OFFICIAL 2017-18 FREE AGENCY/TRADES THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 193, 194, 195 ... 245, 246, 247  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:11 am    Post subject:

^
Paul George is an absolutely perfect fit for the 76ers. I do think LeBron would be good for any team, but I agree with Joe Pesci that the fit is a little bit questionable given that they want Ben Simmons to quarterback that team, and he would be a little bit marginalized if they got LeBron. And LeBron is not going to turn into a spot-up 3-point shooter with Simmons having the ball in his hands the most. That's just not going to happen. They might be OK with Simmons taking on a lesser role...after all, most Laker fans, I think, would be OK with Lonzo getting marginalized next season. (Of course, Lonzo has not played remotely close to as good as Simmons has.)

But yeah, PG would fit in seamlessly with what the Sixers want to do.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:22 am    Post subject:

1. Trade Clarkson, Randle and 2018 2nd round pick (Nuggets) to Brooklyn for Booker, Acy and 2018 1st round pick (Raptors).

2. Trade KCP, Nance, 2018 1st round pick (Raptors) and 2019 2nd round pick (Bulls) to OKC for George.

New Roster:

PF- Kuzma, Booker, Acy
SF-Ingram, Brewer, Deng
C-Lopez, Zubac, Bryant
PG-Ball, Innis, Caruso
SG-George, Hart, Blue
MJST
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:48 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
Paul George is an absolutely perfect fit for the 76ers. I do think LeBron would be good for any team, but I agree with Joe Pesci that the fit is a little bit questionable given that they want Ben Simmons to quarterback that team, and he would be a little bit marginalized if they got LeBron. And LeBron is not going to turn into a spot-up 3-point shooter with Simmons having the ball in his hands the most. That's just not going to happen. They might be OK with Simmons taking on a lesser role...after all, most Laker fans, I think, would be OK with Lonzo getting marginalized next season. (Of course, Lonzo has not played remotely close to as good as Simmons has.)

Considering how close Simmons and LeBron are and how LeBron has taken him under his wing, I doubt there'd be an issue between him and Simmons. If anything it would make life much easier for LeBron, especially having Simmons to mentor.
Joe Pesci
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject:

Tough when one of your primary guys (Simmons) canít make a catch and shoot jumpshot.

You have some things to learn about fit MJ if you think you can just throw any parts together, even talented ones, and they will work.

Simmons is essentially A 6í10 Rondo right now. He orchestrates that offense with the ball in hands often. Unfortunately, James is essentially a PG as well and does the same job.

James can shoot, so thatís cool, but Simmons shoots as well as Rondo. Heíll have a very difficult time playing off of James effectively. If Simmons could shoot, it would have a chance, but since he canít, really never has, and is probably years away developing a jumpshot, itís a bad fit.

Simmons and James would have to change the fabric of the way theyíve played their whole lives for it to work, and, yeah, they could do that, but youíd be asking too much of them to dramatically change their games.

Sometimes itís just a bad fit.
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
paul george via his agent has made it clear he wants to go to LA, MJST

And then once he got to OKC he started talking about how young and away the Lakers are.

George got what he wanted. He used the Lakers name, lowered his value enough so that the team that traded for him didn't get rid of the barn because of that, and wound up in OKC with last years MVP and Carmelo.

So yeah, George isn't the first to use the Lakers name and get that, and won't be the last.

Don't be the one when George decides on the best winning situation for himself his off-season that's left going "But ... but he promised!!" Because we've seen it happen so many times it's easy to understand and see what max level free agents prioritize over all else.

Oh God, he said he wanted to come to LA on national TV, when he was interviewed by Woj. This using the Lakers for leverage is silly.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject:

So Dr. No, aka MJST, what is your master plan for the next 2 years for the Lakers since you seemingly don't want LBJ or PG13 on this team? Could you give us a concise vision of how you take this team to the playoffs next season, then a top 3-4 seed by 2019?
BI
Kuz
Boogie

Keep Jules
PHILosophize
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject:

I agree with MJST in that LeBron to Philly is not a bad fit. All they would really need to do is stagger LeBron and Simmons' minutes and as was said, lessen Simmons role a bit - problem solved.
PHILosophize
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject:

Wildchild027 wrote:
MJST wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
paul george via his agent has made it clear he wants to go to LA, MJST

And then once he got to OKC he started talking about how young and away the Lakers are.

George got what he wanted. He used the Lakers name, lowered his value enough so that the team that traded for him didn't get rid of the barn because of that, and wound up in OKC with last years MVP and Carmelo.

So yeah, George isn't the first to use the Lakers name and get that, and won't be the last.

Don't be the one when George decides on the best winning situation for himself his off-season that's left going "But ... but he promised!!" Because we've seen it happen so many times it's easy to understand and see what max level free agents prioritize over all else.

Oh God, he said he wanted to come to LA on national TV, when he was interviewed by Woj. This using the Lakers for leverage is silly.

Agreed it was more than just leverage.
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^

Considering how close Simmons and LeBron are and how LeBron has taken him under his wing, I doubt there'd be an issue between him and Simmons. If anything it would make life much easier for LeBron, especially having Simmons to mentor.

It has nothing to do with their closeness, but Simmons has thrive with nothing, but shooters around him. Redick is shooting 39% from three, Covington is shooting 41%, hell Saric is 34%, and that would be second highest percentage in our starting lineup.
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
I agree with MJST in that LeBron to Philly is not a bad fit. All they would really need to do is stagger LeBron and Simmons' minutes and as was said, lessen Simmons role a bit - problem solved.

It's a bad fit because Simmons thrive when surrounded by shooting. LeBron isn't a spot up shooter. Only like 31% of the threes he's making o are assisted on. Then you have the fit on defense. Who guard point guards? Who guards wings?
ringfinger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject:

Ideal player for Sixers is Klay Thompson IMO.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
1. Trade Clarkson, Randle and 2018 2nd round pick (Nuggets) to Brooklyn for Booker, Acy and 2018 1st round pick (Raptors).

2. Trade KCP, Nance, 2018 1st round pick (Raptors) and 2019 2nd round pick (Bulls) to OKC for George.

New Roster:

PF- Kuzma, Booker, Acy
SF-Ingram, Brewer, Deng
C-Lopez, Zubac, Bryant
PG-Ball, Innis, Caruso
SG-George, Hart, Blue

What about worrying about getting Deng off the roster before getting George.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Ideal player for Sixers is Klay Thompson IMO.

Ideal available player in 2018 FA is Avery Bradley for them IMO. Klay I would take too, but he's under contract and an essential core piece.
BI
Kuz
Boogie

Keep Jules
PHILosophize
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject:

Wildchild027 wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:

It's a bad fit because Simmons thrive when surrounded by shooting. LeBron isn't a spot up shooter. Only like 31% of the threes he's making o are assisted on. Then you have the fit on defense. Who guard point guards? Who guards wings?

Fultz
Covington
Simmons
Lebron
Embiid

That's a damn good lineup if you ask me. The point about shooting is valid but like I said they will heavily stagger Simmons and Lebron's minutes so that they aren't both on the floor at the same time often. And it's not like LeBron is trash at 3s. Fultz guards point guards, Covington and Simmons guard the wings.

Then they also have Saric off the bench and would probably be able to sign more shooting at the vet min (maybe Frye, for example).

Lastly, they could opt to trade Fultz to have more depth - he could be the Wiggins type of guy that they trade.
PHILosophize
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject:

If I'm LeBron, I'm choosing between Cleveland and Philly. Really the only downsides to Philly are 1) health of the roster and 2) it doesn't have the business/intangibles side of things. It could also hurt his legacy (or at least not improve it) if he doesn't win anything of substance there. At the same time, if he does win a chip there, he will be thought of as the guy who wins chips wherever he goes. But I think that assuming health, Philly is his best bet from a basketball perspective. Cleveland is the safe choice because it will only help his legacy to continue to win there. He also might want to be the owner someday, apparently, and staying there will not hurt his chances. I consider LA to be a distant third choice for him because really all we can offer him are the intangibles.

Last edited by PHILosophize on Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:02 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject:

I think LBJ + Simmons/Embiid is too fantastic of a core to pass up. They'd worry about figuring it out later. The shooting would be suspect, but man, that's a crazy team to beat.
BI
Kuz
Boogie

Keep Jules
cal1piggy
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject:

If Boston does not want to up their salaries through trade, then I also see 76ers as primary competition for James, PG and Boogie.

The thing about James is he probably believes he can make the difference in any of the 3 teams. So the question is which team would give him a better chance to win it all. And if that is not the Lakers, is that compensated by Lakers' entertainment industry possibilities.

In terms of which team helps him win, lets compare:

Lakers core: Ball/(PG)/BI/Kuz/Randle - this assumes we get PG (or Boogie) and keep Randle instead of Clarkson
With James: Ball/PG/BI/James/Randle - with 6th man Kuz

76ers core: Simmons/Embiid/Covington/Saric/Fultz? - this assumes 76ers can only sign 1 max FA
With James: Simmon/Fultz/Covington/James/Embiid with 6th man Saric

With that comparison for the next 2 years:
Ball < Simmons -- how much will either improve this year
PG >> Fultz -- how much will Fultz improve this year
BI ? Covington
James = James
Randle << Embiid
Kuz ? Saric

I would say that is pretty close. The key is the point guard. Does James think Ball can be the guy or is it too risky to him by the end of the year. He is smart enough to know that the assists would go up with PG and James himself, but Ball's shooting % needs to go up. Another question is how will Fultz play when he is healthy.

Last edited by cal1piggy on Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:27 am; edited 2 times in total
LakerSD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Mavericksí Nerlens Noel expects to miss 4-6 weeks with thumb surgery

adkindo
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Quote:
Mavericksí Nerlens Noel expects to miss 4-6 weeks with thumb surgery

doubt Carlisle realizes he is gone
adkindo
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think LBJ + Simmons/Embiid is too fantastic of a core to pass up. They'd worry about figuring it out later. The shooting would be suspect, but man, that's a crazy team to beat.

I agree on the surface....my only caution would be you never know how introducing a player like LBJ with his significant impact will effect others development....and they are one of the very few teams (maybe only team) that can be sure if healthy they will develop into a contender with their young core. Not sure I would want Embiid and Simmons to get comfortable relying on James.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:

New Roster:

PF- Kuzma, Booker, Acy
SF-Ingram, Brewer, Deng
C-Lopez, Zubac, Bryant
PG-Ball, Innis, Caruso
SG-George, Hart, Blue

Interesting trades and accomplishes a few goals. Still don't think OKC would trade PG, rather just let him walk and gain the cap flexibility but I would obv do that deal.
Inspector Gadget
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject:

Most Lakers stuff on the podcasts and radio have been about ways the team can get Paul George
AFireInside619
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject:

Anymore roster building for the Sixers and I'm gonna go puke...
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
If Boston does not want to up their salaries through trade, then I also see 76ers as primary competition for James, PG and Boogie.

The thing about James is he probably believes he can make the difference in any of the 3 teams. So the question is which team would give him a better chance to win it all. And if that is not the Lakers, is that compensated by Lakers' entertainment industry possibilities.

Lakers core: Ball/(PG)/BI/Kuz/Randle - this assumes we get PG (or Boogie) and keep Randle instead of Clarkson

76ers core: Simmons/Embiid/Covington/Saric/Fultz? - this assumes 76ers can only sign 1 max FA

I would say that is pretty close. The key is the point guard. Does James think Ball can be the guy or is it too risky to him by the end of the year. He is smart enough to know that the assists would go up with PG and James himself, but Ball's shooting % needs to go up. Another question is how will Fultz play when he is healthy.

Yeah, but Sixers will have two stars in Embid & Simmons; so it is 2 + 1 = 2 stars + 1 superstar
cal1piggy
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject:

lakerican wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

Yeah, but Sixers will have two stars in Embid & Simmons; so it is 2 + 1 = 2 stars + 1 superstar

With James: Ball/PG/BI/James/Randle - with 6th man Kuz

With James: Simmon/Fultz/Covington/James/Embiid with 6th man Saric

With that comparison for the next 2 years:
Ball < Simmons -- how much will either improve this year
PG >> Fultz -- how much will Fultz improve this year
BI ? Covington
James = James
Randle << Embiid
Kuz ? Saric

Another question - how would these 2 teams match up against Golden State
Ball < Curry
PG = Thompson
BI < Durant
James > Green
Randle > some center
kuz ? Igudola

alternatively:
Curry > Simmons -- how much will either improve this year
Thompson >> Fultz -- how much will Fultz improve this year
Durant > Covington
Green < James
any center <<< Embiid - biggest mismatch
Igudola ? Saric
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 193, 194, 195 ... 245, 246, 247  Next
Page 194 of 247
Jump to: