Lakers hire Jason Rosenfeld as Director of Basketball Analytics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject:

Quote:

Analytics is about maximizing impact by finding underrated value/skills in a limited talent pool.

Houston pulled the trigger on trading for Harden when mainstream opinion was that he had 'old man game' and was a glorified 6th man.

I don't know where Daryl Morey is with analytics, but I think he's ahead of most GMs. If they used FTr as an indicator, this was a no-brainer decision. Harden had an absurd rate at Arizona St (60% for a guard).

Quote:
Spurs made a draft day trade for Kawhi when mainstream opinion said he was athletic but couldn't shoot a lick.

I don't think that's an analytical decision, unless it's based on block and steal rate. There's nothing to indicate how well and how fast Kawhi could implement guard skills. Frankly, I think if the Spurs don't draft him, he's not a star player, period.
Quote:

Golden State drafted Curry when mainstream opinion said he was too small to play SG and shot too much to play point with limited passing/ball handling.

Those who paid attention, knew Curry only really learned PG his last year at Davidson, where he doubled his assist average and clearly took on more ball-handling duties. Also, Jonny Flynn and other PGs were killing it during workouts as well, even the individual ones. Curry wasn't projected to be more than a microwave 6th man type. He didn't have the handles or passing level he has now, and just a foundation out of Davidson. I think he was the best remaining player on the board.

What's even more frustrating is, there are plenty of other NCAA players that have had Curry's TS%, and nowhere near the success at the NBA level.

Quote:

When Lonzo begins to impact the NBA game with his passing, pace and style, people will wonder why Boston and Philadelphia missed the opportunity to take him. Fairly soon, people will laugh at the mainstream opinion of being wary of his funky release and shot selection.

Zo's success will be based more along the lines of making an NBA team elite with pace and creating elite transition opportunities.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject:

The view from here in the foxhole is good hire.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
GreekTrojan wrote:
Sounds awesome. I loved Mitch but not having a top tier analytics guy was unacceptable for the Lakers. You don't have to be Morey or Cuban obsessed about them but you need to know what everyone else is looking at to make sure you aren't getting fleeced.

It seemed like it was a half-hearted attempt. Weren't we the only team in the league to not have a representative at the analytics forum? Now we have a guy who knows the entire league. They must've offered him a salary worthy of a Laker staffer. About time.

Lakers to attend 2014 Sloan conference
(Mar 5, 2013 Dave McMenamin)

Quote:

LOS ANGELES -- The Los Angeles Lakers might have been the only NBA team without a representative at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference in Boston over the weekend, but general manager Mitch Kupchak says that will change in the future.

"We have our reasons [for not attending] that we'll keep internal," Kupchak told ESPNLosAngeles.com before the Lakers played the Atlanta Hawks on Sunday. "We'll get some feedback and send someone next year."

Kupchak said that the Lakers have never sent a representative from the basketball operations side in the six years the event has been presented. Jeanie Buss, Lakers executive vice president of business operations, was a speaker at the conference last year, however.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: