Team reports via The B. /In case you havent read
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Team reports via The B. /In case you havent read

Editor's note: ESPN.com is waking up early in the morning and aggregating news from papers around the country to bring you the latest NBA talk.

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Atlanta Hawks
Harrington Heading On?
Well, the games have officially begun. Expect the rumors and speculation about Al Harrington's future with the Hawks to heat up considerably in the next week. Harrington, who is struggling with a nasty case of plantar fasciitis in his right foot, had an MRI on his knee and ankle here in LA Monday. He said he's fine and that there is no cause for concern. But already the drama has kicked into high gear. Another NBA writer emailed me to let me know that he heard Harrington has a knee problem and that's why he had it checked out. Not true. -- Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Boston Celtics
Ainge Knows Deal Not Likely
The NBA trade deadline is a week from tomorrow, but Danny Ainge is boarding a flight to Spain today for a five-day scouting trip. He won't be far away from his phone, but the Celtics director of basketball operations doesn't have any grand expectations of a blockbuster deal. "I'm not anticipating anything happen by the trading deadline," Ainge said yesterday. "It's really the same as always. We'll do deals that are good for us. I'm not in any rush to do anything. I'm never in any rush to do anything other than get us better." -- Boston Globe

Charlotte Bobcats
Ely Eyes Deadline Warily
Melvin Ely didn't quite send his employer a Valentine, asking the Charlotte Bobcats to "be mine." But he came close Monday, expressing how happy he is here and how anxious he'll be until the Feb. 23 trade deadline expires. "I'm extremely content here. I get a lot of playing time, I know what the coaches want, I know my role. And as long as I've been here, my role has expanded," Ely said. "As soon as that deadline passes, I can sleep at night." -- Charlotte Observer

Wallace Cleared To Practice
Charlotte Bobcats small forward Gerald Wallace has been medically cleared to fully participate in practice, a strong sign he'll be ready to play after the All-Star break this weekend. Wallace missed the last 13 games with a leg bruise just below his right knee. Wallace said he'd like to play Wednesday against the New Jersey Nets, but won't be surprised if team medical staff holds him out. -- Charlotte Observer

Chicago Bulls
Improved Play At Home Key To Playoff Chances
Tuesday's first home game in more than two weeks was vital to the Bulls' hopes for a playoff spot. They came into the game against the Kings as one of two NBA teams with better records on the road than at home. Starting Tuesday, they have 18 of their remaining 32 games at home. "We know we want to be much better at home, [but] we have young guys and have to look out a little for their psyches," coach Scott Skiles said. "We want them to loosen up and play hard and we feel we did sometimes and the wins did not come. We tend to get big leads and struggle in the end." -- Chicago Tribune

Cleveland Cavaliers
Hughes Remains Missing In Action
And so Larry Hughes is where he often is, consigned to the bench while expressing dismay with the progress of his recovery from an injury. As David Byrne put it years ago, "Same as it ever was. Same as it ever was. Same. As. It. Ever. Was." ... Injuries are his destiny, for whatever reasons, and one day he will discover that having a bloated contract and a penchant for injury are the elements that encourage a team to make a salary dump. -- Washington Times

Graham Impresses, Should Get Another Contract
Rookie Stephen Graham's 10-day contract expires after tonight's game in Boston, but the Cavs will surely re-sign him to another 10-day deal after the All-Star break. With Hughes, Ira Newble and Luke Jackson sidelined with injuries, the Cavs hoped Graham would be a stop gap, but he's been more than that. He's taken full advantage of his minutes, especially in Monday's win over the Spurs. He played 27 minutes and scored eight points and grabbed five rebounds. He not only won over the crowd, but also his coach and LeBron James. James waited for Graham to walk off the court before giving him a congratulatory hug. -- Akron Beacon-Journal

Cavaliers Forced To Face Reality Checks
If the Cavaliers have proved one thing as they prepare to head into the All-Star break, it's that they are a Jekyll and Hyde type team. When Cleveland (30-21) has been good, it's been very, very good. But when it's been bad, it's been very, very bad. So who are the real Cavaliers? Or are these the real Cavaliers? -- Medina Gazette

Detroit Pistons
Big Ups To Billups
Chauncey Billups' legacy as one of the best Pistons ever is no longer a question. Not after leading the Pistons to the NBA title in 2004, when he was named the most valuable player in the Finals. Not after becoming a first-time All-Star and future Olympian. What's more, Pistons fans love him, as do his teammates and the rest of the organization. His peers -- the coaches and opponents -- also respect him as one of the best in his position in the league. -- Detroit Free Press

Agent: Darko Just Wants To Play
Backup center Darko Milicic hasn't demanded a trade, said his New York-based agent, Marc Cornstein. But Cornstein said Tuesday that Milicic wants to be somewhere he will have an opportunity to play. ... "From Darko's individual perspective, it's just a matter of, he wants an opportunity," Cornstein said, "whether that is in Detroit in the future or somewhere else. After 2 1/2 years of playing with the best post players in basketball and under two great coaches, we feel it's time for him to get some experience." -- Detroit Free Press

Billups' All-Star Journey Is Unusual
Billups is only the third player in NBA history to play for at least five different teams before making his first All-Star appearance. Sam Cassell played for six teams before he was chosen in 2004 as a member of the Minnesota Timberwolves. Anthony Mason played for five teams before representing the Miami Heat in 2001. Billups also is the third player to be named Finals MVP before being named an All-Star. Joe Dumars made his first All-Star appearance in 1990, a year after winning the MVP award. Cedric Maxwell was named Finals MVP in 1981 but never made an All-Star team. -- Oakland Press

Indiana Pacers
O'Neal Likes New Offense
Jermaine O'Neal is still weeks from returning to the Indiana Pacers' lineup. That hasn't stopped him from thinking about how he will fit in with the new-look offense once his torn left groin heals. ... "I think this offense will get better when I get back," O'Neal said. "I'm going to talk to coach (Rick Carlisle) at some point. Obviously he's the coach and he's going to make the best decision for the team, but my preference would be to continue to run up and down. My body frame and my style fits more in the up-and-down pace rather than half-court. ... I do understand at some point in the playoffs we're going to have to slow it down a little bit, but this is the perfect situation." -- Indianapolis Star

Miami Heat
Heat Can't Convince Analysts
Critics keep piling on the Heat, with Reggie Miller saying Tuesday he ''wouldn't be surprised'' if Miami is upset in the first round of the playoffs by a team such as Philadelphia or Milwaukee. Miami is ''going to have to come up with a third scorer,'' TNT's Miller said off the air. ''It's Detroit's for the taking. You can't go on the road and lose that bad [in Dallas]. They were lucky to [beat the Pistons on Sunday].'' TNT's Magic Johnson added, off air, that Miami needs ''defense and mental toughness, because Detroit has both'' as well as ''somebody who can bring intensity every night.'' -- Miami Herald

Payton, McAdoo Makes 'Next 10' List
Several years ago the NBA's "50 Greatest Players" of all-time were honored. Now the TNT network is looking for the "Next 10." Heat guard Gary Payton and assistant coach Bob McAdoo are among the 20 finalist. The final 10 will be selected by TNT announcers and unveiled Saturday during All-Star Weekend from Houston. The show is called: The 50 Greatest, TNT's Next 10. -- Palm Beach Post

Heat's Posey One-Dimensional
James Posey was only slightly less productive Tuesday against the Magic than he was in Sunday's victory over Detroit. The difference was Posey sat out Tuesday with the flu. In 24 minutes Sunday against the Pistons, the starting small forward went without a point or assist and had only one rebound. While coach Pat Riley downplayed that performance, he did note the one-dimensional nature of Posey's offense. -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Milwaukee Bucks
Allen Remains A Milwaukee Fan
Ray Allen, who returned to the Bradley Center on Tuesday with the SuperSonics and had 19 points in his team's 106-91 loss to Milwaukee, remains popular with Bucks fans. And the feeling is mutual. "I was probably the last person that expected to be traded," Allen said. "There was probably one person that stood in the way in getting me out of here, and now he's not here anymore." -- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

New Jersey Nets
All-Star Start Flips Vince Out
Vince Carter, who for the first time in his career was not voted a starter by the fans this season, is the likely choice of the All-Star coach, Detroit's Flip Saunders, to replace injured starter Jermaine O'Neal. "I'm leaning toward Vince," Saunders said before his Pistons pounded the Nets. ... "That's a big surprise," Carter said when he heard the news. "I think that's great. I've got to go over there and thank him." -- New York Post

Ratner Allowed To Raze Brooklyn Properties
New Jersey Nets owner Bruce Ratner has the right to demolish five properties within the Brooklyn footprint of his proposed $2.5 billion office, housing and basketball arena project, a New York State Supreme Court judge affirmed Tuesday. However, Judge Carol Edmead sided with Atlantic Yards opponents on a conflict-of-interest issue involving an attorney hired by the New York State agency that is overseeing the project. -- Bergen Record

New York Knicks
Brown-Thomas Conflict Escalates
Isiah Thomas and Larry Brown have been communicating regularly on the state of the team and on potential trades. They speak on the phone virtually every day and they chat amiably at the Knicks' practice facility. Both are also expert at putting a public smile. But word is that Thomas is fed up with Brown's rip jobs of his players and is frustrated that Brown never seems happy with any of them. It is a sentiment shared by many people in the organization. -- Newark Star-Ledger

Gotham Gets Gruesome
The stumbling, bumbling Knicks are almost at rock bottom, mired in their longest losing streak in more than two decades, fighting injuries, their coach, their management and each other and here come the rolling Raptors, hoping to add to their misery. But if there is even a smidgen of self-satisfaction among the Toronto players, even a whiff of gloating at how good they are going and how horribly things are in Gotham, they will not say it in public. -- Toronto Star

Without Marbury, Plight Is Pointless
Despite owning a league-high $120 million payroll, the Knicks never got around to addressing the need for an experienced backup point guard. Isiah Thomas pursued free agent Steve Blake last summer before the Maryland alum signed with Portland. Kenny Anderson was given a tryout but was never offered a contract. Larry Brown wanted Eric Snow, but Cleveland has been reluctant to trade Brown's former point guard in Philadelphia. Meanwhile, the Knicks have lost all 10 games Marbury has missed this season with a sprained left shoulder. -- New York Daily News

Rose Still happy To Be A Knick
Now, Jalen Rose faces his former Toronto team for the first time since the trade tonight at the Garden, but when the old revenge angle was mentioned, Rose said that's hardly a priority in this situation. "It would be sweet for my first victory as a Knick to come against anyone at this point," Rose said. "I'm not nervous at all. I just want to win a game. The trade happened. I had no control over it. I wanted to be here, I'm excited to be here. Now, it's all about winning games. Nothing could happen in that situation to make me look back." -- Newsday

Orlando Magic
Nelson Will Seek Another Opinion
Magic guard Jameer Nelson said he might have 'a little torn cartilage" in his right foot, although trainer Teddy Arzonico said that has yet to be determined. The club originally called it a sprain of the right mid-foot, but Nelson will seek a second opinion during the NBA all-star break. He is scheduled to see Dr. Bob Anderson in Charlotte, N.C. Nelson said his injury -- which has kept him out of the past 13 games -- is "a little worse than we thought." -- Orlando Sentinel

Smith Tries To Console Slumping Francis
Orlando Magic assistant general manager Otis Smith said Tuesday he doesn't anticipate making any trades until after this weekend's NBA All-Star Game -- a message he tried to get across to disgruntled point guard Steve Francis. Francis' name has been swirling in trade rumors for the past two weeks, causing the mercurial point guard to go into another deep funk offensively. "I talked to Steve more about his basketball than his mindset and I'm sure he's uncomfortable right now," Smith said prior to Orlando's game Tuesday. "He likes to be loved and I know that." -- Florida Today

Philadelphia 76ers
Green Practices Again, Hopes To Return
Willie Green thinks he will be ready for game action in three weeks and is eager to provide the 76ers with a spark wherever they need help. But first things first. Green, the third-year guard who worked out with the Sixers during yesterday's practice must get his surgically repaired left knee as close to 100 percent as possible in the coming weeks. And then Sixers president and general manager Billy King has to believe Green is healthy enough to help for the stretch run and sign him to a contract for the rest of the season. -- Philadelphia Inquirer

Toronto Raptors
Bosh: Aldridge Is My Guy
One thing is for sure: If Toronto gets near the top of the draft list, either by winning the lottery or losing a lot of games, we have an idea who Chris Bosh would like them to select. LaMarcus Aldridge. "He's my guy," Bosh told us this week. "I crushed him in high school but he's still my guy." ... According to Bosh, Aldridge is a better shooter than you think and scouts rave about his ability to get up and down the court. -- Toronto Star

Don't Stop Working Charlie
Charlie Villanueva is making solid progress in his six games as a starting small forward, but Sam Mitchell is trying not to let the rookie's head get too big. Mitchell wasn't happy with Villanueva's work ethic in practice earlier this season and he rewarded him with a seat on the bench for his lack of effort. Mitchell certainly doesn't want to see that happen again with Villanueva on the rise. -- Toronto Sun

Washington Wizards
Hayes Undergoes Surgery On Knee
Jarvis Hayes underwent surgery to repair his fractured right patella Tuesday at Washington's Sibley Memorial Hospital. His knee will be reevaluated in six to eight weeks. No timetable has been set for Hayes's return, but it is likely that he will miss the rest of the regular season. "I am obviously disappointed," Hayes said in a statement released by the team. "I was looking forward to getting back on the floor with my teammates, but I've learned that this is the best way to get me back and ready to play." -- Washington Post

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Dallas Mavericks
Mavs Happy With Roster
The trade deadline is in eight days. But the Mavericks, unlike past seasons, have no real reason to even listen to overtures, much less make any. The only trade that will even be seriously considered would have to be an utter no-brainer. "We really like what we're doing," said Dirk Nowitzki. "More than anything, we're working on consistency at the defensive end." -- Dallas Morning News

Mavs' Roster Not In The Red
On one of the walls inside Avery Johnson's office are the rosters of every team in the league. Every player name from each team is on a color-coded magnetic strip. Red signifies center, blue forward and green guard. A quick scan reveals that an awful lot of teams are lacking red magnets. And even fewer have quality names on those magnets. The Mavericks, for lack of a better phrase, aren't in the red when it comes to men in the middle. "That's a good thing," DeSagana Diop said. -- Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Denver Nuggets
Kiki Will Tell Martin If Trade Talk Get Serious
Trade rumors continue to surround Kenyon Martin, most involving New York. ... "We talked about it," Nuggets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe said of talking to Martin about trade reports surrounding him. "I said, 'Look, I played in the New York area that had more trade rumors than any place in the world. I'm used to it.' I said, 'Kenyon, the only thing I'll tell you is, if we get close to something, I'll come tell you. Other than that, don't worry about it. We're not out shopping you, I can tell you that. I think you're a very valuable piece of the puzzle.'" -- Rocky Mountain News

Golden State Warriors
Warriors Standing Pat In Defiance Of Reason
To nobody's surprise, the Warriors allowed their $5.3 million salary-cap exception to expire Tuesday night, because Chris Mullin says he's happy with the team as it is. The trading deadline comes in eight days, and the assumption is that the Warriors will remain silent, because Chris Mullin says he's happy with the team as it is. -- San Francisco Chronicle

Ellis Playing Above Par
Nine high school players were selected in this past June's NBA draft, five of whom were taken before the Warriors drafted Monta Ellis with the 40th overall pick. Swingmen Martell Webster and Gerald Green and center Andrew Bynum dominated the hype of the league's final draft with high school players. Ellis -- averaging 4.3 points in 12.4 minutes -- arguably is having a better season than all of them, which is not surprising to him. "I'm a better player and everybody knew that," said Ellis, who fell to the second round in part because of recent knee surgery. "So, I just had to come out and prove it. And so far, I am." -- Contra Costa Times

Houston Rockets
Lampe's An Unknown Commodity
Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy was not ready to predict how Maciej Lampe might help the Rockets, much less play him in his first hours with the team. "It was done for monetary reasons, first and foremost, then Dennis (Lindsay, the Rockets' vice president/player personnel) and Carroll (Dawson, the team's general manager) think he's not a bad player, either," Van Gundy said. "They say he can shoot. He's only 21. I've never seen him play, so I can't say. But you need bigs who can shoot." -- Houston Chronicle

Los Angeles Clippers
Hey, This Guy Wants In On It
This is how wonderfully weird things are for the Clippers these days. A player who had the opportunity to say no to a trade here said yes. This particular episode of "The Twilight Zone" involves Vladimir Radmanovic. ... Here's the funny part, though. Radmanovic gave up some of his rights under the NBA's complex salary/free-agent rules to come to the big, bad playoff-bound Clippers. No one is pretending that the sharp-shooting forward was about to make huge money in Seattle as a free agent this summer, but hey, it's the principle of the thing. -- Riverside Press-Enterprise

Maggette Clears Another Hurdle
The X-ray taken on forward Corey Maggette's left foot Tuesday was normal, clearing the way for him to begin court activity that includes jumpshots and straight-ahead running drills. The next progression is for Maggette to do side-to-side running and cutting. Maggette has missed the past 33 games after being injured Dec. 5 against Miami. Trainer Jasen Powell said a realistic target date for Maggette's return is early March. -- Orange County Register

Los Angeles Lakers
Odom's Review Mixed
Note to unhappy Laker followers: They're unhappy too. One by one, the veterans have met with Laker Coach Phil Jackson for sessions lasting from 30 to 45 minutes, exchanging ideas, visions and frustrations. ... "I felt that we were underachieving a little bit," Lamar Odom said of his discussions with Jackson. "He feels that like for the second-youngest team in the NBA, we're doing pretty well. I just think we could be doing better all around as a team." -- Los Angeles Times

Rudy T Happy Scouting For Lakers
Rudy Tomjanovich was on his way to Oklahoma City after a night of scouting in Memphis, Tenn. Chatting in the Memphis airport, in a conversation not unlike what undoubtedly had become his routine as he takes his place courtside every night, he was asked how things were after all the turns his life has taken the past three years. "I'm as happy," he said, "as I've ever been." -- Houston Chronicle

Staples Crowd Rattled Brown
Back at practice Tuesday, Phil Jackson said Kwame Brown's night started going south as soon as he sensed the Staples Center crowd turning on him. "It was the fact the crowd booed him," Jackson said. "I think that affected him. Once the crowd got irritated, he stopped wanting to have the ball. You've got to want to have the ball in this game. That's something that we have to go back to again and revisit." -- Los Angeles Daily News

Minnesota Timberwolves
Wolves Hope Banks Is A Fast Study
Marcus Banks has only been here a few weeks since being a part of the trade with Boston, but he's already working overtime -- in early to watch film, one of the last on the court long after practice has ended, taking shots, walking through defensive schemes. Banks is eager, aggressive, quick and fast. He's also still learning, both the NBA game and the Wolves' game plan. The team loves his potential but has had to pay a price as he works toward it. -- Minneapolis Star Tribune

New Orleans Hornets
Major-League Sports Can Attract Other Businesses
Mayor Mick Cornett isn't pushing for the Hornets to be successful in Oklahoma City because he likes to watch a well-executed pick-and-roll. He has made a concerted effort to woo businesses with high-paying jobs, and having an NBA team -- even if it's temporary -- makes the city more attractive to them. "I knew what the impact of a major-league franchise can have on a city if you haven't had one before," Cornett said. "It suddenly puts you on a level of equality -- granted it's a superficial level -- with all of the other teams in the league." -- New Orleans Times-Picayune

GM Bower Keeps Cool On Hot Seat
Jeff Bower has every right to be frantic, having been promoted to general manager just before the start of training camp, having been relocated to Oklahoma City with the rest of the Hornets, and having to deal with the personnel issues of a playoff team. But he isn't. This season, he's become the master of the minor trade, working the phones and working over the Hornets' roster with a basic plan - make the team better. "All the credit is due to Jeff getting the players here without giving up anything," said coach Byron Scott, who has taken the pieces from three trades and turned the Hornets into a 28-23 team. "The job he's done is remarkable." -- The Oklahoman

Phoenix Suns
Bell Continues To Impress
Raja Bell may not have lived up to his own expectations in practice, but the Suns couldn't be happier with his recent play. ... "We don't run a lot of plays for people -- that's just not our MO -- but every time we call his number, he responds," Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said after practice Tuesday. "I think he's extremely confident with his shot, and we're extremely confident for him." -- Arizona Republic

Sacramento Kings
Artest's Intensity Rubbing Off On Kings
The Kings' defense has improved considerably since Ron Artest joined the team. Sacramento held opponents to 42 percent shooting (down 4 percent) and 93.1 points per game (down 7.1) in Artest's first nine games. "He's definitely had an impact on the way we defend because he is a great defender,'' coach Rick Adelman said. "He gives us a guy who can basically shut down people. He also does things you just can't teach. Every situation, he has great instinct and he has great physical ability.'' -- Chicago Sun-Times

San Antonio Spurs
Fewer Shots Hurt Finley's Game
No one in recent years, however, has had to make a more dramatic adjustment than Finley. In his final season in Dallas, he averaged 14.2 shots. Although he's averaged about nine with the Spurs -- a reasonable number for a reserve -- he's had five or fewer attempts in five of the past nine games. "I think he gets a little nervous," Gregg Popovich said. "He's used to getting a set number of shots, so when he doesn't get one in a while he gets a little bit anxious about it and maybe tries to invent one." -- San Antonio Express-News

Seattle SuperSonics
Wilcox Trade A Crafty Move
That is how you make a trade. Trading Vladimir Radmanovic for Chris Wilcox is exactly how a front office should build a basketball team. Does that mean it will work? Does it mean the Sonics are guaranteed to turn it around? Does it mean Wilcox is going to be a bona fide star? Same answer to all those questions: no. That is the reality of the NBA. What makes sense doesn't always lead to success and what doesn't make sense often leads to success. With that said, this is a terrific trade. -- Seattle Post-Intelligencer

Trade Lifts Weight Off Radmanovic
On Tuesday afternoon, Rick Sund dealt Vlaimir Radmanovic to the Los Angeles Clippers in exchange for Chris Wilcox, an athletic forward who should fit in well with the Sonics' up-tempo style. "I think that's what ultimately led to this decision," Bauman said in a telephone interview. "Vladimir felt like this team wasn't going anywhere. Because of that, his time was going to be significantly reduced. We feel like a great weight has been lifted from our shoulders." -- Tacoma News Tribune

Trade Wouldn't Surprise Lewis
Rashard Lewis said he wouldn't be surprised if he or Ray Allen were eventually traded. "You never know, anything can happen from here on out," he said. "It could be any of us in this locker room, even me or Ray with the way the season is turning out. I've seen it happen to Gary (Payton) and Desmond (Mason), so you never get settled. You can't think you are going to be on one team." -- Seattle Post-Intelligencer

Time For Schultz To Put Cards On The Table
Howard Schultz, the principal owner of the Sonics and chairman of Starbucks Corp., is out of the country, so I sent him an email Tuesday. Haven't heard back yet. But I hope to. Because Schultz said he wants to have a discussion. So do I. After all, I'd like to see the Sonics stay in Seattle. And so I need to find out what's required of me to keep them competitive. More sit-ups? Push-ups? Hold-ups for draft beer? -- Seattle Post-Intelligencer

Plenty Of Key Players In Sonics Drama
What is the more dangerous sport, shooting birds with Vice President Dick Cheney or getting in the middle of high-stakes games playing over the Sonics' future at the Seattle Center? With Cheney, at least, the danger of being shot comes from just one direction. In the case of KeyArena, crossfire is coming from loose cannons -- at a time when all players need to stop the trash talk, consider their economic self-interests and prepare to deal. -- Seattle Post-Intelligencer

Utah Jazz
Jazz Won't Concede Playoff Spot
Eighth place was at stake Monday night in Los Angeles, the difference between being a playoff team and an also-ran. It was a big game, a critical showdown with huge postseason implications. And Utah lost. "So I guess we're eliminated, right?" Matt Harpring said sarcastically after the Jazz's 94-88 loss to the Lakers. "We're out and the Lakers are in? I guess we're done." OK, he has a point. The Jazz have 30 games still to play, more than two months of opportunities to make up the game and a half that separates them from the Lakers, or the 3 1/2 -game lead that the sixth-place Grizzlies and Hornets hold. -- Salt Lake Tribune
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Team reports via The B. /In case you havent read

Back at practice Tuesday, Phil Jackson said Kwame Brown's night started going south as soon as he sensed the Staples Center crowd turning on him. "It was the fact the crowd booed him," Jackson said. "I think that affected him. Once the crowd got irritated, he stopped wanting to have the ball. You've got to want to have the ball in this game. That's something that we have to go back to again and revisit." -- Los Angeles Daily News

IF HE GETS RATTLED OVER THIS.....THIS BOTHERS ME!! YOU HAVE TO USE THAT AS A MOTIVATOR, NOT SHY AWAY FROM THE GAME!!! COME ON KWAME!! I'M ONE OF HIS BIGGEST SUPPORTERS BUT CHRIST!!! GET A THICKER SKIN AND GET TOUGHER MAN!!!!
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Team reports via The B. /In case you havent read

LakerEric wrote:

IF HE GETS RATTLED OVER THIS.....THIS BOTHERS ME!! YOU HAVE TO USE THAT AS A MOTIVATOR, NOT SHY AWAY FROM THE GAME!!! COME ON KWAME!! I'M ONE OF HIS BIGGEST SUPPORTERS BUT CHRIST!!! GET A THICKER SKIN AND GET TOUGHER MAN!!!!

We have 2 starters who have shown the weak mindedness we DONT need. LO from sac. debacle and Kwame. Great.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject:

I made a thread on that.

Booing him is only going to make things worse for him.

Phil must make him a complete off the ball player. Also not start him right away and raising the expectations.

Good to see Lamar sees that the team is underachieving. Stu said that the Lakers if they were a better close out team could be 32-18. That's true and Lamar must become a better closer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Critics keep piling on the Heat, with Reggie Miller saying Tuesday he ''wouldn't be surprised'' if Miami is upset in the first round of the playoffs by a team such as Philadelphia or Milwaukee. Miami is ''going to have to come up with a third scorer,'' TNT's Miller said off the air. ''It's Detroit's for the taking. You can't go on the road and lose that bad [in Dallas]. They were lucky to [beat the Pistons on Sunday].'' TNT's Magic Johnson added, off air, that Miami needs ''defense and mental toughness, because Detroit has both'' as well as ''somebody who can bring intensity every night.'' -- Miami Herald

They need a third scorer, we have the best third scorer in the game. We need a PG and a PF who can hit open jumpers.... Lamar Odom for Jason Williams and Udanes Haslem anyone?
Luke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Quote:

They need a third scorer, we have the best third scorer in the game. We need a PG and a PF who can hit open jumpers.... Lamar Odom for Jason Williams and Udanes Haslem anyone?

Are you a Heat fan ????
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Quote:

Haven't we helped the Heat enough? Give them Odom back? So in essence, we trade Shaq for Haslem and Williams?? I think Riley would love that one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
datniggbstyle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Quote:

Damn hommie, come here real quick so i can stomp you into the ground. What kind of suggestion is that. Its awful. Think about what you just wrote. Just stop and think. Damn. Keep up the good job Mitch, im scared to see what other people might do with this roster.
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Critics keep piling on the Heat, with Reggie Miller saying Tuesday he ''wouldn't be surprised'' if Miami is upset in the first round of the playoffs by a team such as Philadelphia or Milwaukee.

I can't wait!
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Critics keep piling on the Heat, with Reggie Miller saying Tuesday he ''wouldn't be surprised'' if Miami is upset in the first round of the playoffs by a team such as Philadelphia or Milwaukee.

I can't wait!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

Odom with Shaq and Wade?

Why don't you just admit that you're a Heat fan?

Holy crap. That is the worst trade I have read in a long, long time.

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

encina1 wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Quote:

Haven't we helped the Heat enough? Give them Odom back? So in essence, we trade Shaq for Haslem and Williams?? I think Riley would love that one.

No I am not a Heat fan. I am not a big Lamar Odom fan at this point however. Who cares what the trade would break down to, i.e. Shaq for Haslem and Williams? Which by the way is not that much worse than what the actual trade was! Anyway, Williams is a legit PG who can shoot the three and throw lobs from full court. Phil could mold him in the tri. And Haslem is a solid PF. He makes wide open shots and he would get plenty of those in L.A. Plus he grabs boards too.
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Odom with Shaq and Wade?

Agreed 110%!
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Quote:

WHAT A CRAP SUGGESTION!!!!
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I made a thread on that.

Booing him is only going to make things worse for him.

Phil must make him a complete off the ball player. Also not start him right away and raising the expectations.

Good to see Lamar sees that the team is underachieving. Stu said that the Lakers if they were a better close out team could be 32-18. That's true and Lamar must become a better closer.

I definitely agree with that! I really like Kwame, I just hope that the team can support him properly....I've seen Kobe embrace him when he does good...so I'm sure that the team is helping him
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I definitely agree with that! I really like Kwame, I just hope that the team can support him properly....I've seen Kobe embrace him when he does good...so I'm sure that the team is helping him

I'm not a Kwame fan, but I know that what the Lakers are pushing for right now is wrong. He is destined to fail the way things are going.

The best advice I would give is just have Kwame adopt the mentality that Rodman had. No more than 2 shots per game. And he must come off the bench for a season so he can slowly develop. Starting him is putting too much expectations on him right now.
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject:

^^CRak

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject:

orwell wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Odom with Shaq and Wade?

Agreed 110%!

Putting Odom with Kobe Bryant (the best player in the league) seems like a formitable duo on paper too. But look where we are. Like someone said in another post concerning the Pistons, the Lakers are not in contention right now and therefore adding to an already championship calliber team does not effect what the Lakers do. Especially if they only play them twice a year. Do you think that Haslem and Williams are terrible?
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

I'm not a Kwame fan, but I know that what the Lakers are pushing for right now is wrong. He is destined to fail the way things are going.

The best advice I would give is just have Kwame adopt the mentality that Rodman had. No more than 2 shots per game. And he must come off the bench for a season so he can slowly develop. Starting him is putting too much expectations on him right now.

THAT AND HE NEEDS TO PLAY ANGRY.....LIKE RASHEED WALLACE ANGRY!!!
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject:

^^ Odom is a very good/great piece to the puzzle IMO. We are rebuilding, not reloading.

It would have been nice to have Artest with Odom and Kobe, but without both, it's useless.

That's why we need that piece to go along with it. The Lakers expected the Kwame Brown we saw against Houston to be that piece, but have to find out that the Kwame Brown against Utah is more likely. If he is the former, we are getting close to what we want once the team gains experience and maturity (2nd youngest team in the league). With him being the latter, we are far away. Luckily, we did not trade Mihm away or we would be crushed right now.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject:

LakerEric wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

Kwame could play in any emotional state and he would still be a 6 point/ 6 rebound guy. Rasheed Wallace may play angry, or at least appear that way, but he is also one of the best players in the league. Kwame Brown is probably one of the 50 worst players in the league.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
orwell wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Odom with Shaq and Wade?

Agreed 110%!

Putting Odom with Kobe Bryant (the best player in the league) seems like a formitable duo on paper too. But look where we are. Like someone said in another post concerning the Pistons, the Lakers are not in contention right now and therefore adding to an already championship calliber team does not effect what the Lakers do. Especially if they only play them twice a year. Do you think that Haslem and Williams are terrible?

Man, you are SO wrong it’s not funny. If you put Odom with Miami, not only does he move to 3rd scoring option, which is a perfect compliment to his game, but he still continues to kill people on mismatches, rebound at a superb level, and set everyone else up. Plus, you’re pairing him up with 2 dominant players, and that’s just stupid help for a team we have no desire to help. And for what? Mediocre players? Come on now.

The only reason there’s strain for Lamar as a Laker is because we have no legit 2nd scoring option, so fans are staring at Odom to become something he’s not. Add a 2nd scorer, and this team would hum along much MUCH better. Being a scorer has never been Lamar’s game and it isn’t his fault management hasn’t yet filled what is a glaring hole.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
LakerEric wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

Kwame could play in any emotional state and he would still be a 6 point/ 6 rebound guy. Rasheed Wallace may play angry, or at least appear that way, but he is also one of the best players in the league. Kwame Brown is probably one of the 50 worst players in the league.

Spoken like a true fan who cares nothing for defense and only respects offense. You’d probably trade Chris Mihm for Antoine Walker, if you could, just because he can score more. Seriously, first you suggest we trade Odom for no-defense Williams and too small for the West Haslem. Now, you say Kwame is one of the 50 worst players, despite the fact that he’s a superb post defender. Kwame isn’t a star and certainly unworthy of having been a #1 pick, but the defense he brings is important for this team.

As for your argument that he’ll never be more than a 6pt. 6 rbd player, I beg to differ. He averaged a solid double-double the 2nd half of his first season under Eddie Jordan in Washington. He then broke his foot in the off-season, was unable to play when the following season began, watched on the IR as Washington started off hot without him, and never was really brought back into the rotation because they were already playing so well sans him. After that, things got ugly and we know the rest.

Based upon those facts, there’s absolutely reason for hope as to Kwame. Regardless, we NEED his post-defense and trying to trade our players for guys who can’t defend or are too small to defend, is not going to build us a champion. DEFENSE wins championships and without it, no team is getting past the Spurs or the Pistons. Add some scoring by trading expirings Ks and Kwame’s defense will be invaluable against the Duncans of the world come post-season play.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject:

The fact that Kwame got booed pissed me off. I understand he's sucking but booing him won't help. Brown is as sensitive as a pregnant woman on steriods. I'm not saying he should be babied but the fans really shouldn't have done that. He was 0-5, 2 misses came from blocked shots via Krilenko (who didn't get swatted by this guy?), 2 misses came from blown layups (ridiculous he SHOULD have made those), and the last miss came from a shot that went in and rolled out. I believe he had 2TO's, when from a Lamar pass which he should have slammed home the other from Smush he also should have slammed. He played like crap but I like many here want him to succeed. He should be encouraged on his home court.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject:

The fact that Kwame got booed pissed me off. I understand he's sucking but booing him won't help. Brown is as sensitive as a pregnant woman on steriods. I'm not saying he should be babied but the fans really shouldn't have done that. He was 0-5, 2 misses came from blocked shots via Krilenko (who didn't get swatted by this guy?), 2 misses came from blown layups (ridiculous he SHOULD have made those), and the last miss came from a shot that went in and rolled out. I believe he had 2TO's, when from a Lamar pass which he should have slammed home the other from Smush he also should have slammed. He played like crap but I like many here want him to succeed. He should be encouraged on his home court.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: