Sexual Harassment Accusations (Weinstein sentenced to 23 years; Weinstein put in isolation after contracting virus) BILL COSBY RELEASED pg44
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Being a man of advance years I'm conflicted. I want to see Cosby do time as I do Weinstein and all convicted perps.

In Cosby's case I have sympathy because of his age. I know if his health is good he can do some years, a limited number, and still have a productive existence.

What he did was deplorable and inexcusable but sorry, I'm a bleeding heart.

I get what you are saying. I would not be surprised if he gets a sentence that sounds heavy, but is released as his health deteriorates. In many cases, those facilities are just not equipped properly care for individuals in failing health, and I would expect his overall safety will always be a concern. I assume much of his wealth will diminish through civil suits?

Beyond Cosby, I think there is a bigger discussion about the cost/benefit of incarcerating elderly individuals with failing health. American prisons definitely are not places for individuals that cannot take care of themselves or minimally defend themselves to a degree.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Bill Cosby's sentencing is set for September 25, 2018 at 9:30 a.m. Because of his age, 81, not his notoriety I think he will get a suspended sentence or a slap on the wrist jail time and maybe a fine.

Opinions on his adjudication?

20-25 years.

Really AH? You're not just saying that?

Really. How much time he does, given his age and health, is a question for the parole board and people like that. But he has been convicted of rape. The prosecution plans to give him the Nassar treatment at the sentencing hearing. It won't surprise me if he gets the full maximum, but I'm guessing 20-25.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Bill Cosby's sentencing is set for September 25, 2018 at 9:30 a.m. Because of his age, 81, not his notoriety I think he will get a suspended sentence or a slap on the wrist jail time and maybe a fine.

Opinions on his adjudication?

20-25 years.

Really AH? You're not just saying that?

Really. How much time he does, given his age and health, is a question for the parole board and people like that. But he has been convicted of rape. The prosecution plans to give him the Nassar treatment at the sentencing hearing. It won't surprise me if he gets the full maximum, but I'm guessing 20-25.

175 years...DAYUM!!!!!!

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
2017 Summer League Champs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
2017 Summer League Champs wrote:
jodeke wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I reread SLC's post about where he lives and the people he hangs out with. If his post is true he's sheltered or he's being disingenuous.

You people are nuts. Find examples of articles, people here, or something on tv. You people keep saying you (conveniently) hear it in person all the time and sound like Trump claiming guys use that sort of locker room talk. I never hear comments like that. Hang around better people rather than scum maybe. I've worked in a damn prison before but apparently you people hear far worse stuff.

People are nuts because they hear things you don't? People's friends are scum because they say things yours don't? Am I nuts for offering a observation? IMO that's a wide blanket. The world is bigger and more diverse than your corner of it.

The hypocrisy. You literally told me I hear what I don't hear and then accuse me of making a blanket statement. You criticize my observation first then say my observation about your observation isnt allowed to be offered. And still, nobody has provided a shred of evidence. Its like I'm being punked and not in on the joke yet.

Challenge. Please show me where I told or accused you of anything. I offered an opinion on a wide blanket not an accusation. Show me where I criticized you or said your observations aren't allowed. Note the punctuation (?)

EDIT: 11:07 9/5/18 LINK
Come out, Come out, wherever you are.

This is the last time I will respond in this thread and feel somewhat sleazy responding to this at all because of how off topic it is for what is a serious issue. Several of you said this very thread as well as other places are full of people jumping to a conclusion when an accusation was first made and saying horrible things about the accuser before knowing anything, like assuming she was a "vindictive (bleep)." That it was the, "dominant line of thinking." I said I don't see that at all and said if those assumptions and statements were everywhere in this thread and other places show the proof. Because nobody could find proof in this tread or anywhere else where this behavior supposedly exists I was then told that my very posts proved it so I asked for where in my posts I said that and nobody could show it because I never said it. That was the original challenge. Because you could not come up with the proof you said would be so easy to find you deflected it to a new and completely off topic challenge. I'm not going to go back and read our other exchanges because I believe the bolded in this very dialogue proves you wrong.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
jodeke wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I reread SLC's post about where he lives and the people he hangs out with. If his post is true he's sheltered or he's being disingenuous.

You people are nuts. Find examples of articles, people here, or something on tv. You people keep saying you (conveniently) hear it in person all the time and sound like Trump claiming guys use that sort of locker room talk. I never hear comments like that. Hang around better people rather than scum maybe. I've worked in a damn prison before but apparently you people hear far worse stuff.

People are nuts because they hear things you don't? People's friends are scum because they say things yours don't? Am I nuts for offering a observation? IMO that's a wide blanket. The world is bigger and more diverse than your corner of it.

The hypocrisy. You literally told me I hear what I don't hear and then accuse me of making a blanket statement. You criticize my observation first then say my observation about your observation isnt allowed to be offered. And still, nobody has provided a shred of evidence. Its like I'm being punked and not in on the joke yet.

Challenge. Please show me where I told or accused you of anything. I offered an opinion on a wide blanket not an accusation. Show me where I criticized you or said your observations aren't allowed. Note the punctuation (?)

This is the last time I will respond in this thread and feel somewhat sleazy responding to this at all because of how off topic it is for what is a serious issue. Several of you said this very thread as well as other places are full of people jumping to a conclusion when an accusation was first made and saying horrible things about the accuser before knowing anything, like assuming she was a "vindictive (bleep)." That it was the, "dominant line of thinking." I said I don't see that at all and said if those assumptions and statements were everywhere in this thread and other places show the proof. Because nobody could find proof in this tread or anywhere else where this behavior supposedly exists I was then told that my very posts proved it so I asked for where in my posts I said that and nobody could show it because I never said it. That was the original challenge. Because you could not come up with the proof you said would be so easy to find you deflected it to a new and completely off topic challenge. I'm not going to go back and read our other exchanges because I believe the bolded in this very dialogue proves you wrong.

Having your words read back to you will probably do little to budge you from your position despite the fact that you definitively discredited a victim of child assault. Even if you believe in the innocence of the accused (which takes quite a leap given the documented pattern of Allen's behavior at the time) you did so in an extremely dismissive way, which was kind of the whole point being discussed. As for the general dismissiveness assault accusers face, I speak only for myself in expressing a lack of desire to do your homework for you. Google around and you'll find plenty. Look up old threads of accusers here and you'll find it there as well. Considering your personal experience you outlined earlier with an accusation made against you, I am confident you'll dismiss it all. Given that your feet are already dug in, why should someone take the time to gather information for you that you'll immediately dismiss? If you're genuinely curious about it you'll find it on your own and it isn't hard to find.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
jodeke wrote:
jodeke wrote:

This is the last time I will respond in this thread and feel somewhat sleazy responding to this at all because of how off topic it is for what is a serious issue.

Several of you said this very thread as well as other places are full of people jumping to a conclusion when an accusation was first made and saying horrible things about the accuser before knowing anything, like assuming she was a "vindictive (bleep)."

That it was the, "dominant line of thinking." I said I don't see that at all and said if those assumptions and statements were everywhere in this thread and other places show the proof. Because nobody could find proof in this tread or anywhere else where this behavior supposedly exists I was then told that my very posts proved it so I asked for where in my posts I said that and nobody could show it because I never said it.

That was the original challenge.

Because you could not come up with the proof you said would be so easy to find you deflected it to a new and completely off topic challenge.

I'm not going to go back and read our other exchanges because I believe the bolded in this very dialogue proves you wrong.

I've said some women would use the forum as a instrument for vindictiveness

I'm not included in those challenges.

If you go back I don't think you'll find any exchanges between you and I other than this one. Unless you call my being facetious asking you if you were have a slow day and exchange.

I'l take your non answer to my challenge as you can't show me the points I challenged you to.

You mentioned several people not me personally. I'm the only one to issue a personal challenge.

I'll ask again referring to the bold green and only the bold green. SHOW ME.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
2017 Summer League Champs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:
jodeke wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Having your words read back to you will probably do little to budge you from your position despite the fact that you definitively discredited a victim of child assault. Even if you believe in the innocence of the accused (which takes quite a leap given the documented pattern of Allen's behavior at the time) you did so in an extremely dismissive way, which was kind of the whole point being discussed. As for the general dismissiveness assault accusers face, I speak only for myself in expressing a lack of desire to do your homework for you. Google around and you'll find plenty. Look up old threads of accusers here and you'll find it there as well. Considering your personal experience you outlined earlier with an accusation made against you, I am confident you'll dismiss it all. Given that your feet are already dug in, why should someone take the time to gather information for you that you'll immediately dismiss? If you're genuinely curious about it you'll find it on your own and it isn't hard to find.

You're disgusting. I never discredited a victim of child assault. Just a sad, hateful and pathetic remark to make.

And still absolutely amazing that you can't come up with a single quote that you claimed was the, "dominate line of discussion" in this thread and everywhere else. Not a single one. You claimed it would be so easy but now you are saying I need to search the internet for them after saying they were everywhere in this very thread. Just admit you were making it up. Never once have I heard a women say she was the victim of a violent assault and the first reaction from people was, "the (bleep) is making it up." Usually people WANT to believe. Especially if its a celebrity because they want something eventful and to feel like part of history in the moment.

I'm not sure what I dismissed other than the attic incident with Woody Allen. You're acting like I'm in the minority and saying something outrageous when it is actually you making the unbelievable claims. I just don't think you should jump to any conclusion but you think people are victim shaming if they don't jump to a conclusion. As far as you saying I dismiss all victims of assault where the hell are you getting that from??? Because I said we shouldn't jump to conclusions? Because I criticized Asia Argento and don't believe the attic incident with Woody Allen? I have absolutely no idea how someone could read the details of the Woody Allen allegation and believe them with any sort of confidence. I attend a support group with my GF every week who was raped. My sister in law who I'm real close to is a assault counselor. Practically every woman I know was molested as a child. I know women get assaulted. But I also know that not 100% of the accusations are true because I've seen it in both my personal life and witnessing hundreds of court cases. There needs to be some sort of investigation before condemning someone and ruining their life.

As for Jodeke, dude I already provided you with the exact stuff you requested that I'm not sure why you requested the first time.

Alright, definitely done with this site. I was so happy about Lebron I signed up after years of being a lurker. I waited years because i saw how toxic this place was and how a few got away with everything and bullied everyone else. You say something not even controversial and you get attacked. You can say you support Black Lives Matter and devote so much time for causes and still get called a racist. Unbelievable.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
As for Jodeke, dude I already provided you with the exact stuff you requested that I'm not sure why you requested the first time.

No you didn't you provided others not me but that's OK. Since you won't be posting in this thread, for the 3rd time LINK

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject:

You're disgusting. I never discredited a victim of child assault. Just a sad, hateful and pathetic remark to make.

You stated over and over that she was a brainwashed liar. There's a great deal of evidence to support, at the very least, that there was grossly inappropriate sexual behavior from Allen towards Dylan (which the judge who you believe exonerated Allen acknowledged. He also insisted steps must be taken to protect Dylan from Allen).

And still absolutely amazing that you can't come up with a single quote that you claimed was the, "dominate line of discussion" in this thread and everywhere else. Not a single one. You claimed it would be so easy but now you are saying I need to search the internet for them after saying they were everywhere in this very thread. Just admit you were making it up. Never once have I heard a women say she was the victim of a violent assault and the first reaction from people was, "the (bleep) is making it up." Usually people WANT to believe. Especially if its a celebrity because they want something eventful and to feel like part of history in the moment.

Again, I'm not interested in doing your homework for you. If you're curious about it, look it up. I've already done that work for myself.

I'm not sure what I dismissed other than the attic incident with Woody Allen. You're acting like I'm in the minority and saying something outrageous when it is actually you making the unbelievable claims. I just don't think you should jump to any conclusion but you think people are victim shaming if they don't jump to a conclusion. As far as you saying I dismiss all victims of assault where the hell are you getting that from??? Because I said we shouldn't jump to conclusions? Because I criticized Asia Argento and don't believe the attic incident with Woody Allen?

In the case of Asia Argento, it isn't jumping to conclusions. There are laws about adults having sex with underage kids. As for Allen, seriously? I don't think you are nearly as familiar with the investigation and facts about that case as you think you are. I used to believe he was innocent too, citing the same stuff you have. Then I looked into it deeper and saw how wrong I was. But this is research you should do yourself.

Alright, definitely done with this site. I was so happy about Lebron I signed up after years of being a lurker. I waited years because i saw how toxic this place was and how a few got away with everything and bullied everyone else. You say something not even controversial and you get attacked. You can say you support Black Lives Matter and devote so much time for causes and still get called a racist. Unbelievable.

I don't think anybody has bullied you. They've just disagreed with you. That isn't the same thing. Sorry you feel you need to leave. Enjoy the season.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
I don't think anybody has bullied you. They've just disagreed with you. That isn't the same thing. Sorry you feel you need to leave. Enjoy the season.

Exactly. Being held accountable for your own words is not being bullied.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2018/09/09/cbs-ceo-leslie-moonves-hit-new-sexual-misconduct-allegations/1249724002/?csp=chromepush

Quote:
CBS chief Leslie Moonves resigns after damning new sexual misconduct claims
Bill Keveney, USA TODAY Published 2:58 p.m. ET Sept. 9, 2018 | Updated 7:31 p.m. ET Sept. 9, 2018

A New Yorker article exposing sexual misconduct allegations against CBS CEO Leslie Moonves is set to publish. That’s according to The Hollywood Reporter. Veuer's Sam Berman has the full story. Buzz60

CBS CEO Leslie Moonves has stepped down after six more women accused him of sexual misconduct and intimidation in a bombshell investigation published Sunday by The New Yorker.

A previous New Yorker report detailed accusations from six other women, and CBS launched an investigation last month.

The latest report by Pulitzer Prize winner Ronan Farrow includes allegations that Moonves, 68, forced oral sex, exposed himself, committed violent acts and derailed careers in incidents that occurred from the 1980s to the early 2000s.

In the new report, the accusers, who give their names, describe a range of damning actions.

Phyllis Golden-Gottlieb, who was a Moonves colleague at Lorimar-Telepictures studio in the 1980s, describes an incident in 1986 in which she says Moonves forced her to perform oral sex.

She says Moonves suggested going to lunch on a work day, but instead drove to a secluded area where he "grabbed my head and he took it all the way down onto his penis, and pushed his penis into my mouth.”

Late last year, as the #MeToo movement rose to call out and fight back against perpetrators of sexual harassment and assault, Golden-Gottlieb filed a complaint with the Los Angeles Police Department. Farrow writes that law enforcement sources found her allegation credible, but the statute of limitations had expired.

In later incidents, Golden-Gottlieb says Moonves left his office and returned not wearing pants and that he threw her against a wall. Other women describe forced kissing, groping, propositions, with many of the encounters taking place during work time, as well as later efforts to harm careers.

Writer Linda Silverthorn, who says she had consensual sexual encounters with Moonves when she was an assistant and he was a vice president at 20th Century Fox, tells Farrow she was harassed when she arrived for a business meeting six years later, in 1990, at Warner Bros., where Moonves was an executive.

Silverthorn, who was hoping to secure a development deal, says before the conversation started, “he kissed me while we were standing up. … And then he just pulled his penis out.” She called the action “unwelcome” and said their earlier encounters did not “allow him to just grab me and pull his penis out on me when I’m there for a legitimate business meeting.”

Later, she says, Moonves told her the studio had no work opportunities for her.

Deborah Kitay, who gave Moonves massages when she worked as a massage therapist in the 1990s, says Moonves exposed himself to her and asked her to touch his penis.

BY BOOKING.COM
California's Most Surreal Beaches
See more →

In addition to the six accusers named in the story, Farrow reports that massage therapists at Washington's Four Seasons hotel in D.C. complained of sexual misconduct by Moonves in the late 1990s and early 2000s.

"It was quite a few times that those women would come back and say, ‘I’m never going up there again,’ ” Debra Williams, who was then spa director, tells Farrow, adding that a hotel official warned Moonves to stop the behavior.

USA TODAY has reached out to Daniel Petrocelli, Moonves' lawyer, for comment on the report.

Moonves, in a statement to The New Yorker, acknowledged three encounters before his tenure at CBS, but said they were consensual and added: “The appalling accusations in this article are untrue. … And I have never used my position to hinder the advancement or careers of women. … I can only surmise they are surfacing now for the first time, decades later, as part of a concerted effort by others to destroy my name, my reputation, and my career."

USA TODAY, which asked CBS for comment on the new allegations and for confirmation of reports that Moonves will leave the company, received this statement on Sunday from CBS Corporation: “CBS takes these allegations very seriously. Our Board of Directors is conducting a thorough investigation of these matters, which is ongoing.”

Time's Up, a group that combats sexual assault, harassment and inequality in the workplace, issued a statement after the news broke Sunday: "Six more women have made bone-chilling allegations of abuse, harassment and retaliation against Les Moonves. We believe them. … These allegations speak to a culture of toxic complicity at CBS, where the safety of women was continuously ignored to protect the careers of powerful men and the corporation. The CBS Board of Directors has an obligation to move swiftly and decisively to create a safe work environment for all and rid the company of this toxic culture."

CBS hired two outside law firms to conduct an independent investigation shortly after the allegations broke in the original New Yorker story. Speculation about Moonves' departure rose last week with news reports that the executive was in negotiations to leave with a potential payout of $100 million.

The accusations and investigation take place in a time of corporate ferment, as CBS and Moonves have been waging a legal battle to prevent a merger with another media giant, Viacom. There has been much speculation that the fate of Moonves could affect that matter.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2018/09/09/cbs-ceo-leslie-moonves-hit-new-sexual-misconduct-allegations/1249724002/?csp=chromepush

Quote:
CBS chief Leslie Moonves resigns after damning new sexual misconduct claims
Bill Keveney, USA TODAY Published 2:58 p.m. ET Sept. 9, 2018 | Updated 7:31 p.m. ET Sept. 9, 2018

A New Yorker article exposing sexual misconduct allegations against CBS CEO Leslie Moonves is set to publish. That’s according to The Hollywood Reporter. Veuer's Sam Berman has the full story. Buzz60

CBS CEO Leslie Moonves has stepped down after six more women accused him of sexual misconduct and intimidation in a bombshell investigation published Sunday by The New Yorker.

A previous New Yorker report detailed accusations from six other women, and CBS launched an investigation last month.

The latest report by Pulitzer Prize winner Ronan Farrow includes allegations that Moonves, 68, forced oral sex, exposed himself, committed violent acts and derailed careers in incidents that occurred from the 1980s to the early 2000s.

In the new report, the accusers, who give their names, describe a range of damning actions.

Phyllis Golden-Gottlieb, who was a Moonves colleague at Lorimar-Telepictures studio in the 1980s, describes an incident in 1986 in which she says Moonves forced her to perform oral sex.

She says Moonves suggested going to lunch on a work day, but instead drove to a secluded area where he "grabbed my head and he took it all the way down onto his penis, and pushed his penis into my mouth.”

Late last year, as the #MeToo movement rose to call out and fight back against perpetrators of sexual harassment and assault, Golden-Gottlieb filed a complaint with the Los Angeles Police Department. Farrow writes that law enforcement sources found her allegation credible, but the statute of limitations had expired.

In later incidents, Golden-Gottlieb says Moonves left his office and returned not wearing pants and that he threw her against a wall. Other women describe forced kissing, groping, propositions, with many of the encounters taking place during work time, as well as later efforts to harm careers.

Writer Linda Silverthorn, who says she had consensual sexual encounters with Moonves when she was an assistant and he was a vice president at 20th Century Fox, tells Farrow she was harassed when she arrived for a business meeting six years later, in 1990, at Warner Bros., where Moonves was an executive.

Silverthorn, who was hoping to secure a development deal, says before the conversation started, “he kissed me while we were standing up. … And then he just pulled his penis out.” She called the action “unwelcome” and said their earlier encounters did not “allow him to just grab me and pull his penis out on me when I’m there for a legitimate business meeting.”

Later, she says, Moonves told her the studio had no work opportunities for her.

Deborah Kitay, who gave Moonves massages when she worked as a massage therapist in the 1990s, says Moonves exposed himself to her and asked her to touch his penis.

BY BOOKING.COM
California's Most Surreal Beaches
See more →

In addition to the six accusers named in the story, Farrow reports that massage therapists at Washington's Four Seasons hotel in D.C. complained of sexual misconduct by Moonves in the late 1990s and early 2000s.

"It was quite a few times that those women would come back and say, ‘I’m never going up there again,’ ” Debra Williams, who was then spa director, tells Farrow, adding that a hotel official warned Moonves to stop the behavior.

USA TODAY has reached out to Daniel Petrocelli, Moonves' lawyer, for comment on the report.

Moonves, in a statement to The New Yorker, acknowledged three encounters before his tenure at CBS, but said they were consensual and added: “The appalling accusations in this article are untrue. … And I have never used my position to hinder the advancement or careers of women. … I can only surmise they are surfacing now for the first time, decades later, as part of a concerted effort by others to destroy my name, my reputation, and my career."

USA TODAY, which asked CBS for comment on the new allegations and for confirmation of reports that Moonves will leave the company, received this statement on Sunday from CBS Corporation: “CBS takes these allegations very seriously. Our Board of Directors is conducting a thorough investigation of these matters, which is ongoing.”

Time's Up, a group that combats sexual assault, harassment and inequality in the workplace, issued a statement after the news broke Sunday: "Six more women have made bone-chilling allegations of abuse, harassment and retaliation against Les Moonves. We believe them. … These allegations speak to a culture of toxic complicity at CBS, where the safety of women was continuously ignored to protect the careers of powerful men and the corporation. The CBS Board of Directors has an obligation to move swiftly and decisively to create a safe work environment for all and rid the company of this toxic culture."

CBS hired two outside law firms to conduct an independent investigation shortly after the allegations broke in the original New Yorker story. Speculation about Moonves' departure rose last week with news reports that the executive was in negotiations to leave with a potential payout of $100 million.

The accusations and investigation take place in a time of corporate ferment, as CBS and Moonves have been waging a legal battle to prevent a merger with another media giant, Viacom. There has been much speculation that the fate of Moonves could affect that matter.

Will definitely tune into The Talk tomorrow. Julie Chen stood by her man when the accusations first surfaced. I wonder if there will be any reference to the new allegations?

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Julie Chen took the day off to be with her family. The other hostesses spoke on the issue. They didn't cover or downplay Les Moonves mishaps. They stood with he has to be held accountable.

governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject:

wow

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-germany-religion-sexcrimes/catholic-church-admits-shameful-legacy-of-abuse-after-study-leaked-idUSKCN1LS1X2

The document, commissioned by the German Bishops' Conference, revealed that 1,670 clerics and priests had sexually abused 3,677 minors, mostly males, in the country between 1946 and 2014, Der Spiegel said.

The news magazine quoted a leaked copy of the study, which was compiled by three German universities.

Bishop of Trier Stephan Ackermann said the Church was aware of the extent of abuse demonstrated by the study's results
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject:

'Designing Women' Creator Goes Public With Les Moonves War: Not All Harassment Is Sexual (Guest Column)

Quote:
Linda Bloodworth Thomason, one of CBS' biggest hitmakers, reveals the disgraced mogul kept her shows off the air for seven years: "People asked me for years, 'What happened to you?' Les Moonves happened to me."
This is not the article you might be expecting about Les Moonves. It’s not going to be wise or inspiring. It’s going to be petty and punishing. In spite of my proper Southern mother’s admonition to always be gracious, I am all out of grace when it comes to Mr. Moonves. In fact, like a lot of women in Hollywood, I am happy to dance on his professional grave. And not just any dance — this will be the Macarena, the rumba, the cha-cha and the Moonwalk. You get the idea.

I was never sexually harassed or attacked by Les Moonves. My encounters were much more subtle, engendering a different kind of destruction. In 1992, I was given the largest writing and producing contact in the history of CBS. It was for $50 million, involving five new series with hefty penalties for each pilot not picked up.

Designing Women was my flagship CBS show, and Evening Shade had just been lauded as the best new comedy of the season. CBS chairman Howard Stringer and president Jeff Sagansky attended many of the Designing Women tapings, reveling in the show, quoting the lines and giving us carte blanche to tackle any subject, including sexual harassment, domestic violence and pornography. They even greenlighted an entire episode satirizing Clarence Thomas’ Supreme Court nomination. It was, to say the least, exhilarating. Little did I know that it would soon all be over.

Not surprisingly, he was not only a serial sexual harasser, he was a raging misogynist and bully. Like Trump, like Roger Aisles and who knows how many others in power across many, many industries and professions.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject:

Julie's standing by her man.

Watch Julie Chen Sign Off 'Big Brother' as Julie Chen Moonves

LINK

She's still not on the Lets Talk panel. They're not discussing abuse at this time.

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject:

What kind of person makes false rape accusations?

For the people who are universally skeptical when any woman comes forward with sexual assault allegations, I suggest you read this article in it's entirety. (I also posted this in the Politics thread in light of Kavanaugh allegation).

Quote:
False rape accusations loom large in the cultural imagination. We don’t forget the big ones: The widely-read 2014 Rolling Stone article, later retracted, about a brutal gang rape at the University of Virginia; the 2006 accusations against innocent members of the Duke University lacrosse team. These cases are readily cited by defense attorneys and Republican lawmakers and anyone else who wants a reason to discuss the dangers of false allegations. What if a woman has consensual sex, and then regrets it the next day? What if a woman gets dumped by her boyfriend and decides to accuse him of rape as revenge? What if she’s just doing it for attention? Are false accusations reaching epidemic levels in today’s hard-drinking hookup culture, where the lines of consent have been blurred? Critics argue that reports of rape should be treated with more caution, since men’s lives are so often ruined by women’s malicious lies.

But my research—including academic studies, journalistic accounts, and cases recorded in the US National Registry of Exonerations—suggests that every part of this narrative is wrong. What’s more, it’s wrong in ways that help real rapists escape justice, while perversely making it more likely that we will miss the signs of false reports.

Quote:
In every academic study, one of the most common kinds of false accuser is a teenage girl who tells her parents she was raped to avoid getting in trouble. Unwanted pregnancy is sometimes cited by such girls, but the reason can also be trivial; the phrase “missed curfew” shows up with disturbing frequency in these cases. As a rule, it’s the parents who insist on getting police involved. Two different studies have found that almost half of all false rape complaints are lodged by someone other than the alleged victim, usually a parent.

Another kind of case which evaporates rapidly is that of a person who falsely reports a rape in the hope of getting needed medical care or psychiatric medication; in one study, six of the 55 reports classified as false by a police department in one year fit this description. Like the teens who missed their curfew, these false accusers have no interest in pursuing charges after the lie has served its purpose.

Quote:
When one looks at a series of fabricated sexual assaults, on the other hand, patterns immediately begin to emerge. The most striking of these is that, almost invariably, adult false accusers who persist in pursuing charges have a previous history of bizarre fabrications or criminal fraud. Indeed, they’re often criminals whose family and friends are also criminals; broken people trapped in chaotic lives.

The people most likely to make false accusations are people who are already troubled in many other life areas - mentally unstable, drug and alcohol problems, criminal activity, false reporting in other areas (slip and fall lawsuits).

Quote:
A final note about who makes false accusations: While popular conceptions of this issue center on female mendacity, clearly many of these stories involve male accusers. Given the fact that men, too, can crave revenge and have personality disorders, this should be obvious. If it’s counter-intuitive, it’s because the issue has consistently been framed as one of gender warfare. But the truth is that false rape accusations aren’t salvos in any political struggle. They’re crimes, mostly perpetrated by the same men and women who commit other categories of crime, and for similar reasons.

Quote:
But if a woman without any history of dramatic falsehoods says she went home with a man and, after they’d kissed a while consensually, he held her down and forced her into sex—in the absence of compelling evidence to the contrary, you can just assume it’s true. This is not because of any political dictum like “Believe women.” It’s because this story looks exactly like tens of thousands of date rapes that happen every year, and nothing at all like a false rape accusation.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
'Designing Women' Creator Goes Public With Les Moonves War: Not All Harassment Is Sexual (Guest Column)

Quote:
Linda Bloodworth Thomason, one of CBS' biggest hitmakers, reveals the disgraced mogul kept her shows off the air for seven years: "People asked me for years, 'What happened to you?' Les Moonves happened to me."
This is not the article you might be expecting about Les Moonves. It’s not going to be wise or inspiring. It’s going to be petty and punishing. In spite of my proper Southern mother’s admonition to always be gracious, I am all out of grace when it comes to Mr. Moonves. In fact, like a lot of women in Hollywood, I am happy to dance on his professional grave. And not just any dance — this will be the Macarena, the rumba, the cha-cha and the Moonwalk. You get the idea.

I was never sexually harassed or attacked by Les Moonves. My encounters were much more subtle, engendering a different kind of destruction. In 1992, I was given the largest writing and producing contact in the history of CBS. It was for $50 million, involving five new series with hefty penalties for each pilot not picked up.

Designing Women was my flagship CBS show, and Evening Shade had just been lauded as the best new comedy of the season. CBS chairman Howard Stringer and president Jeff Sagansky attended many of the Designing Women tapings, reveling in the show, quoting the lines and giving us carte blanche to tackle any subject, including sexual harassment, domestic violence and pornography. They even greenlighted an entire episode satirizing Clarence Thomas’ Supreme Court nomination. It was, to say the least, exhilarating. Little did I know that it would soon all be over.

Not surprisingly, he was not only a serial sexual harasser, he was a raging misogynist and bully. Like Trump, like Roger Aisles and who knows how many others in power across many, many industries and professions.

What a fantastic article. Thanks for posting.

Slightly off topic, but... Having worked in the entertainment industry, albeit over a decade ago, there is such a higher percentage of bullies in the executive ranks than any other industry I’ve worked. I used to report to a notorious studio head who attempted to bully me and everyone else around him on a daily basis. While he didn’t bully me sexually even though he was gay and I’m incredibly handsome (I’m being facetious), I can definitely attest to how psychologically painful and exhausting it was at the time. I worked my ass off to be successful and to please him only to eventually realize he was psychologically damaged.

Just as what’s happening to Moonves now, what goes around comes around, and when these serial abusers fall in that business, people come out of the woodwork to make sure they get punished. (And rightfully so.) I remember when this studio guy I worked for had foolishly invested millions of his own money into a pet project film after his studio days ended and in desperation to get the film picked up called a former employee who was now a studio head and I’ll never forget his response because I was sitting in his office when it happened. He said, “Do you remember when you did this awful thing to me?” (Redacted for privacy reasons.) “Well you can take your movie and go F yourself!”

He lost millions on that film, and hasn’t worked in the industry since. I ended up leaving the industry, and found the regular corporate world much more tame, sane and sensible. But if you are a talent (a writer, a director, etc.) you really are stuck dealing with these people unless you get big enough to choose your own partners.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
For the people who are universally skeptical when any woman comes forward with sexual assault allegations, I suggest you read this article in it's entirety.

So your source for this is an author no one has ever heard of, writing in a publication called "Quartz." Here is her resume, as stated in "Quartz":

Quote:
Sandra Newman is the author of seven novels and works of nonfiction, including "The Country of Ice Cream Star" and "How Not to Write a Novel."

Wow. There's a real, bona fide subject matter expert. Welcome to the age of bloggers and the oxymoron of internet journalism.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
For the people who are universally skeptical when any woman comes forward with sexual assault allegations, I suggest you read this article in it's entirety.

So your source for this is an author no one has ever heard of, writing in a publication called "Quartz." Here is her resume, as stated in "Quartz":

Quote:
Sandra Newman is the author of seven novels and works of nonfiction, including "The Country of Ice Cream Star" and "How Not to Write a Novel."

Wow. There's a real, bona fide subject matter expert. Welcome to the age of bloggers and the oxymoron of internet journalism.

She's not "my source." She researched a topic and wrote an article about it. I passed it along here for people to read and make up their own minds. But thanks for the feedback.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject:

Calm down people. The pot is past simmer.

JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

The author has imbedded links throughout the article after referenced her sources in paragraph 2:
Quote:
But my research—including academic studies, journalistic accounts, and cases recorded in the US National Registry of Exonerations
Was it your intention to ignore the subject matter and references cited in favor of attacking the author?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
The author has imbedded links throughout the article after referenced her sources in paragraph 2:
Quote:
But my research—including academic studies, journalistic accounts, and cases recorded in the US National Registry of Exonerations
Was it your intention to ignore the subject matter and references cited in favor of attacking the author?

No, though I certainly did intend to attack the author. None of that is her research. She's just someone who decided to assemble academic references to support her preconceived agenda. The actual academic research she cites is discussed in my post in this thread on September 2.

For better or for worse, this is the state of internet journalism in 2018. The author is some nobody with zero qualifications. She has an apparent agenda: she wants to discredit the idea that false sexual assault allegations are a real issue. So she links a bunch of stuff that doesn't actually say that, and she editorializes. This is life in the blogosphere.

If you read that article with a critical eye, and set aside your preconceptions, you will see that I'm right. Read the last quote in CL's post. Explain to us how this is supported by research in those embedded links. This article is an editorial masquerading as fact. Again, welcome to 2018.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject:

From the article. I underlined, italicized only because to me 52 is a high number. How many falsely accused were not exonerated? Early in this thread I said unfortunately there would be collateral damage for the reasons mentioned in the article.
Quote:
What if a woman has consensual sex, and then regrets it the next day? What if a woman gets dumped by her boyfriend and decides to accuse him of rape as revenge? What if she’s just doing it for attention?
Quote:
According to the National Registry of Exonerations, since records began in 1989, in the US there are only 52 cases where men convicted of sexual assault were exonerated because it turned out they were falsely accused.

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
From the article. I underlined, italicized only because to me 52 is a high number. How many falsely accused were not exonerated? Early in this thread I said unfortunately there would be collateral damage for the reasons mentioned in the article.
Quote:
What if a woman has consensual sex, and then regrets it the next day? What if a woman gets dumped by her boyfriend and decides to accuse him of rape as revenge? What if she’s just doing it for attention?
Quote:
According to the National Registry of Exonerations, since records began in 1989, in the US there are only 52 cases where men convicted of sexual assault were exonerated because it turned out they were falsely accused.

Right. Those are cases in which the accused was actually convicted and sent to prison, then later exonerated by DNA evidence, a witness recanting, or whatever. We “only” have 52 proven wrongful convictions since 1989, and this is evidence of something?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 37 of 44
Jump to: