OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2528, 2529, 2530 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iandrewd
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject:

AirKobe8 wrote:
Iandrewd wrote:
Not sure if it's been covered but it would have really nice for the Lakers to make a run at Ed Davis. He was underappreciated while he was here and he would have been an excellent center for the team at that price. The team is apparently focused on constructing a roster based mainly on defense, not so much shooting, and Davis would be perfect for that. He's one of the best rebounders in the league and, as an added benefit, he's great around the rim and doesn't need the ball on offense which would be perfect on a team with the creators the Lakers have. Anyway, unlike some I can appreciate the focus of the front office on trying to build a defensive-switching team in the mold of the Warriors and Rockets (granted, the Lakers' version is missing all the shooting) but I've always liked Davis and hated that the Lakers let him go in the first place.

Signed with Brooklyn on the first hours of free agency. 4.4 mil/1 year.

Yes, I know but thank you for the info.
rancar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
We could have signed Randle for the same deal that NO did but decided to punt to next season. Enjoy this make shift team, it won’t be around past this season.

Wait a minutes...you're giving up on the Lakers because they didn't resign Julius Randle? Come on man...
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject:

JeezyXVII wrote:
Capela needs to wake up to reality. MDA and his agent are fluffing him up tooooo much. He's not getting paid $20-25mill per year.

Not many teams have that kind of money, and even the teams that do wont offer it as they are holding onto money for next years free agent class.

He'll probably end up taking a large 1 year deal somewhere, but his productivity and value wont be as high if he's not running alongside CP3 and Harden.

While this is true, you can also argue that the Rockets are not able to find another player with the same productivity this summer. They already lose Ariza, if they lose Capela too, they won't be able to threaten Golden States like last year. This was the same reason how Steven Adams got that massive contract. They don't have the cap space to sign star players next summer even if Capela is out. It is for both parties interest for him to stay there. Obviously he won't get $20-25m per year contract but if Morey thinks he can play this cheap because it is a dry market then he is wrong.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
We could have signed Randle for the same deal that NO did but decided to punt to next season. Enjoy this make shift team, I won’t be around past this season.

Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject:

JeezyXVII wrote:
Magic and Rob of all people should know, in order to win, you need a solid paint player.

Magic had KAJ, McAdoo for his title runs.
Rob knows Kobe had Shaq and Gasol @ the 5 for those title runs.

im surprised they haven't gotten us 1 starting quality 5 yet. Especially in a conference where you play AD, KAT, Boogie, DJ, Jokic, Nurkic, Adams, Capela, Gobert. Gasol and so on come playoff time.

I agree with the reasoning but am willing to give them the benefit of doubt they may know more about the expectations and roles on the roster then most of us.

Perhaps they have more confidence in the center by committee approach then we do. Assuming they have more available info on just how much Zubac has improved or how many mpg McGee will play. Even how much they expect from Wagner in his rookie year.

I have concerns too. The center position seems like the weak link but I'm assuming the coaches and FO have a plan to offset the perceived weakness. I do think the strength of the team is currently the depth and interchangeability of the wings. Centers just need to hold ground and not be dominated on a nightly basis.

Even if all the above centers mentioned do dominate can the Lakers keep the other opposing players in check enough to offset the center advantage? I can optimistically see it working.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
JeezyXVII wrote:
Capela needs to wake up to reality. MDA and his agent are fluffing him up tooooo much. He's not getting paid $20-25mill per year.

Not many teams have that kind of money, and even the teams that do wont offer it as they are holding onto money for next years free agent class.

He'll probably end up taking a large 1 year deal somewhere, but his productivity and value wont be as high if he's not running alongside CP3 and Harden.

While this is true, you can also argue that the Rockets are not able to find another player with the same productivity this summer. They already lose Ariza, if they lose Capela too, they won't be able to threaten Golden States like last year. This was the same reason how Steven Adams got that massive contract. They don't have the cap space to sign star players next summer even if Capela is out. It is for both parties interest for him to stay there. Obviously he won't get $20-25m per year contract but if Morey thinks he can play this cheap because it is a dry market then he is wrong.

He won't lose Capela this year either way. If he takes the QO then he has to ball out going into free agency next summer. It would be a problem for Morey next summer though.

If he's throwing 100M out there hoping to get more than the 60M then I get it. If he really thinks he's worth 100M then he's got a reality check coming to him.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
JeezyXVII wrote:

He won't lose Capela this year either way. If he takes the QO then he has to ball out going into free agency next summer. It would be a problem for Morey next summer though.

If he's throwing 100M out there hoping to get more than the 60M then I get it. If he really thinks he's worth 100M then he's got a reality check coming to him.

Hi DS.

What do you think about the Lakers off season?

governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
JeezyXVII wrote:

They already lost Mbah a Moute and Ariza. Their window of championship is exactly the same as ours, 4 yrs if/until CP3 (LeBron in our case) don't live up to the contract value anymore. They're bargaining but in the end, Houston will keep Capela at all cost.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
JeezyXVII wrote:

dreamshake. why don’t you just become a Lakers fan. Robert Horry did it. You can too.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
pokoy wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
2017 Summer League Champs wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
Press conference time already? Looks like we're done.

Signing Lebron is a big indicator that we are done.

I thought you thought we would trade all our youth after Lebron signed?

No, though the pool has been thinned. We gave up JC, Nance and Randle for nothing. How about the post you responded to, we are waiting for your idea?

They gave up those players so they can sign their next superstar next summer. Plus, they use the money from JC to re-sign KCP.

Resigning Randle would not have precluded cap space next year. I can already tell this is next season's "DLO was traded for Kuzma" John Ireland retcon we hear everytime Randle is mentioned. Even if he signed for 3/30, the Lakers could have EASILY moved that contract, either part of a Kawhi (or whoever) deal, or even in a straight salary dump. At the minimum you could have moved him for a 2nd rounder.

Bottom line, he would've either continued to grow and become a really good player for us. Maybe he would've even obviated the need for another superstar acquisition or at least mitigated the effects if we failed. Or you get an asset for him.

Getting absolutely nothing for a guy you spent four years developing is a small catastrophe. You can always sign a guy and trade him. If the Clippers could move Blake's monster overpay, we could've moved an underpaid Randle.

Again, why do you assume it would have been 3/30? More likely, 4/72. It's clear the Lakers wanted to keep Randle . Why else would they use all their capspace on LeBron and KCP? Use the room exception on Lance, and then sign McGee with the vet minimum?

No way Randle went into that meeting taking LESS than Randle's camp offered in October. Randle price went UP after his play. If he was willing to play for less than his caphold the Lakers would have gladly gave him a new contact.

Who was offering him 4/72? If Randle took 2/18 from NO, i'm guessing he would've taken 2/20 or 3/30. Hell, you tell him we'll try to move you if being a starter is most important. He'd be locked in for more dollars or years. Ultimately, it doesn't matter. He wouldn't be the first RFA to say "please don't match." If he wants another team to trade for him, he has no choice but to play his ass off. You don't just let an asset walk.

And if he was so unhappy, the situation was untenable, that's poor player management by Magic and Pelinka. They've done a very poor job making their players feel valued. That stuff impacts on-court production and we see now how it impacted keeping Randle here. And it costs zero dollars. How hard is it to say nice things to your player and include him in your "young core" namechecks to the media?

Exactly. Glad they were able to land Lebron and all, but it feels like they need to work on making their non-HOF players feel valued. It's like making a thousand little cuts on these bridges. It might not be a straight up insult on a player to the media, but a player will notice some of these things. And it doesn't bode well for the future, when the young guys start taking over the league and talk to each other about signing up on teams.

I'm not a huge Aaron Mintz fan myself, but part of me thinks you can't blame him for sticking up for his players and not wanting PG to be in that situation. Even though DLo didn't have the greatest attitude, he was mishandled from the start. Pump him up before trading him, maybe you get more value back? Same with Julius, and he actually had a pretty good attitude I thought. Just mishandled. Brook Lopez, while not a Mintz client, pretty much got shoved aside when they introducing Mo and Svi (Magic pretty much harped on how much better Mo was than Brook).

I get the tough love part but that should come from the coach. Executives and GMs should be the shmoozers and good at buttering players up.

This is it. Some people here kept saying "But Randle wanted out so there's nothing we could do" without thinking why Randle wanted to leave in the first place.

What was reported was they presented Randle with the role they wanted him to play, and the QO, and he wasn't happy about it. There's really no need to get into how "nice" they were to him because none of us were there in the room.

Perhaps a guy like Jerry West could've talked him off the ledge. Maybe a year of playing with Lebron would've locked him in. We have no idea. I wanted Randle to be our center, and it appears the FO did too, but obviously that isn't something he was interested in. At least they were honest with the role they saw him playing rather than giving him the old bait and switch. I'd say they put his interests ahead of the Lakers. It was a business decision, not an emotional one (as far as what we know)
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
JeezyXVII wrote:

Hi DS.

You got the best player in basketball. That kinda makes the summer a winner.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:

dreamshake. why don’t you just become a Lakers fan. Robert Horry did it. You can too.

The funny thing is since I've been here I've probably been a bigger fan of LeBron than 70% of this board.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject:

Jesse Buss on Instagram.

Quote:
About a year and a half ago @jeaniebuss, Joey, and I had dinner with @magicjohnson before he took the job to become President of B-ball ops. We spent a couple of hours talking basketball and really trying to figure out how we could get the @lakers back to a winning organization. Magic made a promise then that he would be able to get us back to our winning tradition just like my Dad had always done in the past. Over this past week that promise has materialized and I could’ve never imagined it happening in this fashion. I’m beyond grateful to be a part of something that is this special. WOW! This is an unbelievable moment in Lakers history. Welcome @kingjames. Truly a transcendent player and it’ll be amazing being able to watch you in the Purple & Gold every night. Let’s go!!!!! #lakers

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlB_HFhhr0b/?hl=en&taken-by=jessebusslal
crazylakerfan001
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
We could have signed Randle for the same deal that NO did but decided to punt to next season. Enjoy this make shift team, it won’t be around past this season.

Don’t let the door hit you on your way. Also you can change your name to VenturaPelicansFan

Last edited by crazylakerfan001 on Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:14 am; edited 2 times in total
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

says the Master Baiter.

Yup VLF is not happy unless we sign our role players to overpriced 4 year deals with no team options ala Mozdeng
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Jesse Buss on Instagram.

Quote:
About a year and a half ago @jeaniebuss, Joey, and I had dinner with @magicjohnson before he took the job to become President of B-ball ops. We spent a couple of hours talking basketball and really trying to figure out how we could get the @lakers back to a winning organization. Magic made a promise then that he would be able to get us back to our winning tradition just like my Dad had always done in the past. Over this past week that promise has materialized and I could’ve never imagined it happening in this fashion. I’m beyond grateful to be a part of something that is this special. WOW! This is an unbelievable moment in Lakers history. Welcome @kingjames. Truly a transcendent player and it’ll be amazing being able to watch you in the Purple & Gold every night. Let’s go!!!!! #lakers

I've always liked Jesse Buss.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
JeezyXVII wrote:

Hi DS.

You got the best player in basketball. That kinda makes the summer a winner.

Next time you meet GS, get the job done.

See you in the Finals.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject:

crazylakerfan001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Don’t let the door hit you on your way. Also you can change your name to VenturaPelicansFan

Ya told him this 10 times yet he is here trolling and complaining about every Damm move.

I mean I never seen somebody complain so much about the team they love/follow
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

The funny thing is since I've been here I've probably been a bigger fan of LeBron than 70% of this board.

LG not only has the best Lakers fans, but the best Rockets fan too.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Jesse Buss on Instagram.

Quote:

Agreed. Amazing job by our new FO so far. If next year we could sign another superstar player and trade Deng, we would have shed both horrendous contracts while picking up very quality players in the process in just 3 short years. The DLo/Moz trade was almost like the KG/Pierce/Allen trade that Boston did. It was something that reshaped the Lakers and would benefit the team for years to come.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject:

VLF, you must be elated that Randle is now on the Pelicans and you that can continue rooting for him.

Didn’t you say though that the Pelicans were a lock to sign Boogie back again?
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject:

Randle is gone because of his egotistical agent Aaron Mintz. Ask Emplay. It’s also the reason why PG spurned is as well
iimarshon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
32 wrote:
Jesse Buss on Instagram.

Quote:

Agreed. Amazing job by our new FO so far. If next year we could sign another superstar player and trade Deng, we would have shed both horrendous contracts while picking up very quality players in the process in just 3 short years. The DLo/Moz trade was almost like the KG/Pierce/Allen trade that Boston did. It was something that reshaped the Lakers and would benefit the team for years to come.

Man i love this team.

Jeanie Buss is a freaking legend. I love Pelinka. And Magic is doing a good job too.

And I love that Jesse Buss is crushing scouting for us.
iimarshon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
Randle is gone because of his egotistical agent Aaron Mintz. Ask Emplay. It’s also the reason why PG spurned is as well

Randle didnt fit this team anyways. Best of luck to him, lets move on.
iimarshon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject:

So if we dont trade for Kawhi before the season starts, do we just sign Frye to the minimum and keep that ~4.5m in cap space available for us incase we need it or for buyouts or something?

I dont really see any other FA they'd use that space on.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2528, 2529, 2530 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 2529 of 2680
Jump to: