Why do people speed up to block you from changing lanes when they see your turn signal?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Has this happened to you before?
Yes, all the time.
45%
 45%  [ 21 ]
Yes, occasionally.
43%
 43%  [ 20 ]
Yes, rarely.
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
No, never.
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 46

LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Because they are HRP's

Human Road Pylons

A species that should be rooted out and extinguished
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
I am a gatekeeping MF on the road

If you didn't take advantage of the on-ramp to accelerate to merging speed which is faster than the flow of traffic, (bleep) off, get behind me. If you're trying to change lanes but are hesitant, and you sit at 59mph with your sphincter puckered and your blinker on for 10 seconds and make me have to think about braking, (bleep) off, get behind me, you're driving too slowly

If you're trying to merge onto the 5--->2fwy interchange at the last second just before the fork, LOL, (bleep) off, I'm creating a one-man forcefield, have fun going to Sacramento

If you're on the 110 trying to get into the 101 interchange without waiting in line, (bleep) off, I will do my best to make sure you have to exit on stadium way to get where you're going

You just caused a spontaneous laugh spasm that caused me to expel beer through my nose.

Strangely, my sinuses feel a bit better!
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject:

I drive OC freeways, so I can't really speak on LA freeways, but driving BMW's the last 13 /14 years people actually SLOW down and let me in front of them as opposed to trying to speeding up and preventing the inevitable.

I'm sure other luxury vehicle drivers experience the same thing...

On the other hand, I have a friend who drives a full size GMC truck into LA everyday and he told me he never signals when he wants over because people speed up and try to block him, so he ends up cutting everyone off (lol), so I know it happens
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Why do people speed up to block you from changing lanes when they see your turn signal?

CandyCanes wrote:
Has anyone else experienced this driving around LA and its surrounding areas? I don't understand why people do this. It's one thing to speed up to get out of the way, but these people literally speed up to block the lane change and then slow down again.
when I was taught to drive I was taught the bad habit of not turning your blinker on until the past moment on the fwy due this very thing that I experienced myself all the time.

I call it the Big KId line leader syndrome. Just like when we were kids and hide to lineup all the time. someone wanted to be the line leader. and that someone is now grown with a car. They still have to be in front, even if infront isn't moving or going any quicker.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject:

If you didn't take advantage of the on-ramp to accelerate to merging speed which is faster than the flow of traffic, (bleep) off, get behind me. If you're trying to change lanes but are hesitant, and you sit at 59mph with your sphincter puckered and your blinker on for 10 seconds and make me have to think about braking, (bleep) off, get behind me, you're driving too slowly

If you're trying to merge onto the 5--->2fwy interchange at the last second just before the fork, LOL, (bleep) off, I'm creating a one-man forcefield, have fun going to Sacramento

If you're on the 110 trying to get into the 101 interchange without waiting in line, (bleep) off, I will do my best to make sure you have to exit on stadium way to get where you're going

This is my guy right here. Screw late mergers. I always say, if you want to pull that BS, you better be good at it.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject:

When someone is trying to take advantage, I block them out and say to myself “They got pinched.”
That’s how you win.

Pro tip: if someone on your right is trying to cut you off under the guise of “merging”, keep your right front bumper a foot to the left of the back corner of the car in front of you and ride his arse closely. The only way for the merger to cut in is to hit you.
Surprisingly few have that conviction.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
Screw late mergers. I always say, if you want to pull that BS, you better be good at it.

Oh believe me, I am very good at it.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

But, driver culture/education/etiquette in the U.S. has a LONG way to go.

You mean it's FALLEN a LONG way. It didn't used to be like this. I've only noticed it increasing over the last 10-15 years.

I found it interesting what one poster said about lane-changing without signalling because they assume the driver in the next lane will try to block them. I don't agree with that but I'd never considered that perspective.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

You mean it's FALLEN a LONG way. It didn't used to be like this. I've only noticed it increasing over the last 10-15 years.

I found it interesting what one poster said about lane-changing without signalling because they assume the driver in the next lane will try to block them. I don't agree with that but I'd never considered that perspective.
i was literally taught to wait til the last moment to signal if you're in a tight traffic situation on the fwy otherwise they will not let you get over. It's true about 95% of the time. most people will not allow you to get over if they can help it. There's something wrong with most adults that drive. They are not going any where, yet they will speed up to make sure you dont get in front anyway. Some will be going slow. so you cant get behind them. then once you speed up to get in front perhaps to get over and exit. they then feel some type of way about it and they speed up to keep you from getting in front. it's crazy.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

i was literally taught to wait til the last moment to signal if you're in a tight traffic situation on the fwy otherwise they will not let you get over. It's true about 95% of the time. most people will not allow you to get over if they can help it. There's something wrong with most adults that drive. They are not going any where, yet they will speed up to make sure you dont get in front anyway. Some will be going slow. so you cant get behind them. then once you speed up to get in front perhaps to get over and exit. they then feel some type of way about it and they speed up to keep you from getting in front. it's crazy.

I once tried to move into the left lane with tons of space. As I was starting to, the lady behind slammed on her horn and held it, and then accelerated as well. I thought she might have been in a blind spot or something so I had to swerve back into my original lane and almost overcorrected into the lane to the right of me.

This honestly needs to be a ticketable offense on the same tier as speeding.

A few weeks ago (not on the highway), some idiot refused to slow down and let me in despite my signal having been on for more than five seconds. I sped up and changed lanes anyway and he honked and acted like I cut him off.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:

This is my guy right here. Screw late mergers. I always say, if you want to pull that BS, you better be good at it.

yep I do my best to block these jerks too. I even slow down if they give up on merging in front of me and try to slip behind me. However most people who do this dont give up from what I see. They will shamelessly hold up whatever lane they are in at a full stop until they are able to merge in.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:

yep I do my best to block these jerks too. I even slow down if they give up on merging in front of me and try to slip behind me. However most people who do this dont give up from what I see. They will shamelessly hold up whatever lane they are in at a full stop until they are able to merge in.

I've started moving out into the right lane and blocking the line of people trying that. That really pisses people off.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
Screw late mergers. I always say, if you want to pull that BS, you better be good at it.

Oh believe me, I am very good at it.

Hey, I tip my cap to you. But I promise you're not getting in front of me, so you better find someone else.

I'm pretty mellow now. In my early 20s I induced a lot of road rage.

Last edited by The Lebrons on Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

You just caused a spontaneous laugh spasm that caused me to expel beer through my nose.

lmao that's how the vikings decongested

The Lebrons wrote:

yup.

don't break the rules of the road (except for speeding, which I'm fine with as are most LEO)

don't cut in line
don't make unsafe lane changes
don't make people brake for your bull (bleep) driving. I'd rather miss an exit and then loop back around than have to turn a lane red with my schmuckery

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
When someone is trying to take advantage, I block them out and say to myself “They got pinched.”
That’s how you win.

Pro tip: if someone on your right is trying to cut you off under the guise of “merging”, keep your right front bumper a foot to the left of the back corner of the car in front of you and ride his arse closely. The only way for the merger to cut in is to hit you.

not surprised that you are a traffic templar. The world needs this service. One of the most beautiful things I have ever seen is a group of 5-car bros acting as a single phalanx to deflect some (bleep)'s attempt at an undocumented migration into the 101 interchange...remarkable when you consider that there was no way to communicate, but all of us closed our gaps, and held formation with about 50-60 feet of dotted line remaining and the guy at the head of the snake slowed down so as not to break rank. Everyone in the piece of (bleep)'s lane laid on their horns like the phantom of the opera until he finally moved on past the K-rail. People are beautiful when they unite for the common good.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

lmao that's how the vikings decongested

The Lebrons wrote:

yup.

don't break the rules of the road (except for speeding, which I'm fine with as are most LEO)

don't cut in line
don't make unsafe lane changes
don't make people brake for your bull (bleep) driving. I'd rather miss an exit and then loop back around than have to turn a lane red with my schmuckery

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
That’s how you win.

not surprised that you are a traffic templar. The world needs this service. One of the most beautiful things I have ever seen is a group of 5-car bros acting as a single phalanx to deflect some (bleep)'s attempt at an undocumented migration into the 101 interchange...remarkable when you consider that there was no way to communicate, but all of us closed our gaps, and held formation with about 50-60 feet of dotted line remaining and the guy at the head of the snake slowed down so as not to break rank. Everyone in the piece of (bleep)'s lane laid on their horns like the phantom of the opera until he finally moved on past the K-rail. People are beautiful when they unite for the common good.

Church
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject:

https://i.imgur.com/YkUeLdg.jpg

kill yourselves
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject:

kill yourselves

The black car is especially flagrant trying to come in from two lanes across.

I can promise you that would not happen on my watch if I am white pickup truck.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

kill yourselves

The black car is especially flagrant trying to come in from two lanes across.

I can promise you that would not happen on my watch if I am white pickup truck.

not all heroes wear capes
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject:

They don't trust your, perceived, aggressive driving and don't want to be behind a new car

FWIW.. I rarely have it happen but I am an alert driver who does my best to be courteous to other drivers and brush off the asshats out there. I wasn't always this way though.. but never intentionally rude to a stranger
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
It happens much more often when I drive my Prius.

A summons has been issued for appearance at Los Angeles Municipal Court on a charge of Aggravated Man Card Misuse.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
happens all the time. I dont put on my signal until I see an opening to not give a driver a chance to close off the space.
Im guilty of preventing people from changing into a lane in front of me myself but the only time I do that is when Im in a slowed down junction or exit lane waiting my turnand someone thinks they can just waltz in at the last second from the more clear lanes to just cut off everyone who was waiting their turn... I despise that and dont let someone just cut me off.

This is what I do too. If yall think LA is bad, try Arizona. People will drive passive and slow as (bleep) until they see you want to change lanes. Then, they pretend they're Nascar drivers until you cut them off (at which point they proceed to reduce their speed to their usual 10 under the limit).

As for the late merge/exit drivers, I once almost sent an SUV driver, who was trying to do this, into the divider. He proceeded to jam his brakes and go behind me (where there was 0 traffic...he was just trying to be a dick) and flip me off as he passed me on the other side. The audacity to get pissed off that someone did not let you perform a near-collision causing maneuver is astonishing. If you're going to try that (bleep), best believe I give 0 (bleep) about your safety over my own. Granted, there are lunatics who will welcome an accident out of sheer stupidity. I let those morons go because their IQ is too low to know any better, and I don't want their natural selection taking me out too.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject:

I now have a 4 mile drive to work, on two surface streets, one has a 45mph - which everyone goes 50+ and the other has a 60mph speed limit, if I make all the signals it takes me 7 minutes, if I miss them all it takes me 15 minutes..

I have learned to drive carefree and let the other guys cut in front of me, no problem.

I'm driving completely stress free now, put on some reggae (although I can only listen to 2 or 3 songs) and I'm mellow-man...

Next year, I'm selling the Beamer and gonna get a truck (for camping) and the transformation will be complete...
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
I now have a 4 mile drive to work, on two surface streets, one has a 45mph - which everyone goes 50+ and the other has a 60mph speed limit, if I make all the signals it takes me 7 minutes, if I miss them all it takes me 15 minutes..

I have learned to drive carefree and let the other guys cut in front of me, no problem.

I'm driving completely stress free now, put on some reggae (although I can only listen to 2 or 3 songs) and I'm mellow-man...

Next year, I'm selling the Beamer and gonna get a truck (for camping) and the transformation will be complete...

I once had an angel woman enter my life.. lol..
She lives in Miami with two kids

She told me "I never get upset in traffic"

I try to remember it and it sure makes driving more enjoyable

"I'm always in a hurry because I'm always late
I'm always late because I'm always in a hurry"
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject:

Human nature: Me first.
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject:

Late mergers are flagrantly breaking the traffic laws.
People who speed up to block people from merging legally are A-Holes.
People who speed up to block flagrant late mergers from coming in are OK in my book.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: