one of them eligible for their other super-max). Longterm, the West might be more open then the East.

Yeah I don't think VLF even took the time to see which conference has teams on the rise and the EC is shaping him to be a load in the next couple of years, even if LeBron leaves you got Giannis being his heir in the East, I think we have the inside track to get George, it's just gonna depend how it plays out.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject:

davidse wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
davidse wrote:

2 comments -

1. If given the choice, the player I'd want included with the pick is Hernangomez. I like his game, he's out of the rotation, and more than anything it's about his contract vs. McDermott...

2. If possible, I think despite not having a pick in this year's draft, the Lakers may prefer to get a 2019 1st rd pick rather than a 2018 pick - again - because of salary concerns.

I mean, I would love to have a pick in this draft, and an 2018 1st is a better asset to be able to move Deng than a 2019 pick, but I think there's a reasonable chance they'll prefer a 2019 pick so to not have it on next summer's cap numbers.

I might agree with you, except this front office hasn't displayed any long-term thinking (beyond 2018 free agency), but I'll withhold judgement for now. Magic is also very concerned with optics and I don't see him explaining to fans/media they just gave up one of their most productive players for a pick 2, where at least the upcoming draft is something they can talk themselves into, even if the pick will ultimately get attached to Deng.

Agree with Hernangomez over Dougy, assuming it works salary wise.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
https://www.reddit.com/r/lakers/comments/7jln47/zubac_doesnt_want_to_hear_it_anymore/

Zu is probably getting traded soon, he was on twitter criticising Luke.

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic bro.

I mean would it shock you if he was being serious? We should be molding him but instead he's being treated unfairly, I much rather have Zu get PT then Lopez.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
davidse wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
davidse wrote:

2 comments -

I might agree with you, except this front office hasn't displayed any long-term thinking (beyond 2018 free agency), but I'll withhold judgement for now. Magic is also very concerned with optics and I don't see him explaining to fans/media they just gave up one of their most productive players for a pick 2, where at least the upcoming draft is something they can talk themselves into, even if the pick will ultimately get attached to Deng.

Well, even if 2018 is the limit of their forsight, then they may opt for a 2019 pick...

Although if you get a 2018 one, you could probably flip it for a 2019 pick if you wanted to.
RashardA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Boogie
Kuz
Ingram
PG13
Lonzo

That lineup should be the ultimate goal. An aging Lebron is not needed. Go out and get two stars who fit perfectly with our young core and who are in their primes. If that's the starting lineup come the start of next season, The Lakers are a top 3 team in the West.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject:

davidse wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
davidse wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
davidse wrote:

2 comments -

Well, even if 2018 is the limit of their forsight, then they may opt for a 2019 pick...

Although if you get a 2018 one, you could probably flip it for a 2019 pick if you wanted to.

Another possibility is the Bulls' 2018 2nd rd pick that the Knicks have + Hernangomez (and another small garbage filler) although a 1st is probably the way to go here.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject:

davidse wrote:
davidse wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
davidse wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
davidse wrote:

2 comments -

Another possibility is the Bulls' 2018 2nd rd pick that the Knicks have + Hernangomez (and another small garbage filler) although a 1st is probably the way to go here.

Do you only see the Knicks being a destination? I always thought Denver would be interested.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject:

I don't see the need for any front court players for Denver.
If anything, they have too many.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 232, 233, 234 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 233 of 2680
Jump to: