PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject:

people drink wine?
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Conker wrote:
people drink wine?

One of the perks of being able to leave your halfway house legally (whenever your sentence is over) will be the ability to eat and drink a great many things.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
I'm a particular fan of pinot noir, but they tend to be on the pricier side (they're picky about the climate they're grown in).

I didn’t know that. I’d wondered why there were few pinot noirs in the moderate price range.

The upside is that it seems that pinot noirs are a bit more consistent as far as quality versus other varietals - at least from experience.

A few thoughts on some of the other things that have been said, I think for jodeke's purposes there's no need to get the expensive wine preservation systems. I have had decent success with battery operated vacuum control systems that will keep a bottle of wine serviceable for a few days. They do OK for anything more than a third of the bottle.

Another thing is to buy wine that is above the middle of the road. It's not just a matter of taste as much as it is that better wine from a good vintner just sits better, not only on the palate but in the system. One can drink a good bottle of wine in an evening and get a pleasant buzz without the heaviness later when one drinks something that's not what's on sale at TJ's. I don't say that to be snobby, I just have found that if you are going to drink wine, it's worth it on several levels to look for something that's truly enjoyable and make the most of that.

In that regard, my wife and I have changed our wine buying approach over the last several years. While we will occasionally buy a bottle of wine at the store in a pinch, we go the wine club route. I don't mean the kind where a company sends you random bottles each month. We have a handful of wineries up North that we have visited and enjoyed their wines and we get a collection of (mostly) quarterly deliveries of wines we have pre-selected with them. They just let us know what they have available and we pick what quantities of what we would like. Then we just have it stored for when we are ready. It's a little bit more expensive, but it's worth it.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
Impossible to say, since individual preferences dominate. I've had many of the wines on that list, and think some are reasonable, while others I wouldn't want to drink. Their stated goal is to come up with a list of reasonably-priced wines that are consistent, and I think they've done that.

I'd suggest using that list to help refine your tastes -- Which ones did you like? What was it about them that appealed to you? -- and then use the knowledge gained as a springboard for investigating similar wines to the ones you like.

Don't feel like you have to buy "fine" (i.e., expensive) wines to enjoy tasting. I always say it's easy to find a good $100 bottle of wine, and harder to find a good $10 bottle of wine, but they're out there. My current favorite "bargain" wine is a Cotes due Rhone called Parallele 45 that you can find for 11 or 12 bucks.

Also don't be afraid to go to your local wine merchant and ask them for advice. That's what they're there for.

was it whine that they found in some sunken ship in the middle of the ocean a few years back? How do you think that tastes LC?

https://www.livescience.com/50535-aged-champagne-shipwreck.html

It was actually champagne to be exact.

this was a good article about someone doing an experiment with their wines. putting one in the sea under water and leaving another back at home on land.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2157527/Why-wine-shipwrecks-really-DOES-taste-better-stuff-stored-chateau.html

Quote:
During the very lowest tides it was briefly exposed to the air, around 25 or 30 times over a six-month period.
Both barrels were retrieved in January for the wine to be bottled, tasted and analysed in a laboratory.
Tellus turned out to be rather disappointing. But Neptune was a good surprise all round.
‘When we tasted it, it was much better than it should have been,’ the expert taster Bernard Burtschy told the Paris gathering

Lab tests helped shed some light on the process: despite the barrel's watertight stainless steel plug, they confirmed that the wine was subtly changed by its ocean environment through a process of osmosis.
On the one hand the wine lost some of its alcohol content, while on the other it saw its sodium concentration rise, adding a subtly salty note that brings out the best of the tannins, Burtschy said.

‘In ancient times the Romans used to add a little salt water to their wine,’ he pointed out.

Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
Another suggestion for you then is winemaker dinners, or other similar events. They're put on all the time -- you just need to look around. You'll get a full multi-course meal, each with a wine pairing. Great for trying a lot of good wine, where they've matched it to the food you'll be eating. Ancillary benefit is that you usually get some pretty good food as well.

Also check with your local wine store. Most of them have tastings on a regular basis or can point you in the direction of places that do. Generally very inexpensive and offer cheeses and meats for pairings.

Not sure where you live, but there's a place in West LA called Wine Expo on Santa Monica and Stanford that has a tasting room in the back that's open every night and offers flights. Twice a week they have a 20 flight tasting for $20.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
Another suggestion for you then is winemaker dinners, or other similar events. They're put on all the time -- you just need to look around. You'll get a full multi-course meal, each with a wine pairing. Great for trying a lot of good wine, where they've matched it to the food you'll be eating. Ancillary benefit is that you usually get some pretty good food as well.

Also check with your local wine store. Most of them have tastings on a regular basis or can point you in the direction of places that do. Generally very inexpensive and offer cheeses and meats for pairings.

Not sure where you live, but there's a place in West LA called Wine Expo on Santa Monica and Stanford that has a tasting room in the back that's open every night and offers flights. Twice a week they have a 20 flight tasting for $20.

Wine Expo is great. Wally's has tastings as well, but not as frequently.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
I'm a particular fan of pinot noir, but they tend to be on the pricier side (they're picky about the climate they're grown in).

I didn’t know that. I’d wondered why there were few pinot noirs in the moderate price range.

The upside is that it seems that pinot noirs are a bit more consistent as far as quality versus other varietals - at least from experience.

In addition, pinot is the wine where the growing conditions really come through in the wine. The French call it "terroir." (It's like the French have a different word for everything...) One big thing for me is that I classify pinots in my head as "Burgundian" (those grown around a 45 degree latitude) and "non-Burgundian" (those grown elsewhere). The Burgundians include Burgundy, of course (their wine is predominantly pinot, and their latitude is around 45 degrees), and the Willamette Valley in Oregon (same -- in fact, I met the winemaker who started Oregon pinots, and he said he got the idea from the region's similarity to Burgundy). To me Burgundian pinot is softer, more delicate, more complex and subtle than, say, a Central Coast pinot. In fact, I was vindicated at Nobu in Newport Beach last month when the waiter brought me a glass of a pinot I wasn't familiar with (Straight Shooter) which he said came from the Central Coast. I took one taste and said it didn't come from the Central Coast. He insisted. I disagreed. Finally he went back to grab a bottle -- it came from the Willamette Valley.

Quote:
A few thoughts on some of the other things that have been said, I think for jodeke's purposes there's no need to get the expensive wine preservation systems. I have had decent success with battery operated vacuum control systems that will keep a bottle of wine serviceable for a few days. They do OK for anything more than a third of the bottle.

Yeah, as I said, you have to weigh the cost of the system against the cost of the wine you're preserving. If you're buying $10 bottles and saving half (i.e., $5 worth), then it takes a long time for the system to pay for itself.

Quote:
Another thing is to buy wine that is above the middle of the road. It's not just a matter of taste as much as it is that better wine from a good vintner just sits better, not only on the palate but in the system. One can drink a good bottle of wine in an evening and get a pleasant buzz without the heaviness later when one drinks something that's not what's on sale at TJ's. I don't say that to be snobby, I just have found that if you are going to drink wine, it's worth it on several levels to look for something that's truly enjoyable and make the most of that.

Agree with you here, but I also want to point out that this doesn't necessarily mean a more expensive wine (although it's easier to find good wines at higher price points than at lower price points).

Quote:
In that regard, my wife and I have changed our wine buying approach over the last several years. While we will occasionally buy a bottle of wine at the store in a pinch, we go the wine club route. I don't mean the kind where a company sends you random bottles each month. We have a handful of wineries up North that we have visited and enjoyed their wines and we get a collection of (mostly) quarterly deliveries of wines we have pre-selected with them. They just let us know what they have available and we pick what quantities of what we would like. Then we just have it stored for when we are ready. It's a little bit more expensive, but it's worth it.

I have a lot of favorites I keep going back to, and will order them from their respective wineries from time to time. But I also taste new stuff whenever I can -- restaurants, wine stores, wineries, places offering flights, etc. In fact, just last night I bought some Zenato Ripassa based on Omar's post.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
was it whine that they found in some sunken ship in the middle of the ocean a few years back? How do you think that tastes LC?

Impossible to say, but I think it's more likely for a significant change in environmental conditions to be detrimental than helpful. But this is why wine is traditionally bottled with cork -- it allows a limited exchange of information between the inside & outside of the bottle.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject:

Yeah Larry, The Willamette Pinots are the very best IMO.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:

Quote:

Agree with you here, but I also want to point out that this doesn't necessarily mean a more expensive wine (although it's easier to find good wines at higher price points than at lower price points).

You are certainly correct. Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that only expensive wine will give you a clean buzz without the after effects.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

safari_in_cali
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject:

Can anyone recommend a nice Burgundy red in the $30 range? It looks like highly rated wines from that region are $50+ (mostly closer to $100).
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject:

safari_in_cali wrote:
Can anyone recommend a nice Burgundy red in the $30 range? It looks like highly rated wines from that region are $50+ (mostly closer to $100).

See if you can find a Domaine de la Romanée-Conti.

(j/k -- This WSJ article looks like it has good recommendations: LINK)
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: