Wine enthusiasts & aficionados tune in
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I going to order from the list. Storing is next priority. I'm going to order this. Product TitleBCP Elegant 32 Bottle Wine Rack W/ Glass Table Top Black Storage Liquor Cabinet
Average rating:4out of5stars, based on1reviews(1)ratings
Price
$54.94
List $139.99Save$85.05 Inexpensive start to what may become a hobby. After opening a bottle should I refrigerate or store backward in cabinet?

Site is loading slow. Might be time for a server reset.

Once you pop the cork, don’t plan to store the wine for long. The problem is oxidation. Refrigeration is the most practical option, but there are fancier options (like inert gas) if you are so inclined. Do not try to store an opened bottle at room temperature, unless you like vinegar. But really, just drink it.

I don't plan to spend much. I'm exploring. So for storing do you recommend LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I going to order from the list. Storing is next priority. I'm going to order this. Product TitleBCP Elegant 32 Bottle Wine Rack W/ Glass Table Top Black Storage Liquor Cabinet
Price
$54.94
List $139.99Save$85.05 Inexpensive start to what may become a hobby. After opening a bottle should I refrigerate or store backward in cabinet?

Once you pop the cork, don’t plan to store the wine for long. The problem is oxidation. Refrigeration is the most practical option, but there are fancier options (like inert gas) if you are so inclined. Do not try to store an opened bottle at room temperature, unless you like vinegar. But really, just drink it.

You don't really need to go there unless you like a wine at an exact temperature. Most reds are fine storing in a cool dry place.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject:

I don’t know of any reason to store wine chilled. I have never stored wine for an extended period, but my friends who do so just use wooden racks. I’ve heard that the ideal temperature is about 60 or so, but that seems like overkill unless you plan to invest in expensive wines.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I don’t know of any reason to store wine chilled. I have never stored wine for an extended period, but my friends who do so just use wooden racks. I’ve heard that the ideal temperature is about 60 or so, but that seems like overkill unless you plan to invest in expensive wines.

If you're storing long term, a basement cellar that's in the fifties is nice.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Price
$54.94

You don't really need to go there unless you like a wine at an exact temperature. Most reds are fine storing in a cool dry place.

I don't drink a lot. If I open a bottle it will most likely take a week or more for me to finish it. I'm more interested in keeping the wine fresh as possible, as long as possible without losing the essence.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Omar Little

I only have a few expensive bottles in cool storage. Most wine I buy a few bottles at a time for consumption, and just put in the kitchen rack
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I don't drink a lot. If I open a bottle it will most likely take a week or more for me to finish it. I'm more interested in keeping the wine fresh as possible, as long as possible without losing the essence.

Gotcha. The storage options you are looking at are long term storage for unopened bottles. What you need is something like this. You can find it at most good liquor stores. I’ve used this sort of system, and it works okay. Not great, just okay.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Gotcha. The storage options you are looking at are long term storage for unopened bottles. What you need is something like this. You can find it at most good liquor stores. I’ve used this sort of system, and it works okay. Not great, just okay.

I'm looking to open more than one flavor, e.g. a chardonnay, merlot, rosé. If I open 3 flavors it may take 2 weeks to empty the bottles. I'm tasting to find my nitch.

LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
OK. I'll try the red. I'm just getting into wines. Lot to learn. I've hear wine is good for the blood. If that's true which do you suggest. My aunt use to drink Mogen David, I forget which taste. Said it was for her blood.

One of the bad things about a cab, for example, is that it's a high-demand, low-yield grape, so the law of supply & demand dictates a high price. There are several varietals -- zin being one -- where that problem doesn't exist. There's a lot of zin I really like -- Turley, Ridge and Renwood make some of them. Other varietals I've mentioned already -- grenache & syrah are a couple. I'm a particular fan of pinot noir, but they tend to be on the pricier side (they're picky about the climate they're grown in).

There's some evidence of health benefits from wine drinking, but as with absolutely everything else, it's a mixed bag, and there are a lot of confounding variables. A general rule of thumb is that any food/drink claim that claims specific benefits for any single part of your body is BS. Antioxidants and superfoods are two of the latest making the rounds.

Last edited by LarryCoon on Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I'm looking to open more than one flavor, e.g. a chardonnay, merlot, rosé. If I open 3 flavors it may take 2 weeks to empty the bottles. I'm tasting to find my nitch.

I hope you meant niche. You don’t want to know what nitch means.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I hope you meant niche. You don’t want to know what nitch means.

I do. I'm going to have to do more spell checking. Does nitch have a meaning?

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject:

FWIW, some of the best bang for the buck wines are blends.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Another storing idea LINK All ideas welcome.

I'd say no to waste the money on a wine fridge right now. I have one myself (a Vinotemp), but I have several wines that I'm laying down for a long time. You're not going to be drinking any wines you'll want to cellar. For wines you're going to be drinking right away, there's little point -- they don't get cold enough for a white (and your fridge does a great job with that anyway), and cooling most reds isn't worth it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
I'm a particular fan of pinot noir, but they tend to be on the pricier side (they're picky about the climate they're grown in).

I didn’t know that. I’d wondered why there were few pinot noirs in the moderate price range.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
I'm a particular fan of pinot noir, but they tend to be on the pricier side (they're picky about the climate they're grown in).

I didn’t know that. I’d wondered why there were few pinot noirs in the moderate price range.

Yeah, pretty narrow range of growing climate, with the majority of it found in France, Northern California, Oregon, and New Zealand
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

As AH says, oxidation is the problem. Refrigeration retards it, but doesn't stop it. If you're going to take that long to drink a bottle, then there are systems that use inert gas to preserve it. One company is Coravin -- their stuff workds great, but is expensive, so you have to weigh the cost of one of their systems against the value of the wine you're preserving with it.

Another thing you can look at is buying half bottles.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I'd say no to waste the money on a wine fridge right now. I have one myself (a Vinotemp), but I have several wines that I'm laying down for a long time. You're not going to be drinking any wines you'll want to cellar. For wines you're going to be drinking right away, there's little point -- they don't get cold enough for a white (and your fridge does a great job with that anyway), and cooling most reds isn't worth it.

I won't be drinking them right away. As I said, I'll probably open 2 or 3 different flavors. I'm exploring. I'm at home all day most days. I used to drink a whole lot of Hennessy. I've left the hard liquor market. I'll be sipping off and on all day. Maybe a merlot this sip, chardonnay the next. I spend a lot of time on my compute, sipping and eating is what I do. I'm rereading Giovanni's Room, James Baldwin. I eat and sip most of the day. I don't gain weight, I've been a steady 150 since age 25. This wine thing is something I find interesting, a hobby so to speak.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I won't be drinking them right away. As I said, I'll probably open 2 or 3 different flavors. I'm exploring. I'm at home all day most days. I used to drink a whole lot of Hennessy. I've left the hard liquor market. I'll be sipping off and on all day. Maybe a merlot this sip, chardonnay the next. I spend a lot of time on my computer, sipping and eating is what I do. I eat and sip most of the day. I don't gain weight, I've been a steady 150 since age 25. This wine thing is something I find interesting, a hobby so to speak.

Lesson one: They are varietals, not flavors...
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Can I get some examples? Preferably <$15?

I enjoy wine but where can I go to learn more about them? I want to be able to act like I know what I'm talking about when I'm trying to impress the chicas.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Another suggestion for you then is winemaker dinners, or other similar events. They're put on all the time -- you just need to look around. You'll get a full multi-course meal, each with a wine pairing. Great for trying a lot of good wine, where they've matched it to the food you'll be eating. Ancillary benefit is that you usually get some pretty good food as well.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I won't be drinking them right away. As I said, I'll probably open 2 or 3 different flavors. I'm exploring. I'm at home all day most days. I used to drink a whole lot of Hennessy. I've left the hard liquor market. I'll be sipping off and on all day. Maybe a merlot this sip, chardonnay the next. I spend a lot of time on my computer, sipping and eating is what I do. I eat and sip most of the day. I don't gain weight, I've been a steady 150 since age 25. This wine thing is something I find interesting, a hobby so to speak.

Lesson one: They are varietals, not flavors...

Lesson one noted and tucked.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I enjoy wine but where can I go to learn more about them? I want to be able to act like I know what I'm talking about when I'm trying to impress the chicas.

Red Diamond Tempermental is a favorite of mine, while Chateau St Michelle Indian Wells Red Blend, Columbia Crest H3 Les Chaveaux and Snoqualmie Whistle Stop are some very good NW blends in your price range if you can find them.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject:

Michael David Petit Petit is also scrumptious at around 20 bucks.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
Another suggestion for you then is winemaker dinners, or other similar events. They're put on all the time -- you just need to look around. You'll get a full multi-course meal, each with a wine pairing. Great for trying a lot of good wine, where they've matched it to the food you'll be eating. Ancillary benefit is that you usually get some pretty good food as well.

Man that sounds like an awesome date idea. Never even heard of them before.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Red Diamond Tempermental is a favorite of mine, while Chateau St Michelle Indian Wells Red Blend, Columbia Crest H3 Les Chaveaux and Snoqualmie Whistle Stop are some very good NW blends in your price range if you can find them.

Excellent. I'll make a list to take with me to Bevmo.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: