OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2585, 2586, 2587 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject:

Okafor would be interesting, but only if he's really committing himself to being an NBA player. I have no idea if that's the case.
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
You can say Zu does a lot of things Len would provide. Size, PnR Threat, Rebounding, Shot blocking but Len is a lot stronger+more NBA experience (4 years older than Zu). Zu has a better touch on offense.

I dont know why people have faith in Zu?
He took a step back last year and didnt show any signs of improvement.
If anything he regressed.
Plus Zu is not very nimble.

Alex Len’s started 42% of his career games.
Id rarher roll with Len over Zu in this situation.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Man TBryant would have been such a good fit. Defense ans spacing.

Why oh why oh why
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
deal wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
I want Wagner to play at least 16mpg, McGee too. I want Zu traded to the Spurs because they liked him in his draft

Hopefully we get Mo good minutes at PF, he'll get distroyed at C

Na I think he’s strictly a Center in 2018

I don't know. He's light on his feet, but he's too light in the pocket to anchor the post. He can guard stretch 4s and 5s right now, but that's it.

If you said "he's strictly a center in 2022," that would make more sense. He'll be bigger and stronger, by then, maybe a tad less lightfooted, and probably more capable of executing low-post moves, defending low-post moves, etc. Not to say that centers of the future are stuck in the low post - they won't be - but a defensive anchor will be spending more time down low than other players.

He can play either, but I say definitely more PF than C.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject:

I'm not too worried about the Warriors signing Cousins, next season they will be needing to bump Klay up at least $10+ million, and IF he regains his previous physical health, Cousins will be looking for an additional $25/mil per season, which the Warriors will not be able to pay, as they will be over the salary cap and paying Cousins $30mil per season will cost them an addition $30mil in penalties, the first season and then it escalates each year after!

SO, if Cousins does return to form, Lakers will have a max slot open for him in the summer of 2019, so they just have to get through the next season with their platoon-core of misfit centers...

BTW: Curry will be making $40mil (2019), $43mil (2020) and $45mil (2021), so the Warriors will need to take a long hard look one what Championships cost them in the next few years...
RowellGboy7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject:

Aike wrote:
RowellGboy7 wrote:

You can’t be serious with your “arguments”. How quickly you make the most money totally matters. $20M guaranteed for 1 year of work outclasses $18M over 2 years no matter how you cut it.
You’re only arguing for the guaranteed portion, but you’ll quickly realize how ridiculous it sounds the more years you add it takes to make the $18M. What if it takes 10 years? 50 years? It absolutely matters.

OK, I’ll try again.

Randle has an opt-out next summer, so there is a good chance he will make MORE than $18 million in 2 years. Could also have more years tacked on next summer.

The Bulls have an option in year 2, so there is a good chance Jabari makes LESS than $40 million over 2 years.

This Realllllly is not that complicated.

Worst case scenario, Parker makes $20 mil and Randle makes $18 mil. If that’s the way it goes down, then neither will care 10 years from now whether it took 1 or 2 years to make that money.

Best case scenario? We don’t know that yet.

1. I can’t take you seriously when the foundation of your logic is that the amount of time spent to earn less than equivalent money is irrelevant. Whether it takes you 1 year or 50 years longer to make similar money, you’re still in worse shape.

2. You give Randle a good chance to make more money next summer, but don’t give the same benefit of the doubt for Jabari that he’ll play well enough to have his option picked up. Way too biased.
If both plays well, Jabari gets his option picked up and/or get an extension, while Randle fetches a bigger contract. However, at the exact same point in time Randle will be $31M behind Jabari on year two.
If both plays bad, Randle picks up his player option. Chicago declines Jabari’s option, and he goes to play for at least the minimum somewhere else.

Jabari makes more money in either case.
Your only hope for salvation is Randle plays good and Jabari plays bad to justify your point.

It’s reaaaaaallllllly not complicated bro
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject:

Vanquish wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Thomas Bryant having a good summer league stat line.

15 points, 9 rebounds, 2 blocks on 59% shooting.

What was the reason for waiving him at the beginning of free agency again?

If we didn't, his salary would be guaranteed and the two max plan would be up in smoke.

He's kind of a victim of timing. If we were allowed to renounce his contract after the free agency period, he would probably still be on the team.

The decision date on his contracts was AFTER FA begun on July 6th.

I think the biggest mistake by waiving him was that we don’t have lot of tradeable salary before December 15th and we could have used it to take back more money in a salary dump with Deng.

For example Deng for Lopez and Asik doesn’t work but Deng with Bryant gets you closer to matching salaries.
cital
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject:

Why hasn't McGee been added to the players salary list on the first page? He did officially sign, right?
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject:

cital wrote:
Why hasn't McGee been added to the players salary list on the first page? He did officially sign, right?

I don't think it affects things at this point. We still have the room and minimum exceptions only.
cital
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:48 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
cital wrote:

I don't think it affects things at this point. We still have the room and minimum exceptions only.

Yea, I know it doesn't affect things, but it says we have committed to signing him, but in actuality we have signed him now... but yea, I know it doesn't have an impact on anything...
cital
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject:

Honest question... Why did the Lakers decide to give guaranteed contracts in year two to our 2nd round picks? Seems unnecessary to me, especially when we will still be working towards creating the greatest amount of cap space possible... Does it give us more trade flexibility with them at all???
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:09 am    Post subject:

Aike wrote:
RowellGboy7 wrote:
Aike wrote:
Vanquish wrote:
Aike wrote:
DeeAgeaux wrote:
Parker has to work one year to get $20M

Randle has to work two years to get $18M

I would rather work half as much and make 11% more money.

Missing the forest for the trees.

Randle might make $30 million the next two years and Parker might make $25 mil. We just can’t know.

All we know is that one has a guarantee to get paid $20 million, while the other has a guarantee to make at least $18 million, barring some bizarre circumstances. The rest is just window dressing.

I still prefer Parker’s deal. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush

That’s fine if you prefer it, but Parker’s 2019-2020 salary is still in the bush.

You can’t be serious with your “arguments”. How quickly you make the most money totally matters. $20M guaranteed for 1 year of work outclasses $18M over 2 years no matter how you cut it.
You’re only arguing for the guaranteed portion, but you’ll quickly realize how ridiculous it sounds the more years you add it takes to make the $18M. What if it takes 10 years? 50 years? It absolutely matters.

OK, I’ll try again.

Randle has an opt-out next summer, so there is a good chance he will make MORE than $18 million in 2 years. Could also have more years tacked on next summer.

The Bulls have an option in year 2, so there is a good chance Jabari makes LESS than $40 million over 2 years.

This Realllllly is not that complicated.

Worst case scenario, Parker makes $20 mil and Randle makes $18 mil. If that’s the way it goes down, then neither will care 10 years from now whether it took 1 or 2 years to make that money.

Best case scenario? We don’t know that yet.

Your logic is highly flawed since your baseline assumption is Randle’s best case combined with Parker’s worst. How fair is that? It’s pretty obvious you’re trying to jump through all these convoluted hoops to try and salvage what was obviously a bad summer for Randle — the market did not value him highly at all (or he is properly valued and LG was just overrating him).
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:26 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
I'm not too worried about the Warriors signing Cousins, next season they will be needing to bump Klay up at least $10+ million, and IF he regains his previous physical health, Cousins will be looking for an additional $25/mil per season, which the Warriors will not be able to pay, as they will be over the salary cap and paying Cousins $30mil per season will cost them an addition $30mil in penalties, the first season and then it escalates each year after!

SO, if Cousins does return to form, Lakers will have a max slot open for him in the summer of 2019, so they just have to get through the next season with their platoon-core of misfit centers...

BTW: Curry will be making $40mil (2019), $43mil (2020) and $45mil (2021), so the Warriors will need to take a long hard look one what Championships cost them in the next few years...

Warriors also do not have cousin's bird rights. (bird rights are only given after spending a certain number of years on the same team. Only way they can be transferred is through a trade if I'm not wrong). GS could not pay him 30 mil even if they wanted to. Best they can do is give cousin's a percentage raise over his currently salary. Don't quote me on this because I have not checked Larry's Coon FAQ but I think its 5%.

As you said if cousins does return to form, he would be another max FA that is available in 2019. Thus signing a 1 year contract with the warriors is possibly the best thing he could have done of the lakers as opposed to either (i) signing a multi-year contract somewhere else this season or (ii) signing a one year contract with a team that actually has cap space in 2019 to keep him at the max.
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:38 am    Post subject:

Vanquish wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

Warriors also do not have cousin's bird rights. (bird rights are only given after spending a certain number of years on the same team. Only way they can be transferred is through a trade if I'm not wrong). GS could not pay him 30 mil even if they wanted to. Best they can do is give cousin's a percentage raise over his currently salary. Don't quote me on this because I have not checked Larry's Coon FAQ but I think its 5%.

As you said if cousins does return to form, he would be another max FA that is available in 2019. Thus signing a 1 year contract with the warriors is possibly the best thing he could have done of the lakers as opposed to either (i) signing a multi-year contract somewhere else this season or (ii) signing a one year contract with a team that actually has cap space in 2019 to keep him at the max.

Exactly, this is what most people miss. If he does well enough to have an impact, they literally couldn’t pay him anyway. Someone will definitely outbid them. If he plays badly, then that’s good for any contender. My hope is that he sulks and poisons then from within. How do you think Cousins will feel not playing crunch time during his contract year. It’s going to be pouting central for him.
#StayInYoLane
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:
Okafor would be interesting, but only if he's really committing himself to being an NBA player. I have no idea if that's the case.

I wouldn’t mind okafor. It seemed like he always wanted to be in LA from the start. Maybe coming here could resurrect his career.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:30 am    Post subject:

#StayInYoLane wrote:
LuciusAllen wrote:

I wouldn’t mind okafor. It seemed like he always wanted to be in LA from the start. Maybe coming here could resurrect his career.

One of the pros of signing Okafor: it would make the other moves look less bad.
George W Buss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:33 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
Lopez average 4rpg, pretty pitiful for a 7 footer, but not totally shocking considering on offense he was at the 3pt line 80% of the time..

Mo or Wagner could get 4rpg in their sleep...

but making up Randle's 8rpg will be needed.

Lebron?

I think McGee will start and Zubac will play more against teams with offensive big men (76ers, Nuggets, etc.), but I envision Lebron will play a lot as a small ball center a la Magic Johnson in the 1980s.
I believe Randle was hoped to be such player last season, but his playmaking ability was not good enough.

Last edited by George W Buss on Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:36 am; edited 1 time in total
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:08 am    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
deal wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
I want Wagner to play at least 16mpg, McGee too. I want Zu traded to the Spurs because they liked him in his draft

Hopefully we get Mo good minutes at PF, he'll get distroyed at C

Na I think he’s strictly a Center in 2018

I don't know. He's light on his feet, but he's too light in the pocket to anchor the post. He can guard stretch 4s and 5s right now, but that's it.

If you said "he's strictly a center in 2022," that would make more sense. He'll be bigger and stronger, by then, maybe a tad less lightfooted, and probably more capable of executing low-post moves, defending low-post moves, etc. Not to say that centers of the future are stuck in the low post - they won't be - but a defensive anchor will be spending more time down low than other players.

I just know that most bigs struggle guarding their position their rookie years, do to strength.. Nance, Kuz, probably Wagner. But that doesn’t make me bump them down a position, certainly not in their ensuing years outlook - even year two.
His advantages offensively are at the 5, he’s not beating any 4s decisively off the dribble. I also operate under the knowledge - that their aren’t many bully 5s today. There are 5s who rebound well, and Wagner will struggle against those guys.. but I’m not overly concerned about the impact of that.
Year 2 he’ll come back stronger like all of our bigs have
Pidge
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:30 am    Post subject:

It would be a good option to have, but considering his lack of production since his rookie season (for reasons, obviously) it would be a gamble. Not quite an Upshaw style gamble, but close. If he were to buy in to the work required of him, it could turn out well. But, considering we have two basically dead weight roster spots already (Deng and Bonga - until he shows he's ready) it's a matter of if the FO want to lose the flexibility of that final spot at this stage (if I've been keeping track properly we have 14 guys, plus the 2-way guys) as we can't afford to carry anyone else.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:38 am    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
Vanquish wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Thomas Bryant having a good summer league stat line.

15 points, 9 rebounds, 2 blocks on 59% shooting.

What was the reason for waiving him at the beginning of free agency again?

If we didn't, his salary would be guaranteed and the two max plan would be up in smoke.

He's kind of a victim of timing. If we were allowed to renounce his contract after the free agency period, he would probably still be on the team.

The decision date on his contracts was AFTER FA begun on July 6th.

I think the biggest mistake by waiving him was that we don’t have lot of tradeable salary before December 15th and we could have used it to take back more money in a salary dump with Deng.

For example Deng for Lopez and Asik doesn’t work but Deng with Bryant gets you closer to matching salaries.

This is from an old thread (keep Zubac and/or Bryant in 2018-19:

Quote:

Currently we have two young reserve Centers on the roster, and neither have received any material playing time this season outside of the G League. Both Zubac and Bryant have non-guaranteed contracts in the 2018-19 season. Both players will be 21 years old next season. Going forward, should we keep Zubac, Bryant, neither or both for the 2018-19 season?

2018-19 Salary - Ivica Zubac - $1,544,951 - guarantees on 06/30/2018

2018-19 Salary - Thomas Bryant - $1,378,242 - guarantees on 07/05/2018

Bryant's contract guarantees on 5th July, one day before free agent signings on 6th July.

So yeah, I was partially incorrect ( i thought his guarantee date was 30th June which was actually Zubac's), PG wasn't the reason his contract got waived. The Signings of Rondo, Lance and KCP are the reason he got waived, since there wouldn't be enough cap space to keep all 3 and Bryant at the same time. I think, we're full after signing all 3 plus the rookie deals.

This being said, I don't think we can keep Bryant for salary, unless perhaps we fit Lance under the room exception? Too lazy to do the math to see if that would work.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:22 am    Post subject:

So we doing this GS style... McGee to start with Zubac/Mo' backing up... LeBron/Kuzma better help the paint like Durant/Draymond do
styleripftw
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject:

Teams with all star centers are going to crush us in the paint
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject:

Don't see Lebron at center. The team is lacking interior muscle either the 3 or 4. Tariq Black would be a good pickup just as insurance.
El Seano
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject:

I have to say that the roster as currently constructed is SO much fun to play with on 2k18. There's a really decent roster file with not only all the moves and rookies but he's edited the contracts so next years FA works out realistically.

You've got LeBron who can basically do anything and everything and then once he gets hot it becomes pick your poison with Kuz, KCP, Hart, Svi all getting wide open threes. Once your bench unit comes in you don't suffer much because Rondo can pass so well. McGee is good for one or two absurd dunks a game and can protect the rim. It's really fun to play with. I'm hyped for 2k19.
#StayInYoLane
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
#StayInYoLane wrote:
LuciusAllen wrote:

One of the pros of signing Okafor: it would make the other moves look less bad.

LG needs a new whipping boy
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2585, 2586, 2587 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 2586 of 2680
Jump to: