Laker Report: They Have to Be Trying to Improve, Right?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject: Laker Report: They Have to Be Trying to Improve, Right?

Here's my latest at HOOPSWORLD.com

link

Enjoy!
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:04 am    Post subject:

Good read, Eric hopefully something is done ( and fast ).
ALbino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:11 am    Post subject:

God I hope they're working something. Heck, anything. Even if it's just trading an expiring contract for a 2nd rounder.

AL.
MrLaker83
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:16 am    Post subject:

Great read eric!

Im on the same page with you, I hope they are working on something!
Ank
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:16 am    Post subject:

Dude. I love you. You treaded carefully enough to show you knew what was probably gonna happen, while also giving little hope to people who didn't read the clues. I shop at that store too,and you can find good stuff there. Perfect article. Perfect. you really managed to write two articles. One for those who don't know what's going on and one for people who do.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject:

Ank - word - and thx
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject:

I love shopping in K-Mart.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject:

Interesting Read, Eric

"Despite the fact that the Hawks have won just four road games all season, why is it hard to anticipate a Laker win?"

** They do not have a good record, though they recently defeated the mighty Detroit Pistons?!?! Even the Shaq/Kobe Laker teams have lost some awful games, but hopefully this team realizes that they cannot relax against anybody. Shouldn't they?

"Although a 42-40 record is an eight game improvement over last season's debacle, most experts set 45 as the number of wins likely needed to make the playoffs."

** I think that PJ will be coaching differently after the All-Star Break since (hopefully) he used the previous games to teach the Triangle and various player combinations to see how they react to pressure.

"LA is most likely to finish at either the seventh or eighth seed."
Their goal should be between 6th or 7th that would avoid facing San Antonio & Dallas in consecutive series if they were seeded 5th - the likely position that the Clippers would wind up with.

"Should the Lakers continue to play so inconsistently"
** It is hope that PJ will settle on a working lineup, substitution pattern and who are his "crunch time" players. With PJ being more active and set, hopefully this will limit the inconsistencies and they will be winning the close games. If they had won just 3 to 4 of the games that they should have won, they would be in 6th/7th place at this time.

"Kupchak stated he felt the team could make the playoffs as is, but did acknowledge that it would probably take a move for the team to have any significant post-season success."
** Correct assessment for the Lakers to be a championship team. That is not a realistic goal for this season, next season - however.

"with injuries to Aaron McKie"
** What exactly the status of McKie, will he be back after the All-Star Break and/or soon after? If not, would they waive him to get somebody like Derek Anderson - available since he has been replaced by Alston at PG?

"Lakers have no intention to trade Odom at this deadline, unless a very short list of players becomes available. Be certain to know that every name on that list will be participating in the All-Star Game on Sunday night."
** Everyone admits that he has the talent to a perennial All-Star.

"The players considered to be available in trade are Slava Medvedenko, Devean George and Aaron McKie."
** Maybe they are awaiting for a player like Artest (OMG - that name comes up again?!?!) at a price that SacTown would be satisfied like an epiring contract with players that they would immediately waive because they see this year as a lost season and the Lakers would have seen that RonRon hasn't blown up mentally.

"That said, none are necessarily likely to garner what the Lakers would want in return."
** Agreed. Maybe the can get a lottery pick to chose Duke Reddick as the needed shooter - though one would ask what happened to Von Wafer who has a similar reputation of being a hot-shot shooter?!?!

"The Lakers have been a relatively conservative organization."
Not necessarily so, they don't do moves that just improves the team marginally - they are looking for players that will make a dramatic change. Bynum is a good example of this. Sasha/Smush have the potential to be like the Pistons' Billips in the very near future and wouldn't it be sad that we gave up on them too early.

"Lakers aren't going to mortgage their future unless they are completely convinced that this theoretical imperfect player will succeed in the triangle offense under the tutelage of Phil Jackson."
** That's the way it should be

"Not a run in 2007 or 2008, but actually in 2006."
** PJ has the ability to make a team that can beat teams that is focused on 1 or 2 star players. With Cook, DGeorge and Mihm starting to show some consistently to produce on offense - with Brown, Sasha, Bynum and others providing defense - combined with Zen Master's savvy, we might witness some magic during the playoffs. Since the Lakers have shown that they can focus on teams that catch their attention and play very competively/if not win (i.e. Dallas). Of course, I always look at a glass half-filled, as oppose to half empty.

Eric, again good read and look forward to other people's opinion
Colby Briant
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:05 am    Post subject:

Great work Emplay. One of your best reads ever.

Personally I dont like shopping at K-Mart. Never have. lots of punks there with bad attitudes.
orido86
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:23 am    Post subject:

tnx
filipensses
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:45 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
The issue at hand is that the Lakers are browsing at Tiffany's but only have the trade bait to shop at K-Mart.

Now K-Mart is a nice store, but you're not going to find LeBron James at a K-Mart (though I once saw Baron Davis at the one across the street from my place, true story).

Thanks, Eric! Since you like to use "hints" in your articles (the SATIRE thing and "Jurassic Proportions"), should we assume the Lakers are trying to get Kenyon Martin?
filipensses
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:57 am    Post subject:

There's something I don't get it: why the Lakers guaranteed Brown's third year? If his contract had a team option, they could wait as much as they wanted, they'd have nothing to lose and maybe something to gain in 2007 (who knows what could happen by then?)...I still don't understand what the Lakers would gain from signing Brown's 3rd year NOW.
BigE32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:58 am    Post subject:

Thanks again, emplay. I enjoy reading your articles.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:01 am    Post subject:

I can only assume it was a condition of the deal - sign with us and once Yao and Amare extend - we in turn will guarantee your third year.
filipensses
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:23 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
I can only assume it was a condition of the deal - sign with us and once Yao and Amare extend - we in turn will guarantee your third year.

That would make sense to me only if he was a FA, but he was traded to us. It's not like the Lakers had to convince him to sign with us - and given his history in DC, to be traded to LA, the biggest market of the league, would be a blessing to him. The way I see it, Kwame was not in a position where he could say "do this or that for me to sign". The Lakers were the ones pulling the strings, not Kwame.

And even if that was the case, do you believe the front office would reveal the so called 2007 plan to his players, even saying names (Yao and Amare) - and BEFORE THEY SIGN? What if something goes wrong and Kwame ended up playing elsewhere, he would be playing in another city and would know in advance what is the plan the Lakers have for 2007?
KingKobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:43 am    Post subject:

We signed the third year for Kwame Brown????????

wtf!? He sucks! And now?

I was almost getting used to the idea of waiting 2 years for a good player (Kirk H at least), but now instead were getting another year of Brown?!

That's the worst move ever.

EDDIE GRIFFIN IS TWICE THE PLAYER KWAME IS FOR HALF THE MONEY!!!!!!

...........I've defended the guy before but that fire Mitch wagon is looking mighty comfortable.

How is Kobe gonna bring LA another championship? With Kenyon Martin?........yeah....great, the spurs are just shaking I'm sure......

"We're all surrounded by idiots." - Kobe Bryant
LAL25
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject:

The answer to your question, emplay, is...probably not.
targetman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:55 am    Post subject:

KingKobe wrote:
We signed the third year for Kwame Brown????????

wtf!? He sucks! And now?

I was almost getting used to the idea of waiting 2 years for a good player (Kirk H at least), but now instead were getting another year of Brown?!

That's the worst move ever.

EDDIE GRIFFIN IS TWICE THE PLAYER KWAME IS FOR HALF THE MONEY!!!!!!

...........I've defended the guy before but that fire Mitch wagon is looking mighty comfortable.

Where have you been for the past week? This disappointing news has been beat to death. Nothing the Lakers can do about it now and it does not appear to benefit the organization in any way.
How is Kobe gonna bring LA another championship? With Kenyon Martin?........yeah....great, the spurs are just shaking I'm sure......

KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject:

filipensses wrote:
emplay wrote:

That would make sense to me only if he was a FA, but he was traded to us. It's not like the Lakers had to convince him to sign with us - and given his history in DC, to be traded to LA, the biggest market of the league, would be a blessing to him. The way I see it, Kwame was not in a position where he could say "do this or that for me to sign". The Lakers were the ones pulling the strings, not Kwame.

it was a sign and trade deal.
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The Bottom Line
It just seems so obvious the Lakers need to make a move at the deadline; yet the message the team has been sending seems to say the opposite.

With the heights Kobe Bryant has reached individually this season, it would be a shame not to surround that talent with the needed pieces to make a serious playoff run.

Not a run in 2007 or 2008, but actually in 2006.

The Lakers have to be working on a deal, right?

How could it even be possible that they're not?

Imagine how Kobe must feel and the frustration he is going through.

Lakers are content with playing it conservative, saving money and waiting. However, Kobe, along with all great players, cannot play at the level Kobe is at forever. In addition, Kobe is watching his LA neighbors (Clippers) make a legitimate run at the championship after he chose not to join them during his free agency.

For every frustrated Lakers fan, imagine how Kobe must be feeling!

How could it even be possible that they're not considering Kobe?
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject:

is their a reason why you cant just tell us the details emplay? Like you said, it could either happen or not happen. Whats the risk of just giving us the lowdown?
Dennis_D
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
The Lakers have been a relatively conservative organization.

Hmmm...The Lakers traded for two RFA's that had been busts through their first four years (Mihm and Brown) and made them starters. They drafted with their highest draft pick since 1994 a high school kid who really didn't play much high school ball and whose teams never did anything while he was on it. Their draft pick before that was a 20 year old Slovenian. The starting PG this season is a player whose prior experience in the NBA was being a bust with three other NBA teams. They traded away their 6th man from last season to clear a roster spot for an undrafted rookie that doesn't have a jump shot.

If those are the actions of a relatively conservative organization, I wonder what daring organizations do?
LAL25
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject:

Dennis_D wrote:
emplay wrote:

Hmmm...The Lakers traded for two RFA's that had been busts through their first four years (Mihm and Brown) and made them starters. They drafted with their highest draft pick since 1994 a high school kid who really didn't play much high school ball and whose teams never did anything while he was on it. Their draft pick before that was a 20 year old Slovenian. The starting PG this season is a player whose prior experience in the NBA was being a bust with three other NBA teams. They traded away their 6th man from last season to clear a roster spot for an undrafted rookie that doesn't have a jump shot.

If those are the actions of a relatively conservative organization, I wonder what daring organizations do?

Being daring as the byproduct of desperation isn't something to laud.
Dennis_D
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject:

LAL25 wrote:
Dennis_D wrote:
emplay wrote:

Being daring as the byproduct of desperation isn't something to laud.

Eric made the statement that "Lakers have been a relatively conservative organization" and I challenged the truthfulness of that statement.

Were the daring moves worthy of laud? Let's see:

Was trading for Mihm and making him a starter a good move? Yes
Was trading for Brown and making him a starter a good move? Too early to tell, but leaning towards no
Was drafting Bynum a good move? Too early to tell, but leaning towards yes
Was making Smush their starting PG a good move? Yes
Was trading away JJ to keep Green a good move? Too early to tell, but leaning towards no

5 gambles, two of which have paid off, one of which looks like it will pay off and two that aren't looking so good. I am happy with that. Of course, the bash Mitch crowd would complain even if all 5 gambles had succeeded.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject:

I personally don't mind K-Mart. I think there are bad attitudes there, but every once in a while you find a really good store to shop at with some good deals.

OK, metaphors aside, while I am not a K-Mart fan, his toughness is something the Lakers are really lacking. For all the talk there is here about Smush and Sasha (and Chucky before them) just letting opposing PGs slash to the basket uncontested, how much of that would continue to happen if the opposing PG knew there was someone back there who would be very willing to lay out some pain if they kept trying it? I see K-Mart as that person, and very willing to do it.

But I have a question. How does one gauge who would be good for the triangle offense? Is Martin a good passer? Can he grasp offenses? Does anyone have his contract to see how long it lasts and how bad it is? What would it take for the Lakers to make that trade (just numbers-wise)? Then we get into what the Lakers would offer and what Kiki would take.

Eric, your signals are not very subtle. Why the change in heart this time and frank openness?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6
Jump to: