OFFICIAL NBA ROOKIE OF THE YEAR (2017-18)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 25089

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
activeverb wrote:
noahp45 wrote:
kind of unfair

Simmons had a full year to watch film, be at the games, meet the players work with the staff.

Ball just stepped in and not with just any team.

I don't think people really know the weight of being playing for the Lakers.

I saw NOLA was selling a package of two tickets to the game comes with 4 beers and some food for like $200

You cant even get 1 preseason Laker ticket for less then $250



Eh. Simmons had a serious injury that required him to take almost a year off from competitive basketball; for me that equals out any advantage he had from meeting the staff and looking at film.

As far as Ball's pressure, that's life -- and he and his family are certainly adding to their own pressure unnecessarily, doing a reality show and such. And it's not like being a #1 overall pick in a town like Philly is pressure free.

Anyway, I'm not grading either on a curve. How they do is how they do. It's up to them.

Admittedly, he could have come back towards the end of last season, but decided to sit out the whole season so he could win ROY.


According to news reports, he sat out the whole season because his fractured foot did not heal as soon as expected. That strikes me as more believable than the idea that he was healthy and sat out to win Rookie of the Year. I think if you were able to he would have played last year. Rookie of the Year really isn't that big a deal
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 8462
Location: DMV

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
activeverb wrote:
noahp45 wrote:
kind of unfair

Simmons had a full year to watch film, be at the games, meet the players work with the staff.

Ball just stepped in and not with just any team.

I don't think people really know the weight of being playing for the Lakers.

I saw NOLA was selling a package of two tickets to the game comes with 4 beers and some food for like $200

You cant even get 1 preseason Laker ticket for less then $250



Eh. Simmons had a serious injury that required him to take almost a year off from competitive basketball; for me that equals out any advantage he had from meeting the staff and looking at film.

As far as Ball's pressure, that's life -- and he and his family are certainly adding to their own pressure unnecessarily, doing a reality show and such. And it's not like being a #1 overall pick in a town like Philly is pressure free.

Anyway, I'm not grading either on a curve. How they do is how they do. It's up to them.

Admittedly, he could have come back towards the end of last season, but decided to sit out the whole season so he could win ROY.


According to news reports, he sat out the whole season because his fractured foot did not heal as soon as expected. That strikes me as more believable than the idea that he was healthy and sat out to win Rookie of the Year. I think if you were able to he would have played last year. Rookie of the Year really isn't that big a deal

That was the official cover story.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakesGnrLake
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 07 Apr 2011
Posts: 563

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject:

I'm not saying Ben Simmons sat out because he wanted that RoTY, but if theres a player as brand conscious as Lebron, it is Ben.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ringfinger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 08 Oct 2013
Posts: 18920

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject:

LakesGnrLake wrote:
I'm not saying Ben Simmons sat out because he wanted that RoTY, but if theres a player as brand conscious as Lebron, it is Ben.


Lonzo is way more brand conscious than any other player sans Lebron.

And right now, Simmons is the ROY but we have a long season left. He'll have to stay healthy.

Or maybe he'll sit out the season to win Comeback Player of the Year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 25089

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject:

LakesGnrLake wrote:
I'm not saying Ben Simmons sat out because he wanted that RoTY, but if theres a player as brand conscious as Lebron, it is Ben.


Elton brand was born too soon
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 8462
Location: DMV

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject:

A name to add to the list: Big Finn Lauri Markkanen is putting up 16.3/9.3 in 34 mpg while shooting 45% from three. He also has zero assists in three games, but I don't think anyone expected him to be a passer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakesGnrLake
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 07 Apr 2011
Posts: 563

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
LakesGnrLake wrote:
I'm not saying Ben Simmons sat out because he wanted that RoTY, but if theres a player as brand conscious as Lebron, it is Ben.


Lonzo is way more brand conscious than any other player sans Lebron.

And right now, Simmons is the ROY but we have a long season left. He'll have to stay healthy.

Or maybe he'll sit out the season to win Comeback Player of the Year.


I would argue that Lonzo is the face of BBB but Lavar is the guy who does the "branding".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Shecky
Rookie
Rookie


Joined: 03 Jul 2016
Posts: 23

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject:

Mamba Mentality wrote:
Hate to say this, but Tatum looked pretty good last night. Granted it was only ONE game in.

-------------------------------------------------
Well now it's 4 games in and he's coming off a 22 point night (9-15 and 4 of 6 from three). He hasn't had a bad game yet. Kid is really impressive and looks like a future all-star. The trade Ainge made to take him at #3 looks nothing short of brilliant at this point, with Fultz struggling the way he is.
To me, Simmons is the ROY favorite with Ball and Tatum 1A and 1B.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 8462
Location: DMV

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject:

Shecky wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:
Hate to say this, but Tatum looked pretty good last night. Granted it was only ONE game in.

-------------------------------------------------
Well now it's 4 games in and he's coming off a 22 point night (9-15 and 4 of 6 from three). He hasn't had a bad game yet. Kid is really impressive and looks like a future all-star. The trade Ainge made to take him at #3 looks nothing short of brilliant at this point, with Fultz struggling the way he is.
To me, Simmons is the ROY favorite with Ball and Tatum 1A and 1B.

As a bit of a Tatum skeptic, more than his scoring, I've been impressed with his defense and rebounding so far.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 120968
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
A name to add to the list: Big Finn Lauri Markkanen is putting up 16.3/9.3 in 34 mpg while shooting 45% from three. He also has zero assists in three games, but I don't think anyone expected him to be a passer.


It wouldn’t surprise me if he is in the running.
_________________
#lakerclownshow
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
AY2043
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 Feb 2012
Posts: 9358

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject:

This rookie class is insane.

At least 7 guys already look like studs right out of the gate
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 30 Mar 2009
Posts: 2161

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
A name to add to the list: Big Finn Lauri Markkanen is putting up 16.3/9.3 in 34 mpg while shooting 45% from three. He also has zero assists in three games, but I don't think anyone expected him to be a passer.


I definitely did not. I said he was Channing Frye 2.0. Told my Bulls fans heck no, don't take this guy. He's appeared much more fluid and athletic than I remember at Arizona, where he seemed pretty stiff-ish to me. I was wrong, he's going to be good.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 15022
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:41 am    Post subject:

almost two weeks in....Simmons appears to be the early front runner.

2. Tatum
3. Fox
4. Markkanen
5. Dennis Smith Jr.
6. Ball
7. Josh Jackson
8. John Collins
9. Kuzma
_________________
"Lonzo Ball is the headline, Kyle Kuzma is the STORY!" Jalen Rose
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
easybreeze
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 06 Jun 2005
Posts: 2234

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject:

Simmons do have a slight advantage by sitting out his first year. Being able to sit on the bench for 80 games, and watch and go over film will give anyone an advantage over someone fresh out of college.

If Ball stays injury free and average 10+ assist, with some highlight type passes and the team stop looking dysfunctional, I think Ball could win it.

ESPN seem to give him enough exposure
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 8462
Location: DMV

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
A name to add to the list: Big Finn Lauri Markkanen is putting up 16.3/9.3 in 34 mpg while shooting 45% from three. He also has zero assists in three games, but I don't think anyone expected him to be a passer.


I definitely did not. I said he was Channing Frye 2.0. Told my Bulls fans heck no, don't take this guy. He's appeared much more fluid and athletic than I remember at Arizona, where he seemed pretty stiff-ish to me. I was wrong, he's going to be good.

I was thinking Frye, too, but I didn't take into account how much more dynamic Markkanen was at Arizona even if he only drives left so far. I'm thinking 7-foot Ryan Anderson right now, which is still a helluva player.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 8462
Location: DMV

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
almost two weeks in....Simmons appears to be the early front runner.

2. Tatum
3. Fox
4. Markkanen
5. Dennis Smith Jr.
6. Ball
7. Josh Jackson
8. John Collins
9. Kuzma



Hater!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 15022
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
adkindo wrote:
almost two weeks in....Simmons appears to be the early front runner.

2. Tatum
3. Fox
4. Markkanen
5. Dennis Smith Jr.
6. Ball
7. Josh Jackson
8. John Collins
9. Kuzma



Hater!


would love for you to explain.....how would you list them? I had to list my prediction as 7th. I think my rankings are pretty accurate based on play.
_________________
"Lonzo Ball is the headline, Kyle Kuzma is the STORY!" Jalen Rose
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 83101

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject:

What's your criteria for #2-5 ahead of Ball?
_________________
#PG2018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 8462
Location: DMV

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Simmons
Ball
Fox
Collins
Tatum
Markkanen
DSJ
Kuzma
Jackson
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 120968
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject:

I would say at this point

Simmons
Tatum
Ball
_________________
#lakerclownshow
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 8462
Location: DMV

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject:

Btw, having DSJ ahead of Ball at this point is ridiculous.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 15022
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Simmons
Ball
Fox
Collins
Tatum
Markkanen
DSJ
Kuzma
Jackson


you cannot be serious...you have the guy that besides one outlier game against PHX is averaging 5 Points a game, and shooting 22% from 3 at #2....that is ridiculous!

De'Aaron Fox is leading his team in scoring and is averaging 15/5/5 with a PER of 19.4....in 27 MPG.

Markkanen is averaging 16 & 9 while shooting 46% from 3 and a 60% true shooting %.

Tatum is averaging 15 / 8 / 2 while shooting 46% from 3 and a 60% true shooting %.

John Collins is averaging 12 & 8 in 19 MPG. Has a PER of 25.46.

DSJ is averaging 15 PPG, 3 RPG, 5 APG in 29 minutes while shooting 49% from the field.

No way you put Ball ahead of any of those guys as of today.
_________________
"Lonzo Ball is the headline, Kyle Kuzma is the STORY!" Jalen Rose
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 8462
Location: DMV

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject:

Bogdan Bogdan of the Kings is a lot of fun.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 8462
Location: DMV

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Simmons
Ball
Fox
Collins
Tatum
Markkanen
DSJ
Kuzma
Jackson


you cannot be serious...you have the guy that besides one outlier game against PHX is averaging 5 Points a game, and shooting 22% from 3 at #2....that is ridiculous!

De'Aaron Fox is leading his team in scoring and is averaging 15/5/5 with a PER of 19.4....in 27 MPG.

Markkanen is averaging 16 & 9 while shooting 46% from 3 and a 60% true shooting %.

Tatum is averaging 15 / 8 / 2 while shooting 46% from 3 and a 60% true shooting %.

John Collins is averaging 12 & 8 in 19 MPG. Has a PER of 25.46.

DSJ is averaging 15 PPG, 3 RPG, 5 APG in 29 minutes while shooting 49% from the field.

No way you put Ball ahead of any of those guys as of today.

I'll deal with this tomorrow at a reasonable hour, but your Ball hate is a bad look.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 15022
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Simmons
Ball
Fox
Collins
Tatum
Markkanen
DSJ
Kuzma
Jackson


you cannot be serious...you have the guy that besides one outlier game against PHX is averaging 5 Points a game, and shooting 22% from 3 at #2....that is ridiculous!

De'Aaron Fox is leading his team in scoring and is averaging 15/5/5 with a PER of 19.4....in 27 MPG.

Markkanen is averaging 16 & 9 while shooting 46% from 3 and a 60% true shooting %.

Tatum is averaging 15 / 8 / 2 while shooting 46% from 3 and a 60% true shooting %.

John Collins is averaging 12 & 8 in 19 MPG. Has a PER of 25.46.

DSJ is averaging 15 PPG, 3 RPG, 5 APG in 29 minutes while shooting 49% from the field.

No way you put Ball ahead of any of those guys as of today.

I'll deal with this tomorrow at a reasonable hour, but your Ball hate is a bad look.


I just gave you sufficient detailed evidence....beyond that, you know how high I am on Jackson....but I recognize Ball has outperformed him as of today. Do I now hate Jackson too? It is not a prediction....just an honest view a couple weeks into the season.
_________________
"Lonzo Ball is the headline, Kyle Kuzma is the STORY!" Jalen Rose
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB