Grizzlies to retire Tony Allen's #9
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
I get it now. Memphis didn't want to be one of the last NBA franchises with no jerseys hanging in their rafters. They currently don't have any and I guess with TA leaving after such a long time and being closest to retirement, he gets to be the first.

Three of those four expansion franchises from the late 80s/early 90s (Heat, Hornets/Pelicans, Grizzlies and Magic) have at least one. I give the Grizzlies some credit for not stooping to such lame theatrics like the other three:

1. Heat retiring MJ's number
2. Hornets/Pelicans retiring Pistol Pete's number
3. Magic retiring number 6 for the fans

Among other NBA franchises, the Bobcats/Hornets and Thunder are still too new. The Thunder didn't retain any of the retired number rights from the Sonics but they already have/had players who will be honored at some point.

It should come as a shock to no one that, after 46 years of existence the Clippers have none. You would think they could have retired Bob McAdoo's Buffalo Braves jersey or even an All-Star player like Elton Brand. I think it speaks volumes about the Clippers franchise's rep for not giving a crap about their players.

They've already announced they're going to retire Zach Randolph as well. I don't think it has anything to do with not having retired any jerseys. If anything, it's just about giving some salves to fans that they are letting a couple of longtime favorite leave. That's the only reason I can think that they announced it in advance. Beyond that, lots of teams have retired players at their level. I think is Laker fans we forget that because we are used to only retiring Hall of Famers jerseys

Their fans need some salve. The Grizzlies are a team on the downslide and despite some success over the years, they've have never even won a division title banner to hang in their rafters. Sucks for them to be in the same division with the Spurs, Rockets and Mavs who've all made it to the top of the NBA.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: