Sexual Harassment Accusations (Weinstein sentenced to 23 years; Weinstein put in isolation after contracting virus) BILL COSBY RELEASED pg44
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject:

‘He sold out’ is much different than ‘he sold out Madison Square Garden’.

‘I shot him’ is much different than ‘I shot him a glance’.

c’mon, j
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:

c’mon, j

I said I read a article. I was asked for a link, I gave one. The link said he sold out Madison Square Garden. I should have said venues in the first post. It's be awhile since I read the article. If you want to play the semantics game OK.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Wolverine
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:

c’mon, j

I said I read a article. I was asked for a link, I gave one. The link said he sold out Madison Square Garden. I should have said venues in the first post. It's be awhile since I read the article. If you want to play the semantics game OK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selling_out
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selling_out#Comedy
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:

c’mon, j

I don’t want to play any game that requires me to proofread your posts.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
jodeke wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:

c’mon, j

I don’t want to play any game that requires me to proofread your posts.

Instead of c'mon j, if there was a problem would it cause harm to ask what I meant by sold out? DMR asked, I explained what I meant to him. You've read my post enough to know I'm sometimes not clear with my intentions.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
The general silence regarding this Argento business is a beautifully wrapped gift to the people that hope to discredit the progress that has been made in the last year.

Argento was abused and did what many victims do: victimize someone else. This is a great opportunity to further the discussion beyond the splashy headlines and into the root causes. Argento doesn't hurt the movement because she abused the boy, she illustrates the cycle of abuse that we are struggling to end. Ignoring that vital part of the discussion perpetuates it.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Wolverine wrote:
Louis CK returned to the stage this past weekend, albeit a small stage that is the Comedy Cellar in New York.

I'm glad he's back doing stand-up again but my feelings are pretty much the same as Michael Ian Black's:

http://www.michaelianblack.org/blog/2018/8/28/a-little-warmth

I read a article awhile back that said he has sold out since the accusations.

First of all, what does that even mean?

Second of all, "an article you read"? Suddenly the guy who posts links constantly is now without a link?

I don't make things up. Is this satisfactory?

LINK

Quote:
Now, after years of unsubstantiated rumors about Louis C.K. masturbating in front of associates, women are coming forward to describe what they experienced. Even amid the current burst of sexual misconduct accusations against powerful men, the stories about Louis C.K. stand out because he has so few equals in comedy. In the years since the incidents the women describe, he has sold out Madison Square Garden eight times, created an Emmy-winning TV series, and accumulated the clout of a tastemaker and auteur, with the help of a manager who represents some of the biggest names in comedy.
And Louis C.K. built a reputation as the unlikely conscience of the comedy scene, by making audiences laugh about hypocrisy — especially male hypocrisy.

Dude, your implication was that he has somehow profited by ignoring the accusations. Those shows mentioned in the article took place over the years prior to the formal accusations coming out.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Wolverine wrote:
Louis CK returned to the stage this past weekend, albeit a small stage that is the Comedy Cellar in New York.

I'm glad he's back doing stand-up again but my feelings are pretty much the same as Michael Ian Black's:

http://www.michaelianblack.org/blog/2018/8/28/a-little-warmth

I read a article awhile back that said he has sold out since the accusations.

First of all, what does that even mean?

Second of all, "an article you read"? Suddenly the guy who posts links constantly is now without a link?

I don't make things up. Is this satisfactory?

LINK

Quote:
Now, after years of unsubstantiated rumors about Louis C.K. masturbating in front of associates, women are coming forward to describe what they experienced. Even amid the current burst of sexual misconduct accusations against powerful men, the stories about Louis C.K. stand out because he has so few equals in comedy. In the years since the incidents the women describe, he has sold out Madison Square Garden eight times, created an Emmy-winning TV series, and accumulated the clout of a tastemaker and auteur, with the help of a manager who represents some of the biggest names in comedy.
And Louis C.K. built a reputation as the unlikely conscience of the comedy scene, by making audiences laugh about hypocrisy — especially male hypocrisy.

Dude, your implication was that he has somehow profited by ignoring the accusations. Those shows mentioned in the article took place over the years prior to the formal accusations coming out.

You asked for a explanation, I gave you one. You asked for a link, I gave you one. Draw from those what you will. (Note the bold green)

ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
ocho wrote:
The general silence regarding this Argento business is a beautifully wrapped gift to the people that hope to discredit the progress that has been made in the last year.

Argento was abused and did what many victims do: victimize someone else. This is a great opportunity to further the discussion beyond the splashy headlines and into the root causes. Argento doesn't hurt the movement because she abused the boy, she illustrates the cycle of abuse that we are struggling to end. Ignoring that vital part of the discussion perpetuates it.

I agree and I think you misunderstood my comment. Argento's actions were largely met with either silence from her community or sentiments along the lines of "well we don't know what happened let's wait and see if more comes out.". This is the same reaction that the same people have spent a year attacking others for. It's important to be consistent about these things, otherwise it gives others an excuse to dismiss it as partisan or unfair.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
ocho wrote:

I agree and I think you misunderstood my comment. Argento's actions were largely met with either silence from her community or sentiments along the lines of "well we don't know what happened let's wait and see if more comes out.". This is the same reaction that the same people have spent a year attacking others for. It's important to be consistent about these things, otherwise it gives others an excuse to dismiss it as partisan unfair.
I understood your comment and agree, despite my curt and incomplete reply.
My apologies.
The issue is bigger than Weinstein and Trump, broader than sexism and chauvinism. Abuse isn't an event that happened, it is a cycle that continually turns the abused into abusers. Sexual abuse, physical abuse, emotional abuse - they are all learned behaviors that become part of the victim. Argento's misdeeds are not surprising and they don't undo the #metoo message. They illustrate that victims need help in overcoming the pain and shame and anger that becomes suppressed and internalized before it is inflicted upon others. I share your call for consistency and discussing this crucial part of Argento's abuse cycle could go a long way towards furthering the movement and ending the abuse.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject:

NBC Threatened Ronan Farrow if He Kept Reporting on Harvey Weinstein

Quote:
According to multiple sources familiar with the matter, NBC News general counsel Susan Weiner made a series of phone calls to Farrow, threatening to smear him if he continued to report on Weinstein.

Quote:
Farrow had begun to suspect that Oppenheim—who moonlighted as a Hollywood screenwriter—was potentially communicating with Weinstein directly about the story, according to the sources.

LINK
2017 Summer League Champs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
ocho wrote:

I don't really like Asia, but I'm not sure she really victimized someone else. Unless you are talking about her dad or Harvey who she threw accusations at. It was dumb of her to hook up w a 17 yr old (which is common where she is from), but he isn't a victim. I just don't see how Harvey could have raped a famous and rich person like Asia who was known to have a victim complex, then Asia have consensual sex with Harvey for the next five years. Makes no sense. Victims avoid the person who victimized them. Asia is always a victim. Part of the reason she was so harrased and hated in Italy. Not sure why Harvey gets the blaim for her screwing a 17 year old that knew what he was doing. Actually, it's absolutely ridiculous to say she did it because of Harvey. Much more likely she just had sex w Harvey than this ridiculous chain of psychological BS.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Quote:
According to multiple sources familiar with the matter, NBC News general counsel Susan Weiner made a series of phone calls to Farrow, threatening to smear him if he continued to report on Weinstein.

Quote:
Farrow had begun to suspect that Oppenheim—who moonlighted as a Hollywood screenwriter—was potentially communicating with Weinstein directly about the story, according to the sources.

LINK

I like Ronan but they should have threatened him over the Woody Allen claims, not Harvey. Ronan has shown he is biased and can't be trusted with Woody and it's silly they ask him to do real reports on his father.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject:

2017 Summer League Champs wrote:
I don't really like Asia, but I'm not sure she really victimized someone else. Unless you are talking about her dad or Harvey who she threw accusations at.
Asia victimized Harvey? Victim blaming is about as ignorant and offensive as it gets.

It was dumb of her to hook up w a 17 yr old (which is common where she is from), but he isn't a victim.
He was the victim of her criminal action both legally and morally.

I just don't see how Harvey could have raped a famous and rich person like Asia who was known to have a victim complex, then Asia have consensual sex with Harvey for the next five years. Makes no sense. Victims avoid the person who victimized them.
Uh, no. Victims are sometimes victimized for long periods of time, often going to great lengths to protect their abuser.

Asia is always a victim. Part of the reason she was so harrased and hated in Italy. Not sure why Harvey gets the blaim for her screwing a 17 year old that knew what he was doing.
A 17 year old cannot consent to having sex with a 37 year old, so no, he did not and could not 'know what he was doing'.

Actually, it's absolutely ridiculous to say she did it because of Harvey. Much more likely she just had sex w Harvey than this ridiculous chain of psychological BS.
No. What is BS is to dismiss the psychology and science of abuse which can explain what happened and why. It is unlikely that Argento's abuse began and ended with Harvey, and she is certainly not blameless for what she did to Bennett. Her story illustrates the entire cycle of abuse, and ignoring the part where the abused sometimes becomes the abuser is counter to the solution.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
I don't really like Asia, but I'm not sure she really victimized someone else. Unless you are talking about her dad or Harvey who she threw accusations at.
Asia victimized Harvey? Victim blaming is about as ignorant and offensive as it gets.

It was dumb of her to hook up w a 17 yr old (which is common where she is from), but he isn't a victim.
He was the victim of her criminal action both legally and morally.

I just don't see how Harvey could have raped a famous and rich person like Asia who was known to have a victim complex, then Asia have consensual sex with Harvey for the next five years. Makes no sense. Victims avoid the person who victimized them.
Uh, no. Victims are sometimes victimized for long periods of time, often going to great lengths to protect their abuser.

Asia is always a victim. Part of the reason she was so harrased and hated in Italy. Not sure why Harvey gets the blaim for her screwing a 17 year old that knew what he was doing.
A 17 year old cannot consent to having sex with a 37 year old, so no, he did not and could not 'know what he was doing'.

Actually, it's absolutely ridiculous to say she did it because of Harvey. Much more likely she just had sex w Harvey than this ridiculous chain of psychological BS.
No. What is BS is to dismiss the psychology and science of abuse which can explain what happened and why. It is unlikely that Argento's abuse began and ended with Harvey, and she is certainly not blameless for what she did to Bennett. Her story illustrates the entire cycle of abuse, and ignoring the part where the abused sometimes becomes the abuser is counter to the solution.

I was drunk when I wrote all that so I could have worded it better. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't have posted it at all if sober. But not sure how I am victim shaming Asia when I said what she did with Mr. Bennett isn't as bad as people are making it out to be. He is 17. An experienced 17 year old at that. And according to some of the exact evidence people are using against Asia, Mr. Bennett was the one who initiated the sex. It's not like he was fighting her off. You call what Asia did abuse yet you are giving her an excuse for her behavior and blaming Harvey.

Asia had a consensual sexual relationship with Harvey for five years. I doubt it began with rape. Asia has always seemed to crave negative attention and I can't see her staying quiet about a famous guy raping her. She didn't need Harvey to help her career. She was already from a famous family and a major star in Italy and Harvey doesn't make Italian films. I've been going to support group with a friend who was raped because she doesn't like going alone. You should see what they say about Asia because they avoid their rapists. They get panic attacks just by seeing someone who looks like their rapist. It wasn't as if Harvey was a family member that she had to see from time to time. She sought him out. They lived half a planet away from one another.

Extremely dangerous and offensive line of thinking to say that there is a cycle and that the abused become abusers themselves. That is victim shaming. A big part of the reason Americans deal with sexual abuse, especially as children, so much worse than people in other countries is because of how we react to people getting abused. A girl gets molested or raped and all people talk about is how she is going to be broken psychologically, do drugs, and become a stripper. Perhaps people could deal with sexual abuse better if people weren't so damn judgmental and don't expect them to have this terrible outcome.

Last edited by 2017 Summer League Champs on Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

LINK

I like Ronan but they should have threatened him over the Woody Allen claims, not Harvey. Ronan has shown he is biased and can't be trusted with Woody and it's silly they ask him to do real reports on his father.

I think the bigger issue in the story....if true, it appears Noah Oppenheim, the President of NBC News was undercutting his own journalist by leaking/updating Weinstein about Farrow's efforts to hopefully benefit his own career ambitions in Hollywood.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

LINK

I think the bigger issue in the story....if true, it appears Noah Oppenheim, the President of NBC News was undercutting his own journalist by leaking/updating Weinstein about Farrow's efforts to hopefully benefit his own career ambitions in Hollywood.
Yeah, you are absolutely right. I just think Ronan has been really unprofessional and unfair to his father. But I realize that wasn't the point so I shouldn't have went there.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Woody Allen is sexual predator with an obsession for young girls, molested his daughter and married his de facto step-daughter. Ronan finds that as repulsive as most people.

I was a fan of Woody Allen movies right up to the point where I was aware enough to realize what a sick pervert he is in real life and never watched any of his films again.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Woody Allen is sexual predator with an obsession for young girls, molested his daughter and married his de facto step-daughter. Ronan finds that as repulsive as most people.

I was a fan of Woody Allen movies right up to the point where I was aware enough to realize what a sick pervert he is in real life and never watched any of his films again.

Woody didn't molest his daughter. Unless you know more than the police and believe one hell of an unlikely story. Never heard he likes young girls. May be true but I haven't heard it. Seems odd he would be married to a 47 year old if he's only into young girls. She isn't his step daughter btw. He married his girlfriend's adopted daughter that was over 18. Bad parenting for sure considering he was a parent to her step siblings, but I wouldn't call it sexual deviance. I just don't get why people attack others just because they are accused of something. He wasn't found guilty. There wasn't enough to even go to court over it and I believe the police and psychologists found more wrong doing on Mia's part. She brainwashed her kids. She doctored a videotape and told her daughter what to say. Unfortunately, accusing your ex of abuse is something you do when you're fighting over custody.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Woody didn't molest his daughter. Unless you know more than the police and believe one hell of an unlikely story. Never heard he likes young girls. May be true but I haven't heard it. Seems odd he would be married to a 47 year old if he's only into young girls. She isn't his step daughter btw. He married his girlfriend's adopted daughter that was over 18. Bad parenting for sure considering he was a parent to her step siblings, but I wouldn't call it sexual deviance. I just don't get why people attack others just because they are accused of something. He wasn't found guilty. There wasn't enough to even go to court over it and I believe the police and psychologists found more wrong doing on Mia's part. She brainwashed her kids. She doctored a videotape and told her daughter what to say. Unfortunately, accusing your ex of abuse is something you do when you're fighting over custody.

Defending a child molester is not a good look.

I've read Dylan Farrow's first hand account of what Woody Allen did to her when she was a girl. I believe her. Woody Allen has a long history of sexualizing underage girls in his movies.

A Brief History of Woody Allen Being Creepy About Young Girls

I read decades of Woody Allen’s private notes. He’s obsessed with teenage girls. His 56-box archive is filled with misogynist and lecherous musings.

Woody Allen’s Adopted Daughter Details Sexual Abuse in New York Times Essay
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject:

So Morgan Freeman was at my aunt in law’s wedding. Best man to the groom (he’s in his late 70s). Was a bit surreal.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
So Morgan Freeman was at my aunt in law’s wedding. Best man to the groom (he’s in his late 70s). Was a bit surreal.

Did he give a speech? I imagine no would say anything to him, of course, not wanting to ruin the couple's day...

Has anything even came of that? Seems like we've pretty much moved on and he's allowed to work again
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Did he give a speech? I imagine no would say anything to him, of course, not wanting to ruin the couple's day...

Has anything even came of that? Seems like we've pretty much moved on and he's allowed to work again

Nah. Took pictures. Quiet.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Nah. Took pictures. Quiet.

Interesting. Best man to the groom and didn't even give the couple the greatest gift he could give --- his voice. Makes sense, I 'spose, if we consider the current climate.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Defending a child molester is not a good look.
l]

What a false, offensive and idiotic statement to make. I will chose to believe the police, psychologists, Ronan's own brother who actually has a first hand account of what happened over a chef, a brainwashed 5 year old, and a absolutely over the top story that defies logic.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 32 of 44
Jump to: