OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2594, 2595, 2596 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
That is bull, Magic wanted George, he thought he was in the bag. Stephenson as plan B was an overreaction to losing out on George, the FO was stunned by him not meeting with them.

What can you do with a guy who won't even meet with you?

Lance was only a 1 year, 4.5m hedge so it's not as a big of a deal that you make it to be.

Maybe read the posts I responded to. Their logic is that we didn’t meet with George because we decided we didn’t want him. That isn’t true, the FO and posters here thought he was a lock. Hopefully a lesson learned.

Of course we wanted him. And Lance wasn't optimal as a Plan B, but I think Plan B was actually Rondo/Lance/KCP as a group as they represent the PG13 cap space. Not just Lance. And they are all expiring deals so they smartly punted space while signing 3 vets as placeholders (and we will have KCP's early Bird rights after this upcoming season FWIW).

Lakers knew even before July 1st that PG was sorta slipping away and by the day it grew stronger that he'd stay in OKC

Wanted him but I think between KCP/Lance/Rondo, we've got enough to offset that for this one season.

Let's hope Kawhi is not like PG
lewis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I don't like our center rotation, but if a team is posting up their centers on us and not taking higher PPP 3s, then that's fine.

I think it's more on boxing and defensive rebounding than post defense. Who will keep gobert capela towns nurkic Adams and cousins of the board?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject:

lewis wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I don't like our center rotation, but if a team is posting up their centers on us and not taking higher PPP 3s, then that's fine.

I think it's more on boxing and defensive rebounding than post defense. Who will keep gobert capela towns nurkic Adams and cousins of the board?

McGee/Wagner/Zub.

Plus we have the best rebounding guards IMO in Lonzo/Rondo/Hart.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Wanted him but I think between KCP/Lance/Rondo, we've got enough to offset that for this one season.

Yeah. It's disingenuous to suggest that Lance alone was the "Plan B" when the PG13 max slot was split into 3 rotation players in KCP/Rondo/Lance (and preserves the max slot to 2019).
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

It isn’t posting up you have to worry about, it is the drive and dunk. I think that McGee will help with that but it gets really weak after him. Zu doesn’t move that well and the Warriors had a layup line when Lebron was in the middle. At least it is something that they can correct for 2019.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
lewis wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

McGee/Wagner/Zub.

Plus we have the best rebounding guards IMO in Lonzo/Rondo/Hart.

Don't forget KCP, Ingram and James. All good rebounders for their position.

Lakers roster has some great length and activity levels on defense. Just limited and unproven at the center position.

Defensive rotations and chemistry will be interesting to watch develop. Not as concerned with the offense. But defensively they have potential that needs to be proven. Optimistically I can envision top 10 defense.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

It isn’t posting up you have to worry about, it is the drive and dunk. I think that McGee will help with that but it gets really weak after him. Zu doesn’t move that well and the Warriors had a layup line when Lebron was in the middle. At least it is something that they can correct for 2019.

So then you're concerned about the point of attack with guards/drivers?
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Yeah. It's disingenuous to suggest that Lance alone was the "Plan B" when the PG13 max slot was split into 3 rotation players in KCP/Rondo/Lance (and preserves the max slot to 2019).

Yup, LA went quantity and flexibility over quality (assuming they had options to add another star) which was the right call as long as James was willing to buy in. He did which is a credit to him.

I basically look at it this way. The last thing the league wanted was for LA to go into 2019 free agency with James, a well stocked roster and a max salary slot. Given that's what we will likely have, unless we're able to leverage that into a benefit sooner, Magic and Pelinka made the right choices.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Yup, LA went quantity and flexibility over quality (assuming they had options to add another star) which was the right call as long as James was willing to buy in. He did which is a credit to him.

I basically look at it this way. The last thing the league wanted was for LA to go into 2019 free agency with James, a well stocked roster and a max salary slot. Given that's what we will likely have, unless we're able to leverage that into a benefit sooner, Magic and Pelinka made the right choices.

Such an understated point. The fact that he, with a raging championship biological clock, didn't demand trading the youth for win-now guy shows he has a long term vision. Oh, and that 4 year deal too.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject:

lakez34 wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
lakez34 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
^^ Randle would have been our starting center.

A front court of Randle, Lebron and Ingram would have been a spacing nightmare for us offensively. Ingram/Bron could stretch the court on occasion, but pretty much all are mid-range and inside players with a need to be in the post or have ball in hand driving to the hoop. Not sure wed have had much spacing with that group unless Ingram's shot really developed significantly.

Zu and McGee provide spacing?

No but they provide size and post presence. I'm not saying Randle is a bad player, and to be clear, I was hoping we retained him, but if he was our starting center, we'd remain undersized and with poor spacing. With McGee, Zu or whoever else we acquire/sign, I assume we'll at least get a legit big man who can create some opportunities through help D and blocked shots. Offensively, it'll still be difficult. That's why I was a big fan of bringing DMC here.

It seems to me that switchability provides more value than size and shotblocking if the goal is to get through the Rockets and Warriors. Of course, the front office may have thought Randle wouldn't provide sufficient perimeter defense on switches to offset some of his other defensive and offensive deficiencies.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

YEAH, PG really turned there. I never thought he was in the bag, no one is
until they sign on the dotted line.

As for Lance, he would not have formed part of my plan B but I'll ride
with him this season and see how it goes. Rondo fills a need and KCP
wrapped up his contract with good play in the second half of last season.

The FO locked up the bigger fish so now its a matter of getting the right supporting and eventual transition pieces in place. I'll tip my hat to the FO,
I always thought we'd get only one important FA and they achieved that.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
Any good agent would never shut the door on an opportunity without doing its due diligence. Even Lebron had his people meet with philly just to hear them out. Mintz not allowing or advising PG to even meet with the Lakers was a terrible job as an agent. Even if he really wanted to be in OKC, which I dont believe that he does, you still check all of the options. There is nothing that happened in OKC in a year that made PG go from being steadfast on being a Laker to not even take a meeting with him. That has Mintz fingerprints all over it and also goes to show you how weakmined PG is that he allowed Mintz and Westbrook's influence to make him feel so pressured that he didn't even take a meeting.

From the DLo incident, to PG and now Randle, if you believe that this wasn't personal on Mintz part and that he didn't play a huge part in how things played out, you are extremely gullible.

Now that we don't have any of his clients on our roster, good riddance.

I think Maginka didn't want him, and PG13 and Mintz knew it. I'm guessing the Lakers told them they are going a different route, and so PG13 made his announcement that night to control the narrative. Maybe we are doing them a solid by letting them control it. Most are just making the assumption he spurned us. That's because the media has pushed him down our throats for 2 yrs. The same way Lonzo was pushed our way, and seemingly we had no choice but to draft him. I still think it's the right pick, but nevertheless, the media pushed him towards us. I felt from the beginning he ain't worth the max and that he'll be a drain. But people kept saying you gotta get one first, then others will follow. The idea is that Bron wouldn't come here without PG13. Turns out that wasn't the case at all, and when Maginka knew Bron was in the bag, then they started thinking bigger.

PG13 has always been about desperation to me. A so-so super star, but just because he wanted to go home, everyone was like we gotta jump on this because nobody wants to come here. OKC has lost Durant and Hardin, and watched three of their picks win back to back to back MVPs. They were even more desperate, and now they've signed on for eternal mediocrity.

I'm pretty happy how things turned out, with exception of losing Julius. We now have flexibility for a real max guy next year.

You summed it up beautifully! I agree 100%!

That is bull, Magic wanted George, he thought he was in the bag. Stephenson as plan B was an overreaction to losing out on George, the FO was stunned by him not meeting with them.

I’m going to ignore you professing to know Magic and Pelinka’s thought process and just say I wish our previous FO overreacted like Magic and Pelinka. Signing the best player on the planet, preserving cap space for another run at a deeper FA class next season by handing out one year deals to players that are young and have shown to be effective instead of blowing 135 million of cap space over 4 years on aging guys coming off injuries? Those sound like amazingly competent moves to me.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Such an understated point. The fact that he, with a raging championship biological clock, didn't demand trading the youth for win-now guy shows he has a long term vision. Oh, and that 4 year deal too.

isn't it ironic that a guy who supported 72/4(deng) and 64/4(mozgov) deals by previous Frontcourt is the one complaining about the new FO and their signing of 4.5m over 1 year?

lol
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

While I agree with your opinion and am thrilled I was wrong with my concerns of James demanding a trade for another all-star being a high priority for him signing, but there is still time before the season for the other shoe to drop.

Behind the scenes there may be pressure to make the Leonard move. Or others discussed or fantasized about.

So far I will give him credit for signing and respect to the FO for remaining patient. But one "BREAKING NEWS" announcement can change that entire narrative.

I hope this roster remains intact. I still believe the young players will surprise this season if given the chance to do so.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

While I agree with your opinion and am thrilled I was wrong with my concerns of James demanding a trade for another all-star being a high priority for him signing, but there is still time before the season for the other shoe to drop.

Behind the scenes there may be pressure to make the Leonard move. Or others discussed or fantasized about.

So far I will give him credit for signing and respect to the FO for remaining patient. But one "<b>BREAKING NEWS</b>" announcement can change that entire narrative.

I hope this roster remains intact. I still believe the young players will surprise this season if given the chance to do so.

He previously wanted a Wiggins/Love trade BEFORE he joined the Cavs, so the fact that this hasn't happened now (and since we used cap space to sign Lance, that means the Spurs will have to take back Deng in most feasible trades) means he is likely more patient.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject:

There is going to be a lot of surprised national media individuals. They have been sleeping on the Lakers young core.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

There is going to be a lot of surprised national media individuals. They have been sleeping on the Lakers young core.

Agreed. We're going to see a huge Ingram and Kuz break out year.... comparable to Tatum and Brown. And Hart will be right there too. We'll have to see about Ball and how much his injury limits his off season improvement.
In my opinion...barring any injuries I see this team making the Western Conference Finals.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject:

The roster lacks much in terms of having a reliable or proven main center for our team, perhaps there's enough collectively around here to enable the grab of a playoff slot. But it's a shaky position for 2018/19, not much getting around it.

There's no K-Love or even Tristan Thomas quality big man here, and there's sure no Chris Bosh, not so far anyway. I doubt we have even an Anderson Varejao and Ilgauskas quality tandem here either. LeBron has always had a couple big men of decent quality when his teams make a deep playoff run. We don't have that.

He will need that again. Those projections at LG for this Laker team being somehow capable right away of a deep playoff run (or of being better positioned talent-wise than last year's Cavs team) are just plain too purple-and-gold fever tainted.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

So far I will give him credit for signing and respect to the FO for remaining patient. But one "<b>BREAKING NEWS</b>" announcement can change that entire narrative.

Another option, which I speculated on after last season, is that Lebron is content to be in LA and making top dollar. Maybe that championship desire isn’t there. Not that he will take it easy, I think that like with Cleveland, he will play his hardest and try to win games but that won’t be his motivating goal.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject:

lakez34 wrote:
lakez34 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
^^ Randle would have been our starting center.

A front court of Randle, Lebron and Ingram would have been a spacing nightmare for us offensively. Ingram/Bron could stretch the court on occasion, but pretty much all are mid-range and inside players with a need to be in the post or have ball in hand driving to the hoop. Not sure wed have had much spacing with that group unless Ingram's shot really developed significantly.

Zu and McGee provide spacing?

No but they provide size and post presence. I'm not saying Randle is a bad player, and to be clear, I was hoping we retained him, but if he was our starting center, we'd remain undersized and with poor spacing. With McGee, Zu or whoever else we acquire/sign, I assume we'll at least get a legit big man who can create some opportunities through help D and blocked shots. Offensively, it'll still be difficult. That's why I was a big fan of bringing DMC here.

It seems to me that switchability provides more value than size and shotblocking if the goal is to get through the Rockets and Warriors. Of course, the front office may have thought Randle wouldn't provide sufficient perimeter defense on switches to offset some of his other defensive and offensive deficiencies.

I've been watching a lot of Lakers highlights from last season on Youtube, and it's hard not to feel a pang of regret watching the numerous highlights Randle was a part of. Admittedly, those highlights aren't going to show his limitations on offense or his defensive lapses (they still happened quite a bit despite his obvious improvement last season), but we're still going to miss his physicality and versatility. I know LeBron provides all that and more, but it would've been nice to have 2 of those guys on our team.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
Any good agent would never shut the door on an opportunity without doing its due diligence. Even Lebron had his people meet with philly just to hear them out. Mintz not allowing or advising PG to even meet with the Lakers was a terrible job as an agent. Even if he really wanted to be in OKC, which I dont believe that he does, you still check all of the options. There is nothing that happened in OKC in a year that made PG go from being steadfast on being a Laker to not even take a meeting with him. That has Mintz fingerprints all over it and also goes to show you how weakmined PG is that he allowed Mintz and Westbrook's influence to make him feel so pressured that he didn't even take a meeting.

From the DLo incident, to PG and now Randle, if you believe that this wasn't personal on Mintz part and that he didn't play a huge part in how things played out, you are extremely gullible.

Now that we don't have any of his clients on our roster, good riddance.

I think Maginka didn't want him, and PG13 and Mintz knew it. I'm guessing the Lakers told them they are going a different route, and so PG13 made his announcement that night to control the narrative. Maybe we are doing them a solid by letting them control it. Most are just making the assumption he spurned us. That's because the media has pushed him down our throats for 2 yrs. The same way Lonzo was pushed our way, and seemingly we had no choice but to draft him. I still think it's the right pick, but nevertheless, the media pushed him towards us. I felt from the beginning he ain't worth the max and that he'll be a drain. But people kept saying you gotta get one first, then others will follow. The idea is that Bron wouldn't come here without PG13. Turns out that wasn't the case at all, and when Maginka knew Bron was in the bag, then they started thinking bigger.

PG13 has always been about desperation to me. A so-so super star, but just because he wanted to go home, everyone was like we gotta jump on this because nobody wants to come here. OKC has lost Durant and Hardin, and watched three of their picks win back to back to back MVPs. They were even more desperate, and now they've signed on for eternal mediocrity.

I'm pretty happy how things turned out, with exception of losing Julius. We now have flexibility for a real max guy next year.

You summed it up beautifully! I agree 100%!

I’m going to ignore you professing to know Magic and Pelinka’s thought process and just say I wish our previous FO overreacted like Magic and Pelinka. Signing the best player on the planet, preserving cap space for another run at a deeper FA class next season by handing out one year deals to players that are young and have shown to be effective instead of blowing 135 million of cap space over 4 years on aging guys coming off injuries? Those sound like amazingly competent moves to me.

I don't doubt that the Lakers were stunned that PG didn't even meet with them, but I doubt Magic thought that PG was in the bag. His comments during the rookie introductory press conference regarding the 2 year plan the Lakers were on suggest that Magic knew something had changed with regards to PG's situation.
cital
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject:

We just need to get Deng traded before the trade deadline for expiring contracts. I really don't want to wait and "hope" a team with cap space will absorb his contract next summer... If Deng is off the books we will have enough cap space to max out a player and have an additional 12 million left to spend on another free agent...

James (37.4)
*Max Free Agent (32.7)
*Free Agent (12.0)
Ball (8.7)
Ingram (7.3)
Wagner (2.2)
Kuzma (2.0)
Hart (1.9)
Svi (1.6)
Bonga (1.4)
Min Cap Hold (0.9)
Min Cap Hold (0.9)
Total = 109
*We would also have the Room Exception to use on a free agent...

I am assuming that if Deng is traded, our 2019 1st Round Pick is likely traded with him... If we have to stretch Deng and we still have our 1st Round Pick we would probably only have around 3 million or so to spend on an additional free agent, which would be less than the Room Exception... 12 million would fetch a solid player and give us more spending power than teams with just the mid-level exception, 3 million would not bring much...
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject:

cital wrote:
We just need to get Deng traded before the trade deadline for expiring contracts. I really don't want to wait and "hope" a team with cap space will absorb his contract next summer... If Deng is off the books we will have enough cap space to max out a player and have an additional 12 million left to spend on another free agent...

James (37.4)
*Max Free Agent (32.7)
*Free Agent (12.0)
Ball (8.7)
Ingram (7.3)
Wagner (2.2)
Kuzma (2.0)
Hart (1.9)
Svi (1.6)
Bonga (1.4)
Min Cap Hold (0.9)
Min Cap Hold (0.9)
Total = 109

I am assuming that if Deng is traded, our 2019 1st Round Pick is likely traded with him... If we have to stretch Deng and we still have our 1st Round Pick we would probably only have around 3 million or so to spend on an additional free agent, which would be less than the Room Exception... 12 million would fetch a solid player and give us more spending power than teams with just the mid-level exception, 3 million would not bring much...

with a cap of 109, more teams will have have cap space next summer and deng will be an expirer. so maybe that will help
cital
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
cital wrote:

James (37.4)
*Max Free Agent (32.7)
*Free Agent (12.0)
Ball (8.7)
Ingram (7.3)
Wagner (2.2)
Kuzma (2.0)
Hart (1.9)
Svi (1.6)
Bonga (1.4)
Min Cap Hold (0.9)
Min Cap Hold (0.9)
Total = 109

with a cap of 109, more teams will have have cap space next summer and deng will be an expirer. so maybe that will help

I really don't want to wait until after the trade deadline... If we wait until summer teams will be hopeful to land their own free agents and there is a good chance we wouldn't be able to get him traded right away, and then we would lose out on free agents...
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject:

So I’m thinking the reason why David West isn’t being shown interest in FA is because he’s contemplating retirement, a lot of teams can use a championship vet who plays hard every game.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2594, 2595, 2596 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 2595 of 2680
Jump to: