Wine enthusiasts & aficionados tune in
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Wine enthusiasts & aficionados tune in

I prefer wine to alcohol. I'm not versed on fine wines. I'm familiar with Beringer. This article leads me to what seems to be good choices. Are the choices good?

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject:

Impossible to say, since individual preferences dominate. I've had many of the wines on that list, and think some are reasonable, while others I wouldn't want to drink. Their stated goal is to come up with a list of reasonably-priced wines that are consistent, and I think they've done that.

I'd suggest using that list to help refine your tastes -- Which ones did you like? What was it about them that appealed to you? -- and then use the knowledge gained as a springboard for investigating similar wines to the ones you like.

Don't feel like you have to buy "fine" (i.e., expensive) wines to enjoy tasting. I always say it's easy to find a good $100 bottle of wine, and harder to find a good $10 bottle of wine, but they're out there. My current favorite "bargain" wine is a Cotes due Rhone called Parallele 45 that you can find for 11 or 12 bucks.

Also don't be afraid to go to your local wine merchant and ask them for advice. That's what they're there for.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject:

Wine contains alcohol?

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
Impossible to say, since individual preferences dominate. I've had many of the wines on that list, and think some are reasonable, while others I wouldn't want to drink. Their stated goal is to come up with a list of reasonably-priced wines that are consistent, and I think they've done that.

I'd suggest using that list to help refine your tastes -- Which ones did you like? What was it about them that appealed to you? -- and then use the knowledge gained as a springboard for investigating similar wines to the ones you like.

Don't feel like you have to buy "fine" (i.e., expensive) wines to enjoy tasting. I always say it's easy to find a good $100 bottle of wine, and harder to find a good $10 bottle of wine, but they're out there. My current favorite "bargain" wine is a Cotes due Rhone called Parallele 45 that you can find for 11 or 12 bucks.

Also don't be afraid to go to your local wine merchant and ask them for advice. That's what they're there for.

Great advice. Hone in on what wines do it for you and then go collect them. Finding those great bargains (and there are bargains at many price points relative to other wines at that price or higher) is one of the great pleasures of wine, as is finding something new to like.

I'm a sucker for Italian reds, and my favorite bottle of wine short of something ridiculously expensive is a thirty dollar bottle of Zenato Ripasso. It is big and smooth and complex and lusty and I'd put it up against bottles costing three times as much and more. For me anyway, and that's the key thing. Drink for you. If you love it, you are correct.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject:

How important are sediments, cork color and aroma? I see people shaking, examining corks and sniffing, I think some are fronting. I believe some do it because it's supposed to show wine knowledge. Probably don't know what the hell they're doing.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject:

Actually like Trader Joe's 3 buck chuck
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

Beringer White Zinfandel

LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject:

Sediments -- almost zero, especially for what you'll be drinking.

Cork color -- nothing. If a bottle has gone bad you might be able to pick up a clue by sniffing it, but that comes through when you taste it anyway. The value is sniffing a cork or otherwise inspecting it is mostly ritual, not practical. That said, I'll squeeze a cork on an older bottle to see if it's still pliable, or if it's crumbly. Crumbly likely means it was stored upright rather than on its side, and a cork needs the moisture to maintain a good seal. But this really matters just for older wines -- younger ones don't have time to dry out like that, and most less expensive wines are bottled with synthetic corks or no corks at all anyway.

Aroma means a lot, because most of what we think of as taste is actually smell. But most of the ritual of sticking your nose in a glass and soaking up the aroma before tasting to pick up subtle hints of gooseberry and overtones of terroir is just that -- ritual. There's a sweet spot at which enjoying a wine's "nose" contributes to the experience, without falling for the extra BS that's part of the ritual.

Keep in mind that studies have been conducted, for example, where they assemble some wine experts and conduct blind tastings, with the experts writing down their notes of the tasting experience. Some of them are white wines made to look like red wines by using food coloring --- which the experts dutifully described using red wine terms. Other experiments put expensive labels on cheap bottles, etc. Expectations hugely influence experience.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
governator wrote:

Beringer White Zinfandel

There's actually a good drink you can make with both of those. Mix them together about fifty fifty in a pitcher, then pour it down the drain.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject:

BTW, if you're looking for a really good value for the price, I've always been partial to Borsao, which is a Spanish table wine made from grenache. At the time I discovered it it was literally selling for $1.99, making it a "Two Buck Chuck" I actually wanted to drink, and which I bought by the case whenever I was at the store that sold it. It's currently going for around $8, and still a great value. Here's one link:

https://www.wine.com/product/borsao-tinto-2015/161082
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:

Quote:

Thanks Larry. I'm shelving hard liquor. I'm a Hennessy man. Is there a method for choosing or not ice? I like room temp wines.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

Quote:

Thanks Larry. I shelving hard liquor. I'm a Hennessy man. Is there a method for choosing or not ice? I like room temp wines.

Good rule of thumb is if you're drinking ice in your wine, you're doing it wrong.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

Quote:

Thanks Larry. I shelving hard liquor. I'm a Hennessy man. Is there a method for choosing or not ice? I like room temp wines.

Good rule of thumb is if you're drinking ice in your wine, you're doing it wrong.

Kinda figured that. I drink wine for taste. Zinfandel is a inexpensive wine that has a sweet zing taste.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

Quote:

Kinda figured that. I drink wine for taste. Zinfandel is a inexpensive wine that has a sweet zing taste.

Zinfandel is actually a very nice red. White Zinfandel, however, is wine for people who don't drink wine.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:

The author agrees with you (#25 of his list).

Jodeke- I found the process of learning about wine somewhat overwhelming. In need of a starting point, I focused on California wines, and have enjoyed visiting wineries up and down the state. I now have quite a few favorites that are reasonably priced and readily available at restaurants and markets. From that base, it became easier to branch out and explore different varietals and regions as well as pairings with food.

And like Larry said, speak up and ask questions. I have found that merchants and growers are passionate about their craft and absolutely love to share what they have learned while directing you to the next wine that you might enjoy.

Cheers!
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

Quote:

Zinfandel is actually a very nice red. White Zinfandel, however, is wine for people who don't drink wine.

OK. I'll try the red. I'm just getting into wines. Lot to learn. I've hear wine is good for the blood. If that's true which do you suggest. My aunt use to drink Mogen David, I forget which taste. Said it was for her blood.

LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:

Missed that! The photo they used is different.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject:

not a big wine drinker and cant stand very dry wines. I can sip on a hard spirit on the rocks much more easily than a dry wine or hoppy beer.
However I enjoy the super easy to drink ones like moscotto and can drink the original Stella Rosa wine like kool aid. Went on a quest a few years ago to discover more wines that taste like Stella Rosa but havent found one that had it beat.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:

Missed that! The photo they used is different.

Yes, but does it pair well with tapas?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

Quote:

OK. I'll try the red. I'm just getting into wines. Lot to learn. I've hear wine is good for the blood. If that's true which do you suggest. My aunt use to drink Mogen David, I forget which taste. Said it was for her blood.

I'm messing with you a bit. It's OK to like white Zin's, and expand from there. There's no "right" taste except your own, even if people like me give you (bleep) for it.

As for good for the heart, there's a lot of ambiguity about it, but generally it is considered the property of the skins, so drink reds in moderation. Wine snobs often hate them, but a merlot might be a good choice for you to start on and see if you have a taste for the less sweet wines.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Good one out of Paso Robles, Sofa King Bueno. Try saying that real fast.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject:

I going to order from the list. Storing is next priority. I'm going to order this. Product TitleBCP Elegant 32 Bottle Wine Rack W/ Glass Table Top Black Storage Liquor Cabinet
Average rating:4out of5stars, based on1reviews(1)ratings
Price
$54.94
List $139.99Save$85.05 Inexpensive start to what may become a hobby. After opening a bottle should I refrigerate or store backward in cabinet?

Site is loading slow. Might be time for a server reset.

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject:

I don’t know all of those labels, but the ones I know are all good calls. I rarely spend more than $15 for a bottle of wine. Just like cigars, the correlation between price and quality is erratic. Also like cigars, you can get some really bad advice from people who are more impressed with labels than the contents. Beware of wine snobs. Some of them know their stuff, but many of them are more interested in appearing sophisticated.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Another storing idea LINK All ideas welcome.

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I going to order from the list. Storing is next priority. I'm going to order this. Product TitleBCP Elegant 32 Bottle Wine Rack W/ Glass Table Top Black Storage Liquor Cabinet
Average rating:4out of5stars, based on1reviews(1)ratings
Price
$54.94
List $139.99Save$85.05 Inexpensive start to what may become a hobby. After opening a bottle should I refrigerate or store backward in cabinet?

Site is loading slow. Might be time for a server reset.

Once you pop the cork, don’t plan to store the wine for long. The problem is oxidation. Refrigeration is the most practical option, but there are fancier options (like inert gas) if you are so inclined. Do not try to store an opened bottle at room temperature, unless you like vinegar. But really, just drink it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: