OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 124, 125, 126 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakersNewEra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject:

Wonder if having Cousins Kuzma and Ingram would be enough to contend or do we also need Paul George.. I do believe Kuzma and Ingram are both 20 ppg scorers next year. Okay Ingram maybe not but he will be at 18 ppg or so..
Not sure if PG and Ingram could play together and we dont wanna over do it either like the OKC did this year. Or do you get PG and trade Ingram?

Either way surround those 3 or 4 with role players, get a good PG and SG that can shoot, a center that can defend and we'e re in business.
You could trade Lonzo and Randle to get the pieces you need.

Like I said we will feast this summer...and could contend as early as next year.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject:

If you can get PG you don’t worry about whether Ingram is ready. Not mutually exclusive. Could have a killer lineup of

Lonzo
pg
Bi
Kuz
Boogie
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject:

I'd take even 1-All Star next year, but the idea and goal is to sign 2-Max FA's. Davis is seemingly always getting injured and NO just isn't that good, IMO. Although, they might be better than us, is it that much of a difference to sway Cousins into signing long-term there over the Lakers if we pursue him?

George is an interesting place. OKC will probably make the PO's, but I tell you that team is ugly to watch; ESPECIALLY in the last 2 minutes of a close game; ISO, ISO, ISO. Does PG want to sign a 4-5 year contract there and really deal with Westbrook's style of play?

George could be THAT GUY here; featured as a number 1 option, in a bigger market, and he's home. I hope Magic can sell him...
TheeChosenLonzo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
I'd take even 1-All Star next year, but the idea and goal is to sign 2-Max FA's. Davis is seemingly always getting injured and NO just isn't that good, IMO. Although, they might be better than us, is it that much of a difference to sway Cousins into signing long-term there over the Lakers if we pursue him?

George is an interesting place. OKC will probably make the PO's, but I tell you that team is ugly to watch; ESPECIALLY in the last 2 minutes of a close game; ISO, ISO, ISO. Does PG want to sign a 4-5 year contract there and really deal with Westbrook's style of play?

George could be THAT GUY here; featured as a number 1 option, in a bigger market, and he's home. I hope Magic can sell him...

i just doubt if George is the #1, lead kind of guy.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject:

Gonna be ultra difficult to convince just 1 star (in his prime) to join a non playoff team when he has other options... don’t see it. Way more probable to sign 2 at the same time or fail miserably
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject:

The thing is that he might not have many other options as you put it. He is somewhat at the mercy of Melo. If Melo opts in I just can't see OKC justifying the additional cost of keeping PG too which would be well over $50 million/year once you account for the luxury tax. Now you have a homeless PG and only 5 teams with at least 30 million in cap-space as it stands: Lakers, Bulls, Mavs, Sixers, and Hawks. The Sixers are our only competition, though they unfortunately make a ton of sense.

Ultimately it depends on how we ride out this season and to a large extent the Sixers (namely Embiid's health).
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
If you can get PG you don’t worry about whether Ingram is ready. Not mutually exclusive. Could have a killer lineup of

Lonzo
pg
Bi
Kuz
Boogie

Boogie, Kuz, and PG being legitimate perimeter threats would open up a lot of space.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Lakesh0wtime wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:
I think we will feast this summer...after a long long time.

Paul George situation in OKC.. doesnt seem to be working out.

Cousins situation in NO....he is averaging amazing numbers, 26-14-6 but him and Davis while they can play together probably not the best fit.

I can definitely see us getting one of them...if not both.

Yessir.

Although I'm holding out hope we can get Klay next year

Yes, have have to keep reminding ourselves this is a punt year. We are just developing the young folks. That this team will look very different next season. Klay would be a nice addition. Best 3&D player ever.

Yes we are tanking. Only without a pick.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
REALLY hard to imagine Klay leaving a situation like the Warriors. Plus, I'm sure his pops would tell him to stay there.

Yes, when the hope is that a guy will tire of winning championships there really isn’t much hope.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
Lakesh0wtime wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:
I think we will feast this summer...after a long long time.

Paul George situation in OKC.. doesnt seem to be working out.

Cousins situation in NO....he is averaging amazing numbers, 26-14-6 but him and Davis while they can play together probably not the best fit.

I can definitely see us getting one of them...if not both.

Yessir.

Although I'm holding out hope we can get Klay next year

Yes, have have to keep reminding ourselves this is a punt year. We are just developing the young folks. That this team will look very different next season. Klay would be a nice addition. Best 3&D player ever.

Yes we are tanking. Only without a pick.

You have no evidence that we are tanking, just cause the team can't win consistently doesn't mean there tanking the team is trying to win games you can see it.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
TheeChosenLonzo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
I think we have great great great chances at
Cousins, PG, Thompson, Butler. Like at worst we'll be the 2nd on their lists. Bron is 0%, youngsters aren't playing/shooting well enough

IMO if you want jimmy or Klay we have to give up Ingram and maybe kuz via trade. Otherwise doubt we punt 35m in cap space for 2019.

Hmmm.. I really didn't foresee this issue.. we gotta keep our fricking capspace for stars, man. If we can only get one this summer, why not punt the other slot $ for 2019? Don't pay KCP and Lopez.. nooo.

I truly think it’s 2 or 0 stars. I don’t think our current young core by itself is enough of a lure.

I disagree, a Laker fan like cousins would love to come and play for us. other star or not

Like lakers fan droz or Kobe fan KD? I don’t see a star making the leap and in the case of pg and boogie leaving an all nba teammate to join our shaky young core.

I agree with Jim, I could see Cousins coming solo. I don’t think that winning is as ingrained in him as it could be in others.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject:

davidse wrote:

There's more flexibility there.

For the right player Lakers can easily get to over 15.5 mil $ by "dumping" Zubac, Hart, Bryant, Ennis.
For the right player - they'll do it.
(for example, this could be the difference between keeping Clarkson or being able to sign someone like Bradley...).

They can probably get a few 2nd rounders for a few of these guys too.

All depends on who's available in free agency.

If you're talking Lebron ? then Nance is out too, clearing another 1.4 mil and probably bringing in some more picks.

Fwiw, I'd say cutting Ennis at this point is very likely, so the figure we should be looking at is about 13.5 mil $ as a Clarkson alternative with room to clear another 2 mil $.

Yes, there are variations to prune the salary some more, but with an alarm clock ringing in five hours, only had time for the basics.

In regards to getting some picks for players that might need to be moved next summer, maybe yes and maybe no.

When other teams know that some roster moves need to be done ASAP, they might drag their feet some to help.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
The thing is that he might not have many other options as you put it. He is somewhat at the mercy of Melo. If Melo opts in I just can't see OKC justifying the additional cost of keeping PG too which would be well over $50 million/year once you account for the luxury tax. Now you have a homeless PG and only 5 teams with at least 30 million in cap-space as it stands: Lakers, Bulls, Mavs, Sixers, and Hawks. The Sixers are our only competition, though they unfortunately make a ton of sense.

Ultimately it depends on how we ride out this season and to a large extent the Sixers (namely Embiid's health).

That depends on how competitive the Thunder three are in the playoffs this year, imo. It would be just one season of a heavy luxury tax hit before Anthony comes off their books, anyway.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject:

I have not seen 1 single person besides VLF suggest that we are tanking, were do you get these ideas from? From voices in your head? If someone has a brain they will know that you can see the team trying to win. There is no reason to throw away games anymore, unless you want the Celtics to get better.
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject:

Lot of dream scenarios being floated out there, but more likely than not, the chances are the Lakers fail to land a big fish free agent.

Then the question is, what do the Lakers do with all that cap space? Reacquire Mozgov?
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject:

^It makes absolutely no sense for the lakers to tank. What is their incentive? They have no draft pick. Do they want to just be nice to the 76ers or Celtics
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
^It makes absolutely no sense for the lakers to tank. What is their incentive? They have no draft pick. Do they want to just be nice to the 76ers or Celtics

It seems like VLF does indeed want the Celtics and Sixers to get better by getting another high pick, no true fan right now would apply that we are tanking.
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

Tanking ie team isn't very good. When Kupchak signed Mozgod and and Dung he actually thought the Lakers could contend. When, they were right back praying for lottery balls by mid season.

Lakers will be back in the lotto this year, so either Boston will get a fat pick or Philly a pretty nice pick. If the Lakers win the lottery, Philly would get the number 1 pick and all hell will break loose.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject:

lakers4life78 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Tanking ie team isn't very good. When Kupchak signed Mozgod and and Dung he actually thought the Lakers could contend. When, they were right back praying for lottery balls by mid season.

Lakers will be back in the lotto this year, so either Boston will get a fat pick or Philly a pretty nice pick. If the Lakers win the lottery, Philly would get the number 1 pick and all hell will break loose.

Another reason that you bought up, would not shock me if the Lakers try adding a good player to help them win, kinda like the Bucks getting Bledsoe, the FO does not want to go through the thought of a rival becoming significantly better by there own doing, so yeah I would say if we hover around 500 Ball, I'm betting that we make a push to acquire a legit player to make a run for the playoffs, unless the Lakers have no shame.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject:

lakers4life78 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

For sure. This team isn’t constructed to win, we are about as unbalanced as we could be. Like the previous 4 seasons, we didn’t set out to lose but due to the allure of FAs, didn’t make the moves to win. No different this season, we sacrifice it for the hope of next season.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject:

lakers4life78 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Right, but that’s not tanking. They want to win, they just aren’t very good. Last year, the tanking was clear. They traded away Lou Williams who was sometimes the only offense and had some major tanking lineups with tank commander Ennis. Little did they know he wasn’t about tanking

I could see Magic and Pelinka adding to this team if it doesn’t take away from 2018 max cap space. The incentive this year is win as many games as possible to attract the Max FAs.

Tanking is for someone like the Bulls, who own their pick and desperately need one of the top prospects.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

For sure. This team isn’t constructed to win, we are about as unbalanced as we could be. Like the previous 4 seasons, we didn’t set out to lose but due to the allure of FAs, didn’t make the moves to win. No different this season, we sacrifice it for the hope of next season.

Showing your true colors i see, the Lakers do have there mindset on the FA next summer but they also bought in pieces that can help us compete this season, most of our games have been close we should have a better record right now. but we should listen to you right?
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Lonzo
pg
Bi
Kuz
Boogie

I really hope that's what our lineup is next year. Could be an 8 seed.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Lonzo
pg
Bi
Kuz
Boogie

Depending on our youth that can be a top 3 seed in the West.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Lonzo
pg
Bi
Kuz
Boogie

Depending on our youth that can be a top 3 seed in the West.

I'd say 5th seed behind GSW, SAS, HOU, and MIN. Thankfully getting Boogie and PG13 would help crater OKC and the Pelicans, too.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 124, 125, 126 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 125 of 2680
Jump to: