Don't BOO Kwame
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vvbandit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Don't BOO Kwame

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_3509577

I know he sucks and plays like crap most of the time, but there is nothing to be gained from booing this guy. He just cant take it mentally and he might get even worse than he is now. IMO he is too mentally weak to ever become a very solid player, but maybe in two years he can become a semi decent player.
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject:

I agree but he needs a thicker skin....I said this in Bounty's thread too
40ptmachine
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject:

a semi decent player is too much to ask for this stiff
Savory Griddles
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject:

Dude needs to wash the sand out of his vagina.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject:

Oh my...what a pus...!!! 8 million for this?

Kwame should listen to Kobe...boos don't block shots.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
cmonkee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject:

"they're not saying 'boo.....' they're saying 'boo-urns! boo-urns!'"
Savory Griddles
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject:

cmonkee wrote:

LOL. Classic. Spielbergo
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject:

Savory Griddles wrote:
Dude needs to wash the sand out of his vagina.

Hilarious!
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Don't BOO Kwame

vvbandit wrote:

I know he sucks and plays like crap most of the time, but there is nothing to be gained from booing this guy. He just cant take it mentally and he might get even worse than he is now. IMO he is too mentally weak to ever become a very solid player, but maybe in two years he can become a semi decent player.

Well I don't think there is anyway to stop the crowd from getting on him. People have a certain standard for the Lakers and he's just not up there.
Right or wrong, that's just how it is going to be. I mean they did this in Washington and L.A. has higher expectations than the Wiz. This was to be expected if he didn't perform.

But the problem is that Kwame needs to wake up one day and just tell himself that he's going to take responsibility for his game. Yeah, we know he had a rough childhood. And a bad time in Washington. OK. But at some point, either you're going to choose to be the victim for the rest of your life or do something about it.

He's been making some strides on defense and rebounding and doing what Phil wants without the ball. But he's not Bill Russell or Rodman or Ben Wallace. Unless he can bring that defense and rebounding to that level, then what everyone is going to focus on are those rock hands of his.

Fans generally want bigs that can dunk and score in the paint. No a big surprise really. So the ball is in Kwame's court. He can start working with Kareem dilligently, work with the rest of the coaching staff on his hands and other fundamentals, and make up his mind to use that body to punish his opponents. In other words, live up to a fraction of the hype he had coming into the league. Or, he can continue to be the victim. And the crowds will continue to boo him and the coaching staff will ride him and his teammates will freeze him out. I mean its pretty simple really--when the team is not on the road the only thing Kwame ought to be doing everyday is going down to El Segundo first thing the in morning and training, training, training. Hand drills 8 hours a day.

At the very least, finally dedicating himself to the game would get the crowd off him for a while, even if the results are less than spectacular. If the media starts reporting that Kwame is at the gym 6 am working with coaches everyday, that he gets to pre-game shootarounds before Kobe to work with the coaches, that he's accepting Kareem's help--then people will know he's at least trying. We haven't heard much on the "trying" front since he's been in town. He shows up to practice and hasn't caused any lockeroom problems. But he's doing the bare minimum to be a decent employee.

So, sure, it sucks and all, but he's getting $8 million a year. Time to sack up and put in the work.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject:

cmonkee wrote:

Much funnier if you changed the quote and said "boo-rown! boo-rown!" instead.

Anyway, based on the reactions in the thread, I figured the article had a quote from Kwame that said the crowd affected him. Turns out that wasn't the case and it was just Phil speculating. Though I tend to agree with Phil's assessment (and I said so to my wife during the game when it started happening) it wasn't Kwame complaining about boos, so I'm not gonna get on his case about needing thicker skin. I thought some of the booing was unwarranted. For instance, I really noticed it more during one sequence where the ball was knocked away by a defender after Smush drove to the hoop and had a layup but inexplicably tried to dish to Kwame instead. I was hopeful that the boos were for Smush for passing up a simple high-percentage shot in order to try to create a circus play.

I really am sort of in love with the idea of Kwame as shot blocker, big man defender, rebounder and put-back dunk artist rather than an offensive threat. That's why his mediocre handles don't bother me that much. It's something that he needs to work on certainly, but I don't constantly cry about his "small hands" like so many others do.
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject:

This situation with Kwame kind of reminds of that movie "Dodgeball" where that coach Patches tells Gordon (the fat dude with glasses).....you suck something awful but the only thing you can do now.........IS TO GET ANGRY!! LOL.....THEN THE DUDE WENT OUT THERE AND WIPED EVERYONE'S AZZ!!!

KWAME............GET ANGRY!!!!!
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject:

Im depressed.
LO has been in a funk since the Sac game
Kwame gets in a funk when booed

Panthas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject:

bounty wrote:
Im depressed.
LO has been in a funk since the Sac game
Kwame gets in a funk when booed

Letrs get them some weed that will lighten their mood
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject:

cmonkee wrote:

I was saying "Boo-urns."
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Don't BOO Kwame

RG73 wrote:
vvbandit wrote:

Well I don't think there is anyway to stop the crowd from getting on him. People have a certain standard for the Lakers and he's just not up there.
Right or wrong, that's just how it is going to be. I mean they did this in Washington and L.A. has higher expectations than the Wiz. This was to be expected if he didn't perform.

But the problem is that Kwame needs to wake up one day and just tell himself that he's going to take responsibility for his game. Yeah, we know he had a rough childhood. And a bad time in Washington. OK. But at some point, either you're going to choose to be the victim for the rest of your life or do something about it.

He's been making some strides on defense and rebounding and doing what Phil wants without the ball. But he's not Bill Russell or Rodman or Ben Wallace. Unless he can bring that defense and rebounding to that level, then what everyone is going to focus on are those rock hands of his.

Fans generally want bigs that can dunk and score in the paint. No a big surprise really. So the ball is in Kwame's court. He can start working with Kareem dilligently, work with the rest of the coaching staff on his hands and other fundamentals, and make up his mind to use that body to punish his opponents. In other words, live up to a fraction of the hype he had coming into the league. Or, he can continue to be the victim. And the crowds will continue to boo him and the coaching staff will ride him and his teammates will freeze him out. I mean its pretty simple really--when the team is not on the road the only thing Kwame ought to be doing everyday is going down to El Segundo first thing the in morning and training, training, training. Hand drills 8 hours a day.

At the very least, finally dedicating himself to the game would get the crowd off him for a while, even if the results are less than spectacular. If the media starts reporting that Kwame is at the gym 6 am working with coaches everyday, that he gets to pre-game shootarounds before Kobe to work with the coaches, that he's accepting Kareem's help--then people will know he's at least trying. We haven't heard much on the "trying" front since he's been in town. He shows up to practice and hasn't caused any lockeroom problems. But he's doing the bare minimum to be a decent employee.

So, sure, it sucks and all, but he's getting $8 million a year. Time to sack up and put in the work.

Very well put, RG.

I think that one of the issues that's flying underneath the radar with regards to the team picking up the third year on his contract, is that there is very little financial motive for Kwame to bust his rump in the off-season to improve his game.

Hearing the boos in Washington sure didn't motivate him.

Why should they here in Los Angeles?

Unleass he's traded, the Lakers will have to hope that he dedicates himself to his craft purely to become a better player.
Fansince88
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject:

Kwame seems like another Elden Campbell, maybe worst. So disappointing!
At the start of season, I was hoping for 10/10 out of him. Now, I only pray he contributes by playing good D and get like 8 rebounds. Kwame shouldn't take the crowd's reaction personal, he should take the competition more personal.
thumpinghead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject:

no need for boos

hes had some good games lately

booing wont help
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Don't BOO Kwame

And 1 wrote:
, the Lakers will have to hope that he dedicates himself to his craft purely to become a better player.

How weak is it that we have starterS on this team that are so.....well............. weak.

On the radio this morning they were talking about how players are who they are after the 2nd year. Not skill wise but mentality. If you are lazy after 2 yrs. You are probably a lazy player etc.
vvbandit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Don't BOO Kwame

bounty wrote:
And 1 wrote:
, the Lakers will have to hope that he dedicates himself to his craft purely to become a better player.

How weak is it that we have starterS on this team that are so.....well............. weak.

On the radio this morning they were talking about how players are who they are after the 2nd year. Not skill wise but mentality. If you are lazy after 2 yrs. You are probably a lazy player etc.

Its really weak that we have players like this, but then you have to look at the guy who got us this weak player. Its not like he didnt play like this in Washington the majority of the time. All the complaints we are having are the same ones washington fans were screaming about. Oh well, its a form of rebuilding, and in reality this isnt that bad of a rebuilding. Last year was just horrible but how many times does a coach just quit on his team like that, and the injuries didnt help. Were competing for a playoff spot and hopefully in a couple years we can be competitive on a championship level. The worst part of this whole rebuilding is that we are wasting one of the games greatest players primes. No matter how great, he needs help and its somewhat of a shame that a better team couldnt be built. At least one guard who can consistently make OPEN shots, and a few triangle type players wouldve been helpful.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject:

Kwame get pissed! Get angry! Bust some heads!

This guy can be incredibly intimidating for opposing teams if he learned to channel that frustration.
He has to understand the power of the DARKSIDE!
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject:

we aren't booing.

we are MEEEEOOOOOOWWWWWing.
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject:

Sage_10 wrote:

This guy can be incredibly intimidating for opposing teams if he learned to channel that frustration.

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!
Savory Griddles
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject:

Sage_10 wrote:

Kwame sleeps with a nightlight. He would never enter anything dark on his own accord.
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject:

da ocho wrote:
we aren't booing.

we are MEEEEOOOOOOWWWWWing.

Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject:

If he decides to give back the money he earns when he plays like crap, then I'll stop booing.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: