OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2613, 2614, 2615 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject:

As we saw this summer, agents matter. I think the Mintz/CAA angle was displayed fully this FA.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
I'm frustrated that the Celtics were able to keep their guy (Smart), and we weren't able to keep ours.

The Celtics don’t have cap space dreams, they are at the point of fine tuning to contend.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
matrixskillz wrote:
Says a lot more about Smart's overall impact on a contender vs Randle who put up nice offensive stats in a contract year on a lottery team.

And that the Celtics are capped out while the Lakers need to remain under the cap.

Such an important point...Danny just put the team into the Luxury Tax a year early I think. This was something we weren't prepared to do for Jules (right or wrong).

Next year will be the 1st year we go into the Luxury tax (maybe). But definitely in 2 years we will be. Then it's a race to get to the next CBA opt out so the big market teams can negotiate a better deal on lux tax and hopefully do it after GS has to make some hard decisions about paying big money.

A dollar for dollar tax is no biggie for these teams...but 4.25 per dollar over is an entirely different animal and we have 4 guys that we will be hoping to extend.

Personally I think we choose the right 4...but Jules really turned me around from January on when he started playing really smart basketball on both ends.

#BannersOverBillboards
StillSWOL
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject:

What veterans besides Carmelo are buy out candidates?

Tyson Chandler?
Robin Lopez ?

Was thinking high salary vet on bad teams

Could be what Rob is saving the exception for
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
leor_77 wrote:
I'm frustrated that the Celtics were able to keep their guy (Smart), and we weren't able to keep ours.

The Celtics don’t have cap space dreams, they are at the point of fine tuning to contend.

Yup. They will be luxury tax payers for the foreseeable future, and will enter the repeater tax hell hole too with future extensions of Irving/Brown/Tatum in the next few years.

But it's the price to contend into today's NBA.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject:

StillSWOL wrote:

Tyson Chandler?
Robin Lopez ?

That's probably February 2019. A while down the road.

I think Tyson will be a candidate for the Lakers in Feb. 2019.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
It’s amazing that Smart got more money then Randle but I’m assuming being on a title contender helps, if Randle was key to our success he would have had more interest in the RFA market but he was playing with us while we kept losing so teams probably didn’t know rather Randle was worth the investment.

Because Randle and his agent are focused on money first. It’s obvious that Randle motivation was money and not winning.

Considering he went to a team that has won more says no way.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

The reason we don't have Randle is because the Lakers were hoping lightning will strike twice in the next free agency, and apparently didn't know that all they had to do was stretch Deng next year and they would have been able to sign a Max even if they signed Randle the second year he wanted.

Again, they wanted to keep tunnel visoning instead of seeing him as one of the potential great players we had and I guarantee you, had Ingram had a great season like that in the second half of the season in his contract year and he wanted more than a second year and was in Randle's position, he'd be gone too, for the sake of cap space in 2019.

Look, for the teams sake, they better hope that they signed a max in 2019. Because if they don't they're going to look really really stupid for assuming that just because they got LeBron for his reasons, that they are going to get everybody else because of that.

So, all eyes are on the 2019 free agency now. If they sign a max, they look smart, although they could have done that anyway and kept Randle... But if they don't sign a max they're going to look really dumb considering what they could have kept on a bargain.

But maybe then they would have to stop being sharks toward their young talent. And start actually Valuing them, instead of seeing them as placeholders until the free-agent comes and rescues us.

I'm blaming it on Mintz and JR being so stupid. JR MIGHT be a good player on a winning team but he didn't do enough to make sure Maginka consider him valuable. He learned nothing from his year with Kobe
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
As we saw this summer, agents matter. I think the Mintz/CAA angle was displayed fully this FA.

I have a hard time ever seeing a Mintz client wearing P&G while Maginka are in charge. Dude went from a 3 player pipe dream in DLO, Jules, and PG to jack (bleep) nothing.

#BannersOverBillboards
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

Yup. They will be luxury tax payers for the foreseeable future, and will enter the repeater tax hell hole too with future extensions of Irving/Brown/Tatum in the next few years.

I am interested to see if our ownership will pay.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

we more so saw they matter when there is a negative relationship.....Wasserman has a client on almost every NBA team, hence a relationship with almost every team.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

they will not go in like Gilbert did with the Cav's
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
It’s amazing that Smart got more money then Randle but I’m assuming being on a title contender helps, if Randle was key to our success he would have had more interest in the RFA market but he was playing with us while we kept losing so teams probably didn’t know rather Randle was worth the investment.

Because Randle and his agent are focused on money first. It’s obvious that Randle motivation was money and not winning.

Considering he went to a team that has won more says no way.

Considering that the Lakers added the worlds greatest basketball player and he knew it...
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

The Celtics are in a different cap position and Smart is Ainge's guy whereas Randle never seemed to be Maginka's priority.

Danny doesn’t have a guy and is willing to trade anyone

He'll trade Smart before that deal is done.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

I'm sure within reason. But the new CBA is a bit of unchartered territory as we have not been a championship contender within such confines.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Car54 wrote:

every player coming off their rookie scale contract should be focused on and motivated by money

And Julius joined a playoff team for the MLE.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
matrixskillz wrote:
Says a lot more about Smart's overall impact on a contender vs Randle who put up nice offensive stats in a contract year on a lottery team.

And that the Celtics are capped out while the Lakers need to remain under the cap.

Such an important point...Danny just put the team into the Luxury Tax a year early I think. This was something we weren't prepared to do for Jules (right or wrong).

Next year will be the 1st year we go into the Luxury tax (maybe). But definitely in 2 years we will be. Then it's a race to get to the next CBA opt out so the big market teams can negotiate a better deal on lux tax and hopefully do it after GS has to make some hard decisions about paying big money.

A dollar for dollar tax is no biggie for these teams...but 4.25 per dollar over is an entirely different animal and we have 4 guys that we will be hoping to extend.

Personally I think we choose the right 4...but Jules really turned me around from January on when he started playing really smart basketball on both ends.

I assume Ainge is going to sacrifice Morris and possibly Rozier before the trade deadline so he can get under the tax this season.

The Lakers can't really go from $30M under the cap to the luxury tax next season, but maybe in 2020 depending on Ingram's extension.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:

Next year will be the 1st year we go into the Luxury tax (maybe). But definitely in 2 years we will be.

Lakers are probably 3 years away from paying luxury tax bill and then 6 from the repeater tax.

This year: At salary cap
Next year: At salary cap
Following year: Close to luxury tax depending on Ingram's extension.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject:

StillSWOL wrote:

Tyson Chandler?
Robin Lopez ?

Kosta Koufos.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
matrixskillz wrote:

I assume Ainge is going to sacrifice Morris and possibly Rozier before the trade deadline so he can get under the tax this season.

The Lakers can't really go from $30M under the cap to the luxury tax next season, but maybe in 2020 depending on Ingram's extension.

Yup. And hope they have been banking some of that money b/c LBJ's championship window will be finite and once we are an above-the-cap team we will need to start re-signing some of the youngsters and/or using the full MLE to add veteran players.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject:

I guess it's also worth noting that Jeff Ayers is represented by Mitch Frankel of Impact Sports, who's other client is Kawhi. Something to keep an eye on.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
matrixskillz wrote:

Yeah I'm definitely not sure about the numbers for 2019-2020...but 2020-2021 we'll be in the tax for sure.

Doubt they sacrifice Rozier with Kyrie opting out next year...but if they did all the better...he was their most important player after Kyrie went down and in the post season imo.

#BannersOverBillboards
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:

Next year will be the 1st year we go into the Luxury tax (maybe). But definitely in 2 years we will be.

Lakers are probably 3 years away from paying luxury tax bill and then 6 from the repeater tax.

This year: At salary cap
Next year: At salary cap
Following year: Close to luxury tax depending on Ingram's extension.

I think by 2020-2021 we are definitely in the lux tax.

#BannersOverBillboards
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2016305-phil-jackson-wont-let-powerhouse-sports-agency-control-ny-knicks

It's ugly what happens when CAA gets too much leverage in an organization. I'm less worried about Klutch because James on his own has all the leverage he needs anyway, and I think his priority is winning.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

I'm sure within reason. But the new CBA is a bit of unchartered territory as we have not been a championship contender within such confines.

Even when Dr. Buss payed luxury tax he shaved off any penny he could. The Buss family has no other revenue sources, unlike most owners.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2613, 2614, 2615 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 2614 of 2680
Jump to: