OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2580, 2581, 2582 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Damn, we lost Channing Frye.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
LakerFan1972 wrote:
Quote:
Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn
3m
Free agent forward Jabari Parker has agreed to a two-year, $40M deal with the Chicago Bulls, league sources tell ESPN. Milwaukee rescinded Parker's qualifying offer moments ago, making him unrestricted.

Another from JR's 2014 draft class get paid. Must be tough for JR to watch.

JR needs to develop that outside shot if he expects to get paid.

Exactly. And he hasn't. Let's imagine that he started his career shooting a woeful 28% from 3pt territory. But through hard work and persistence, his stroke steadily improved, his efficiency was steady, and he was able to raise that average to about 36%.

He's still a Laker.

Except the Lakers didn’t want him shooting outside shots. My guess is that the Pelicans won’t limit him.

Yet they let Brook and Kuz (over 30% 3 point shooters do it) shoot tons of 3s. Maybe that’s just not a part of Jules’s game.

It definitely isn’t when the coach tells you not to.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
If we weren’t going to bring back Lopez, I probably would have preferred Noel over McGee.

just fyi - the free agent also has a choice of which team he wants to join.

i bet we had the 1st stab at noel with rich paul being his agent.

maybe noel picked okc? i mean its his choice

I’d be willing to bet the Lakers chose McGee over Noel ... mostly because of experience and partially because of durability.

Say what you want about McGee but he’s been to two straight Finals and has that experience under his belt. The Lakers preferred that over a guy in Noel who has barely played 20-30 games a year let alone the postseason.
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Polarbear wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
who needs rebounds anyway

I think the real question is how much rebounding were we getting out of our true centers like Lopez anyway? He did not seem to be very good at it.

They could deal with Lopez because he was playing next to Randle. Unfortunately, Randle's gone. But now they can go small at the forward spots because Zubac is a much better rebounder than Lopez.
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Lopez average 4rpg, pretty pitiful for a 7 footer, but not totally shocking considering on offense he was at the 3pt line 80% of the time..

noahp45 wrote:
A centerbthat doesnt play in the center doesn't get a lot of rebounds

Lopez has been a poor rebounder his entire career, even when he was exclusively in the post. His rebounds per minute are not far off from the year before. The only thing that really changed last year was a drop in his minutes.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Aike wrote:
DeeAgeaux wrote:
Parker has to work one year to get $20M

Randle has to work two years to get $18M

I would rather work half as much and make 11% more money.

Missing the forest for the trees.

Randle might make $30 million the next two years and Parker might make $25 mil. We just can’t know.

All we know is that one has a guarantee to get paid $20 million, while the other has a guarantee to make at least $18 million, barring some bizarre circumstances. The rest is just window dressing.

I still prefer Parker’s deal. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Hydro21 wrote:
There giving Zubac a shot I’m okay with it .. he was already told to be ready to play alot minutes this year

I hope that's the vote of confidence that he needs.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject:

24Legend007 wrote:
Dont we have some of the best frontcourt and wing rebounding in the NBA?

I mean Lonzo, Hart, Rondo, KCP, Stephenson can all rebound the basket ball pretty good? Maybe above average?

They are all stellar if not elite. Then there's that Lebron guy who rebounds better than the vast majority of centers.
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Shaber wrote:
Let's hope.

Could the release of Lopez and no obvious target to replace him show that the front office believes Zubac + McGee is enough to hold the ground?

And Wagner, but yeah, it looks like the Lakers will be playing "Center-less" basketball for a good portion of each game.

We keep hearing how the Age of Centers has passed and that we are now in the Age of the Swingman, so perhaps this is the grand plan for the team..

It's scary, it's like going into a battle with no guns and only hand grenades, but if you can win using that method, why not(?)

Lakers could be looking at running an uptempo offense that just overwhelms the opponents with speed and efficiency and then looks to use switching and double teams on the defensive side...

The ironic thing is, this past draft flies right into the face of that, if anything the age of the center will be returning at some point in the next five years or so. Anthony Davis, Joel Embiid, Nikola Jokic, Rudy Gobert, Karl Anthony Towns, Myles Turner, DeAndre Ayton, Mo Bamba, Marvin Bagley... The age of the big lumbering stiff who isn't asked to do much other than occupy the paint is over. But bigs are definitely here and when a team finally wins with one it will be "the dawn of the new era of big men". Nothing's changed other than the fact that bigs are more skilled and are being asked to do more.

Funny enough, Golden State, the team everyone is gunning for, has gotten ahead of the wave and acquired a skilled big man of their own in Cousins. We will most certainly need a true 5 at some point. But we aren't championship contenders yet, and there is no point trying to win it all in this offseason.
Aike
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Vanquish wrote:
Aike wrote:
DeeAgeaux wrote:
Parker has to work one year to get $20M

Randle has to work two years to get $18M

I would rather work half as much and make 11% more money.

Missing the forest for the trees.

Randle might make $30 million the next two years and Parker might make $25 mil. We just can’t know.

All we know is that one has a guarantee to get paid $20 million, while the other has a guarantee to make at least $18 million, barring some bizarre circumstances. The rest is just window dressing.

I still prefer Parker’s deal. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush

That’s fine if you prefer it, but Parker’s 2019-2020 salary is still in the bush.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Jules only got 9m a year while Jabari who has 4432 ACL tears got 20m a year. Time to fire Mintz.

My guess is he took what was available to go to a contender. He could have got more going to a bottom feeder, but he didn't even try.

pelicans are not in anyway shape or form contender or pretender.

They were only top 4 in the West.

Sure. They lost a guy who kept them afloat when their franchise player went down. They lost another leader in rondo. Their other guard is way injury prone

I doubt they even make playoffs next year.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
If we weren’t going to bring back Lopez, I probably would have preferred Noel over McGee.

If I remember correctly he was deciding between OKC/LA/Wizards. We dont know exactly what went down but I find it hard to believe he would have passed on the chance to start in LA to go to OKC to be a back up Steven Adams. I lean to maybe the Lakers preferred McGee's experience over Noel and his question marks.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

I’d be willing to bet the Lakers chose McGee over Noel ... mostly because of experience and partially because of durability.

Say what you want about McGee but he’s been to two straight Finals and has that experience under his belt. The Lakers preferred that over a guy in Noel who has barely played 20-30 games a year let alone the postseason.

Yeah this. Beat me to it. I didnt mind the McGee signing as he is a solid piece at that price. As long as we arent dependent on him for more than 12-16MPG.

By the way I still have faith in Zu. Give him 24MPG and he can be a 12/7/1.5blk player. All about will he be able to keep up with speed of the game on defense.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Jules only got 9m a year while Jabari who has 4432 ACL tears got 20m a year. Time to fire Mintz.

My guess is he took what was available to go to a contender. He could have got more going to a bottom feeder, but he didn't even try.

pelicans are not in anyway shape or form contender or pretender.

They were only top 4 in the West.

Sure. They lost a guy who kept them afloat when their franchise player went down. They lost another leader in rondo. Their other guard is way injury prone

I doubt they even make playoffs next year.

Realistically in the west last year, there were only 2 teams who were contenders. Obvious, even from the regular season record that there was a large gap in the win column between GS and Hou, and everyone else.

To say that the wolves were contenders because they were 4 seed last year is definitely misleading at best.
kawhileonard
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Mintz is the biggest loser of 2018 free agency:

1) Randle got way less than his peers
2) PG13 didn’t get the best deal (lakers or not)
3) Nets not even talking extension with DLO

I certainly wouldn’t sign up with that guy. Can’t have personal grudges impact business for clients.

I agree, his summer should be required viewing for all future NBA agents as a "not to do" example.

As far as Randle, sure it would have been nice to get value back for him, but the Lakers had bigger fish to fry at that point.

I like how the Lakers are being somewhat cold and clinical in their evaluations. Guys like Randle, Lopez, Thomas just didn't fit in with what they were looking for apparently and I like that they have a vision.

Yup. I think with Randle they would welcome him back with open arms if he took the 1 year deal so that they preserve the 2019 cap space but Mintz was too butthurt over relationship with the Lakers.

Anyway, they know what they are doing. The 3 headed Magic/Pelinka/LeGM have a 2-3 year plan and I don’t think they will make the same mistakes Cleveland did with those outrageous contracts. I’m sure even LeBron learned from those mistakes.

Net's GM is saving all his cap space thats why...

None of their players got extensions ( DLo, Spencer and RHJ or even Demarr Carroll)...

That being said, if DLO is looking for Booker money, he's probably going to get traded.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Mintz signed grayson (bleep) allen
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
LakerFan1972 wrote:
Quote:
Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn
3m
Free agent forward Jabari Parker has agreed to a two-year, $40M deal with the Chicago Bulls, league sources tell ESPN. Milwaukee rescinded Parker's qualifying offer moments ago, making him unrestricted.

Another from JR's 2014 draft class get paid. Must be tough for JR to watch.

JR needs to develop that outside shot if he expects to get paid.

Exactly. And he hasn't. Let's imagine that he started his career shooting a woeful 28% from 3pt territory. But through hard work and persistence, his stroke steadily improved, his efficiency was steady, and he was able to raise that average to about 36%.

He's still a Laker.

Except the Lakers didn’t want him shooting outside shots. My guess is that the Pelicans won’t limit him.

Yet they let Brook and Kuz (over 30% 3 point shooters do it) shoot tons of 3s. Maybe that’s just not a part of Jules’s game.

It definitely isn’t when the coach tells you not to.

Exactly. It's more probable because (a)he wasn't very good at it yet (b) he was very reluctant to do so because he preferred to play "his game" as he described it, which is bully ball. Surely, as my example stated, if he got up to about 36%, a coach wouldn't tell him "not to shoot outside shots".

That's goes against everything Walton, Magic and Pelinka seem to emphasize. Simply put, at least for me, the reason that JR is gone is because of that missing element in his game.
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:
I wonder why the Bucks rescinded the QO. Wouldn’t they have been able to make him play under that if Parker wanted to be an FA next year.

Chicago was working on an offer sheet for Parker to sign.

Rather than wait to be presented a signed offer sheet and then deliberate about matching, the Bucks raised the white flag and moved on.

They must have heard how insane the offer was to surrender without making the Bulls sweat a bit.

They used the MLE on Sova, and BAE on Lopez, they are basically hard capped.

any chance they do Deng/pick for Henson?

they have now:
Lopez
Thon Maker
DJ Wilson
Tyler Zeller
Plumlee
Henson
Ersan

No need to trade Deng now. The buy-out market is going to have Vuc, Lopez, Dedmon, and posibly Chandler on it.

Lakers should still try and trade Deng for a smaller salary. We don’t really want to stretch him next year for 6m a year hit.

Also, why do you think Dedmon or Vucevic are buyout candidates? They don’t fit the characteristics of normal buyout candidates.

I don't think they want to stretch Deng either, but next summer he only has one year left, so the draft compensation should be cheaper. The reason I think Dedmon could be a buy-out candidate in February is because the Hawks are tanking and will be playing their young guys.
kobe8One
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

I certainly wouldn’t sign up with that guy. Can’t have personal grudges impact business for clients.

Why is Mintz's fault?

1. If Randlel learned how to shoot and able to finish with either hands after 4 years in the NBA, pretty sure he will get a better deal.
2. Lakers want it PG13 before Lebron, after Lebron the Lakers says no thank you.
3. DLO just hope he doesn't get less than Randle. Dlo and Booker are not even in the same level.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject:

Which big man would you guys prefer from this list?

ZBo
Henson
Dedmon
Larry Sanders
RLopez
Vucevic
Tyson Chandler
kawhileonard
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject:

kobe8One wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Why is Mintz's fault?

1. If Randlel learned how to shoot and able to finish with either hands after 4 years in the NBA, pretty sure he will get a better deal.
2. Lakers want it PG13 before Lebron, after Lebron the Lakers says no thank you.
3. DLO just hope he doesn't get less than Randle. Dlo and Booker are not even in the same level.

Yeap. DLO is better than Booker...
eagles nut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

ZBo
Henson
Dedmon
Larry Sanders
RLopez
Vucevic
Tyson Chandle

Think we should focus on -

Alex Len
Lucas Nogueira
Brandan Wright
Tarik Black
etcetera
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Wildchild027 wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:
I wonder why the Bucks rescinded the QO. Wouldn’t they have been able to make him play under that if Parker wanted to be an FA next year.

Chicago was working on an offer sheet for Parker to sign.

Rather than wait to be presented a signed offer sheet and then deliberate about matching, the Bucks raised the white flag and moved on.

They must have heard how insane the offer was to surrender without making the Bulls sweat a bit.

They used the MLE on Sova, and BAE on Lopez, they are basically hard capped.

any chance they do Deng/pick for Henson?

they have now:
Lopez
Thon Maker
DJ Wilson
Tyler Zeller
Plumlee
Henson
Ersan

No need to trade Deng now. The buy-out market is going to have Vuc, Lopez, Dedmon, and posibly Chandler on it.

Lakers should still try and trade Deng for a smaller salary. We don’t really want to stretch him next year for 6m a year hit.

Also, why do you think Dedmon or Vucevic are buyout candidates? They don’t fit the characteristics of normal buyout candidates.

I don't think they want to stretch Deng either, but next summer he only has one year left, so the draft compensation should be cheaper. The reason I think Dedmon could be a buy-out candidate in February is because the Hawks are tanking and will be playing their young guys.

Even as a rental they may get a 2nd or low 1st for him at the deadline. The next deadline to look at is very soon, the last say you can stretch a player and still lower this year's cap hit. There was a link to a Lakers fan site I saw they said by the 19th I think, but it was vague. If an one knows that date post it please, I'm sure the Melo move will happen by then to be safe. That may free up a big the Lakers could throw their exception at.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject:

eagles nut wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

ZBo
Henson
Dedmon
Larry Sanders
RLopez
Vucevic
Tyson Chandle

Think we should focus on -

Alex Len
Lucas Nogueira
Brandan Wright
Tarik Black
etcetera

Those are more realistic
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject:

I’m pretty surprised no one is showing more interest in Alex Len
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2580, 2581, 2582 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 2581 of 2680
Jump to: