OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 233, 234, 235 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject:

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/pazkpb/the-los-angeles-lakers-will-miss-kentavious-caldwell-pope-when-hes-gone
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

davidse wrote:
I don't see the need for any front court players for Denver.
If anything, they have too many.

I have heard that there is a good chance they move Chandler and Faried at some point.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

Who knows, the market for Randle could pick up. The thinking has always been, why give up assets for Randle when you can just sign him outright? But very few teams will have the cap space to get him next year, and there's always the possibility the Lakers match should they strike out with Lebron/PG/Cousins (with a remote chance they match him anyway even if they don't strike out).

There's quite a few playoff teams out there that still have their first rounder that won't have the space to sign Randle next year (the Wizards, Blazers, Pistons, Pelicans, Wolves (Thunder pick), and the Hornets) and may not get another opportunity to add a player with his potential--not to mention his defensive ability right now (esp against the Warriors).
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject:

davidse wrote:

Well Millsap is out for a while (and they probably don't keep him beyond next year at 30 million dollar team option), Faried they've been trying to trade for ages. Randle I think would fit well with Jokic.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/pazkpb/the-los-angeles-lakers-will-miss-kentavious-caldwell-pope-when-hes-gone

The only way he’s gone is if we accomplish getting 2 max FAs and even then it’s not a guarantee that’s gonna happen... I mean looking at Bradley and KCP they are basically putting up the same numbers the difference is that the Pistons actually have veterans who can help there team.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
davidse wrote:

Well Millsap is out for a while (and they probably don't keep him beyond next year at 30 million dollar team option), Faried they've been trying to trade for ages. Randle I think would fit well with Jokic.

They've been trying to trade Faried because they don't need him - Lyles has played very well since Millsap has been out.

Center position where Randle has done most of his damage this season is locked in with Denver.

I really don't see why they would invest resources in trading for Randle.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
correct me if im wrong, but if we were to trade for Paul George by the deadline, and he would opt in into his final year, then we would be able to offer him a 5 year deal next summer, as opposed to a 4 year deal this summer, right? also, he would be able to get slightly more money per year due to salary cap growth. in that case, what would make more sense for him?

2018/19 30M 20M
2019/20 30M 30M+
2020/21 30M 30M+
2021/22 30M 30M+
2022/23 FA 30M+
2023/24 FA 30M+

or would he take a XX (no idea how many years are left till hes a 10 year veteran) years contract to then sign for a 35M deal after that.

This is only appealing to George if he thinks in 2023/24 (when he’ll be like 33 years old) that he’ll be worth less than 20 mill/year.

Him being worth less than 20 mill in 23/24 is the only way he could makeup the ten million dollars you’re asking him to leave on the table if he opts in — plus he’s had a major injury, so he understands how fragile life can be.

I don’t see it, even if, I admit, it is, in fact, possible.

its a tricky situation for him imo. to earn the equal amount of money in both scenario A and scenario B hed have to sign a 2 year ~25M deal in the summer of 2022, that would then amount to 170M+ in both cases. as it stands, there are 3 options for him:

-opt in and get a 5 year max in the summer of 2019
-get a 4 year max this summer and test free agency in the summer of 2022, when he will be 32
-take a 2 year guaranteed deal this summer, then test free agency in the summer of 2020, when he will be a 10 year veteran and 30 years old, and would be eligible for a 35% max.

now it all depends on how much he values himself and where does he see himself in 2-3-4 years. is he confident he will still be among the best in the league at his position, and someone teams will be offering a max deal when he is 30 years old? what about when hes 32 years old? if im him, these are all questions i ask myself. if im him, id take the longer deal, its less of a risk and its still a ton of money. so i tell Magic im opting in, give you a chance to sign Lebron/Boogie AND keep everyone. BUT im taking his word that i will get the 5 year max deal in a year. this is also a good one for the Lakers, as he will be 34 by the time the contract is up

that 3rd example, where he takes a 2 year deal and goes out for the 35%max in 2020 is certainly tempting, and if im him then i have confidence in myself that id still be a allstar level talent at 30, so im strongly considering it. but on the other hand, if im the Lakers, im definitely not giving a 30 year old George 35M+ (or even more, maybe salary cap explodes even more by then) for 5 seasons.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

never thought about it, but he would be a nice fit beside Oladipo
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
davidse wrote:
I think the Knicks are a threat for George.

Could think they have a decent shot of convincing him to stay, and they have cap room to gain if he leaves.

Hardaway Jr, Lee
for
George, Roberson

If George truly wants to win. (and I believe he does) staying in the East makes a lot of sense for him.

How does that make it easier for him?

There is a lot of rising EC teams

A rare moment of insight from IG. The East has more supra-.500 teams than the West does. The West still has the two best teams and the Spurs not far behind (assuming Kawhi stays healthy), but Boston will be a juggernaut next year with a healthy Heyward, and Tatum/Brown a year older (plus the Philly pick they still might get--barf). Philly will be one within the next year or two and Giannis is still only 23. Lebron obviously tips things wherever he goes but, but the East isn't the competition wasteland it once was.

Houston has to rely on the aging and always-creaky CP3. The Warriors will be coming off their 4th straight title run and might balk at giving both Dray and Klay extensions (with one of them eligible for their other super-max). Longterm, the West might be more open then the East.

The only reason I see him preferring the east is it seems more likely he be able to join a contending team there, either the Cavaliers or the 76ers. If he joins us, even with cousins come up you still rolling the dice on our young players developing
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
davidse wrote:

Could think they have a decent shot of convincing him to stay, and they have cap room to gain if he leaves.

Hardaway Jr, Lee
for
George, Roberson

If George truly wants to win. (and I believe he does) staying in the East makes a lot of sense for him.

A rare moment of insight from IG. The East has more supra-.500 teams than the West does. The West still has the two best teams and the Spurs not far behind (assuming Kawhi stays healthy), but Boston will be a juggernaut next year with a healthy Heyward, and Tatum/Brown a year older (plus the Philly pick they still might get--barf). Philly will be one within the next year or two and Giannis is still only 23. Lebron obviously tips things wherever he goes but, but the East isn't the competition wasteland it once was.

Houston has to rely on the aging and always-creaky CP3. The Warriors will be coming off their 4th straight title run and might balk at giving both Dray and Klay extensions (with one of them eligible for their other super-max). Longterm, the West might be more open then the East.

The only reason I see him preferring the east is it seems more likely he be able to join a contending team there, either the Cavaliers or the 76ers. If he joins us, even with cousins come up you still rolling the dice on our young players developing

In theory he can join a lot of contenders in the EC. I bet if he went to NY for example the Knicks would be a problem to deal with. but the thing is , the EC is gonna be tough....

Bucks
Philly
Wizards
Toronto
Indy

I don’t see how George is guaranteed to have success in the East...
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject:

At least if he came here... he would be close to his family and that might make him find much more comfort.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
In theory he can join a lot of contenders in the EC. I bet if he went to NY for example the Knicks would be a problem to deal with. but the thing is , the EC is gonna be tough....

Bucks
Philly
Wizards
Toronto
Indy

I don’t see how George is guaranteed to have success in the East...

why do you keep saying this....all that matters is the talent at the top....none of those teams are Golden State, Houston, or San Antonio....not even close. The East is not as tough as the West and will not be in the near future.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
coming back from a meeting listening to NBA Radio, and they were talking about possible "fantasy" trades thought would make sense, and one was PG-13 for Kevin Love. At first I thought no way OKC does that deal, but they kind of sold me on it. If OKC feels they will lose PG-13, they will have no cap space, Love and Westbrook are still friends from UCLA, and who better to go stand in the corner and wait for Russ to pass it to him? Also, in Cleveland if Lebron bolts, it is likely so would PG-13...if Lebron stays, it is likely PG-13 would consider it also....which both scenarios is what Cleveland prefers.

Cleveland will offer that Nets pick for Paul George. Near sure about that.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
adkindo wrote:
coming back from a meeting listening to NBA Radio, and they were talking about possible "fantasy" trades thought would make sense, and one was PG-13 for Kevin Love. At first I thought no way OKC does that deal, but they kind of sold me on it. If OKC feels they will lose PG-13, they will have no cap space, Love and Westbrook are still friends from UCLA, and who better to go stand in the corner and wait for Russ to pass it to him? Also, in Cleveland if Lebron bolts, it is likely so would PG-13...if Lebron stays, it is likely PG-13 would consider it also....which both scenarios is what Cleveland prefers.

it might would only take their own pick if they feel George is leaving, and they do not have many offers.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
MJST wrote:
adkindo wrote:

it might would only take their own pick if they feel George is leaving, and they do not have many offers.

pretty much. I believe that OKC will continue to give Donovan a leash, but will fire him if they lose to Indiana tonight.

They will fire Donovan long before they think about moving George.

It's interesting watching Oladipo putting up better numbers and leading Indiana in a better way than George did last season.

Apparently he was inspired by watching the work ethic of Westbrook last year and seeing what he was able to do and how he did it, so he implemented it into his off-season this year, and he has been reaping the benefits and living up to the potential people thought he had now.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
adkindo wrote:

They would only offer it if the Cavs trade for George and he immediately signs a extension on the dotted line.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
adkindo wrote:
MJST wrote:
adkindo wrote:

pretty much. I believe that OKC will continue to give Donovan a leash, but will fire him if they lose to Indiana tonight.

They will fire Donovan long before they think about moving George.

It's interesting watching Oladipo putting up better numbers and leading Indiana in a better way than George did last season.

Apparently he was inspired by watching the work ethic of Westbrook last year and seeing what he was able to do and how he did it, so he implemented it into his off-season this year, and he has been reaping the benefits and living up to the potential people thought he had now.

You know I don't believe in grauntees because they are full of 💩.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
davidse wrote:

Hardaway Jr, Lee
for
George, Roberson

Houston relies on Harden, Paul is there to help him. GS has said they will continue to pay to compete for titles. You can skew things any way you want but in the near future, the two best teams in the league are in the West.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject:

The only way the Warriors and Rockets don't end up being the best in the league is if Doc Rivers coaches them.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject:

how about Bazemore and Nance to OKC, KCP to Hawks, George to us?

Hawks get an expiring. while they dont have much use for that, but its always good to have salary cap space when you want to absorb bad contracts for picks
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:
how about Bazemore and Nance to OKC, KCP to Hawks, George to us?

Hawks get an expiring. while they dont have much use for that, but its always good to have salary cap space when you want to absorb bad contracts for picks

I like it, it might take the Hawks giving up a 1st round pick to OKC though.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject:

Media member are not always smart, nor do I think they care that they're not.

Quote:
Royce Young @royceyoung

The Pacers just showed a long video going through all the greats in their history -- Wayman Tisdale, Chuck Person, Dale Davis, Jeff Foster, Jalen Rose, Reggie Miller, etc. Paul George was not included.

Mind you, this is OKC's media guy. And that tweet makes it seem like the Pacers are being petty and are mad at PG right?

Well, except for the fact that this same video has been used for the last 3 years? Great job Royce. Next time, ask someone from Indiana for some info before trying to get clicks.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Some guy on RealGM is saying supposedly that he saw Melo and WB hanging out together while PG was walking away...
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject:

I keep forgetting that Victor was a number 2 pick.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Some guy on RealGM is saying supposedly that he saw Melo and WB hanging out together while PG was walking away...

More context? What does that even mean. When? Where?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 233, 234, 235 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 234 of 2680
Jump to: