Question on Puerto Rico's Situation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Question on Puerto Rico's Situation

Question on Puerto Rico's Situation:

Since PR people are american citizens. What would stop every single PR person from coming to the states until they get everything back rolling on the island?

Can't we use the same protocol in the PR situation as we did for Katrina victims from NO and MS residents that lived by the Gulf? Where they started dispersing them to different close states like texas, and giving them fema checks/housing,etc.

I would rather they get up outta there, be safe. Only people there are those doing logistics and trying to figure out how to fix what. It could move the infrastructure projects along much faster too if you dont have regular citizens to worry about.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject:

This is happening, actually. There are Puerto Rican refugees arriving along the Gulf Coast and probably elsewhere. However, as President Trump explained, Puerto Rico is an island. It's surrounded by water. Big water. Ocean water.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
This is happening, actually. There are Puerto Rican refugees arriving along the Gulf Coast and probably elsewhere. However, as President Trump explained, Puerto Rico is an island. It's surrounded by water. Big water. Ocean water.
U needta quit AH

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Nothing is stopping them. Not sure if the government would spread them if let's say too many go to Florida (Orlando and Miami probably) or New York.

Heck, my brother asked my mom if she wanted to come stay with him till things get better. Same thing with my aunt asking my grandparents.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the PR population goes down for the next year or so.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
Nothing is stopping them. Not sure if the government would spread them if let's say too many go to Florida (Orlando and Miami probably) or New York.

Heck, my brother asked my mom if she wanted to come stay with him till things get better. Same thing with my aunt asking my grandparents.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the PR population goes down for the next year or so.

If the power is out for as long as they are saying it will be and rest of infrastructure so messed up it might be the best thing for the elderly, kids and disabled/sick to be someplace else for now.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I needed a good chuckle.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on Puerto Rico's Situation

splashmtn wrote:
Since PR people are american citizens. What would stop every single PR person from coming to the states until they get everything back rolling on the island

only their personal situation and decision....but the "temporary migration" started soon after the storm. Most people on the island have family and friends on the mainland......Florida, Gulf Coast, and NYC airports have had heavy traffic from PR for the past week. In the end, the majority of people are unable and/or prefer not to leave their home for a long period.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Question on Puerto Rico's Situation

adkindo wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Since PR people are american citizens. What would stop every single PR person from coming to the states until they get everything back rolling on the island

only their personal situation and decision....but the "temporary migration" started soon after the storm. Most people on the island have family and friends on the mainland......Florida, Gulf Coast, and NYC airports have had heavy traffic from PR for the past week. In the end, the majority of people are unable and/or prefer not to leave their home for a long period.
i could see that a lot of people were making their way back to the mainland on their own. but I was saying, perhaps the US needed to get them all out of there. you wont have to be afraid of someone stealing your stuff if no one is around but people working on construction projects(well they could steal your stuff i guess.) but you get the point.

all 3. something mill come on to the states for the next year or so. we fix up that infrastructure, then you can go back home. hopefully your kids dont miss too much school.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Question on Puerto Rico's Situation

splashmtn wrote:

Since PR people are american citizens. What would stop every single PR person from coming to the states until they get everything back rolling on the island?

Can't we use the same protocol in the PR situation as we did for Katrina victims from NO and MS residents that lived by the Gulf? Where they started dispersing them to different close states like texas, and giving them fema checks/housing,etc.

I would rather they get up outta there, be safe. Only people there are those doing logistics and trying to figure out how to fix what. It could move the infrastructure projects along much faster too if you dont have regular citizens to worry about.

I read somewhere that enough Puerto Ricans are moving to Florida that it could tip the political balance in that swing state toward the Democratic Party.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject:

They absolutely can and prob should since the infrastructure is gonna take time to be fixed. Just a small thing, they won't be PR refugees, just Americans moving to another state.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
They absolutely can and prob should since the infrastructure is gonna take time to be fixed. Just a small thing, they won't be PR refugees, just Americans moving to another state.

They now, however, will have the privilege of paying federal taxes.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on Puerto Rico's Situation

markjay wrote:
splashmtn wrote:

I read somewhere that enough Puerto Ricans are moving to Florida that it could tip the political balance in that swing state toward the Democratic Party.

on a national stage, its a purple state, and the majority of Puerto Ricans do register as Democrats....so sure it is possible...but the whole island is only 3.4 million people...I think it is more about the candidate and will continue to be for a while in which way FL goes in national elections. Florida always went Clinton (Bill) and Obama.

We are about to surpass NY as the state with the highest population of residents of Puerto Rican origin, and they are closing the gap on Cuban Americans, the largest Hispanic population in the state.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
governator wrote:

Don't they already do?

From my limited understanding PR pays a majority of US federal taxes including import/export, federal commodities, social security, medicare, payroll, the big lone exception being a federal personal income tax.

If you're a PR resident, you have the right to question whether being a territory of the US is really worth it in the aftermath of this disaster.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
governator wrote:

Don't they already do?

From my limited understanding PR pays a majority of US federal taxes including import/export, federal commodities, social security, medicare, payroll, the big lone exception being a federal personal income tax.

If you're a PR resident, you have the right to question whether being a territory of the US is really worth it in the aftermath of this disaster.

pretty sure he was referring to Federal Income Taxes, which is a big reason many on the island have been against statehood. Not sure I agree with your thoughts on being a US Territory....I mean if they were not a territory, they would not have FEMA and the US responding to their needs. Trying to stay out of political points, but Puerto Rico has a lot of problems that have built up over decades....and they will not be fixed quickly. Though not directly related to the disaster....those problems are only magnified whenever their is an unexpected negative event like the hurricane.

Unless Puerto Rico makes massive changes to their political, economic and social structures, they would be much worse off without the United States. I think anyone that has spent time in Puerto Rico walks away shaking their heads....I love Puerto Rico and the people on the island, but it could be sooo much more. There could be sooo much more opportunity for the residents. It is a beautiful and unique place. It is a democracy, so I guess the people get the leadership they deserve.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
governator wrote:

Don't they already do?

pretty sure he was referring to Federal Income Taxes, which is a big reason many on the island have been against statehood. Not sure I agree with your thoughts on being a US Territory....I mean if they were not a territory, they would not have FEMA and the US responding to their needs. Trying to stay out of political points, but Puerto Rico has a lot of problems that have built up over decades....and they will not be fixed quickly. Though not directly related to the disaster....those problems are only magnified whenever their is an unexpected negative event like the hurricane.

Unless Puerto Rico makes massive changes to their political, economic and social structures, they would be much worse off without the United States. I think anyone that has spent time in Puerto Rico walks away shaking their heads....I love Puerto Rico and the people on the island, but it could be sooo much more. There could be sooo much more opportunity for the residents. It is a beautiful and unique place. It is a democracy, so I guess the people get the leadership they deserve.

A major reason for their present struggle in the aftermath is because they're not (and most likely never will be) recognized as a US state. Despite all efforts and referendums to create a pathway toward that goal, Washington politics will not allow for the incorporation of former colonial possessions (which PR is one of several) to statehood. And yet, PR still pays its taxes to the US government. Last year they contributed $3.6 billion in federal taxes; that's not far off from states like Vermont or Wyoming which paid $4.5billion the same fiscal year (including income tax). That money could have gone to improving the standard of living that you mention or to run a more effective legislative body.

So if the US government (and more specifically, the current administration under Trump) considers PR a "burden" for providing FEMA disaster relief, let them have their full autonomy in lieu of all the financial contributions they make in spite of a lack of representation in US legislature.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
governator wrote:

Don't they already do?

A major reason for their present struggle in the aftermath is because they're not (and most likely never will be) recognized as a US state. Despite all efforts and referendums to create a pathway toward that goal, Washington politics will not allow for the incorporation of former colonial possessions (which PR is one of several) to statehood. And yet, PR still pays its taxes to the US government. Last year they contributed $3.6 billion in federal taxes; that's not far off from states like Vermont or Wyoming which paid $4.5billion the same fiscal year (including income tax). That money could have gone to improving the standard of living that you mention or to run a more effective legislative body.

So if the US government (and more specifically, the current administration under Trump) considers PR a "burden" for providing FEMA disaster relief, let them have their full autonomy in lieu of all the financial contributions they make in spite of a lack of representation in US legislature.

Wyoming actually paid a little more...$5.3 Billion, but population has to be considered...Vermont has 625,000 residents and Wyoming has 586,000 residents compared to Puerto Rico has over 3.4 Million residents. When looked at per capita, Vermont pays about 7x and Wyoming 9x....even the most impoverished states such as Mississippi and West Virginia pay about 4x as much as PR...Florida 8x...California 10x. Puerto Rico would pay far more in Federal Taxes if the residents paid a Federal Income Tax.

In my opinion, in the current structure, you could give PR an additional $3.5 Billion or $10.5 Billion....and very little would actually go to improving the citizens standard of living. It has just been an.....some may consider "corrupt" too strong of a description....but at best "extremely irresponsible" government operation for decades. I do not think whether a politician or leader views them as a burden or not will be relevant in the end....the obligation for assistance is there and being provided.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject:

A Whitefish contract obtained by The Associated Press found that the deal included $20,277 an hour for a heavy lift Chinook helicopter, $650 an hour for a large crane truck, $322 an hour for a foreman of a power line crew, $319 an hour for a journeyman lineman and $286 an hour for a mechanic. Each worker also gets a daily allowance of $80 for food, $332 for a hotel room and $1,000 for each flight to or from the mainland.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
A Whitefish contract obtained by The Associated Press found that the deal included $20,277 an hour for a heavy lift Chinook helicopter, $650 an hour for a large crane truck, $322 an hour for a foreman of a power line crew, $319 an hour for a journeyman lineman and $286 an hour for a mechanic. Each worker also gets a daily allowance of $80 for food, $332 for a hotel room and $1,000 for each flight to or from the mainland.

It's a shame. Taking advantage of tragedy should be punishable. This administration is shameless. It's all about the Benjamins. How could they think this contract would not be voided?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:

The contract got canceled. We'll see what happens with the investigation.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
U needta quit AH

He's been on fire lately.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:

There were also stipulations in the contract that the government couldn't audit Whitefish or ask about costs/profit, and also couldn't hold Whitefish accountable for any delays, apparently. What a naked cash grab attempt, they did everything but write in big letters on the top that they were stealing from the government.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: