Kobe's "Pippen"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
THE_DAGGER
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject: Kobe's "Pippen"

I know, I know...it's been beaten to death trying to say this guy and the other can be Kobe's "Pippen". It could have been Devean. It should have been Artest. It might be Lamar. But, I have another name to throw into the mix: Mickael Pietrus.

In case you didn't know, Mickael Pietrus plays for the Golden State Warriors. And eventhough I'm a Laker fan, I reside in the Bay Area and happen to catch Warriors games quite a bit. This guy was drafted out of France by the Warriors in the first round because of his athleticism, but more importantly for his defense. He's a great man-to-man defender (but, if you've seen him guard Kobe over the last couple of years you probably wouldn't know that).

We all know that being that great defender is not something you can learn. It's something that's just in you or not, and it was in Pippen and I believe that it's in Pietrus too.

Now when I say "Pippen" I don't necessarily mean the facilitator of the triangle. When I say "Pippen" I'm talking about the guy that let MJ get his while he took the responsibility of guarding the other team's best perimeter player. And in doing so, still able to get his 15 a game. Pietrus could be that guy for Kobe.

He's a 6'6" 2 that gets no tick at that position because the franchise has all their chips on Jason Richardson panning out as an all star. So when he does actually get time it's at the 3, where lo and behold, he's used to guard the best perimeter player while Richardson goes for his on offense.

Aside from his defense, I really think if given a chance he could be a solid scorer as well. The athleticism is there so dunks, put backs, and other easy buckets should come to him no problem. But, he can also shoot the 3, big 3's if need be. And when he does takes it to the basket, highlight material is always a chance. Not only that, but, he has that knack for the "and 1". He's good at absorbing the contact, getting the foul, and still making the shot.

But, most importantly he has that swagger about him. This guy wants to be a star. He thinks all his shots are going in and even looks as if he tries to will the baskets in while he holds his form. Dare I say it? He kind of reminds me of Kobe. Now do I think he could ever be on that level? Hell no! But, just having that hint of Kobe in his game puts him on the right track. Who knows? He might even look up to Kobe and tries to encompass some of his traits. That could be enough for him and Kobe to build a chemistry together and become a deadly duo.

Kobe could use an athletic perimeter defender by his side to take some pressure off him. This player is not being utilized properly on his current team and I believe he is in the last year of his rookie contract. So he should be a free agent this summer.

So what do you guys think? Are you going to call Mitch or should I?
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject:

I generally like Pietrus ever since he's come into the league.

Still has some untapped potential for sure.

I said the weeks leading up to the trade, and still maintain, that Indiana
made a mistake not taking the Murphy/Pietrus package for Artest instead
of Peja, who is a turnstile on defense, a terrible rebounder for his size,
and who's only true ability - shooting - has declined 8% over the last
two years.

Walsh said he wanted young talent, and he scoops Peja? Bad move.

Anywho, Pietrus would be a nice pickup for us.

Just a matter of what Denver wants for him if he's still available, and
how willing they are to deal with a conference rival.
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject:

Hey! I have a patent on that moniker. You'll owe me royalties....
Nahtanoj
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:19 am    Post subject:

I like Pietrus too.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject:

The Dagger wrote:

Rut roh.

And he has the CAPS version.

Better pray people don't nickname you guys to differentiate.

Ya know, "Inferior Dagger" and "Superior Dagger."

Or "Dagger" and "Dagger Junior."

Those lower-case letters could screw ya out of the better end of either of those
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:02 am    Post subject:

I like Pietrus, he's an athletich beast, good defender and shooter, but I don't think he'll be any more than a quality starter in this league, now Iguodala would be a nice Pip.
BenO
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:07 am    Post subject:

3976 posts compared to 2 posts I think is the most important issue here. I'm sure it's just an honest mistake and will soon be rectified.

Maybe he/she can be The Dagger 2.0
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject:

Odom/Medvadenko for Pietrus/Fisher!!!

Do it Mitch!
lakers1969
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:24 am    Post subject:

That would give us two frenchman in the team

I like Pietrus plus he has the "killer instinct. Could be a good back-up for Lamar or move LO to SF then Pietrus initiate the tri.
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject:

sodapoppenski wrote:
The Dagger wrote:

Rut roh.

And he has the CAPS version.

Better pray people don't nickname you guys to differentiate.

Ya know, "Inferior Dagger" and "Superior Dagger."

Or "Dagger" and "Dagger Junior."

Those lower-case letters could screw ya out of the better end of either of those

Thanks beno....I think my post count should give me the upper hand. If not I have other things I can pull out...to prove my point.
PecheMode
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject:

not to live in the past, but if i had to pick 1 player in the L to be Kobe's pippen, that player would need to :

Be able to initiate an offense
Handle the ball
Score when he needs to
Play lockdown D

I think Artest qualifies for that. Can't think of any other player.
Afro
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject:

I want Diaw now, and I wanted Diaw while he was playing for the Hawks. In Atlanta he had a very low trade-value, it'd been fairly easy to get him.

Diaw >>>>> Pietrus

Diaw could start at the point, at small forward, at power forward, if needed also at center. Diaw would be Kobe's "Everthing".

But Mikael Pietrus can play. too. Get them both Mitch.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject:

LO-4 Iggy, and Matt Barnes
NY_LakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject:

bounty wrote:
LO-4 Iggy, and Matt Barnes

Do you actually THINK before you post trades like this???

Not only does it not work from a salary cap perspective but just what would be our lineup??? You just traded an over-sized SF/undersized PF for two more small SFs. Isn't this exactly what everyone was screaming about in the off-season ... that Mitch had accumulated a bunch of Small Forwards with no bigs. Taking away 6'10" for a 6'7" SF who can't even break into the rotation of the sixers and a 6'6" swingman who averages 12/6.5/2.5 ... WOW ... THAT would make us into contenders.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject:

Just_Looking wrote:
contenders .

OK. It would make us better, and add one more piece to build with. Who do you think we are getting for LO? Do you actually think LO is part of the future? Iggy, Kobe and Bynum would be a ridiculous defensive base. Iggy adds length to Kobes career. Barnes has exceeded EXPECTATIONS. You know what that means? A guy who plays tough and puts maximum effort. Good bench. we get a starter and a bench guy. Great trade for the Lakers. Come on. Does LO really use his length, maybe RB's but scoring? Defense? Hell NO.

This roster is atrocious. We are no closer to rebuilding than we were when we lost to D-TOWN. Kobe, Iggy, Bynum, give us 3 guys who will get it going

Last edited by bounty on Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total
40ptmachine
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject:

B_P wrote:
Odom/Medvadenko for Pietrus/Fisher!!!

Do it Mitch!

agreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject:

I've always wanted Pietrus also. What's strange is he gets nearly no time in Golden State. They keep playing Dunleavy Jr because he's their golden boy, but the guy has no D and they keep complaining about it.

I believe Pietrus is still on his rookie contract so we could get him for Slava only, but would they take a guy that won't play this year. Also, he seems to get rattled under pressure when handling the ball. This may be due to not getting on the court.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject:

Im sure if we offered LO to take DFish off their hands they may oblige
Panthas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject:

Ya Know we still might get Artest because if what they are saying is true then he might sign with us after his contract is up...and with keeping Odom!! Talk about a deep team....
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject:

Afro wrote:
I want Diaw now, and I wanted Diaw while he was playing for the Hawks. In Atlanta he had a very low trade-value, it'd been fairly easy to get him.

Diaw >>>>> Pietrus

Diaw could start at the point, at small forward, at power forward, if needed also at center. Diaw would be Kobe's "Everthing".

But Mikael Pietrus can play. too. Get them both Mitch.

I really like Diaw as well, but be warrned - he's a duplicate of Odom. He's tall, can handle, pass, drive, defend, rebound... but he's not an aggressive offensive player. Just like Odom, he's more of an "opportunistic" scorer. He looks to blend in, do all the little things and compliment the big guns.

Diaw is a MUCH better defender than Odom, but he's not a "2nd option" player that we're looking for. Like Odom, he's at his best when he's at least a "3rd option."
aiel
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject:

I hope people now realize how great Pippen Played and that it would take two guys to do all the things Scottie could do on the floor. He was never a sidekick to jordan but rather an equal partner who did a lot of the other things beside scoring that helps win championship. Jordan should get on his knees, kiss Pippen's feet and thank him for helping win 6 titles.
seanb
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject:

Why does Kobe need a "Pippen?" I dont understand why we are stuck on this over and over again. Kobe is not Jordan, yes Phil coached them both, it stops there. Why arent we looking for our Luc Longley as well, or is that Mihm and we are closer to the formula! Sounds stupid right, well so does looking for Kobes "Pippen."

When we got Shaq, did everything thing he was the next Jabbar and then say who is going to be Shaq's "Magic?" The point is we create a team that is balanced, plays strong D, has a go to guy down the stretch and several good role players and you WILL be successful in the NBA.

Look at what D. Diop does for Dallas. They have Mr. 70million center Dampier riding pine over what most thought was a 1st round wash. Diop knows his role, plays hard, blocks shots and gets minutes down the stretch. The Lakers are a few pieces away, but when you have Kobe, you are always close.

Do the lakers need a legitimate #2 option, yes, but calling that "Pippen" is just silly to me. Because then people start thiking that player needs to be just like Pippen, point forward, all-NBA defensive player, 20 points a night scorer. I think that muddies the waters a little too much and puts up our blinders to actual players who might be available and could help out.

I do like the Pietrus thought however, tough young player. However I doubt he is available, I think the Warriors see the same thing we do. They wouldnt have benched NBA poster boy Mike Dunleavy for Pietrus if they didnt see the potential.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject:

seanb wrote:
Why does Kobe need a "Pippen?" I dont understand why we are stuck on this over and over again. Kobe is not Jordan, yes Phil coached them both, it stops there. Why arent we looking for our Luc Longley as well, or is that Mihm and we are closer to the formula! Sounds stupid right, well so does looking for Kobes "Pippen."

When we got Shaq, did everything thing he was the next Jabbar and then say who is going to be Shaq's "Magic?" The point is we create a team that is balanced, plays strong D, has a go to guy down the stretch and several good role players and you WILL be successful in the NBA.

Look at what D. Diop does for Dallas. They have Mr. 70million center Dampier riding pine over what most thought was a 1st round wash. Diop knows his role, plays hard, blocks shots and gets minutes down the stretch. The Lakers are a few pieces away, but when you have Kobe, you are always close.

Do the lakers need a legitimate #2 option, yes, but calling that "Pippen" is just silly to me. Because then people start thiking that player needs to be just like Pippen, point forward, all-NBA defensive player, 20 points a night scorer. I think that muddies the waters a little too much and puts up our blinders to actual players who might be available and could help out.

I do like the Pietrus thought however, tough young player. However I doubt he is available, I think the Warriors see the same thing we do. They wouldnt have benched NBA poster boy Mike Dunleavy for Pietrus if they didnt see the potential.

Its about having that guy who when Kobes off offensively another guy can create his own shot.

Also someone you can interchange defensively so KOBe can save himself throughout. PIp allowed MJ to do what he did best. Win. Pietrus and Iggy 2 young guys that have shown the ability to put their noses in there.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject:

Agreed, I love Pietrus' game and the fact he has shown very concrete improvement with his shooting and overall offensive game. Don't know that we'd be able to pull this off with a division rival. Wasn't it rumored that Indiana was asking for him as part of a package for artest and GS wouldn't do it? Mullin is way too enamored of his players with the contracts he handed out to Murph / Dunleavy and his unwillingness to part with his young talent for artest.
Philostrator
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject:

to how Lamar played with Utah, that's a good sign for a sidekick.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: