OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2614, 2615, 2616 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
leor_77 wrote:
I'm frustrated that the Celtics were able to keep their guy (Smart), and we weren't able to keep ours.

The Celtics don’t have cap space dreams, they are at the point of fine tuning to contend.

Yup. They will be luxury tax payers for the foreseeable future, and will enter the repeater tax hell hole too with future extensions of Irving/Brown/Tatum in the next few years.

But it's the price to contend into today's NBA.

I am interested to see if our ownership will pay.

I'm sure within reason. But the new CBA is a bit of unchartered territory as we have not been a championship contender within such confines.

Even when Dr. Buss payed luxury tax he shaved off any penny he could. The Buss family has no other revenue sources, unlike most owners.

Even independently wealthy owners are shunning the luxury/repeater taxes.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject:

This shows the brilliance of the former Lakers FO compared to GSW.

GSW paying 18M to for Klay Thompson, Draymond Green and
A. Iguodala.

Lakers paying 18 M to for Luol Deng and to get rid of Mosgov sacrifice a second pick in NBA.

End of story.
where24happens
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject:

Let's not forget that the Buss family owns only 66% of the Lakers. The remaining is owned by a few people who are much richer than the Buss family. I don't think money will be an issue, Lakers are valued at over $3 billion and this goes up every year, revenue is going to explode this year because of Lebron and the Lakers have never shied away from paying luxury tax if we are competitive.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject:

where24happens wrote:
Let's not forget that the Buss family owns only 66% of the Lakers. The remaining is owned by a few people who are much richer than the Buss family. I don't think money will be an issue, Lakers are valued at over $3 billion and this goes up every year, revenue is going to explode this year because of Lebron and the Lakers have never shied away from paying luxury tax if we are competitive.

not sure it matters if they are richer.....the Buss family is still making the decisions and responsible for 66% of the expenses. The Lakers are their primary source of income unlike most NBA owners....they literally feel every dollar spent. I would expect them to be very shy of going deep into the tax.....they have always operated this way, and they have always brought in much more revenue than 90% of the NBA teams.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject:

where24happens wrote:

Revenue is entirely different than what the team is valued at, they would have to sell to realize that value. They have paid the luxury tax but did everything they could to minimize how much they paid. We could have had 3-4 seasons of Shaq, Kobe and Horace Grant but the team wouldn't pay the tax to keep them together.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Bear in mind, team has been making a killing profit-wise the past 5 years even without coming close to the luxury tax.

With LBJ in tow, I expect profits to increase even further thanks to things like additional merchandise sales. So hopefully they banked that for a future championship run.

But yeah, the new CBA is extremely punitive towards teams that are in championship runs.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
MJST wrote:
A qualifying offer is an insult to what he did last season... Point Blank.

He had every right to ask for his release after grabbing every single imaginary Brass Ring they put in front of him and exceeding it and still being treated like an afterthought instead of our team's best young players, which he was.

All the Lakers had to do was give him a second year, and he's still here. That's it. Slink admitted that the reason that he released Julius on his contact was to save cap space for 2019, so you have it straight from the horse's mouth.

Julius didn't want to potentially be a bench player here but he was willing to potentially be one there... curious, no?

I personally expect him to beat out Mirotic for the starting 4 spot. But as far as being a bench player here..

There's no way Julius is a bench player here.

He showed his ability to play Small ball 5 and was dominant at the 4 position and LeBron can still play the 3.

So who would Julius have been benched for? barring us getting Cousins and moving LeBron to full time 4 I don't see Julius being benched for anyone.

You watch Hart and Svi, and see how redundant and unnevessary that KCP is, you look at the numbers and see why there's no need for Lance Stephenson.

So where would Julius have lost playing time?

Look at this scenario..

The Lakers don't bring back KCP, and don't sign Lance Stephenson or McGee, they do use that money to sign Rondo on a one year. When DeMarcus Cousins calls them for 5.3M offer they take it instead of turning it down, thus preventing him from going to the Warriors, and they then re-sign Julius to a 2 year 19M deal with a player option on the 2nd year, giving him an opt out option for a bigger contract in the 2019 free agency if he plays well.

You got this going into this year now.

Starters;
Lonzo Ball
Brandon Ingram
LeBron James
Julius Randle
DeMarcus Cousins

Bench:
Rajon Rondo
Josh Hart
Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk
Kyle Kuzma
Ivica Zubac / Mo Wagner

Two things in addition to this

The only guy not on a one year option is Randle, he has a player option on year 2, which doesn't cut into our ability to sign a max that off-season.

Cousins is off the books after this year on a bargain one year deal.

Is that a better off-season scenario than the one we went with signing KCP, Lance Stephenson and JaVale McGee while Pelinka tries to act like Lance is the 2nd coming of Metta and Dennis Rodman hoping that the Lakers fans believe him?

Last edited by MJST on Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Jules and Boogie? Man. There is certainly a time to grieve our favorite guys, but we have to move on, no?
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Jules and Boogie? Man. There is certainly a time to grieve our favorite guys, but we have to move on, no?

*typing extra hard on the keyboard with "DLO" tattooed on knuckles and "Clarkson" branded on lower back

We shall NEVER forget!!
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Doesn't matter how you personally feel about Cousins. If he's calling us and offering to come here for around 5.3M on a one year deal...yeah you take that

We didn't though, and he wound up with the Warriors.

If the idea is "why get him for 5.3M now when we can go after him for 30M next off-season" then.....

If that was going to be an option anyway, you still take it, cause Cousins for 5.3M would have blown the roof off this place for one, even the people that disdained for Cousins would be giving the FO major props for landing him for so cheap in the same off-season we got LeBron.

it personally would feel like the floodgates opened, but in a good way.

Nevertheless, we said no, he's a Warrior, Jules is a Pelican, the Roy Hibbert thread got bumped which scared the [expletive] out of me and Kawhi got deported.

So on to next week in the NBA off-season!
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
2019 wrote:
MJST wrote:
A qualifying offer is an insult to what he did last season... Point Blank.

He had every right to ask for his release after grabbing every single imaginary Brass Ring they put in front of him and exceeding it and still being treated like an afterthought instead of our team's best young players, which he was.

All the Lakers had to do was give him a second year, and he's still here. That's it. Slink admitted that the reason that he released Julius on his contact was to save cap space for 2019, so you have it straight from the horse's mouth.

Julius didn't want to potentially be a bench player here but he was willing to potentially be one there... curious, no?

I personally expect him to beat out Mirotic for the starting 4 spot. But as far as being a bench player here..

There's no way Julius is a bench player here.

He showed his ability to play Small ball 5 and was dominant at the 4 position and LeBron can still play the 3.

So who would Julius have been benched for? barring us getting Cousins and moving LeBron to full time 4 I don't see Julius being benched for anyone.

You watch Hart and Svi, and see how redundant and unnevessary that KCP is, you look at the numbers and see why there's no need for Lance Stephenson.

So where would Julius have lost playing time?

Look at this scenario..

The Lakers don't bring back KCP, and don't sign Lance Stephenson or McGee, they do use that money to sign Rondo on a one year. When DeMarcus Cousins calls them for 5.3M offer they take it instead of turning it down, thus preventing him from going to the Warriors, and they then re-sign Julius to a 2 year 19M deal with a player option on the 2nd year, giving him an opt out option for a bigger contract in the 2019 free agency if he plays well.

Starters;
Lonzo Ball
Brandon Ingram
LeBron James
Julius Randle
DeMarcus Cousins

Bench:
Rajon Rondo
Josh Hart
Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk
Kyle Kuzma
Ivica Zubac / Mo Wagner

The only guy not on a one year option is Randle, he has a player option on year 2, which doesn't cut into our ability to sign a max that off-season.

Is that a better off-season scenario than the one we went with signing KCP, Lance Stephenson and JaVale McGee while Pelinka tries to act like Lance is the 2nd coming of Metta and Dennis Rodman hoping that the Lakers fans believe him?

But you missed my point which is that he's walking into a situation where he very likely might not start. NO bailed on Cousins because Mirotic was such a better fit. Julius was okay with not starting there but when he was here, it was an issue.

I agree on Cousins. I would have signed him for $5.3. No risk whatsoever other than a roster spot.

I liked Randle a lot and would love to see him and LeBron closing games together int he front court but he ASKED to be renounced.

If we move Deng's deal's we'll have $11-15MM beyond the max offer that we will surely make. I'm sure we can find tremendous depth with that. While I would gladly give that to Julius, do you really like the idea of him starting at C?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Starters;
Lonzo Ball
Brandon Ingram
LeBron James
Julius Randle
DeMarcus Cousins

Bench:
Rajon Rondo
Josh Hart
Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk
Kyle Kuzma
Ivica Zubac / Mo Wagner

But you missed my point which is that he's walking into a situation where he very likely might not start. NO bailed on Cousins because Mirotic was such a better fit. Julius was okay with not starting there but when he was here, it was an issue.

I agree on Cousins. I would have signed him for $5.3. No risk whatsoever other than a roster spot.

I liked Randle a lot and would love to see him and LeBron closing games together int he front court but he ASKED to be renounced.

If we move Deng's deal's we'll have $11-15MM beyond the max offer that we will surely make. I'm sure we can find tremendous depth with that. While I would gladly give that to Julius, do you really like the idea of him starting at C?

AD made the call to bail on Cousins. He was the one that told New Orleans that he'll be the starting 5 going forward.

Keep in mind while AD made the call for them not to get Cousins, AD was also actively recruiting Randle, as was Alvin Gentry with the roles they saw in him or that they were capable of.

One things that if it had gone a few more days without the Lakers offering Jules a contract that New Orleans would have thrown an offer sheet his way to sign.

That of course didn't happen, the Lakers let Julius go because they refused a 2nd year, and the Pelicans got him essentially for nothing.

But it says something that Davis told NO that Cousins wasn't needed, while actively trying to recruit Randle.

I'm not so sure that AD and Gentry would be recruiting Randle so hardcore if they saw him as a bench player. But we'll see what happens with Mirotic.

Keeping in mind Jules is leaving the very system that Gentry helped install in Golden State, so if Randle does start, I expect they'll be utilizing him in the Draymond role, but probably asking him to score more.

Already know however that a front court defensively of Randle and Anthony Davis is a scary thought.

Seem some people mention Mirotic is capable of playing the 3, but I don't see it.

Last edited by MJST on Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Doesn't matter how you personally feel about Cousins. If he's calling us and offering to come here for around 5.3M on a one year deal...yeah you take that

If the idea is "why get him for 5.3M now when we can go after him for 30M next off-season" then.....

If that was going to be an option anyway, you still take it, cause Cousins for 5.3M would have blown the roof off this place for one, even the people that disdained for Cousins would be giving the FO major props for landing him for so cheap in the same off-season we got LeBron.

it personally would feel like the floodgates opened, but in a good way.

Nevertheless, we said no, he's a Warrior, Jules is a Pelican, the Roy Hibbert thread got bumped which scared the [expletive] out of me and Kawhi got deported.

So on to next week in the NBA off-season!

Passing on Boogie was understandable b/c he's probably not playing until Jan/Feb of next year. Warriors can afford that luxury.

If I recall, you said that there was no way LBJ was coming here yet he's here. Let's try to be a bit more optimistic and give the FO credit for that? If so, then can't you trust that 2019 is when they will put all the pieces together?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject:

I don't think the Lakers would land

Klay/Cousins/Kawhi/Kyrie/Butler

for the same reasons they landed LeBron.

Of those 5 however I think Butler is the most likely, and to me he is better than Paul George and would be the guy I'd want to see replace KCP anyway. So there's that too.

Just about if he's able to make it through this season under Thibs or not.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Doesn't matter how you personally feel about Cousins. If he's calling us and offering to come here for around 5.3M on a one year deal...yeah you take that :lol:

He might only play 40 games, he might not play at all. There is no medical basis to believe he'll be anywhere near 100% even when/if he does return next season, and there is a better than zero chance that the injury is a career ender. You're essentially risking $5.3 million for a guy that may not even get back on the court again.

The Warriors don't care--they're favorites to go back to the Finals with or without Cousins. If he makes it back next season and is 60-70% of the player he was before the injury (according to the most recent medical review paper that seems to the be the average outcome for NBA players first season post-surgery), that's just gravy for the Warriors. But again, if he's 10% of the guy he was or can't even step on the court again, it literally doesn't effect them.

Yes, there is the extremely unlikely chance that he follows the Dominique Wilkins or Arvydas Sabonis trajectory, but for teams on the outside looking in, they don't have the luxury to bet on a 1 in 1000 or worse outcome.
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
I don't think the Lakers would land

Klay/Cousins/Kawhi/Kyrie/Butler

for the same reasons they landed LeBron.

Of those 5 however I think Butler is the most likely, and to me he is better than Paul George and would be the guy I'd want to see replace KCP anyway. So there's that too.

Just about if he's able to make it through this season under Thibs or not.

The Lakers didn't like Randle as a starter. No matter how you slice it, they think Ingram has more potential. They are building a team of switchable players, who can all dribble , pass and shoot.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @wojespn

Oklahoma City has agreed to trade Carmelo Anthony and a protected 2022 first-round pick to Atlanta for point guard Dennis Schroder and Mike Muscala, league sources tell ESPN. Anthony will be waived, and he will join team of his choice. Rockets are frontrunner.

This is insane. OKC's bill for the future will be staggering.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Hooray!

anywhere but here
eagles nut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Woj says that Muscala will likely be traded to a 3rd team. If he isn't and they buy him out, I'd give him a look.

Last edited by eagles nut on Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

Good trade for OKC they now have bench depth.
pokoy

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Oklahoma City has agreed to trade Carmelo Anthony and a protected 2022 first-round pick to Atlanta for point guard Dennis Schroder and Mike Muscala, league sources tell ESPN. Anthony will be waived, and he will join team of his choice. Rockets are frontrunner.

They went a little nuts after they broke up that WB-KD-JH HOF trio.

They need to win now. WB and PG are in their primes. Schroeder will be a good backup for WB, and Hawks needed to clear him off to get Trae Young that experience. Decent trade for both considering Melo was such a drag on OKC. I think they're going to be a handful, they could be next year's Houston. I see them switching places next season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

eagles nut wrote:
Moz says that Muscala will likely be traded to a 3rd team. If he isn't and they buy him out, I'd give him a look.

My first thought too. But what do we have? We're out of cap space.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

I’m not sure the Rockets know what made them a great team last year after how they handled this offseason.
eagles nut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject:

We can't trade for him but if he was waived/bought out we still have the room exception available.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

They went a little nuts after they broke up that WB-KD-JH HOF trio.

They need to win now. WB and PG are in their primes. Schroeder will be a good backup for WB, and Hawks needed to clear him off to get Trae Young that experience. Decent trade for both considering Melo was such a drag on OKC. I think they're going to be a handful, they could be next year's Houston. I see them switching places next season.

Yea I’m not sure the Rockets remain in the top 3 next year and wouldnt be shocked if they don’t get outta the first round.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2614, 2615, 2616 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 2615 of 2680
Jump to: