Michael Jordan on Superteams: " 28 teams are going to be garbage"

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Michael Jordan on Superteams: " 28 teams are going to be garbage"

Even though I agree with him overall I don't feel bad for him either

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/10/12/michael-jordan-on-superteams-28-teams-are-going-to-be-garbage/

Quote:

Michael Jordan on Superteams: “28 teams are going to be garbage”

Michael Jordan was the heart of one of the NBA’s great super teams, a Chicago Bulls squad that dominated the 1990s with six rings. It also happened to be the NBA’s most popular era.

Today, Jordan is a smaller-market NBA owner (Charlotte is the eighth-smallest media market in the NBA), and from his new business perspective, he’s not a fan of NBA superteams. This summer saw a consolidation of power as Houston and Oklahoma City loaded up to go at Golden State, while Boston put itself in position for future runs at Cleveland. A lot of owners had hoped that the new CBA would flatten out the talent pool, but that has not happened.

Here is what Jordan told Cigar Aficionado (in an article where MJ says he smokes six cigars a day), with a hat tip to Ben Goliver of Sports Illustrated (who apparently is a cigar aficionado).

“I think it’s going to hurt the overall aspect of the league from a competitive standpoint. You’re going to have one or two teams that are going to be great, and another 28 teams that are going to be garbage. Or they’re going to have a tough time surviving in the business environment.”

Jordan isn’t the only small- or middle-sized market owner to make this argument, although few others use the word garbage. The argument is that the league is top-heavy with a few great teams and if smaller markets like Charlotte are merely “good” — and the Hornets should be a good team, a playoff team in the East, although the Nicolas Batum injury is a setback — it will be hard to draw fans, get big sponsors, get good local television deals, and make money.

Jordan’s concern also isn’t new. The NBA’s national television ratings always thrive when it can get its biggest names on its biggest platforms — LeBron, Kevin Durant, and Stephen Curry in the Finals last season meant the best ratings since the Jordan era — and that has always led to a challenge in other markets. Smaller market owners were making this very case in the 1980s when the Lakers and Celtics bi-coastal rivalry dominated the sport. Same during Jordan’s 1990s run (he’s just on the other side of it now), or when Shaq/Kobe dominated, or when LeBron was in Miami, or… you get the picture.

Some fans will argue this is different because the players are recruiting each other and teams aren’t “organic,” but it’s not because no matter how these super teams were put together the impact is the same.

Overall, I would argue super teams are good for the sport — and with that smaller market owners. Superteams drive popularity, and while Jordan may struggle to make an annual profit in Charlotte, those figures don’t include how much teams like Golden State and Cleveland (and Houston, and OKC) are driving up the value of all franchises in the league. The Rockets just sold for $2.2 billion. With a “B.” It is a rising tide that floats all boats — and it also leads to massive national television contracts that all owners share in.

And all that’s not even getting into the argument that Oklahoma City and San Antonio are small markets, but with well-managed teams they are doing just fine.

Jordan may be frustrated about team building and his Hornets not being in position to, or able to, draw a superstar player, but that’s not the system’s fault.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject:

It's not the superteams' fault that any Michael Jordan-owned franchise sucks, and will always suck.
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:26 am    Post subject:

The Bobcats were the last drop into a talent dilluted league.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
It's not the superteams' fault that any Michael Jordan-owned franchise sucks, and will always suck.

Someone needs to show MJ his draft history. He's picked one All-Star in 13 years of running the Hornets and Kemba Walker has only made it once.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject:

The big market vs. small market stuff comes from the author, not from MJ. There is no reason why a super team couldn’t form in a small market. Heck, Cleveland is not a big market, and Houston is not LA or NYC. Miami is smaller than Houston.

What MJ is talking about is the effect on the league’s product. If this trend continues, it will eventually become a serious problem. But right now I don’t think it is.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject:

Well, outside of Lebron teams, the East has been a joke for quite a while now. I'd say since MJ retired.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
The big market vs. small market stuff comes from the author, not from MJ. There is no reason why a super team couldn’t form in a small market. Heck, Cleveland is not a big market, and Houston is not LA or NYC. Miami is smaller than Houston.

What MJ is talking about is the effect on the league’s product. If this trend continues, it will eventually become a serious problem. But right now I don’t think it is.

The question is, does something need to be done about it? And if so, what? The league thought they might have had a solution until the TV money came, now teams are ignoring the luxury tax in attempts to compete l.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Some people would say the Thunder are a superteam, both the previous iteration and the current iteration.
Murdock
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject:

The whole parity thing is nearly impossible in basketball.. It is as it has been and will be, there are 1-2 transcendent talents that are in the league and they're going to be in the finals short of injury

Other sports have parity, the game of basketball simply isn't it. If you're a fan of a Memphis or an Indiana or an Orlando.. Good luck..
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject:

Hammett wrote:
Well, outside of Lebron teams, the East has been a joke for quite a while now. I'd say since MJ retired.

the KG-Pierce-Allen-Rondo Celtics team was force at its peak
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:

Someone needs to show MJ his draft history. He's picked one All-Star in 13 years of running the Hornets and Kemba Walker has only made it once.

You almost have to try to be that bad
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:40 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

The question is, does something need to be done about it? And if so, what? The league thought they might have had a solution until the TV money came, now teams are ignoring the luxury tax in attempts to compete l.

The owners might panic and try to push through a franchise tag rule or something like that, but I expect that things will calm down before we get to the next CBA negotiation. If the Warriors find a way to keep their roster intact without paying monumental amounts of luxury tax, that would probably force some sort of change.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:

You almost have to try to be that bad

Adam Morrison says hi!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

The owners might panic and try to push through a franchise tag rule or something like that, but I expect that things will calm down before we get to the next CBA negotiation. If the Warriors find a way to keep their roster intact without paying monumental amounts of luxury tax, that would probably force some sort of change.

The Warriors were an odd situation where that huge one-time salary cap jump allowed them to sign Durant. I think sooner rather than later they'll lose some key guys because they won't be able to pay their salary.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject:

Says the guy who was on the best super team for 6 years
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:43 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:

Wouldn't call what Jordan was on anything near a super team.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:

I agree that he was not a part of a super team.

First 3-peat: Jordan, Pippen, and Grant.

Second 3-peat: Jordan, Pippen, and Rodman.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject:

Mamba Mentality wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:

I know there isn't an agreed upon definition of what superteam means, but I'd say the second threepeat team of his definitely qualifies.

You had two Top 50 guys, another Hall of Famer, plus a great supporting cast of Ron Harper, Steve Kerr, Toni Kukoc.

If that isn't a superteam, I'm not sure what a superteam is.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Mamba Mentality wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:

Eh. I think the second three-peat team was basically a super team. GOAT player, one of the great SF's of all-time who is an even better defender, GOAT rebounder, who is also one of the best defenders ever. Sixth Man of the Year off the bench.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Oddly, the league is as popular as it has ever been, and it gained popularity over the past 30 years despite the 80s being dominated by the Lakers and Celtics and Jordan's Bulls winning six championships in eight years (and likely only not winning eight straight because of his foray into baseball).
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:

Eh. I think the second three-peat team was basically a super team. GOAT player, one of the great SF's of all-time who is an even better defender, GOAT rebounder, who is also one of the best defenders ever. Sixth Man of the Year off the bench.

And led by one of the greatest coaches of all time.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:

I know there isn't an agreed upon definition of what superteam means, but I'd say the second threepeat team of his definitely qualifies.

You had two Top 50 guys, another Hall of Famer, plus a great supporting cast of Ron Harper, Steve Kerr, Toni Kukoc.

If that isn't a superteam, I'm not sure what a superteam is.

their super teams were developed, not formed.
if MJ called Charles Barkley, Patrick Ewing, Dream, and say" hey buddy, let's form and team so we can kick everyone's ass" , then that's forming a super team.
Jordan/ Pippen were drafted by the bulls, that's why i don't consider warriors a super team before they add KD.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Not sure how significant this is but one reason why names like Tom Brady, LeBron James and Stephen Curry are so well known is they keep playing on teams that win a lot. Baseball has more parity and I would think if you mention Mike Trout you’ll get a lot of blank stares from people who recognize the other names.
bum2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:08 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Not sure how significant this is but one reason why names like Tom Brady, LeBron James and Stephen Curry are so well known is they keep playing on teams that win a lot. Baseball has more parity and I would think if you mention Mike Trout you’ll get a lot of blank stares from people who recognize the other names.
The trout issue is more to do with baseball not being as popular as it used to be and Trout having the personality of a Trout.

It is a bit rich, coming from Jordan. By humans are often hypocrites. You can have whatever definition you want of a superteam...but when a team pretty much wins 6 straight titles ( screw 95 ) with you, you played on a superteam.
Unless this is an exercise of self promotion, which with MJ, wouldn't be too much of a stretch.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: